$42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

All things Rhody Rams football.
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Re: $42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

Unread post by Bartoburger »

One tier for now with the luxury boxes and press box then add a secomd tier if ticket demand increases. Guessing the new east side stands will be in the 7500-8000 capacity. A shame there are did not include endzone seating.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 5 months ago Obviously besides being wider than the current stands they could also be higher which adds to the design in addition to increased capacity. Personally I like the two tier option, but maybe there are drawback?… cold in the shade of the upper tier? I agree 42 million in RI will not go as far as in other states, maybe it’s transport of materials that increases costs, but I would guess it’s the contractors more so? We also have no idea on the amenities included. Will there be a beer garden? Will locate restaurants be able to set up shop vs the crappy RC style food? Lots of unknowns. It might not be perfect but what we have now is completely embarrassing and watching the East stands being torn down will give me nothing but joy! Lastly I would not mind some sort of end zone seating. Maybe just room for 1k at each end zone.
Ha ha! Good one. They don't have food at the Ry...that people buy...do they ?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bartoburger wrote: 5 months ago One tier for now with the luxury boxes and press box then add a secomd tier if ticket demand increases. Guessing the new east side stands will be in the 7500-8000 capacity. A shame there are did not include endzone seating.
We don't know if end zone seating is included or not, the drawings out are just for illustrative purposes and are not the official plans
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
Bartoburger wrote: 5 months ago One tier for now with the luxury boxes and press box then add a secomd tier if ticket demand increases. Guessing the new east side stands will be in the 7500-8000 capacity. A shame there are did not include endzone seating.
We don't know if end zone seating is included or not, the drawings out are just for illustrative purposes and are not the official plans
Just curious about end zone seating. I'd prefer to sit on sidelines always over end zone. Is this desire to add end zone seating just to add capacity? Or is this a more desired seat location to sidelines?
Last edited by ramster 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
Just curious about dnd zone seating. I'd prefer to sit on sidelines always over end zone. Is this desire to add end zone seating just to add capacity? Or is this a more desired seat location to sidelines?
Getting ready for concerts? Maybe? Hopefully...?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just curious about end zone seating. I'd prefer to sit on sidelines always over end zone. Is this desire to add end zone seating just to add capacity? Or is this a more desired seat location to sidelines?
It makes it feel/look like an actual college stadium instead of a high school field.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think if you made that student seating it could create a tougher environment for opposing teams at that end zone and it helps it to make the stadium look better/more college worthy
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's the perfect student section. Don't even need actual seats....build a hill like amphitheater style. Let it be a party
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago

It's the perfect student section. Don't even need actual seats....build a hill like amphitheater style. Let it be a party
gimme a Shaidzon tent and some of those $3 pours!!
1 x
:lol:
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

End zone seating is also a perfect location for the band. The band now takes away really good seats that could be purchased. Just saying.

Also I would really hope they keep the old score board and put it in the opposite end zone.

Such a competitive disadvantage having it on one side of the field.
Remember all the complaining about the score board at the Ryan Center, that’s why they add that smaller ones on the end zone concrete. With score and time.
Hopefully they learned from the past and don’t waste that scoreboard.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Twenty Year old photo of redesign looks more exciting.
NewMeade.jpg
5 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

Sigh....that rendering is top notch. A shame that verison never came to fruition. URI built part of that plan- the west side stands. Then typical Rhody politics were involved that blocked the rest of the expansion from happening. URI football interest is increasing with each winning season. No reason Meade cant get average attendance close to 8k a game. Here is to hoping for a nice student endzone section. Make it similar to the endzone seating at Univ. of Oklahoma!- kidding, it is probably more in their endzone than all of Meade.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could shut down and reroute West Alumni Avenue and build an Amphitheatre Hill on the North end of the field.
Currently plenty of room to do the same Amphitheatre Hill seating on the South End of the Field.
The New Scoreboard is tall enough to allow for a Student Hill.
These enhancements could be done now well ahead of the $42 million expansion. Relatively low cost compared to physical stands. Just bring in the dirt and cover it with beautiful Kingston RI home grown sod.
Last edited by ramster 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OBRAM wrote: 5 months ago Twenty Year old photo of redesign looks more exciting. NewMeade.jpg
Beautiful

THAT is what we need!
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The problem is the road behind the North End Zone doesn't allow for any great idea anyone has had about expanding this stadium.

If this were Bryant, the Bryant President could wake up tomorrow and say, "I don't like that road being there, hindering my stadium design" and within 24 hours, bulldozers would be where that road used to be, demolishing away.

Here at URI, everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE, knows what the problem is, but no one can do anything about it. Someone will come along with "well, we named that road after URI's top rower back in 1918, so we can't possibly move that road, it would be disrespectful"

PC can do whatever they want on their campus. Here at URI, it requires a super majority 2/3rds vote by Congress.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The final design will be unveiled in the future. What was shown is a basic 3d modeling concept. Most they can do is 6-7 row bleachers at the end zones. Better then nothing I suppose. Also room to beef up the east side.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 5 months ago The problem is the road behind the North End Zone doesn't allow for any great idea anyone has had about expanding this stadium.

If this were Bryant, the Bryant President could wake up tomorrow and say, "I don't like that road being there, hindering my stadium design" and within 24 hours, bulldozers would be where that road used to be, demolishing away.

