2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by reef »

I wish Arch didn’t say one of the best freshmen in the country , one of the best frosh in the a10 would have been a better quote
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago Clearly, most coaches tend to hype up their players, but I can't disagree with what Archie mentioned last year. Weston possesses plenty of talent and the potential to become an all-conference player. Bray, despite some inconsistent moments, displayed all-conference guard-level play when fully focused. Together with Ant and Ish, they could have formed a fantastic backcourt if everything clicked.

Archie consistently emphasized in multiple interviews that, due to Fuchs' role, he has the opportunity to be one of the best freshmen in the A10. I haven't seen him claim that Fuchs is one of the best freshmen in the country, apart from that one comment. Nonetheless, there are high expectations for Fuchs, and it's not just Archie; the entire staff holds him in high regard

Jersey you seemed to have more hope and faith in the players Cox would bring in a few years ago compared to Archie. I understand tempering expectations but some of these guys have to be the real deal or this team is going nowhere…It’s more likely that a coach and staff like ours will start to have more hits than misses as we continue to have more time to recruit. Last year was destined to be our most challenging recruiting season. It wouldn't be surprising at all if Fuchs turns out to be a standout. Have confidence
Just because I question Fuchs as one of the top freshmen in the country, it doesn't mean I don't think he will be very good or an impact player for us.
As a matter of fact, I like many of the players Archie brought in, including some from last season.
Of course, it is still too early to see how many of these players will pan out.
Plus, I have plenty of faith in our staff and strongly supported Archie's hire.

Still, comparing us to some of the teams in the A10, I don't feel we will contend for the title in 23-24.
That isn't a knock on us, I just think it will take a little more time.

I am not alone, none of the polls, insiders, and publications have us in the top tier A10.
Quite the opposite, most have us at the bottom or close to it.
Not to say that in 24-25 it can be a whole different story.
Still, I feel we will surprise a lot of people and be competitive this season.

Regarding Cox, remember I was one of the very few who pumped the brakes on the Mitchells.
The whole situation surrounding them leaving Maryland always concerned me.
However, the twins still had A10 talent, even though they were head cases.
Cox has always been regarded as a solid recruiter, but unfortunately struggled as a head coach.
If it isn't a knock on us...who is it a knock on? (I think it's "us", but am willing to consider any and all other possible culprits :lol: )
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago Clearly, most coaches tend to hype up their players, but I can't disagree with what Archie mentioned last year. Weston possesses plenty of talent and the potential to become an all-conference player. Bray, despite some inconsistent moments, displayed all-conference guard-level play when fully focused. Together with Ant and Ish, they could have formed a fantastic backcourt if everything clicked.

Archie consistently emphasized in multiple interviews that, due to Fuchs' role, he has the opportunity to be one of the best freshmen in the A10. I haven't seen him claim that Fuchs is one of the best freshmen in the country, apart from that one comment. Nonetheless, there are high expectations for Fuchs, and it's not just Archie; the entire staff holds him in high regard

Jersey you seemed to have more hope and faith in the players Cox would bring in a few years ago compared to Archie. I understand tempering expectations but some of these guys have to be the real deal or this team is going nowhere…It’s more likely that a coach and staff like ours will start to have more hits than misses as we continue to have more time to recruit. Last year was destined to be our most challenging recruiting season. It wouldn't be surprising at all if Fuchs turns out to be a standout. Have confidence
Just because I question Fuchs as one of the top freshmen in the country, it doesn't mean I don't think he will be very good or an impact player for us.
As a matter of fact, I like many of the players Archie brought in, including some from last season.
Of course, it is still too early to see how many of these players will pan out.
Plus, I have plenty of faith in our staff and strongly supported Archie's hire.

Still, comparing us to some of the teams in the A10, I don't feel we will contend for the title in 23-24.
That isn't a knock on us, I just think it will take a little more time.

I am not alone, none of the polls, insiders, and publications have us in the top tier A10.
Quite the opposite, most have us at the bottom or close to it.
Not to say that in 24-25 it can be a whole different story.
Still, I feel we will surprise a lot of people and be competitive this season.

