Reports from Pre-Italy Open Practice

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Essam
Steve Chubin

Reports from Pre-Italy Open Practice

Unread post by Essam »

The athletic ability quickness were very evident. The improvement of Mike Powell, Jordan Hare , T.J. Buchanan andXavier Mumfordl shown forth in some of tne drills, Mike AAaman had a large boot on and had limited participation.
E,C. Mathews Jarelle Reischel, Biggie Minnis <I. Onkyekaba, Gilydas Biruta and Hassan Martin were very impressive.
The drills were very sharp and well executed for the first 45 minutes but the play and shooting left a lot to be disered as the player went past the 45 minute mark.
All coaches were very
active and participated in the drills.
Preston received the loudest ovation when the team and coach
ies were introduced
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Acctual Practice For Italy trip

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Overall I was impressed, high points for me was the power of big O, the skill level of EC and the improvement of Powell and Jordan. Hassan looked good. All big men can rebound and push the ball. X and TJ look good as expected. I liked the chemistry too. Players seem to be getting along. Coaching staff was very involved
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

After watching the practice tonight, I can see where Biruta will be a beast this season. Clearly our best big man. The Big O can rebound, but his shot needs work. Hare truly has improved, will be much improved, especially in the more uptempo style to be played this season. Hassan looks to be all of 6'7', and will be a major contributor with more seasoning.

I was very impressed with Biggie's D, he's relentless. EC has some special moves, but I'm not sure he'll start right away. The guy I was most impressed with, was Powell early in the practice, before he got tired. He's got the best handle on the team, but stay out of the paint. His shot has vastly improved, along with Munford's.

I was getting tired watching them, if they practice like that every time. One last thing. This team will play very aggressive defense. They will foul a lot, but make life miserable for many teams. I don't think scoring will be a problem. Hurley has so many more options, and so much more talent than last year.
0 x
rhodyram74
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyram74 »

Now I know why college basketball is my favorite sport. Just going to the open practice has me hyped for the season to start. A few thoughts: Like the leadership that X was showing on the floor. He looked real smooth with his shot. Like the previous posts, Powell showed control with the ball, good decision making during the 5-on-5 drill, definite improvement. You can tell the physical intensity of the drills are new to the freshmen, especially EC. He was grabbing his shorts quite a bit. EC has some ups for sure. Martin is going to be a great addition, certainly on defense and rebounding. Gil never stops, always moving, really strong. You can tell Hare has put on some weight and seems more comfortable this year. The drills were non-stop, building stamina for the players, full speed all the time. Coach Hurley, along with the players, thanked all the fans in the stands for coming. Bottom-line liked what I saw. Shooting will come. Not worried that we will be anemic like last year.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Any semblance of an inside game?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought Powell looked good too. He looks quicker than last year and under much better control. His outside shot looks better too. TJ looks to be quicker too and strong, although his basketball skills are still a little limited. He plays hard though. X looks good. He seems to be trying to become more of a leader. Hare was moving well, but he still has a tough time catching passes. He will benefit from the uptempo style. Big O is a specimen. He will help on the boards. He seems limited offensively and most of his points will come within a few feet of the basket. Biggie will see plenty of time. He is very good at going to the hoop and either finishing or dishing. He also had a monster dunk. His outside shot isn't great, with very little rotation, kind of like a knuckleball, but other than that, I like his game. I expected more from Reischel offensively, maybe he wasn't having a good night. He moves well on defense though. Aaman was in the boot and sat on the sideline. Biruta does everything well. His outside shot isn't great, but good enough to keep defenses honest. He is tremendous around the basket, both with moves and little jump hooks with either hand. He is surprisingly quick off his feet when hitting the glass, so he will score a lot on second efforts too. He will only play 2 years here, but I predict he'll go down as one of the best Rams ever. He's that good. EC has obvious offensive skills, both his lateral movement and straight ahead speed are exceptional. He goes to the basket well, and makes some nice passes. His outside shot is a work in progress, but I think he'll at least be a decent shooter. He seemed gassed at times, moreso than other players. He might be in good shape, but not quite in 'Hurley' shape yet. Hassan is also very athletic. He plays the best defense of the 3 frosh. His ballhandling and outside shot need some work, but with the drills the team does, I see both of them improving. Butler has a nice looking shot. He could spell X for short minutes, but I still see X playing 32 or 33 minutes a game. He's simply our best scorer, although Biruta will take some of the load off of X in the scoring area. That's about it. It's still hard to tell how long it will take this team to gel, but the talent is there and the early start and the trip will help. Oh, Tom Penders was in the section I was in towards the front. He was talking to Dan before the practice and seeked out Mike Powell after the practice to talk to him. mMike was smiling, so I imagine Penders gave him a good word.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

