‘24 NY PF/C Amdy Ndiaye (Pitt)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: ‘24 NY PF/C Amdy Ndiaye (URI Offer)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 months ago I’m thinking Rory may not be here next year. This guy would be a nice replacement. (And no I have no inside information to back that up. 😜)
That's not a stretch to say
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago What time is he announcing?
1pm
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Committed to Pitt
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

That sucks.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

NIL days make me think schools like URI will never get 4/5 star players again.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago NIL days make me think schools like URI will never get 4/5 star players again.
Not out of high school anyway. Maybe in the portal when a 4 star kid is unhappy about playing time. That's about it.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago NIL days make me think schools like URI will never get 4/5 star players again.
Do you mean hs or transfers?

We currently have a 4* star in Weston.

Tchkiou, Carey were a 4*.
0 x
Go Rhody
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

This sucks. Amdy has a compelling skill set for a guy his size. Would have been an excellent recruiting win.

We were in there until the end so it is disappointing but not too many guys with his size and skill set come into the A10. Can’t help but think NIL played a significant role but that is only educated spec on my part as I have no solid proof or inside intel on his reasoning to choose Pitt.

I will track his progress to watch how he does at Pitt and against top competition just out of curiosity to see if my assessment skills are still competent.

We will be fine. We already have some good young players already in the program or coming in to continue to build on with.

On to the next prospect/transfer.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
Do you mean hs or transfers?

We currently have a 4* star in Weston.

Tchkiou, Carey were a 4*.
Recruits specifically
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Here is a quote from the article on his announcement. No mention of NIL being the reason for his choice.

“I chose Pitt because it feels like home and coach Capel is a great coach,” Ndiaye said to On3. “I trust coach Capel and he’s got a plan that I can be a big piece of.”
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

These are the convos where NIL becomes the easy answer and the boogie man. Maybe the kid, I don't know, just feels like it would be cooler to play Duke and UNC than St Bonaventure and Duquesne.

Also can someone point me to the pre NIL time period when it was easy for URI or any A10 school to land 4 star recruits? It has always been hard and we have always lost way way way more of those battles than we have won.

Also I'm pretty sure Archie's winning at UD was done with 2 and 3 stars not 4 stars. Kendall Pollard, Scoochie Smith, Dashawn Pierre, etc. None of them were 4 star recruits. And the league was tougher then. We'll be fine.
8 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago These are the convos where NIL becomes the easy answer and the boogie man. Maybe the kid, I don't know, just feels like it would be cooler to play Duke and UNC than St Bonaventure and Duquesne.

Also can someone point me to the pre NIL time period when it was easy for URI or any A10 school to land 4 star recruits? It has always been hard and we have always lost way way way more of those battles than we have won.

Also I'm pretty sure Archie's winning at UD was done with 2 and 3 stars not 4 stars. Kendall Pollard, Scoochie Smith, Dashawn Pierre, etc. None of them were 4 star recruits. And the league was tougher then. We'll be fine.
Yes, we will. But we would have been finer :lol: if we got this kid.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago These are the convos where NIL becomes the easy answer and the boogie man. Maybe the kid, I don't know, just feels like it would be cooler to play Duke and UNC than St Bonaventure and Duquesne.

Exactly! Making NIL the big bad thing to blame everything on is getting kind of out of control in my opinion.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying that NIL was the top reason here. But NIL has to be a big factor in many cases. A lot of these kids come from nothing. So, if X school is offering one thing and Y school is offering another, it's only natural for the kid to take the better offer in order to help himself and his family a little bit.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah for sure, I'm not going to pretend its never a factor at all, my issue is more with just assuming its the default reason we lose any recruiting battle now (not saying you are doing that Billyboy, just talking in general terms here).

And as BAR pointed out above, it's not like URI was regularly getting commits from 4* players before and now since NIL that has just stopped.

So it's obviously a piece of the puzzle, and it could certainly tip the scales if all else is equal, but it just feels like sometimes NIL is being used as the reason for everything on here lately.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I hate NIL, but I might not hate it as much if we started dropping big bucks and getting 4*’s to sign here instead of a P6 school.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I don’t think NIL is the sole reason, but it can contribute.
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘24 NY PF/C Amdy Ndiaye (Pitt)

Unread post by reef »

Also if he struggles year 1 maybe lack of playing time and wants to leave we have already built that relationship??
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

... or just wait for Jeff Capel to get sanctioned by the NCAA again.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Probably makes sense these days to keep the recruiting threads on players that initially commit to go elsewhere open for some six years. Could potentially end up being their second, third, or fourth school destination. The present norm these days has to be an average somewhere just above two schools per college career.
0 x