Regarding Cox, remember I was one of the very few who pumped the brakes on the Mitchells.
The whole situation surrounding them leaving Maryland always concerned me.
However, the twins still had A10 talent, even though they were head cases.
Cox has always been regarded as a solid recruiter, but unfortunately struggled as a head coach.
If it isn't a knock on us...who is it a knock on? (I think it's "us", but am willing to consider any and all other possible culprits :lol: )
Let me explain and make myself clear.
Just because I feel this team won't compete for a title in 23-24, doesn't mean that I knock this staff for the way they put this roster together or that these players and this team won't be conference contenders in the near future.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 6 months ago I wish Arch didn’t say one of the best freshmen in the country , one of the best frosh in the a10 would have been a better quote
What is the harm of Miller being honest and saying exactly what he thinks?
I think I prefer he say what he and his staff think about a player and what they see his potential to be.
Austin Carroll was the lead on David Fuchs.
A good question for Austin Friday night would be to ask how he found Fuchs and does he agree on Archie's assessment that Fuch's can be one of the top freshmen in the country?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
reef wrote: 6 months ago I wish Arch didn’t say one of the best freshmen in the country , one of the best frosh in the a10 would have been a better quote
I think I prefer he say what he and his staff think about a player and what they see his potential to be.
A good question for Austin Friday night would be to ask how he found Fuchs and does he agree on Archie's assessment that Fuch's can be one of the top freshmen in the country?
If Fuchs is really that good, need to give Austin some major props in finding a hidden gem.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If Fuchs is really that good, need to give Austin some major props in finding a hidden gem.
Trust Archie. If says he's one of the best Freshmen in the country who am I to say he's wrong? Archie says he's that good then I'm going with it until proven otherwise. That's why he makes the big bucks.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Reef, he has said Fuchs should be one of the best freshman in the A10 A LOT more than best freshman in the country. I’ve only seen him say that once. For some reason this board can get obsessed with certain things and keep repeating it and ignore the other 5 interviews where he didn’t say that. My guess is he thinks Fuchs is one of the better freshman in the conference. Either way we need him to be or some of the other players to be if this team is going to make a jump.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago Reef, he has said Fuchs should be one of the best freshman in the A10 A LOT more than best freshman in the country. I’ve only seen him say that once. For some reason this board can get obsessed with certain things and keep repeating it and ignore the other 5 interviews where he didn’t say that. My guess is he thinks Fuchs is one of the better freshman in the conference. Either way we need him to be or some of the other players to be if this team is going to make a jump.
Exactly. Best is a relative term. Look up lists of best players in the country. Some will be short, top 5, others will be longer, top 100

Important takeaway is the staff thinks Fuchs can contribute immediately. Now we will wait and see to what degree
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago Reef, he has said Fuchs should be one of the best freshman in the A10 A LOT more than best freshman in the country. I’ve only seen him say that once. For some reason this board can get obsessed with certain things and keep repeating it and ignore the other 5 interviews where he didn’t say that. My guess is he thinks Fuchs is one of the better freshman in the conference. Either way we need him to be or some of the other players to be if this team is going to make a jump.
Stevey based on what you are hearing, do you think Fuchs would start over Brown, or at this point which one would be the more impactful player?
Or will they go big and start both, again assuming Green isn't playing (currently not eligible until we hear otherwise).
Wonder how Rory will fit into this mix and would he get substantial minutes.
Foumena is a player we all were extremely excited about, and he still may have the most upside of any of our bigs.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Trust Archie. If says he's one of the best Freshmen in the country who am I to say he's wrong? Archie says he's that good then I'm going with it until proven otherwise. That's why he makes the big bucks.
He definitely never hyped up anyone last year that much. He sounds way more sure about this group than last years group.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago

He definitely never hyped up anyone last year that much. He sounds way more sure about this group than last years group.
I think that’s telling. Last year he did constantly state the need for more work and preparation.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m thinking if Green eligible he starts along with Tyson Zek Luis and Jaden

If Green is denied I think Tyson Fuchs Zek Luis Jaden
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago

Right, he has more confidence with this group because they've actually proven themselves in D1 or Juco. Last year we had multiple guys who
"had potential", but nothing on their resume to prove it. Just look at guys like House, Montgomery, Fuchs, and Kortright. We know they're all individually good, but the real question is how they gel!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 6 months ago I’m thinking if Green eligible he starts along with Tyson Zek Luis and Jaden

If Green is denied I think Tyson Fuchs Zek Luis Jaden
Reef, that could be but I really expect/hope for Weston to make a major leap this year.
He is probably the most gifted athlete on the team.
Injuries and lack of playing time slowed him down, but we saw some glimpses last season.

I know this doesn't mean much now, but he was such a stud in HS, and currently the highest ranked recruit we have on the roster.
I also know SH fans thought he would be their next major star and were disappointed when he transferred after his RS freshman year.