All good reports. I really liked Hassan. He is a true "4" and will help this team tremendously. Last year, there was no such thing as a power forward. He rebounds and not a bad mid range jumper. All the players looked good. TJ's defense, Biggie's defense, X looked so smooth out there. I'm a little concerned about Jerelle. He might be the odd man out of the rotation. However, I've never seen so much athleticism, hustle, quickness, and teamwork for two hours on a Ryan Center floor. Let the games begin!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just got home from the Mews.
I was most impressed with Hassan Martin. He's far more advanced that
we've been lead to think. He plays within himself, shoots well, rebounds with aggression, and is tough in traffic.
He'll be the 3 he wants to be very soon.
Player who surprised me was Hare. He actually developed a shot! He can now face up, instead of
trying to muscle people posting up. Don't notice any weight gain.
Biggie is very aggressive, but has a so so shot.
Big O will contribute, but I see his value in half court type offense, where he can body-up on people.
This practice looked like a track meet, in pace.
Biruta is the real deal. Does everything well.
Powell played well, and will have lots of help this year.
Munford is Munford. To me, that's great.
Didn't get a feel for Butler or Reischel.
TJ hustling as always.
EC didn't blow me away. Seemed a bit uncomfortable.
Was told not to worry, because he's looked great in practices.
Lots of players who look like they can contribute and make everyone forget last season.
Sat with Don Kaull and his very nice wife. Saw a bunch of familiar faces, too.
Asked Dan if I could stow away in his luggage to Italy.
He said, "Fine but I only have an 80lb. limit!"
Guess I'll need to go on the Jordan Hare diet.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

A handout given to all said" For video highlights ,photo galleries, and online journals yhroughout Rhode Islands 10 day trip to italy,besure to follow the Rams on Twitter@RhodyMBB and on GoRhody.com.
additional video coverage, including highlights and interveiws, will be available on coxsportsonline following each game.
RI plays 3 games- youesday, Aug. 6; thur.,Aug. 8 aknd Saturday Aug. 10"

IT LOOKS LIKE A BANNER YEAR FOR RHODY
NOTE TO ROD It was announced that Hare had gone from 176 lbs to 199 lbs. Steve Macdonald guiped I haven"t weighed 199 since my first communion.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wait, Hare was 176 last year??????
THEY LIED! He was listed at 198!
Wow!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, they must be lying again, because he's now listed at 205.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dan was pretty clear in saying he (Hare) wasn't what he was listed.

Glad you all enjoyed the practice!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thanks for all the reports guys...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
That WAS quite a dunk!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Actual Practice For Italy trip

Unread post by ace »

There's work to be done, but this is a relatively young team and it's July. Good things ahead.

(Thank you for taking care of the extra c)
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Here is my breakdown:
EC--tremendous talent, good size, speed, great handle, can attack basket, great moves-good shot as well
Hare-looked more confident, a bit stronger, shot coming along
Butler- great handle, great shot, looks very comfortable out there
Martin--looks very solid--very strong for a freshman, great talent, dunks and rebounds well, agressive on glass
Biggie-great passer-takes the ball to the basket very well--good speed
Powell--looked very good out there today--always had a solid handle, shot looked much improved
Gil- he will be our best front cout player, great hands, plays strong, can hit a 10 footer, special talent
Big O--stong, dunks with both hands everytime(power) great rebounder--not sure if he can shoot
Rieshel-- his strength is his defense, not as fast as teamates, attacks basket well not sure on his shot
X--looks super, knocking down all of his shots--will be team leader with Gil
TJ--loves his hustle, team guy, stong, will play solid minutes both for defense and he just knows how to play
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:There's work to be done, but this is a relatively young team and it's July. Good things ahead.

(Thank you for taking care of the extra c)

My pleasure, Ace.

We had our walk-through of our new house tonight, otherwise I would have taken a half day and headed down for the practice. Really appreciate seeing everyone's take. Anyone else that was there, please throw your 2 cents in.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Thanks for the report from back East. It made my night to come home and read all the first-hand accounts you guys posted. :D
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Reports from Pre-Italy Open Practice

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Agree, thanks for the report guys.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I saw two stars (X and Gil) and 8 guys that Hurley can use interchangeably.
While I think we should be careful in judging players based on one practice in July, here's my thoughts:

