A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by ramster »

Lindy's College Basketball Projections

1. Dayton
2. St Bonaventure
3. Duquesne
4. St Joseph's
5. VCU
6. Fordham
7. Loyola Chicago
8. Richmond
9. George Washington
10. UMASS
11. URI
12. St Louis
13. Davidson
14. George Mason
15. LaSalle

1st Team
James Bishop - George Washington
Erik Reynolds II - St Joseph's
Charles Pride - St Bonaventure
Dae Dae Grant - Duquesne
DaRon Holmes II - Dayton

2nd Team
Daryl Banks III - St Bonaventure
Joe Bamislle - VCU - not eligible waiver denied
Gibson Jimerson - St Louis
Matt Cross - UMASS
Neal Quinn - Richmond

3rd Team
Malachi Smith - Dayton
Cameron Brown - St Joseph's
Phillip Alston - Loyola Chicago
Josh Cohen - UMASS
Chad Venning - St Bonaventure
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago When did Xavier rejoin the A10? When did St. John's join?
See…this is the problem with realignment these days…the A10 expands and contracts before our very eyes and we are the last to know.

Xavier and the Johnnies were here one second and gone the next. It’s almost like they were never here.

It’s realignment at lightening speed, I tell ya. Lightening speed! :lol:
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Lindy's College Basketball Projections

1. Dayton
2. St Bonaventure
3. Duquesne
4. St Joseph's
5. VCU
6. Fordham
7. Loyola Chicago
8. Richmond
9. George Washington
10. UMASS
11. URI
12. St Louis
13. Davidson
14. George Mason
15. LaSalle

1st Team
James Bishop - George Washington
Erik Reynolds II - St Joseph's
Charles Pride - St Bonaventure
Dae Dae Grant - Duquesne
DaRon Holmes II - Dayton

2nd Team
Daryl Banks III - St Bonaventure
Joe Bamislle - VCU - not eligible waiver denied
Gibson Jimerson - St Louis
Matt Cross - UMASS
Neal Quinn - Richmond

3rd Team
Malachi Smith - Dayton
Cameron Brown - St Joseph's
Phillip Alston - Loyola Chicago
Josh Cohen - UMASS
Chad Venning - St Bonaventure
Ramster, I am going to go with a Triple Lindy off the high board - like Rodney Dangerfield in the movie, Back to School - and go with Rhody finishing higher than a plain ole Lindy projection with a finish inside the top 8. :D

Go Rhody!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just announced 3rd game at MSG Saturday Dec 16 between Penn State and GaTech. Mike Rhoades 1st year P5 HC hitting the ground running
Big opportunity for Fordham vs Pitino/St Johns

Penn State vs Georgia Tech MBB 12pm
St. John's vs Fordham MBB 3:30pm
St. John's vs. Villanova WBB 6pm

https://gopsusports.com/news/2023/10/10 ... ec-16.aspx
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KenPom has the following for their preseason prediction:

1. Dayton 12-6
1. St. Bonaventure 12-6
1. Loyola Chicago 12-6
4. VCU 11-7
4. Duquesne 11-7
6. Saint Joseph's 10-8
7. Saint Louis 9-9
7. Richmond 9-9
9. Davidson 8-10
9. Fordham 8-10
9. George Mason 8-10
12. Rhode Island 7-11
12. La Salle 7-11
14. Massachusetts 6-12
14. George Washington 6-12

However our 7-11 record is an improvement from what he feels like we'll do on a game by game basis. He only has us going 4-14 on a game by game basis with our only wins coming vs. Massachusetts, vs. Fordham, vs. La Salle, and vs. George Mason
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

To me this season will be a complete failure if we're playing on Tuesday during the conference championship, that means we need to finish no worse than 9th.

Going back to the 2015 season, that means for this season to not be a failure we need to go at least 7-11 in the A10, but probably need to go no worse than 8-10. Only three times since 2015 has a team with 7 conference wins stayed out of the PIG and two of those were during messed up Covid years. Only one time has a team with 8 wins been in the PIG.

