$42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

All things Rhody Rams football.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: $42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not a big fan of the rendering in the Cigar article. It is one of two that had once been floated. The other option with a second deck was far more to my liking. Furthermore, anything below a minimum 10k capacity seems short sighted

Last edited by RF1 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I like the front of the new stands will be much better looking than just steel superstructure. The current east stands are what 3000-3500? This rendering looks like it extends from end zone to end zone and is overall much bigger, I could see it having a capacity of 6K. With a total capacity of 8K. Smaller than what I was hoping for but they could look at adding end zone seating to add capacity in the future.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago I am not a big fan of the rendering in the Cigar article. It is one of two that had once been floated. The other option with a second deck was far more to my liking. Furthermore, anything below a minimum 10k capacity seems short sighted.
I'm hoping they just took images from the five year old plans already shown. I'll be interested to see what the actual plans look like
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

No matter how many millions are spent, it will always feel high school-esque without seating around the overwhelming majority of the field.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Funny. When we were at the Hoopfest last week, looking over the football field, my wife asked why they don't have stands all around the field. I said don't get me started. LOL.
2 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Need a new Stadium with football offices, Hydro training pools, restaurant. Move the dumpy physical plant eye sore, build a new Stadium, do a fund raising like we do for Ryan Center almost 25 years ago.

Also, why put money into a field that is almost the lowest point on campus and prone to flooding?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So under your idea we need to move the physical plant first, then build the stadium there? So where do you put the physical plant? And does the East side of Meade have the 10 plus years left that we'd need under your plan?

Why do we need a restaurant? Most people are tailgating before plus we already have concessions?

Prone to flooding? It flooded once that I remember. I'd hardly call that prone to flooding
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Since we are talking out of the box, can we make the drinking age 18 again and put a pub back on campus?
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

it's too bad the turf and lights were done ahead of this reno
0 x
:lol:
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

In one of the URI videos, it was stated the renovations would increase the capacity of Meade. Now maybe 8k total capacity? This renovation on a national level is an embarrassment to the Rhody football program. The new east side stands could be 10k alone, but I wonder what their logic is going with a smaller capacity?. I can already hear residents screaming about parking if the capacity was 10k or more
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Bartoburger wrote: 6 months ago In one of the URI videos, it was stated the renovations would increase the capacity of Meade. Now maybe 8k total capacity? This renovation on a national level is an embarrassment to the Rhody football program. The new east side stands could be 10k alone, but I wonder what their logic is going with a smaller capacity?. I can already hear residents screaming about parking if the capacity was 10k or more
honest question, would 10K fans show up for football games in Kingston?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago
Bartoburger wrote: 6 months ago In one of the URI videos, it was stated the renovations would increase the capacity of Meade. Now maybe 8k total capacity? This renovation on a national level is an embarrassment to the Rhody football program. The new east side stands could be 10k alone, but I wonder what their logic is going with a smaller capacity?. I can already hear residents screaming about parking if the capacity was 10k or more
If they're winning consistently, sure. They did that in the 80s. At least from a quick glance at Wikipedia, the current capacity of Meade is 6,555. They got 5,600 for Bryant and 5,300 for Richmond. For the 2021 and 2022 seasons, and this year, they've been more "better than average" vs. a team you have confidence in to be good, though. You need the latter to really juice ticket sales.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

They were turning people away at the gate last weekend since it was sold out. Whenever a new stadium is built, the attendance jumps. 10k sounds like a lot now, but it’s always best to have to much vs not enough.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago
If they're winning consistently, sure. They did that in the 80s. At least from a quick glance at Wikipedia, the current capacity of Meade is 6,555. They got 5,600 for Bryant and 5,300 for Richmond. For the 2021 and 2022 seasons, and this year, they've been more "better than average" vs. a team you have confidence in to be good, though. You need the latter to really juice ticket sales.
Can't really compare the 1980s to current day sporting events, especially the difference in college students.

It's apples to oranges.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The 6555, is as of a few years ago. First you had the top of sections tarped off, then they took out rows for aisle ways. That number has never been updated on wikipedia though
1 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

When URI football were winning back in the mid to late 80s they were getting 10-14k for some home games. No reason URI cant get 10-14k for home games again if they continue to have winning records.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago

Can't really compare the 1980s to current day sporting events, especially the difference in college students.