Here at URI, everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE, knows what the problem is, but no one can do anything about it. Someone will come along with "well, we named that road after URI's top rower back in 1918, so we can't possibly move that road, it would be disrespectful"

PC can do whatever they want on their campus. Here at URI, it requires a super majority 2/3rds vote by Congress.
Honestly I don't have a problem with no seating in the north end zone, but ideally you would be putting up the new scoreboard there leaving the south end zone a mostly blank canvas to do whatever you wanted
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago The final design will be unveiled in the future. What was shown is a basic 3d modeling concept. Most they can do is 6-7 row bleachers at the end zones. Better then nothing I suppose. Also room to beef up the east side.
Exactly. The 20 year old design is better developed because it was hoped to be just added into the Ryan Center project. What we have no is basically no more developed than a quick scetch and people shouldn't be basing opinions off of it
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jumping to conclusions based off of sketches is what we do best though.
1 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

If the 20 year old model actually was built it would be hands down the best stadium in the CAA. It’s an artist rendering but boy what a beautiful layout. URI might not make that happen this time, but there is no reason why they can’t get close. We need, I totally get its a long long shot, some deep pocketed booster(s) to add another 10-15 million to the states 42 million. Wow what a facility, a true really tell tale sign to everyone that football at URI is here to say and we will be a force to be reckoned with be it FCS or dare say to FBS.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 5 months ago If the 20 year old model actually was built it would be hands down the best stadium in the CAA. It’s an artist rendering but boy what a beautiful layout. URI might not make that happen this time, but there is no reason why they can’t get close. We need, I totally get its a long long shot, some deep pocketed booster(s) to add another 10-15 million to the states 42 million. Wow what a facility, a true really tell tale sign to everyone that football at URI is here to say and we will be a force to be reckoned with be it FCS or dare say to FBS.
Completely agree
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Could shut down and reroute West Alumni Avenue and build an Amphitheatre Hill on the North end of the field.
Currently plenty of room to do the same Amphitheatre Hill seating on the South End of the Field.
The New Scoreboard is tall enough to allow for a Student Hill.
These enhancements could be done now well ahead of the $42 million expansion. Relatively low cost compared to physical stands. Just bring in the dirt and cover it with beautiful Kingston RI home grown sod.
Wait, there's home grown sod around here? Actually, those sod farms do make good neighbors...nice and quiet, fake wolf cutouts to keep the real wolves away, you can always get your passenger to look when you drive by...
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago The final design will be unveiled in the future. What was shown is a basic 3d modeling concept. Most they can do is 6-7 row bleachers at the end zones. Better then nothing I suppose. Also room to beef up the east side.
Exactly. The 20 year old design is better developed because it was hoped to be just added into the Ryan Center project. What we have no is basically no more developed than a quick scetch and people shouldn't be basing opinions off of it
As I like to say, (and I don't know where I "stole" this quote from), "If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?" You can replace time with money here.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 5 months ago
As I like to say, (and I don't know where I "stole" this quote from), "If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?" You can replace time with money here.
Agree. Do it right even if you can't go all of it at the beginning. Have the master plan and build towards it.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

While many athletics facilities at URI need improvement, at least it is not as bad as it was at FDU.

Fairleigh Dickinson not watching game film in shower anymore
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... er-anymore

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I tried to get a potential timeline of when we might see what the replacement for the East stands would look like at the last game, but no such luck. My guess will be this summer or early fall. I have to assume we'll see a design before the wrecking ball hits Meade after the 2024 season
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Further proof that what we've seen so far isn't what the finished product will look like, we're only now selecting the architecture and engineering firm

https://www.independentri.com/news/arti ... 9cc5d.html
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I wouldn't say no to HoK. They are the ones who designed the Ryan Center. People seemed to like their design for Meade Stadium the best. Would probably be the best bet to get congruent structures that look like they belong with one another.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

HOK Sports architecture company is now Populous...

https://populous.com/our-global-studio/our-history
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago HOK Sports architecture company is now Populous...

https://populous.com/our-global-studio/our-history
Populous did the New Practice Facility and as you said the Ryan Center

Big outfit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populous_(company)
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Look at all of the stadiums alone. Gillette, Manchester United, London Olympic stadium, Arrowhead, Wembley, the Soldier Field rebuild...

https://populous.com/portfolio#stadiums

They even did the stadiums for the two football teams from where my wife comes from. Southend United Stadium and London Stadium...

https://populous.com/project/southend-united-stadium

https://populous.com/project/london-201 ... ic-stadium

The relationship between those two teams would be like the Patriots and the Giants here, prior to 1985. West Ham United, the Hammers, is a well established club that was featured in the movie Hooligans (or Green Street Hooligans) and the traditional team of the majority of fans from Essex. Southend United is the team that is literally just down the street from my in laws. Kind of like when the Patriots used to practice at Bryant for their summer training camp. They only made it into the league that the bigger teams are in just a few years ago, they've been steadily building a following.
0 x
UNHwildcat18
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by UNHwildcat18 »

Bartoburger wrote: 10 months ago Hopefully Meades new capacity will be closer to 15-18k. Thee reason is to get to stronger football conference. Please note- UNH unofficial long term-10- 20 years is to get rid of the track. Then bump the football field closer to the "new"grand stands while demolishing the current basketball gym which would be replaced by another grand stand/luxury seating area. This is survival mode right now for the CAA teams! I think sooner than later you will see this conference go FBS, that 12 team playoff is no joke and if a CAA or any other non power 5 conference is licking their chops at chance to run the table and possibly host a playoff game.
ummmm.... Source?
0 x