Helmet possibility in future

All things Rhody Rams football.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Helmet possibility in future

Unread post by OBRAM »

I think we could do a electric blue helmet variation at some time like the Lions
Attachments
370742B6-C350-4AAB-9480-01A79F766B21.jpeg
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Helmet possibility in future

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Always wondered if a secondary helmet would be possible. The current one is timeless, but another would be awesome. One with some pop.
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Sure. There's plenty of extra money floating around the football program to throw at something so frivolous as an "alternate" helmet.

So the conversation goes something like this, I'd imagine?:

STAFFER #1 - "Item number-1 on the agenda...you know, football has been nagging us for improvements to the weight room, training table, and academic center. Let's try to get some extra money for those projects."
STAFFER #2 - "That stuff is not important. What will really make a difference is these cool, shiny helmets I got here! Forget long-term needs...a new helmet every once in a while is what will benefit the program long-term!"
STAFFER #1 - "You know, you're right. Never mind. OK, item number-2 on the agenda. I have this job application from some Marine who was on the Michigan staff who says he has a secret way to help us decipher the other teams' sideline signals. He said something about videoing future opponents from the stands. Umm...I'm not sure about this. Doesn't sound legal."
STAFFER #2 - "Nahh, doesn't matter. Nobody will ever find out. Let's hire him!!"
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Entry level helmets cost approximately $350 at the high school level. I would imagine what Rhody uses would cost more. That would really start adding up when you consider up to 100 guys, on top of regular safety and inspection that needs to be done, storage etc.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A flashy new shiny helmet should be about 700th on the list of things to do in our athletic department.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

While I agree alternate helmets are probably not first on the priority list some of you underestimate the role these things play in marketing the program.

Ya know who would love alternate helmets -- potential recruits, the actual players and fans. Now I know those are important stakeholders here (lol) but still. Oregon has literally built a brand off their merch and uniform innovations. We will never be that given their tie to Nike and P5 status but there have been a lot worse ideas thrown around here than the idea of doing an alternate helmet.

Almost all of the social media noise the team makes is around their various uniform color ways. This is marketing especially to young people in the digital age. They care about this stuff.

And we should definitely hire the Michigan sign stealer if he's available !!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Take the current helmets...line 'em up.... and spray-paint those babies whatever color you want. Heck, paint 'em a different color every week!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago While I agree alternate helmets are probably not first on the priority list some of you underestimate the role these things play in marketing the program.

Ya know who would love alternate helmets -- potential recruits, the actual players and fans. Now I know those are important stakeholders here (lol) but still. Oregon has literally built a brand off their merch and uniform innovations. We will never be that given their tie to Nike and P5 status but there have been a lot worse ideas thrown around here than the idea of doing an alternate helmet.

Almost all of the social media noise the team makes is around their various uniform color ways. This is marketing especially to young people in the digital age. They care about this stuff.

Oh I certainly don't disagree. I think they have done a great job with marketing the program on social media, and it is definitely something that not only the current players, but also potential recruits enjoy.

The money spent on alternate helmets would probably serve better for the program being diverted elsewhere.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

How much do facemasks and decals cost? How easy is it to change helmet decals? If you put a gold outline around our horn on the helmet you instantly have a 1976-92 era throwback helmet. Make the facemask gold and that narrows it down to 79-89.

Seems like you could have alternate helmets without having a second helmet
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

CF0A1068-AA72-4BAC-8493-E79A5107ED38.jpeg
Here's a prototype, get rid of the RI and grow horns.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would make it just like the Los Angeles Rams:

With that line giving the horns more definition. And also the way they are spaced on the helmet. URI has them too close together.

Just make them like the Rams. You could do that darker metallic blue like the lions as the base color (or the color LA is using here as their base color) and the Rhody blue for the horns.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago While I agree alternate helmets are probably not first on the priority list some of you underestimate the role these things play in marketing the program.

You know what's great for marketing and what recruits are attracted to? A winning program.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Wow, really? Wasn’t aware.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 5 months ago

You know what's great for marketing and what recruits are attracted to? A winning program.
That's a pretty bold statement to make. But what statistics do you have to back this up? It's easy to say a Winning Program but how many wins? Is it a linear relationship of wins to what recruits are attracted to? Is the linear relationship the same for what marketing thinks is great?
And how many wins do you need for marketing to think things are great and for recruits to be attracted? 20 wins? 24 wins?????

And over what period of time? Is that also a linear relationship of number of years with X numbers of wins

And do quality of wins matter? Quad 1, Quad 2, Quad 3, Quad 4? And wins on road vs wins at home?

And how does NIL play in now? Plus ability to legally compensate recruits with cars? Pay for play varies by school. How does Pay for Play impact recruiting in conjunction with a winning program?

Remember when you told me that David Cox did not damage the URI basketball program when I said he did? I admit I had not put together a complete study at the time I said it. Still sticking to that belief? And if so and documentation available hit me to peruse? I'm still thinking the David Cox decision did a bit of damage here as we enter our 6th post Dan Hurley season

It sounds to me if recruits and marketing love a winning program then David Cox's declining performance from year 1 to end of year 4 would have negatively impacted marketing and recruiting but that's just theoretical thinking on my part I admit.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

That's a pretty bold statement to make. But what statistics do you have to back this up? It's easy to say a Winning Program but how many wins? Is it a linear relationship of wins to what recruits are attracted to? Is the linear relationship the same for what marketing thinks is great?
And how many wins do you need for marketing to think things are great and for recruits to be attracted? 20 wins? 24 wins?????

And over what period of time? Is that also a linear relationship of number of years with X numbers of wins

And do quality of wins matter? Quad 1, Quad 2, Quad 3, Quad 4? And wins on road vs wins at home?

And how does NIL play in now? Plus ability to legally compensate recruits with cars? Pay for play varies by school. How does Pay for Play impact recruiting in conjunction with a winning program?

Remember when you told me that David Cox did not damage the URI basketball program when I said he did? I admit I had not put together a complete study at the time I said it. Still sticking to that belief? And if so and documentation available hit me to peruse? I'm still thinking the David Cox decision did a bit of damage here as we enter our 6th post Dan Hurley season

It sounds to me if recruits and marketing love a winning program then David Cox's declining performance from year 1 to end of year 4 would have negatively impacted marketing and recruiting but that's just theoretical thinking on my part I admit.
So.... you're not a fan of changing helmets?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago

So.... you're not a fan of changing helmets?
I could care less about the helmets. I could care less about uniforms

Just curious about PMMM's proof of concept :lol:
0 x