I like that we have several options, and the team does have depth.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey, a big step up from Weston would be a very pleasant surprise and would help this team significantly - especially if Green isn’t cleared.

Weston has the potential to step up - for sure - like you indicated above. I sure hope he wakes up this season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago Jersey, a big step up from Weston would be a very pleasant surprise and would help this team significantly - especially if Green isn’t cleared.

Weston has the potential to step up - for sure - like you indicated above. I sure hope he wakes up this season.
JD, I am hoping he will because we haven't seen the real Weston yet.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah certainly makes a lot of sense , not sure if Arch wants Brandon starting or 6th man , either way he probably gets 25 or so minutes a game I would think
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago
Churchill Bounds and Supreme Cook are definitely AI players made up in Madden dynasty mode
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Stevey based on what you are hearing, do you think Fuchs would start over Brown, or at this point which one would be the more impactful player?
Or will they go big and start both, again assuming Green isn't playing (currently not eligible until we hear otherwise).
Wonder how Rory will fit into this mix and would he get substantial minutes.
Foumena is a player we all were extremely excited about, and he still may have the most upside of any of our bigs.
I really don't know. Fuchs was the hot name all offseason, but lately, it sounds like Brown has made the biggest jump and is really standing out in practice. And I don't think we will learn anything new tomorrow in a quick scrimmage with no defense. But I love that we have options compared to last year
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looked up where the eligible guys who left the program ended up along with their respective new team's record and NET last year, sorted by NET best to worst:

1. Leggett - Pittsburgh 24-12 NET 67
2. Tchikou - Detroit 13-19 NET 212
3. Freeman - Coastal Carolina 8-20 NET 293 - Ineligible
4. Hutchinson - Charleston Southern 8-21 NET 304
5. Thomas - Albany 6-23 NET 342
6. Samb - IUPUI 3-27 NET 360
7. Ant Harris - St Thomas Miami NAIA
8. Carey - Still in Portal

Hutchinson joins Tres Berry at Charleston Southern
Martin used all of his eligibility.

URI finished 9-22 NET 265
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Looked up where the eligible guys who left the program ended up along with their respective new team's record and NET last year, sorted by NET best to worst:

1. Leggett - Pittsburgh 24-12 NET 67
2. Tchikou - Detroit 13-19 NET 212
3. Freeman - Coastal Carolina 8-20 NET 293 - Ineligible
4. Hutchinson - Charleston Southern 8-21 NET 304
5. Thomas - Albany 6-23 NET 342
6. Samb - IUPUI 3-27 NET 360
7. Ant Harris - St Thomas Miami NAIA
8. Carey - Still in Portal

Hutchinson joins Tres Berry at Charleston Southern
Martin used all of his eligibility.

URI finished 9-22 NET 265
Wow be interesting to follow them all season
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Anything to be read in how the teams are made up for tonight?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

Last year we had a Blue White Game October 29, separate from meet the players, etc night. Does this mean there will not ba another Intra-Squad scrimmage?
Plus they played for 40 minutes

Don't read much into the squad makeups.

Last 2 years have made predicting a starting lineup and minutes distribution very difficult, as it has become for many teams.

IMG_0287.jpeg
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

The timing of the season ticket holder appreciation event for season ticket holders is terrible in my opinion. Friday night at 5:00 before the Saturday homecoming game? Really? I am a season ticket holder but I will not be attending this event as I will be down there tomorrow for Homecoming. I know others in the same boat. I do not live that close so I am not going out of my way to deal with Friday afternoon traffic to get down there and then do the same thing the next day. Friday afternoon, early evening traffic is the worse and you have home coming early the next day. I do not who makes these decisions, but they make it seem like their season ticket base does not work (that actually may be the case how old it is) and lives very close to the school. Not the case for me and many others. Would have loved to see the new practice facility but not going to happen. Look forward to reports from others who are able to make it.

Here is the email from the school detailing the event for those who may not be aware.

HOOPFEST & SEASON TICKET HOLDER APPRECIATION PARTY
RSVP REMINDER TO ATTEND THE PRE-EVENT RECEPTION
FRIDAY, OCTOBER, 13, 2023 - 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
RYAN CENTER

New for 2023, we are inviting all fans to attend the Homecoming Hoopfest, which will include introductions of the 2023-24 Men’s and Women’s teams, as well as contests, a Men's Basketball Scrimmage, and an autograph session.

