11/1 | Assumption | 7:00PM (Varsity App) (EXHIBITION)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/1 | Assumption | 7:00PM (Varsity App) (EXHIBITION)

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago I believe it's important for some of us to take a step back and avoid overreacting to our performance against an inferior opponent like Assumption. I understand that some of our players were injured, but let's not forget that we lost to Harvard by 7 points. I heard that Harvard had a strong start and built a substantial lead, and although we made a few comebacks, the outcome was never really in doubt. Personally, I don't consider Harvard to be a strong team, but I don't think we should read too much into that game either.

Had we killed Harvard and dominated against Assumption I would be more excited. Right now I think it's way too early to know. I think we need to see what this team looks like against some D1 opponents, and it starts tomorrow.

Personally, I believe there's a lot to be excited about. I see this year as the first step in a challenging rebuilding process, and I expect our team to maintain around a .500 record throughout the year. I'll be happy if we achieve that
Why did it take so long for any scrimmage Intel to come out?
Because Archie Miller did not want it out
If Archie Milller wanted info on that scrimmage out it would have come out

Miller could release the box score to any single media person he wants to or to all media persons (except Rhody Vault of course) today if he wanted to but clearly he doesn't. And nobody else in his staff or team have released any info on the scrimmage either. Clearly that is by design.

99%+ of all other secret scrimmages this year have not released info either.

Box scores are readily available for charity scrimmages open to the public with entry donations and for Exhibition games.

Last year's URI-Penn State game was crickets too.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I actually think House is an upgrade from Ish and I loved Ish. He is very aggressive taking the ball to the hoop. He's going to be at the free throw line A LOT. If he can hit 80%ish of his FTs, he's going to score a lot of points. Not a great shooter, but a decent shooter and he's definitely a scorer.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago I actually think House is an upgrade from Ish and I loved Ish. He is very aggressive taking the ball to the hoop. He's going to be at the free throw line A LOT. If he can hit 80%ish of his FTs, he's going to score a lot of points. Not a great shooter, but a decent shooter and he's definitely a scorer.
I don’t know how you can make that statement watching House in one game vs a D2 team with Leggett having a borderline All A10 season last year.

Who knows, you may end up being right, but no clue how that can be said now.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago I actually think House is an upgrade from Ish and I loved Ish. He is very aggressive taking the ball to the hoop. He's going to be at the free throw line A LOT. If he can hit 80%ish of his FTs, he's going to score a lot of points. Not a great shooter, but a decent shooter and he's definitely a scorer.
I hope your post ages well, but I certainly won't take that to the bank just yet.

Ish was special and basically had to carry almost the whole team on his back.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
I don’t know how you can make that statement watching House in one game vs a D2 team with Leggett having a borderline All A10 season last year.

Who knows, you may end up being right, but no clue how that can be said now.
It's called an opinion. That's what we do here.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Plus House did put up numbers last season and Archie expects him to continue that here.

Now, it is debatable that he (House) didn’t put up numbers at the A10 level but then, what is the A10’s level currently that one can definitively say House will not perform similarly here?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

House and Ish had similar production levels in their good years, although in vastly different ways. Ish was a high efficiency player last year, whereas House is a player that attacks the rim and draws fouls. House is probably better for a "rebuilding" team that needs someone to do something with the ball when the shot clock is winding down. Ish probably fits in better on a good team, because he can play off the ball better. Of the players we brought in, I'd probably have the highest confidence about House's production.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago House and Ish had similar production levels in their good years, although in vastly different ways. Ish was a high efficiency player last year, whereas House is a player that attacks the rim and draws fouls. House is probably better for a "rebuilding" team that needs someone to do something with the ball when the shot clock is winding down. Ish probably fits in better on a good team, because he can play off the ball better. Of the players we brought in, I'd probably have the highest confidence about House's production.
Leggett shot 39% from the field and 32% from 3.

Wouldn’t exactly call that “high efficiency.”
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago House and Ish had similar production levels in their good years, although in vastly different ways. Ish was a high efficiency player last year, whereas House is a player that attacks the rim and draws fouls. House is probably better for a "rebuilding" team that needs someone to do something with the ball when the shot clock is winding down. Ish probably fits in better on a good team, because he can play off the ball better. Of the players we brought in, I'd probably have the highest confidence about House's production.
Yup, they are different players, but I think House will be able to match most of Ish's production. Hopefully, House won't have to shoulder the load that Ish did. I agree that Ish fits perfectly as a second or third option on a good team. He had some issues being the top dog, but he also had zero help, so for him to still lead our team in PER last season was impressive. I hope House will be able to draw fouls as well as he did last season in a tougher conference. My guess is his numbers will drop a little, but he will still lead our team in scoring.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
Leggett shot 39% from the field and 32% from 3.

Wouldn’t exactly call that “high efficiency.”
True! Maybe I'm still weighing his freshman year too heavily, when he shot 42 percent from 3 on a team with better guard play. I'd also note that he shot 43 percent from the field through the first 16 games, and 35 percent through the final 15, fiddling around with Sports Reference. That could have been random, but I got the impression it was more because teams realized he was our only decent offensive player.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think you could be right , at the worst I think House could be the equal of Ish
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Ish nearly made the All Conference team.

House will make the All Conference team.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Ish nearly made the All Conference team.

House will make the All Conference team.
From the looks of it tonight we got a steal with Jaden House !!
2 x