Homecoming Hoopfest - MBB Scrimmage

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Re: Homecoming Hoopfest - MBB Scrimmage

Unread post by ram1980 »

Bottom line granted it was a pretty much defenseless scrimmage, if Green is eligible the less time Weston and Stewart see, the better we probably are. Stewart plays hard. Just not athletic enough. Weston is the same as last year. Did not play well and obviously was upset about it. Not sure he can handle the mental part of the game.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhodyram wrote: 6 months ago Aside from a lot of extra chicken sandwiches, what was the fan:
/student turnout like?
Lackluster, but at the same time they didn’t have the typical 101 student section seating there because of the meals for the students being served there could’ve been more students mixed in with the crowd
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ram1980 wrote: 6 months ago Bottom line granted it was a pretty much defenseless scrimmage, if Green is eligible the less time Weston and Stewart see, the better we probably are. Stewart plays hard. Just not athletic enough. Weston is the same as last year. Did not play well and obviously was upset about it. Not sure he can handle the mental part of the game.
Yes, although I saw decent pressure on the ball being executed, there times not. Nice to see players hitting the floor for a couple of loose balls, nice effort even in scrimmage. Who is going to be our time protector? Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago Funny that Green was our least exciting portal pick up

Off to a promising start!

Give him the damn waiver!
It was at 5:30. Plenty of time to party after.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 6 months ago Aside from a lot of extra chicken sandwiches, what was the fan:
/student turnout like?
I'd say about 100, but that includes the men's players, the women's players, the cheerleaders and the ramettes. Not counting them? Maybe 20.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago
/student turnout like?
I'd say about 100, but that includes the men's players, the women's players, the cheerleaders and the ramettes. Not counting them? Maybe 20.
yikes
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

No footage?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Okay I see

Two quick highlights on the instagram page 🙄
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago No Carothers banner! The Ryan Center has never looked so beautiful!
Demon Muskrat, begone!
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago No footage?
This is exactly why I post videos when I can. The lack of footage is embarrassing. The best they could do was two easy layups? They didn't get any of Green going off? Nothing from the big men? Cmon...
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
/student turnout like?
yikes
I seriously think you’re overreacting. I was a student not so long ago, and there’s no way I’m spending my Friday night watching a CBB scrimmage :lol:
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago No footage?
This is exactly why I post videos when I can. The lack of footage is embarrassing. The best they could do was two easy layups? They didn't get any of Green going off? Nothing from the big men? Cmon...
Your presence was sorely missed

Hope you're at the exhibition so we can have highlights!
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 6 months ago I seriously think you’re overreacting. I was a student not so long ago, and there’s no way I’m spending my Friday night watching a CBB scrimmage :lol:
I live 5m away and I didn’t go so guilty…
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Best part of the night I think was finding out Gansetts will be $13 this year.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago Best part of the night I think was finding out Gansetts will be $13 this year.
Nice that Sea and Sand held the line with “only” being $14. Let me guess a Gansett or Sea and Sand for $1 more.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Anyone see Hammond and the other recruits ?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 6 months ago Anyone see Hammond and the other recruits ?
Yes, he was sitting under the basket near the Rhody bench with his parents, I assume. Others were also under the basket on the same side on the other side of the court.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago Best part of the night I think was finding out Gansetts will be $13 this year.
That's criminal.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 6 months ago
That's criminal.
Yep, but you can't report it from the scene, 'cuz...Ry-fi
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

If you buy it, they will charge. That's life.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RI_Bred wrote: 6 months ago
That's criminal.
Yep, but you can't report it from the scene, 'cuz...Ry-fi
King size cans? 16 oz. or 12 oz. drafts???
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago
Nice that Sea and Sand held the line with “only” being $14. Let me guess a Gansett or Sea and Sand for $1 more.
Gansett every time. Not even close.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

rhodyram22 wrote: 6 months ago

yikes
I seriously think you’re overreacting. I was a student not so long ago, and there’s no way I’m spending my Friday night watching a CBB scrimmage :lol:
Free beer would work.
Last edited by SGreenwell 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed broken quote usage.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

yikes
It's also pretty hilarious that people are criticizing students for not going, it's not like the regular fan population was well represented either
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago No Carothers banner! The Ryan Center has never looked so beautiful!
Unfortunately thinking about this some more, I'm not sure this is a permanent thing. Along with the Carothers banner, the banners for Ernie Calverley and Michelle Washington weren't in their normal spots, the banners for Tom Garrick, Kenny Green, and Silk Owens were nowhere to be found, and they're going to be raising a banner 11/7 to recognize the women's team's A10 regular season championship
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