Season ticket holders will be provided with a special reception in the Ryan Center and have the opportunity to meet and mingle with the coaches and players from the men's and women's basketball teams, receive as special gift for attending, and get an exclusive look at the new Soloviev Practice Facility.

There will be complimentary hors d’oeuvres brought to you by Catering Gourmet, Matunuck Oyster Bar, and the Ryan Center, as well as complimentary non-alcoholic beverages provided by Coca-Cola. Each ticket holder and their guests will receive a complimentary beer or wine courtesy of our beverage partners at Shaidzon, Narragansett, Whalers, and Haxton's Liquors. There will be a cash bar for additional purchases.

Each ticket account holder can invite as many guests as they have season tickets to the private reception and tour. For example, if you have four (4) season tickets you may bring 4 people including yourself to this event.

EVENT REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

I wouldn’t, they probably broke them up to get the best competition I would guess
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Based off of tonight's scrimmage, the best lineup, imo, would be Kortright, House, Montgomery, Green and Brown. In the rotation would be Wright, Estevez and Foumena with Weston and Fuchs fighting for playing time. Dubsky will watch and develop and unfortunately, Stewart is at the end of the bench. Weston is a shock, but he needs to show a lot more than he did tonight if he's going to get good minutes.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And with no Green? Who do you think starts? Or then potentially with Green 2nd semester?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago And with no Green? Who do you think starts? Or then potentially with Green 2nd semester?
Foumena or Fuchs for the first question, more likely Foumena with him practicing for a full year but who knows and I don’t know about the second semester with Green because he was still enrolled at LA Tech I believe second semester
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago Based off of tonight's scrimmage, the best lineup, imo, would be Kortright, House, Montgomery, Green and Brown. In the rotation would be Wright, Estevez and Foumena with Weston and Fuchs fighting for playing time. Dubsky will watch and develop and unfortunately, Stewart is at the end of the bench. Weston is a shock, but he needs to show a lot more than he did tonight if he's going to get good minutes.
Billyboy,
Kortright
Montgomery
House
You guards seem to be 3 consistently mentioned as the guards

The big men seem to vary the most between Brown, Fuchs, Foumena, Green, some have mentioned Weston and Stewart

So if you like Brown based on scrimmage and other reasons and Green is not eligible who do you think the 5th starter should be?

Personally I don't think Green will be eligible, best hope would be 2nd semester which could be possible. Fact that Miller had Green off the bench and played only 22 minutes might indicate they know he won't start in November. But either way, who replaces Green?

Thanks for your observations from tonight
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 6 months ago The timing of the season ticket holder appreciation event for season ticket holders is terrible in my opinion. Friday night at 5:00 before the Saturday homecoming game? Really? I am a season ticket holder but I will not be attending this event as I will be down there tomorrow for Homecoming. I know others in the same boat. I do not live that close so I am not going out of my way to deal with Friday afternoon traffic to get down there and then do the same thing the next day. Friday afternoon, early evening traffic is the worse and you have home coming early the next day. I do not who makes these decisions, but they make it seem like their season ticket base does not work (that actually may be the case how old it is) and lives very close to the school. Not the case for me and many others. Would have loved to see the new practice facility but not going to happen. Look forward to reports from others who are able to make it.

Here is the email from the school detailing the event for those who may not be aware.

HOOPFEST & SEASON TICKET HOLDER APPRECIATION PARTY
RSVP REMINDER TO ATTEND THE PRE-EVENT RECEPTION
FRIDAY, OCTOBER, 13, 2023 - 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
RYAN CENTER

New for 2023, we are inviting all fans to attend the Homecoming Hoopfest, which will include introductions of the 2023-24 Men’s and Women’s teams, as well as contests, a Men's Basketball Scrimmage, and an autograph session.

Season ticket holders will be provided with a special reception in the Ryan Center and have the opportunity to meet and mingle with the coaches and players from the men's and women's basketball teams, receive as special gift for attending, and get an exclusive look at the new Soloviev Practice Facility.

There will be complimentary hors d’oeuvres brought to you by Catering Gourmet, Matunuck Oyster Bar, and the Ryan Center, as well as complimentary non-alcoholic beverages provided by Coca-Cola. Each ticket holder and their guests will receive a complimentary beer or wine courtesy of our beverage partners at Shaidzon, Narragansett, Whalers, and Haxton's Liquors. There will be a cash bar for additional purchases.

Each ticket account holder can invite as many guests as they have season tickets to the private reception and tour. For example, if you have four (4) season tickets you may bring 4 people including yourself to this event.