I thought Powell was the third best player out there, and I've been a critic of his. (My apologies Mr. Powell).
EC is a future star. He's such a freak athletically. Passes well, needs to improve his handle a bit, rebounds great for a guard; shot is OK but will get better. And he was sucking more wind than anyone else.
Minnis is what we expected; strong in the lane, good defender, but his shot was awful.
Powell and Minnis were playing together, and I think we'll see some lineups with two so-called PGs thsi year.
I didn't notice the huge improvement everyone else is seeing in Hare, and I'm a fan. Thought Big O looked better.
If Hurley uses 10 players, I think Butler and Aaman might be the odd guys out. Butler is not ready to contribute as a freshman.
I'm undecided at this point on how good Reischel will be. Goes to the basket well, but his shot didn't look good.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Realizing it was one practice, but how can you have watched that practice and not mention Hassan Martin?
The kid is fearless, and is exactly what Hurley said he was.
You didn't notice that Hare actually has a shot, and not a fling? That he can now
actually square up to the basket? That's significant to his game.
Must've been at a different practice, I guess.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It was good to hear and not surprising that we had trouble offensively. Most opponents will as well. It sounds as though we will be able to control the defensive board this year and reduce second chance points. Posts on Reishel were surprising, both offensively (-) and defensively (+).
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Watching this practice was like watching a cirque de show in Los Vegas. So Much going on that you are sure to miss something. Hare is still the thinnest person I have ever seen. I can't wait till tomorrow and we head to Rome.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Have a nice trip, Essam!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Agreed, thx guys 4 being great fans and giving us all your insights.. Much appreciated !

Thx 4 your support of Rhody Hoops !
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

A few opinions that others have not stated yet...

EC
1. Looked to be taking it noticeably easier on defense, not sure if that was fatigue or not.
2. Offensive game looked almost effortless. The only flaw was some decision making errors.
Hare
1. Still needs better hands, but loved seeing him hit the floor for a loose ball.
2. If Hare could develop of semi-reliable baby hook he could be unstoppable in this league. His touch is horrible.
Hassan
1. Hassan's quickness recovering during the defensive rotations drills was unlike most that I have ever seen.
2. Not as much hustle running the length of the floor during drills than I would have liked to see.
Gil
1. Gil's shot is nothing like I would have imagined based on the rave reports I have read. More of a flick than a shot.
2. That being said, he has incredible footwork and feel under the basket. If his shot is just good enough to keep defenders honest he will be a dominant post player.
Powell
1. Watching and listening to him directing people where to go on the floor while running plays was great. The PG should know where every person should be and what their responsibility is for that play. Very impressed with his leadership.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I will go back to Rod's comment (and mine) For a freshman, Hassan showed some outstanding toughness, rebounding, and a fairly good short jumper. I know I might be reaching, but Hassan reminds me a little of the first time I saw ARD. I know Rod and I might argue about whether he could play the three or the four, but I haven't seen a true four on the court for awhile. He is going to surprise some people.

Also, I thought Butler had a pretty good practice. For a person, who is supposedly just an outside shooter, I saw some tenacity on defense and hustle.

Do we have depth, or what?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ah depth!
Martin is, according to Dan, an NBA upside player, who needs to
do some things to play the 3, which is the ultimate plan by staff and player.
Martin knows unless he grows a few inches,(he's only 17 years old) that his NBA
potential lies at SF.
I see Biruta as a 4, and Oneykaba a 5. Hare will be backup 4-5.
If they want to go small, maybe Hassan will see time as power forward, but
that's more situational than permanent.
I also think he'll far surpass ARD as a collegiate player.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Right now Hassan looks like Lamonte Ulmer (upperclassman version), but with a basketball IQ. Monte was all physical ability.
0 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

Agree on Hassan - was very very impressed with him. EC looked like a talent for sure but will make a lot of freshman mistakes and he needs to work on his fitness. For me Hare still looked soft and just doesn't look like he has that competitive fire and determination in him, I know it's just practice so hopefully they'll continue to toughen him up. X was a beast, no one could defend him. Loved Gil, can't wait to see him play and it's clear why he's a favorite of Hurley's as well.

