Maine Mass Shooting

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Maine Mass Shooting

Unread post by Maine66 »

A real sad day up here in Maine. Most of the area on lock down. I grew up in Auburn across the river and it's a very tight knit area. I'm sure at the end of the day that I will have connections to some of the victims. Many schools in Maine including our town are closed. Maine is a close knit state and everyone is in total shock. My daughter's town is in shelter in place. You just don't expect things like this to happen in places like this.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Maine Mass Shooting

Unread post by ramster »

Shocking maine66.
I've been to both Auburn and Lewiston. Visited the site of the infamous Clay - Liston fight in Lewiston
Article from NYTimes in 2015 describes the history of the fight.
Sorry to hear about this tragic event. Be safe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/spor ... iston.html
Last edited by ramster 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Unfortunately it can happen anywhere where guns and mental illness mix. I love Maine (and my sister went to Bates) so my thoughts are with you. Hope they catch the guy before he hurts anyone else.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Maine66 wrote: 6 months ago A real sad day up here in Maine. Most of the area on lock down. I grew up in Auburn across the river and it's a very tight knit area. I'm sure at the end of the day that I will have connections to some of the victims. Many schools in Maine including our town are closed. Maine is a close knit state and everyone is in total shock. My daughter's town is in shelter in place. You just don't expect things like this to happen in places like this.
I hope everyone you know made it through this ok.

As Rhody74 alluded to, I think the "I didn't expect it to happen in a place like this" mindset is no longer applicable anywhere you are. My cousin didn't expect it to happen at a place like Parkland, FL and it happened while she was in that school. At this pace we have to wonder when everyone will have been touched by one of these terrible acts in someway
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

Ramster:

Thanks for a bit of levity about the Liston-clay fight. I was a junior at URI the bight of the fight. Liston trained at the Poland Spring hotel, I lalked to the owners daughter a while back and she told me about Sonny visiting her son's elementary school class. Also told me about the limo ride to the fight with Robert Goulet who got drunk and forgot the words to the national anthem. Clay stayed at the local Holiday Inn and did training runs with the high school track team. My mother's high school teaching collegue was counting for thr knockdows at the bell and forgot the count. Cheapest tickets were $20.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Grew up about 30 miles south of where this happened. My brother manages call teams, previously based in Lewiston. Those folks were all moved to work at home a few years ago, most still living in the area. One of his employees told him it was a bit unsettling to work with search lights and choppers flying over head...I can't even imagine...

(My dad went to the Ali-Liston fight)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maine66 and NYG,
I was in that arena several years ago and read the historical news articles on the walls about the fight.
What did people you know think about the fight? It was controversial and called a phantom punch by some and I read some attendees were chanting "fix".
Amazing that a fight of that magnitude was held in Lewiston Maine. I read 2500 attended. Auburn and Lewiston are Beautiful with the old Mill Buildings and the River. Maine is a treasure.
0 x
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

Ramster:

Apparently a lot of Bates College students found their way into the fight and were the ones yelling fix. You are correct about the attendence. The place was set up for about 4500. Howard Cosell who was ringside was pretty convinced that the punch was real and thar Liston was leaning the wrong way. The fight was originally scheduled for the old Boston Garden but the State of Massachutts refused to grant permission because of suspected Mob ties and Sam Bennett a local promoter offered the Central Maine Youth Center. I actually played hockey there in high school as a totally inept back up goal tender. Probably explains why I did track and X country at URI. There have been a couple of books written about the fight.

On a sadder note, as this is written the killer is still at large and several schools and businesses are shut down. I found out last night that the son of two of my high school classmates may be one of the victims. Still trying to confirm. Still extensive "fog of war" up here.
0 x