yikes
It's also pretty hilarious that people are criticizing students for not going, it's not like the regular fan population was well represented either
Agree. Why would any college student ever want to attend this on a Friday night? For that matter not many non students were looking forward to a scrimmage to a program that has been awful for years. The only way they get people to attend these games or events is to win. Schedule does them no favors this year, but we obviously are built to face big time opponents so it makes sense why Archie set up such a soft schedule.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The complexity of students has changed over the last couple of decades. These days, they go to school 5 days a week, go to work at least 3 nights a week, have all sorts of other responsibilities at home and elsewhere, they aren't regular fans, if at all. If you want to find students who have parents paying the entire $100k bill (a year?) for their education who have tons of free time to go watch a "practice" you might want to look at places like a certain liberal arts college in Providence, or one of the many other ones located throughout Mass.

That girl in the video who told Always she would come to a game, was basically saying, I normally wouldn't, but because some hot guy from the basketball team asked me personally, I'll find time to go to ONE game. She wasn't promising anymore than that.

If you want to lure students to the Ryan on a Friday night, chicken sandwiches they can find in the cafeteria aren't going to do it. Maybe try free weed, that might get a few, or at least anyone who might be available (see above for avg availability of a typical student on a friday night).
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Lot simpler than that….

Win…

I also believe parking the students in one end of the building vs the sideline does not encourage student participation.
6 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

yikes
Yeah, genuinely weird. If the team is good students will show, if they're bad they won't. It's simple.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Seems like we have the same discussion every season…and the answer is always the same…win. I don’t blame the kids, really what fun is it to go watch a crappy team lose and lose and lose. I certainly don’t go to as many games when we suck.
3 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

When I was a student I was a huge fan and I went to a lot of games. That said, there is no way that I would have gone to a preseason scrimmage on a Friday night.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

/student turnout like?
yikes
Billyboy,
I was not able to attend
What was the turnout of non-students or annual season ticket holders? Was it on a par with the last few years or was it higher or lower than last year or last few years?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 6 months ago When I was a student I was a huge fan and I went to a lot of games. That said, there is no way that I would have gone to a preseason scrimmage on a Friday night.
It wasn't great. There were a lot less people at this than there were at the women's games towards the end of last season, if you want a comparison.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 6 months ago When I was a student I was a huge fan and I went to a lot of games. That said, there is no way that I would have gone to a preseason scrimmage on a Friday night.
It wasn't great. There were a lot less people at this than there were at the women's games towards the end of last season, if you want a comparison.
That feels like a good comparison. I would say maybe 300-400?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'd say it was a good/great event for us and the kids - (the practice facility tour, etc). I thought it was nice to have the upper level open as a perk for season ticket holders, along with the tour. But, it felt like it usually does: pretend exclusivity, then a couple days before they're begging for people to come through.

We need to go back to making it a midnight madness event. Bringing in a musical act the students get behind, etc.

I see plenty of video of other schools doing that. I remember it being done plenty of times here.

Our fanbase, and again I'm largely not describing those on here, SUCKS. We have terrible fans. The worst fans.

Mainly because I think we market to this shitty, lame, local group of old-acting people. We try to create an experience for them (behavior, swearing, drinking, fun, etc), and we end up getting no one. Sports fans don't want to come to a lame place where it takes an hour to get a beer, your behavior is policed, and the quiet "family" type fans don't usually come unless it's perfectly convenient.

That matters especially for the students, who are the engine that drives the atmosphere bus, and actually a) makes the games fun, and b) helps the team.

So we're left with hoping for a big game or an undefeated URI team to fill out the stands or events.

This event was a microcasm of that. It honestly should've been electric - but you needed at least 1000 more people than we had. Students especially.

I like the format of having a special reception in the lobby for season ticket holders...stick with that. But def make it a "late night madness" type thing where you can have some hype before the scrimmage, and then some type of concert to keep the students there for after.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well said about trying to cater to this middle ground of fan and in the process enticing almost no one
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

#1 rule of marketing...if you try to appeal to everyone you will appeal to no one.

This event should be built and designed for the students...and then find creative ways (like Blue pointed out) to engage your core season ticket holders with maybe a smaller event for them beforehand or some type of reserved area to sit, etc. If they come great, if they decide it's for young people that's fine too.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If this type of event was held at Duke on a Friday night, would students be there? I'm facetiously asking this question because of the excuse given that students were not there because Friday night is for partying and hanging out. Do Duke University students party and hang out?.....NO, I'M NOT COMPARING US TO DUKE! JUST POINTING OUT THAT THE EXCUSE BEING FRIDAY NIGHT IS LAME.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago
So we're left with hoping for a big game or an undefeated URI team to fill out the stands or events.