With our resources and our increased commitment as evidenced by the salary for Archie, his assistants, and the practice facility and the historic weakness of our conference there is no excuse to finish worse than 9th this year. The last three years we've been in the PIG and that is simply unacceptable and needs to end this year
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago KenPom has the following for their preseason prediction:

1. Dayton 12-6
1. St. Bonaventure 12-6
1. Loyola Chicago 12-6
4. VCU 11-7
4. Duquesne 11-7
6. Saint Joseph's 10-8
7. Saint Louis 9-9
7. Richmond 9-9
9. Davidson 8-10
9. Fordham 8-10
9. George Mason 8-10
12. Rhode Island 7-11
12. La Salle 7-11
14. Massachusetts 6-12
14. George Washington 6-12

However our 7-11 record is an improvement from what he feels like we'll do on a game by game basis. He only has us going 4-14 on a game by game basis with our only wins coming vs. Massachusetts, vs. Fordham, vs. La Salle, and vs. George Mason
St Louis, Richmond and Davidson are all ripe to be jumped over by us.

Loyola being given so much love that to me is a bit unfounded. 15th to 3rd is almost unheard of in the A10 and I just don't see it based on who they brought in.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago To me this season will be a complete failure if we're playing on Tuesday during the conference championship, that means we need to finish no worse than 9th.

Going back to the 2015 season, that means for this season to not be a failure we need to go at least 7-11 in the A10, but probably need to go no worse than 8-10. Only three times since 2015 has a team with 7 conference wins stayed out of the PIG and two of those were during messed up Covid years. Only one time has a team with 8 wins been in the PIG.

With our resources and our increased commitment as evidenced by the salary for Archie, his assistants, and the practice facility and the historic weakness of our conference there is no excuse to finish worse than 9th this year. The last three years we've been in the PIG and that is simply unacceptable and needs to end this year
Yeah I pretty much agree. My base line for this season is a .500 or better record in conference. Of course how we look in the process will also be very important, but that's what I am looking for at this stage of the rebuild or whatever you want to call it.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 6 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago To me this season will be a complete failure if we're playing on Tuesday during the conference championship, that means we need to finish no worse than 9th.

Yeah I pretty much agree. My base line for this season is a .500 or better record in conference. Of course how we look in the process will also be very important, but that's what I am looking for at this stage of the rebuild or whatever you want to call it.
Yeah I pretty much agree also , would think we would finish in the top 10 with the following season another jump
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The KenPom records projections appear - to me fwiw - to indicate they view the conf as mediocre.

IF that is the case, I would think we can finish in the top eight in a mediocre conference.

If the conf does turn out to be mediocre then finishing 11th would be a disappointment imho.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KenPom’s Mid-Major Top 25:

1. San Diego St
2. Memphis
3. FAU
4. St.Mary’s
5. UNM
6. Boise
7. Nevada
8. Dayton
9. Bona
10. Yale
11. Colorado St
12. Loyola (IL)
13. Liberty
14. UNLV
15. Drake
16. GCU
17. VCU
18. UNT
19. Duquesne
20. UAB
21. LMU
22. SMU
23. Dons
24. UCI
25. Tulane
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will NEVER understand the love Loyola is getting. They were objectively terrible last year. One of the worst in all of D1.

People had them picked TOP 50 PRESEASON. They finished outside of the top 300.

These lists mean nothing. They mean less at the mid-major level because people just throw out any name they can remember from whatever NCAA tourney run that sticks in their head.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago The KenPom records projections appear - to me fwiw - to indicate they view the conf as mediocre.

IF that is the case, I would think we can finish in the top eight in a mediocre conference.

If the conf does turn out to be mediocre then finishing 11th would be a disappointment imho.
A disappointment? Well, that would be the least of it since we hired Archie Miller for over $2M a year.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago The KenPom records projections appear - to me fwiw - to indicate they view the conf as mediocre.

A disappointment? Well, that would be the least of it since we hired Archie Miller for over $2M a year.
I can't even imagine your reaction if you find out how much Belichick is getting paid this year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 6 months ago

I can't even imagine your reaction if you find out how much Belichick is getting paid this year.
I just heard Kansas is paying a player $2M a year in NIL. Maybe that kid can coach here?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

The KB board will be much better off, if the posters don't pay attention to all the pre-season polls this year.