EVENT REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!

My complaint is it was promoted by URI as a 20 minute scrimmage. That did not do much to entice people to attend. I figured 2 10 minute halves and maybe the 40 minute scrimmage like last season on Oct 29th would still take place.

Tonight was 32 minutes - not 20 minutes as advertised.

Not sure why not 40 minutes and be a true full length scrimmage?

20 minutes in total is too short to get most people out for a Friday night who want to see the guys actually play and see what they've got.

The men's team will then take the court and participate in a 20-minute scrimmage. Following the scrimmage, players and the coaching staff will be available for an autograph session on the concourse level.

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/9/26/gene ... enter.aspx
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Even Just prior to event not sure of minutes to be played per half. Turned out to be 16 or 32 minutes total

And why not a WBB Scrimmage as well as men? Why not let fans see both teams in action? WBB will likely be picked by A10 Coaches to win the A10 AQ. Chance to see our new heralded transfers from Manhattan and Syracuse plus our talented freshmen roster additions. URI WBB has improved with every year of Tammi Reiss with this year potentially the best in a very long time dating back to mid 1990's. Missed opportunity to further promote WBB imho.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Even Just prior to event not sure of minutes to be played per half. Turned out to be 16 or 32 minutes total

And why not a WBB Scrimmage as well as men? Why not let fans see both teams in action? WBB will likely be picked by A10 Coaches to win the A10 AQ. Chance to see our new heralded transfers from Manhattan and Syracuse plus our talented freshmen roster additions. URI WBB has improved with every year of Tammi Reiss with this year potentially the best in a very long time dating back to mid 1990's. Missed opportunity to further promote WBB imho.
We talked to Tammi at the reception. She said they weren't scrimmaging because they had a tough practice in the morning. She said they typically practice early and the men practice late.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I too thought it was a great nite to show off the women’s team for a short scrimmage. Maybe before some eyes that don’t attend women’s games. Marketing opportunity lost.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 6 months ago
ramster wrote: 6 months ago And with no Green? Who do you think starts? Or then potentially with Green 2nd semester?
Foumena or Fuchs for the first question, more likely Foumena with him practicing for a full year but who knows and I don’t know about the second semester with Green because he was still enrolled at LA Tech I believe second semester
If Green is denied a waiver, he won’t be eligible till next fall. Not sure why some are thinking possibly 2nd semester.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago Based off of tonight's scrimmage, the best lineup, imo, would be Kortright, House, Montgomery, Green and Brown. In the rotation would be Wright, Estevez and Foumena with Weston and Fuchs fighting for playing time. Dubsky will watch and develop and unfortunately, Stewart is at the end of the bench. Weston is a shock, but he needs to show a lot more than he did tonight if he's going to get good minutes.
Billyboy,
Kortright
Montgomery
House

The big men seem to vary the most between Brown, Fuchs, Foumena, Green, some have mentioned Weston and Stewart

So if you like Brown based on scrimmage and other reasons and Green is not eligible who do you think the 5th starter should be?

Personally I don't think Green will be eligible, best hope would be 2nd semester which could be possible. Fact that Miller had Green off the bench and played only 22 minutes might indicate they know he won't start in November. But either way, who replaces Green?

I'd like to see Brown and Foumena play together if Green is ineligible. Foumena moves well for a guy his size, and handles and shoots it pretty well too. But I'm not sure how that would look. Might have to go smaller pushing Zeke to the 4. I really like Estevez. I think he's already better than Weston. I don't think it will be Rory or Fuchs. It could depend on the matchup and how big the other team is at the 3 and 4. So, in answer to your question, Foumena or Estevez.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago
Billyboy,
Kortright
Montgomery
House

I'd like to see Brown and Foumena play together if Green is ineligible. Foumena moves well for a guy his size, and handles and shoots it pretty well too. But I'm not sure how that would look. Might have to go smaller pushing Zeke to the 4. I really like Estevez. I think he's already better than Weston. I don't think it will be Rory or Fuchs. It could depend on the matchup and how big the other team is at the 3 and 4. So, in answer to your question, Foumena or Estevez.
Glad to hear that Cam looks Impressive. Even though the reports on Weston at the scrimmage were disappointing, I am still expecting him to step up this season. I like that we have several good options up front and all our bigs can contribute.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

One scrimmage means nothing. Love to see the kids out there playing together, but last year Ish bombed the scrimmage and was by far our best player. Means very little. Let’s hope they continue to improve and gel together.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If Green is denied a waiver, he won’t be eligible till next fall. Not sure why some are thinking possibly 2nd semester.