This event was a microcosm of that.
Wash, rinse, repeat...year after year. Sigh.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's been the same thing since I went to games in the late 80's/early 90's.

Back then, we had, not just a few students, but the entire north endzone in Keaney gym, stomping those aluminum bleachers in unison, you might have thought the old Union Pacific Big Blow was coming down the tracks.

And Q-tips on both sides in the good seats looking over at us like we were something smelly. Like as if to say, who invited the riff raff in here, they are ruining my peace and quiet. This was supposed to be my relaxing "me" time. Call security and have them all removed.

Nothing ever really changes. I'd be curious to know what Thorr's opinion is on all of this. My guess is he's not about to alienate the paying consumers in favor of students who don't show up unless it's a top-25 nationally televised game on a particular day of the week, where the moon aligns with the stars just right, so that they feel up to coming out.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago #1 rule of marketing...if you try to appeal to everyone you will appeal to no one.

This event should be built and designed for the students...and then find creative ways (like Blue pointed out) to engage your core season ticket holders with maybe a smaller event for them beforehand or some type of reserved area to sit, etc. If they come great, if they decide it's for young people that's fine too.
Should do it like has been in the past.

1. Season ticket holder event - on the court area to mingle with staff and players, food, beer, etc. Were the coaches and players even available in the reception area like it was advertised? I only saw Archie for a few minutes, nobody else.

2. Midnight Madness with musical act only for students on a separate night all together
3 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago If this type of event was held at Duke on a Friday night, would students be there? I'm facetiously asking this question because of the excuse given that students were not there because Friday night is for partying and hanging out. Do Duke University students party and hang out?.....NO, I'M NOT COMPARING US TO DUKE! JUST POINTING OUT THAT THE EXCUSE BEING FRIDAY NIGHT IS LAME.
If this type of event was held at Duke from 5-8 would the regular fan base show up? I'm facetiously asking this question because of the excuse given that fans were not there because you can't go after work. Do Duke fans work?... NO, I'M NOT COMPARING US TO DUKE! JUST POINTING OUT THAT THE EXCUSE BEING PEOPLE WORKED THAT DAY IS LAME.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Just out of curiosity, how did the "midnight madness" events go for all of the teams around the A-10? Did they fare much better?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If you win they will come - it’s that simple. Other than the people of this board, how many Rhody fans know that we blew out the entire roster that was not good. Who knows the name of any of the guys we brought in?

Win and people will know. Win and people will be excited next year to know who Archie is bringing in. No program has excitement when they lose for 3 years in a row. We are building back up again. Not totally from scratch this time but close because we have gone 5 years since the last tourney. Win.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ok, let's play that out.

how much winning are we talking about? Is one winning season enough? Is a 500 record good? How about a 20 win season like Baron used to have?

How about an A-10 season championship, but no NCAA bid because it's not the A-10 Tourney championship? How about a NCAA appearance?

What is the threshold of "winning" that it takes to bring the kind of fans you are talking about?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

People bring up Duke. Duke has an insane amount of NCAA Championships. People expect them to be great. Many only go to that school to be part of the fan base.

Compare that to, a team that was predicted by some pundits to be dead last #15 in the "A-10" this year.

I mean, if we had the kind of winning that VCU has, predicted to win the "A-10" would we get a packed house for midnight madness?

Has VCU squandered their winning? When they reached the apex of the A-10, and did it many years in a row, should they have bolted for a better conference? How does being the "big fish" of the A-10 compare to being the bottom dweller of the ACC?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Remember midnight madness when Harrick was here and I believe it was broadcast on ESPN? Just win baby!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago #1 rule of marketing...if you try to appeal to everyone you will appeal to no one.

Should do it like has been in the past.

1. Season ticket holder event - on the court area to mingle with staff and players, food, beer, etc. Were the coaches and players even available in the reception area like it was advertised? I only saw Archie for a few minutes, nobody else.

2. Midnight Madness with musical act only for students on a separate night all together
100%
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RIFan wrote: 6 months ago Remember midnight madness when Harrick was here and I believe it was broadcast on ESPN? Just win baby!
Yeah. I do remember that.

That would have been about the amt of hype these days, if we hired Pitino after Hurley left.... instead of Cox.

In fact, more than Hurley--->Pitino, because not only were we coming off an NCAA appearance, but we had one of the greatest returning backcourts in the nation greeting Harrick at the door.
0 x