It's apples to oranges.
This is true, but at the same time I would argue football is far more popular in New England today than it was in the 80's, the Washington County population has increased by about 28,000 since then, and we certainly must have a higher enrollment, though I wasn't able to find figures from the 80's in a fairly quick search. Those three factors should increase your potential fan base even if that hasn't been realized yet
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The other thing I would point out is that our current closest rivals, Maine and New Hampshire, have both significantly renovated their stadiums since we last did in 1978 and both found 10,000+ seats to be their preferred capacity even though they have smaller enrollment/alumni bases.

Both Maine and New Hampshire reside in more populous counties than URI does, but that's due to their overall size. Washington County has a higher population density than the other two counties and Washington County residents are more prosperous than their counterparts.

The enrollment/alumni base, population density around the universities, and prosperity around the universities would indicate that we should have a larger potential fan base to pull from and therefore at the very least we should be looking at building a comparable stadium by capacity
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bartoburger wrote: 6 months ago When URI football were winning back in the mid to late 80s they were getting 10-14k for some home games. No reason URI cant get 10-14k for home games again if they continue to have winning records.
Times have changed, I couldn't seem them getting more than double what they get now.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If Rhody can breakthrough to the playoffs it can help the attendance. People love a winner.

If meade stadium is improved upon it becomes a more desirable venue. That helps too.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's apples to oranges.
There is no question that in-person attendance can be softer now vs. pretty much any previous decade. That being said, people still turn out for consistent winners. Others cited New Hampshire, and it looks like they've attracted 8,000+ in their home games this year, and 13,500 for what I assume was their homecoming. I think the capacity should at least be bigger than the Ryan Center.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bartoburger wrote: 6 months ago When URI football were winning back in the mid to late 80s they were getting 10-14k for some home games. No reason URI cant get 10-14k for home games again if they continue to have winning records.
Times have changed, I couldn't seem them getting more than double what they get now.
Attendance has tripled since we started winning and made improvements since I was there a decade ago. It can continue to climb in my opinion.
0 x
GO RAMS
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Yes I think URI can average close to UNH as they are similar schools regarding enrollment and population. If URI continues have winning records I think averaging 8k is not a high number.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago Since we are talking out of the box, can we make the drinking age 18 again and put a pub back on campus?
Those were the days!
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

We need to build something better than UAlbany
We don't get many chances to have have a real positive impact. Transformational.
East Stands are almost 50 years old.
https://ualbanysports.com/facilities/b ... -stadium/1
Make something that people and potential athletes can be excited about.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Actually, it would appear to be completely identical to UAlbany, so you should be happy and excited about it.

edit: sorry, OB, I thought you said build something like UAlbany, not better than UAlbany. My apologies.
Last edited by jcru 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, I don't know if it has been decided if it will be a one tier or two tier section of stands yet, but it's pretty much going to look *EXACTLY* like this, with the scoreboard in the south endzone instead of the north endzone and better scenery around it, with the Ryan Center in back of the West stands instead of an open field...

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think it is kind of clever, how, even though they don't have a horseshoe stadium for seating, they have the South endzone shaped like a hill or grassy knoll so that people can sit on the grass and watch the game. I guess using that area for expansion into a true horseshoe with a closed endzone was built into the plans. They almost just need to pave the existing area...

1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

We need it to be better.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

In addition to Albany's Ford Field which opened in 2013, the school is presently doing a big upgrade on their basketball arena (in the large building behind the football stadium in above aerial photo). They are doing a $12M renovation of their existing arena that will rotate the position of the court (similar to LaSalle), add more chairbacks and other amenities. Will open this season.

https://ualbanysports.com/news/2023/8/1 ... enter.aspx
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

i really like that grass horseshoe
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago i really like that grass horseshoe
I do as well. End zone grass berms are an easy and relatively cheap way to increase capacity. Only used for big games on an as needed basis. Doesn't look bad if not being used as opposed to empty fixed seats. Grass berms are also great options for families with toddlers and younger children as it gives them ample room to move around.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

jcru wrote: 6 months ago I think it is kind of clever, how, even though they don't have a horseshoe stadium for seating, they have the South endzone shaped like a hill or grassy knoll so that people can sit on the grass and watch the game. I guess using that area for expansion into a true horseshoe with a closed endzone was built into the plans. They almost just need to pave the existing area...

The coolest part of that design is the grassy end zone area...it's their GA section for students and you could imagine if that were filled it would be an awesome visual and create a faux bowl look. I'm with 15 that without a bowl look everything just looks like a high school field.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Grassy berm is great. Kids (of all ages) would love it. Like the Little League World Series berm.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

D115CA5C-7F9A-48A9-B196-17B8A8331146.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_J._Dykhouse_Stadium
South Dakota State stadium appears to have more luxury boxes.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I am a fan of the berm. It was great at McCoy.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

West Texas A&M Division II Re: $42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

Unread post by OBRAM »

West Texas Football Bain-Schaeffer Buffalo Stadium. Division II Lone Star Conference
Has an event room, open year-round for special events.