We are so difficult to predict even by those of us who pay attention let alone all those outside not closely following our program.

I guess nothing this season will really surprise me since I have modest expectations and don't anticipate any post season play for us.

Still, regardless of our record, I expect to see much improvement, be competitive and avoid the bad losses, and retain our core players for 24-25.

Also, we are not a mediocre conference, should be top 4 mid-major by season end.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago The KB board will be much better off, if the posters don't pay attention to all the pre-season polls this year.

We are so difficult to predict even by those of us who pay attention let alone all those outside not closely following our program.

I guess nothing this season will really surprise me since I have modest expectations and don't anticipate any post season play for us.

Still, regardless of our record, I expect to see much improvement, be competitive and avoid the bad losses, and retain our core players for 24-25.

Also, we are not a mediocre conference, should be top 4 mid-major by season end.
Jersey, I hope you are right. But if we don't retain the best players (well, we don't know who they are at this point) and we aren't in post season discussions next year....................................
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago The KB board will be much better off, if the posters don't pay attention to all the pre-season polls this year.

Jersey, I respectfully disagree with respect to the KenPom records. IF the KenPom records play out as projected then that is a mediocre, one bid conference for NCAAT purposes.

IF the conference’s first place team finishes 12-6 in conference, that is not good.

That said, the KenPom predictions may very well be off-base so I will reserve judgement and instead wait to see how the season plays out and how the conference does in the out of conference schedule and in comparison to other high mid-major conferences regarding NCAAT at large bids.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago

Jersey, I respectfully disagree with respect to the KenPom records. IF the KenPom records play out as projected then that is a mediocre, one bid conference for NCAAT purposes.

IF the conference’s first place team finishes 12-6 in conference, that is not good.

That said, the KenPom predictions may very well be off-base so I will reserve judgement and instead wait to see how the season plays out and how the conference does in the out of conference schedule and in comparison to other high mid-major conferences regarding NCAAT at large bids.
I don't pay much attention to KenPom.

Besides if we are the 4th best mid-major out of 26, that is better than mediocre, regardless if we only get 1 bid at worst.
I think the competition in the A10 will be very competitive top to bottom, even though there might not be any really great teams.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago

Besides if we are the 4th best mid-major out of 26, that is better than mediocre, regardless if we only get 1 bid at worst.
I think the competition in the A10 will be very competitive top to bottom, even though there might not be any really great teams.
Huh? We get one bid through the tournament again and this conference is dead.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I don't think it is dead, I just feel the NCAA will continue to make things more difficult, along with P5 and possibly BE expansion.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You want to know when this started? The Rat started this. They changed away from RPI after that year.

I said to [N.C. State coach Mark Gottfried] at the end of the game, "I hope you guys get in." I don’t understand it. They won at Tennessee. They probably should have beaten Syracuse twice. I think they've played a really good schedule, and they’ve got one of the best players in the country. ... I’ll get in trouble probably for saying it. Like the Atlantic 10, they're a really good conference. I hear people saying there are six teams in there. Come on.

I mean, they're good, but put them in our conference and go through the meat grinder that our conference has to go through. But really ... our league should get more respect. The fact that Pitt comes in here and people are saying they have to do something, come on. Come on, man. I don't get it. The Clemson team we played last night is a heck of a basketball team.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Have no worries Bluram the A10 is far from dead or even mediocre.
We should get a minimum of 2 teams in the NCAAT for 2023-2024.
The winner of the A10 regular season has always gotten a bid to the "Dance".

As I said before, aside from last season, it is extremely rare that the regular season champ also wins the A10T, and this season our conference is very wide open.
If I was to make an early prediction, I would say Dayton wins the regular season and the Bonnies win the A10T.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think I've gotten a little bit more pessimistic about the A-10 from this point last season, just because there is seemingly some questions about the top programs in the conference. To me, that's Dayton and VCU, and the Bonnies as long as they retain Schmidt. VCU has had good success recently, but coaching changes are almost always a crapshoot. At Dayton, Grant's seat should probably be warm. Excluding his first year, they've been .563+ each year after, which is good. He hasn't made the NCAA tournament in six seasons, which is kind of a technicality (they were ranked #3 in the country in 2020). But they've underachieved in the three seasons since.