First time I've ever seen a practice, that was a really cool experience.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There is a reason a lot of the guys were tired. That was one intense practice session. And they have been doing 2-a-days. I'm guessing the three frosh have not been involved in a practice like that until they got here just a few weeks ago.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I was fortunate enough to be (freezing!) at the open practice Wednesday night! :shock: If I repeat information, contradict others' observations and/or opinions, I apologize in advance….
:D Very happy to watch a staff that was organized and involved!!!! Nary a second of wasted time, attempting to make full use of the allotted/limited practice opportunities for the trip, and beyond. Subtle teaching moments by Coach Hurley would be appreciated by any classroom practitioner! 8-)
:D Nice to see the initial drills (offense and defense) incorporated into game-situations involving international shot-clock, etc.,
:) Very nice to see the improvement/confidence in Mike Powell's understanding of his position and responsibilities.
;) Jordan Hare showed some heart in his approach to becoming a player, and is beginning to understand what it means to be a "Dan Hurley Player." His stamina seemed much improved and that will mean more opportunities to play, which means he could be a Top-Five Shot-Blocker in the Country, especially with strong-side help this season.
8-) Hassan Martin will be in the NBA after his Junior year at the earliest. He is young, talented, and bright, everything as advertised, but an absolute neophyte. He will benefit tremendously from Dan Hurley's tutelage, and he seems to be the type who understands how it's going to work-out for him. He going to have to work harder than the next guy. That justs seems to be his m.o.
:o E.C. Matthews impressed me in so many ways: court-sense, spacing, quickness, feathery-touch, etc., Man-to-man defense needs work, yet his understanding of weak-side help was impressive. His desire to succeed is impressive, yet it may become his undoing: A young man in a hurry. Coach Hurley's greatest task is going to be to teach E.C. Matthews about patience -- on and off the court.
;) Matt Butler has a nice shot when he creates the opportunity to find open space. When HE wasn't gassed, he did work very hard. He needs to improve his ball-handling, etc.,
8-) Biggie Minnis is going to be one of those "heart-and-soul" guys people around here will never forget! No wonder Coach Hurley wanted him pronto!
:D The Big O: Will be a solid contributor when called upon -- really can't wait to see him unleashed against the opposition!!!!
8-) X, G-B, TJB, JR, MA: Well, I think if X puts it ALL together, he could vie for A-10 Player of the Year….; GB has pro-footwork, a beautiful McHale-like up-and-under move, and absolutely great hands; TJB is going to continue where he left-off last year as someone who Coach Hurley trusted more and more toward the end of the season……JR has work to do on getting lift on his jumper; most everything else seemed solid fundamentally…..MA is going to benefit tremendously from frontline depth and he will create even more havoc; he really has an opportunity to do some great things; will he seize it, though???
My other observations:
The floor does look terribly discolored.
Why do people go to an open practice and have their cell-phones on "FULL-BLAST RING"???????
The crowd seemed mostly "Old School" and their/our kids, grandkids….
Where was the NEW $$$$$$$$$$??????????
Anyway, it was nice to be invited, thrilled I went, and can't wait to be able to do it again!!!!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The floor will be replaced this month.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The majority of students obviously wouldn't have been there since they are out of state/most in staters live up north. I was there though and I must say I am so excited. I agree with just about everything said so far except about EC. I thought he was great, sure he made mistakes but man I could just tell how good is he/can be from a few moves, making shots on the drills and has quick hands on D (picked Powells pocket). Very good size for a PG/SG as well. Biruta is a given in terms of a great forward but I was very impressed by big O's power. Haven't seen strength like that since Jason Francis. POWER is what we have been missing for years. Also as I already said earlier, Jordan looked improved and I still love his ability to extend his body for a dunk or shot along with athleticism.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep, I made it a point to mention to my buddies that Wednesday night was the last time we'd ever see that old floor. Good riddance.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kind of fun to think that this team has had only 10 practices together and still has about 5 months to go before conference games, and there's already this much to talk about.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome reports !!!
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Not to be a downer, but everyone can look good in July practice. I'm interested in seeing how these guys play against European pros. We talkin' bout PRACTICE!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Keaney.Blue wrote:Not to be a downer, but everyone can look good in July practice. I'm interested in seeing how these guys play against European pros. We talkin' bout PRACTICE!
It really depends on the level of teams they're playing in Italy. The talent level is kind of all over the place.

And my point about July practice is somewhat different than yours... this team has been together for 10 practices, that's it. There's work to do but so much time ahead of them.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Realizing it was one practice, but how can you have watched that practice and not mention Hassan Martin?
The kid is fearless, and is exactly what Hurley said he was.
You didn't notice that Hare actually has a shot, and not a fling? That he can now
actually square up to the basket? That's significant to his game.
Must've been at a different practice, I guess.
So I forgot to mention Martin, your favorite player, and don't agree 100 percent with some of the comments on Hare, who just a few months ago you hated, and I was at a different practice. Typical snarky comment.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My goal for this season is to get Iggy and Rod together for a beer. I'll buy.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Let's make this happen! Rhody Beer Summit 13-14 !!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

First off, X Munford is my favorite player.
Secondly, I said Hare developed a shot, which could change his game.
I didn't say he was a world beater, and said I saw him as a backup 4-5.
Like you don't make snotty comments here.
TP, I don't drink beer.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am friends with both Iggy and Rod........I offer my services of shuttle diplomacy to forge a lasting peace....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ramulous is really Kissinger??????
P.S. Just don't forget to bring along the belly dancer!!!!! 8-) :lol: :shock:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm not running for office, and don't care who does or doesn't like me,
or what I have to say.
Although, there are plenty of people in the Rhody community, who
like me despite this.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

hassan is my favorite player iggy, check the avatar!!

combines the athletic ability of delroy and lamonte, and give him basketball IQ and fundamental mastery and you have an nba player. pretty confident our coach can get him there. this year he's still a FR and will make a ton of mistakes and even look lost at times, but as they say he passes the eye test with flying colors.
0 x