Homecoming Hoopfest - MBB Scrimmage

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: Homecoming Hoopfest - MBB Scrimmage

Unread post by jcru »

Not to mention, that hype was rewarded... with an Elite 8 appearance. When was the last time this team went to three straight NCAA tournaments? Precisely then.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago If this type of event was held at Duke on a Friday night, would students be there? I'm facetiously asking this question because of the excuse given that students were not there because Friday night is for partying and hanging out. Do Duke University students party and hang out?.....NO, I'M NOT COMPARING US TO DUKE! JUST POINTING OUT THAT THE EXCUSE BEING FRIDAY NIGHT IS LAME.
If this type of event was held at Duke from 5-8 would the regular fan base show up? I'm facetiously asking this question because of the excuse given that fans were not there because you can't go after work. Do Duke fans work?... NO, I'M NOT COMPARING US TO DUKE! JUST POINTING OUT THAT THE EXCUSE BEING PEOPLE WORKED THAT DAY IS LAME.
I agree that the 5 o'clock time was not a good idea to get the working fans to attend. I'm just talking about students and that the reason they didn't come was because it was a Friday night and they'd rather party and hang out. As others have said, win and they'll show up. It doesn't matter what night it is. I get it. Since we have sucked for 4 years now, current students have never seen the excitement of watching and supporting a winning team. Times have changed. I guess I have to accept it. If there was an open practice when I was in school, at least the lower bowl in Keaney would be packed, no matter how good or bad we were. Then again, we didn't have phones to stare at all day and text our friends. I'm glad I grew up in the 60s and 70s.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Um, it was 5-8, there was nothing wrong with the time. Even if you couldn't be there for the beginning you could have been here for most of it. It is completely wrongheaded to shit on students and not shit on the fan base at large
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

jcru wrote: 6 months ago ok, let's play that out.

how much winning are we talking about? Is one winning season enough? Is a 500 record good? How about a 20 win season like Baron used to have?

How about an A-10 season championship, but no NCAA bid because it's not the A-10 Tourney championship? How about a NCAA appearance?

What is the threshold of "winning" that it takes to bring the kind of fans you are talking about?
Making the NCAA tournament. Like with Hurley. That's really it.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago Um, it was 5-8, there was nothing wrong with the time. Even if you couldn't be there for the beginning you could have been here for most of it. It is completely wrongheaded to shit on students and not shit on the fan base at large
I'm not shitting on them. I actually just said that I get why they didn't come.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sorry. I get very defensive about criticism when it comes to students because I remember being on the ProJo board listening to students getting criticized back then
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RI_Bred wrote: 6 months ago

how much winning are we talking about? Is one winning season enough? Is a 500 record good? How about a 20 win season like Baron used to have?

How about an A-10 season championship, but no NCAA bid because it's not the A-10 Tourney championship? How about a NCAA appearance?

What is the threshold of "winning" that it takes to bring the kind of fans you are talking about?
Making the NCAA tournament. Like with Hurley. That's really it.
Agree. The tournament is the only thing that matters. If they are building towards that this year and keep the personal than fine, but look at what Fordham did last year. One of their best records in a long time and didn’t even make the NIT. A complete waste
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Since being bad for 3+ seasons means any students who know what success looks like are gone and you are starting from scratch with regards to building a student fan base. For them it’s “show me”, prove you are good before you will get my attention.
4 x
ChicagoRam
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ChicagoRam »

Midnight Madness was a completely different event than what is done now and was successful for very different reasons. With all of the natural caveats that students are different these days than they were 20 years ago, Midnight Madness was massive because it was an annual tradition that people were aware of and looked forward to even if the team was not good. It was held in Keaney when I was on campus, so less seats, but it sold out more because of excitement around Midnight Madness and less because people thought the team would be good or that it had been good the prior year.

That being said the adults involved in the event were dying to find a way to change it or make it go away because it sucked for them to have to do and because it was a risk management nightmare. Students would pre-game like crazy and the crazy atmosphere was more about the energy coming in than the expectations for the team that year.

The event that is run now is far more dependent on excitement around the team, but is also a "tweener" type of event as many have said. It's not a good time for a family focused event, it is not something students can get geared up for as a unique annual opportunity, and it isn't even a good enough basketball event to get fans in the seats who are interested in the team.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ChicagoRam wrote: 6 months ago Midnight Madness was a completely different event than what is done now and was successful for very different reasons. With all of the natural caveats that students are different these days than they were 20 years ago, Midnight Madness was massive because it was an annual tradition that people were aware of and looked forward to even if the team was not good. It was held in Keaney when I was on campus, so less seats, but it sold out more because of excitement around Midnight Madness and less because people thought the team would be good or that it had been good the prior year.

That being said the adults involved in the event were dying to find a way to change it or make it go away because it sucked for them to have to do and because it was a risk management nightmare. Students would pre-game like crazy and the crazy atmosphere was more about the energy coming in than the expectations for the team that year.

The event that is run now is far more dependent on excitement around the team, but is also a "tweener" type of event as many have said. It's not a good time for a family focused event, it is not something students can get geared up for as a unique annual opportunity, and it isn't even a good enough basketball event to get fans in the seats who are interested in the team.
To this point, it was actually run by Student Alumni Association back then who worked with athletics and various groups on campus to put everything together. SAA has nothing to do with this event now. It was marketed completely to the student body with outsiders welcome
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Plus we had bonfires. Who doesn't love a bonfire?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not too much new in here I guess, but I'll take whatever I can get right now...

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Connors form on that jumper , wow !
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Nice highlights. Would love to see a full replay.
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Talking about this much winning:

(Winning) so much, you may even get tired of winning. And you'll say, 'Please, please. It's too much winning. We can't take it anymore. It's too much.'
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ed Cooley hits the ground running

Scrimmage tonight

Students ONLY. Free T-Shirts to 1st 1000 students

Making a fun event to get students involved and interested.

Students get to see the players, get excited for future games.
IMG_0463.png
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Ed Cooley hits the ground running

Scrimmage tonight

Students ONLY. Free T-Shirts to 1st 1000 students

Making a fun event to get students involved and interested.

Students get to see the players, get excited for future games.

IMG_0463.png
Students? At a scrimmage? What?
0 x