After that, you get to a softer second tier. St. Louis and Travis Ford are like the eternal tease - feels like they've been well-regarded every year but always underachieve, which is the impression I got of his UMass and Oklahoma State tenures too. Some decent win totals, but they just shit the bed against decent opponents more than they should. Davidson was really good with Bob McKillop, but few things make my spidey sense tingle more than a blatantly obvious nepotism hire, although Matt has only had one season so far. We've kind of sucked for a couple years now, and UMass is farther removed from success than we are. (Miller and Martin suggest that both programs are investing to a higher degree than some other schools I'd put lower.)

So, I don't know. I think one or two at-large berths, with maybe one more from the AQ, would be a result I'd be okay with. I wouldn't be surprised if we were only a one-bid league again, though. I would be surprised if we had 4+ teams in the NCAA tournament. Since so many teams are clearly rebuilding still, as I think theblueram and others have pointed out, the path for teams similar to URI to make it would rely on winning like 25+ regular season games, since our OOC schedule is so weak.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Picked to finish 14th by coaches.
No players on all league teams.

Nowhere to go but up.
Let’s go shock the world !!
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

14th ?!?!!?!

yeah.. umm.. no
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Tape the preseason poll to the front door of the practice facility
1 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

I don't take much credence into these preseason polls, but what am I missing about Loyola Chicago?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago 14th ?!?!!?!

yeah.. umm.. no
I don't think we'll finish there, but you really can't argue we deserve to be much higher, if at all.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We can certainly say our roster is improved, and therefore should be higher than last years prediction. Did everyone else also improve that much?
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago We can certainly say our roster is improved, and therefore should be higher than last years prediction. Did everyone else also improve that much?
That’s where I’m at Rhodymob. We are definitely better. By a significant margin. And the league is in no way better so nowhere to go but up.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_JAM wrote: 6 months ago I don't take much credence into these preseason polls, but what am I missing about Loyola Chicago?
Loyola picked #8 is very understandable.

Philip Alston is one of the best forwards in the A10, preseason pick 2nd Team All-Conference.
(F) Ben Schwieger was on the A10 All-Rookie Team last season, not sure if he will be as good as his brother was.
They return starting PG Norris averaged 11 pts/4 assists last season.
Plus, solid transfers in (wing) Watson (9.4 pts Davidson), (G) Dolan (13.3 pts/3.5 assists/42.5% 3PT Cornell), and (PF/C) Adelekun (14 pts/7 rebs Dartmouth). Also, several other newcomers.
They have size and returning depth.

The biggest question mark is how well Valentine will manage in his 2nd season in the A10.
He is only 32 and now in his 3rd year as HC.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago Picked to finish 14th by coaches.

Nowhere to go but up.
Incredible bulletin board material
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I have more confidence this year but with 11 newcomers you can’t blame others for picking us so low. I’d be happy with an 8th or 9th place finish.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Archie isn't a big promoter type. I think it's an encouraging sign that this year he is saying things a bit more bullish about the players and the team.
He did not say any of that last year. It's clear he is more excited about this group and their chances.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Here's my prediction when NET comes out in December for the A10. I hope I am totally wrong of course, but this is how I see it