The Bain-Schaeffer Buffalo Stadium seats 8,500 along the west and east sides with an estimated total capacity of 12,000 when including overflow berm seating and standing-room-only space at the concourse level.

The Stadium includes the installation of 132 water closets, 47 urinals, 88 lavatories, kitchen service equipment, and fixtures, 140 TONS of air conditioning systems, and over 39,000 feet of piping.
https://youtu.be/-BBs9YDAWHk
WTAM1.jpg
WTAM2.jpg
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: West Texas A&M Division II Re: $42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

Unread post by Rhody15 »

OBRAM wrote: 6 months ago West Texas Football Bain-Schaeffer Buffalo Stadium. Division II Lone Star Conference

The Bain-Schaeffer Buffalo Stadium seats 8,500 along the west and east sides with an estimated total capacity of 12,000 when including overflow berm seating and standing-room-only space at the concourse level.

The Stadium includes the installation of 132 water closets, 47 urinals, 88 lavatories, kitchen service equipment, and fixtures, 140 TONS of air conditioning systems, and over 39,000 feet of piping.
WTAM1.jpgWTAM2.jpg
Can’t compare our potential stadium to anything in Texas, regardless if it’s FBS, D2 or high school.

Texas football is on a whole different level.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: West Texas A&M Division II Re: $42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OBRAM wrote: 6 months ago West Texas Football Bain-Schaeffer Buffalo Stadium. Division II Lone Star Conference

WTAM1.jpgWTAM2.jpg
Can’t compare our potential stadium to anything in Texas, regardless if it’s FBS, D2 or high school.

Texas football is on a whole different level.
Right, besides that, it must cost a chitload to air condition an entire football stadium, especially one without a roof, but I'm sure the fans and players in Texas appreciate it...I mean, with 140 tons of A/C for 8,500 people, that's about 32 pounds of A/C per person...should be enough.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0604.jpeg
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

It does not look like $42 million upgrade to me from this photo. Looks like just a replica of the current East Stands with a few more seats.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

OBRAM wrote: 5 months ago It does not look like $42 million upgrade to me from this photo. Looks like just a replica of the current East Stands with a few more seats.
I would imagine that figure includes the press box/offices? Also the scoreboard and everything that comes along with it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago
OBRAM wrote: 5 months ago It does not look like $42 million upgrade to me from this photo. Looks like just a replica of the current East Stands with a few more seats.
I would imagine that figure includes the press box/offices? Also the scoreboard and everything that comes along with it.
True. Scoreboard, press boxes, demo/removal of current stands......

Pictures I took at last UNH game as I wanted to get a shot of where the current stands are positioned.
End of row seats are at the 25 yard lines.
In the new design picture seats go down to the last of each end zone.

So currently 25 to 25 yard lines = 50 yards of seats
New version shows end zone to end zone = 120 yards of seats or more than double
IMG_0483.jpeg
IMG_0482.jpeg
IMG_0612.png
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

it's not.

Let's be real, this is the cost of doing business with and in RI. union this, bid that, permit this, backdoor handshake that.

it is what it is, unfortunately.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago
My understanding is the scoreboard is not part of the $42 million
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's important to note that what is out there is not the plans for the new stands but the 2018 rendering of what they could look like
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Correct
But showing the current stands stop at the 25 yard lines (50 total yards of stands)does show that simply elongating the current design enables doubling capacity if installing current design stands down to the Goal Lines (100 total yards of stands.

Hope we hear the details about the proposed design relatively soon.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

You need to build something that is in the upper tier of FCS
Stadiums, this is a once in 100 year opportunity.
URI just didn't try to renovate Keaney Gym, the Ryan Center was built.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Obviously besides being wider than the current stands they could also be higher which adds to the design in addition to increased capacity. Personally I like the two tier option, but maybe there are drawback?… cold in the shade of the upper tier? I agree 42 million in RI will not go as far as in other states, maybe it’s transport of materials that increases costs, but I would guess it’s the contractors more so? We also have no idea on the amenities included. Will there be a beer garden? Will locate restaurants be able to set up shop vs the crappy RC style food? Lots of unknowns. It might not be perfect but what we have now is completely embarrassing and watching the East stands being torn down will give me nothing but joy! Lastly I would not mind some sort of end zone seating. Maybe just room for 1k at each end zone.
1 x