Green's last game played for Louisiana Tech was @ UTEP December 17. He played only 10 minutes and fouled out.

Green only played 6 games and 97 total minutes. Green played the 1st 3 games, then sat out the next 5 games injured, with his last 3 games being games 9,10 and 11 (Dec 17).

Louisiana Tech is on a Quarterly Academic year. 4 Quarters per Year.

If Green is denied a waiver that will mean almost 2 years without playing a single game (1 year 10 months to be exact)

Green entered the portal January 9 2023

Fairness would at least indicate he be eligible to play at start of this A10 Conference Season (miss OOC games) even if denied a waiver. Similar to Antwan Walker with his transfer from Georgetown

Green was dismissed (based on comments on Louisiana Tech board) from the Louisiana Tech team as was Walker from Georgetown.

At minimum I'd hope he is eligible in January.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Green's last game played for Louisiana Tech was @ UTEP December 17. He played only 10 minutes and fouled out.

Green only played 6 games and 97 total minutes. Green played the 1st 3 games, then sat out the next 5 games injured, with his last 3 games being games 9,10 and 11 (Dec 17).

If Green is denied a waiver that will mean almost 2 years without playing a single game (1 year 10 months to be exact)

Fairness would at least indicate he be eligible to play at start of this A10 Conference Season (miss OOC games) even if denied a waiver. Similar to Antwan Walker with his transfer from Georgetown

Green was dismissed (based on comments on Louisiana Tech board) from the Louisiana Tech team as was Walker from Georgetown.

Ramster there is a big difference between Green and Walker.

Walker transferred to URI in December and was enrolled for the spring semester of 2019.
Walker was also denied a waiver to play in the fall of 2019 and had to sit a year at URI and he wasn't eligible until the second semester.

Green didn't enroll here until after the 22-23 season.

The NCAA regarding multi-transfers requires student athletes to sit a full year at the new school unless they receive a waiver.
What we may think is the right thing to do versus what the NCAA decides may be very different.
I am sure many of the players that are denied waivers, feel that the decision was unfair.

That isn't to say that he wouldn't qualify for a medical hardship waiver if his injury was season ending and get back that additional year of eligibility.
Last edited by Jersey77 6 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Does the NCAA have an obligation to provided a ruling before the season begins? (I would hope)
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Walker transferred to URI in December and was enrolled for the spring semester of 2019.
Walker was also denied a waiver to play in the fall of 2020 and had to sit a year a URI and he wasn't eligible until the second semester.

The NCAA regarding multi-transfers requires student athletes to sit a full year at the new school unless they receive a waiver.
What we may think is the right thing to do versus what the NCAA decides may be very different.
I am sure many of the players that are denied waivers, feel that the decision was unfair.

That isn't to say that he wouldn't qualify for a medical hardship waiver if his injury was season ending and get back the additional year of eligibility.
So if Green enters portal on January 9, 2023, there is no difference with someone who enters on September 1, 2023?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Walker was also denied a waiver to play in the fall of 2019 and had to sit a year at URI and he wasn't eligible until the second semester.

That isn't to say that he wouldn't qualify for a medical hardship waiver if his injury was season ending and get back the additional year of eligibility.
So if Green enters portal on January 9, 2023, there is no difference with someone who enters on September 1, 2023?
If you transfer in Sept. you automatically won't be eligible because the portal window has already closed.
Last edited by Jersey77 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago Does the NCAA have an obligation to provided a ruling before the season begins? (I would hope)
They do not as far as I know
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The fact that Green only played in 6 games has to help him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Golocal.com preview of the 11 new players

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/uri- ... ew-players
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Mal sits in my section. Didn't know he started a new career as a sportswriter
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Golocal.com preview of the 11 new players

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/uri- ... ew-players
Nice piece, looking forward to reading more as the season unfolds, maybe after each game.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I’m bored and itching for the season to start. Why does that matter?

With my free time I noticed House and Kortright both deactivated their instagrams today.

Let the speculation begin…now
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago I’m bored and itching for the season to start. Why does that matter?

With my free time I noticed House and Kortright both deactivated their instagrams today.

Let the speculation begin…now
I'm definitely with you on the itching for the season to start. We're so close!

My guess on the IG deactivations...they're just getting ready for the season to start. Don't want any distractions. Time to get to work!
3 x