0-50 No teams
51-100 3 teams
101-200 5 teams
200+ 7 teams

Now I hope I am wrong, but it seems this conference is getting played as a direct result of the portal and NIL. If this plays out again like last year, we have some serious problems. Who knows, maybe my pessimism is unwarranted and the conference just kills it OOC and heads into conference play with high NET numbers. Let's see what happens.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's the thing Blue...if the better teams don't beat anyone of consequence in OOC yes the numbers will look like that.
But that was always the case. The years we went to tourney were due to big OOC wins over ranked teams (Cincy, Seton Hall) along with doing well in conference. The last few years there has been almost no BIG wins by A10 teams in OOC. In fact if you go back over the last 10 years I bet those 2 wins by us in 16-18 are amongst the best metric wins the league has had in that time period.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bar you are probably right. I went and looked at Dayton 2019-2020 since they only lost two games and they didn't even beat a top 25 team that year. Now granted, they only lost two games which is pretty amazing. That's kind of like a Gonzaga type year.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Those two games were against those top-25 teams (Kansas and Colorado)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago That's the thing Blue...if the better teams don't beat anyone of consequence in OOC yes the numbers will look like that.
But that was always the case. The years we went to tourney were due to big OOC wins over ranked teams (Cincy, Seton Hall) along with doing well in conference. The last few years there has been almost no BIG wins by A10 teams in OOC. In fact if you go back over the last 10 years I bet those 2 wins by us in 16-18 are amongst the best metric wins the league has had in that time period.
The amount of tourney level P6 teams the Best A10 teams have lost to the last 5ish years is staggering.

I don’t know the specific numbers but feels like the A10 lost like 8 out of every 10 tourney level OOC games.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago That's the thing Blue...if the better teams don't beat anyone of consequence in OOC yes the numbers will look like that.
The amount of tourney level P6 teams the Best A10 teams have lost to the last 5ish years is staggering.

I don’t know the specific numbers but feels like the A10 lost like 8 out of every 10 tourney level OOC games.
More like 9 or 10 out of 10. Dayton beat Kansas in that tourney couple years ago. But trying to think of big wins in OOC by A10 front runners over last 5-6 years and can’t think of any.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago

More like 9 or 10 out of 10. Dayton beat Kansas in that tourney couple years ago. But trying to think of big wins in OOC by A10 front runners over last 5-6 years and can’t think of any.
Covid year really hurt the a10. Dayton going to the elite 8 or final 4 would have been huge. Plus, Richmond was strong and possibly rhody/st Louis had a chance to advance if they won a10. A10 was on the downswing but it feels like that year really hurt our league.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The OOC schedules of all the predicted upper tier A10 teams allow them the opportunity of improving their NET and getting an at-large bid.
All they have to do is win and just as important avoid having the bad losses.

Interesting that Charleston is scheduled to play Duquesne, URI, St. Joe's, and possibly SLU (Myrtle Beach Classic).

Our ranking in the A10 coach's poll should not be a surprise to anyone.
All we can do is prove them wrong and of course I expect us to finish higher.

Yes, we all agree that our roster is more talented and bigger than last season.
However more important is how we stack up against the other teams.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

First one that comes to mind is St Louis over PC only because it was last season.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago Picked to finish 14th by coaches.

Nowhere to go but up.
Hmm, It's almost like they're all thinking, "they may not finish very high in the conference...but, they don't have any good players either"
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

First one that comes to mind is St Louis over PC only because it was last season.
SLU also beat Memphis last season.
VCU did beat a good Pitt team last season.

Last season was hoping to have VCU, SLU, and Dayton all in the NCAAT.
Again, it is all about avoiding the bad losses, some key wins, and staying healthy.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Let me see , 14th according to the A10 coaches ? I hope their scouting during the season is that poor . Somehow I'm feeling we might have a coach and a team on a mission . Looking forward to proving the naysayers wrong . I don't think anyone know anything about this team and I will include myself
in that group , but i have some strong feelings that there will be some major surprises coming our way . Hope those strong feelings are about to be
confirmed . We will know more in two weeks .
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SLU also beat Memphis last season.
VCU did beat a good Pitt team last season.

Last season was hoping to have VCU, SLU, and Dayton all in the NCAAT.
Again, it is all about avoiding the bad losses, some key wins, and staying healthy.
Davidson beat Bama in Birmingham a couple years ago. A Bama team that made it to the sweet 16.

Probably the only marquee non-conference win Davidson has had since they joined the league.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ken Pom 2023-2024 A10 Rankings:

1. Dayton 69
2. St Bonaventure 70
3. Loyola Chicago 75
4. VCU 86
5. Duquesne 89
6. St Joseph's 104