Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 6 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago

Doesn’t sound like a good deal for either side. Plus Gonzaga’s arena only holds 6k.
But with B12 teams coming in think of what they could charge per ticket to fill those 6K seats.
The $70 million per team comes from media money. Seat money pales compared to media.
Something tells me they wouldn't get the full $70 million share since they wouldn't be a football member.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Big time football doesn’t like to share
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 6 months ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 6 months ago

But with B12 teams coming in think of what they could charge per ticket to fill those 6K seats.
The $70 million per team comes from media money. Seat money pales compared to media.
Something tells me they wouldn't get the full $70 million share since they wouldn't be a football member.
They definitely would not get the full share
Much, much smaller but far greater than remaining in the WCC provides

Plus would likely be a negotiated amount.

Look at what SMU got for going P5. Sacrificed a lot to get to P5.

Interesting in Gonzaga would be the 1st P5 Without a FBS Football Program. Could open doors for other non P5 schools without FBS Football programs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ramster, I wonder if the B12 will look to add another basketball program to peer with Zaga if the Zags make the leap to the B12 ?

Maybe San Diego, or St. Mary’s to sure up California and the west coast or perhaps look East to a Nova, St. John’s or Georgetown (if the money works for the NBE schools to make it worth moving) ?

UConn could be a possibility however, I don’t believe UConn would make the jump without a football invite unless the money was significantly more than the NBE annual payout.

Interestingly, I read on the UConn Realignment Board that the ACC is vetting Memphis, USF, Tulane, ECU. I don’t know if that is true or a rumor. That said, if true, I wonder if the ACC is expecting defections in the near future ?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Some good points about how this realignment effects the athletes with the amount of traveling.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sorry Aztecs you are a mid major just like Unlv and Utah St
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Looks like the Big East may soon be starting to see what life outside the real power conferences is like. The addition of PAC-12 teams may lead to the Big Ten increasing its league schedule thus reducing OOC games. The Gavitt Games Challenge might be a casualty of this.

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

This is one of the problems with having so many teams in one conference - like the B10, SEC, B12, ACC: It just doesn’t make sense to have so many teams in a conference if they all don’t play each other at least once, if not twice.

Why play teams in other conferences when you are limiting opportunities to play teams in your own conference and therefore, passing on chances to build rivalries, branding, etc. in your own conference.

Conferences are becoming too big and geographically widespread.

Personally, with basketball I would rather see smaller regional conferences with natural rivalries, full round robin conf schedules and limited travel. Then, have compelling conference challenges that change every 3 years or so to change things up.

Power Football can do whatever the heck it wants; I don’t care.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Update on the Big Ten-Big East series minimally not happening in 2024-25 and very likely not in the future after that either.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Some realignment news concerning two New England schools. Catholic schools Merrimack and Sacred Heart will join the MAAC which is predominately made up of Catholic members (Canisius/Fairfield/Niagara/Iona/Manhattan/St Peter's, Siena,Mt St Mary). Only Rider, Quinnipiac, and Marist of the MAAc are not Catholic though Marist has an association having been founded as such.

Not certain how this affects the football programs of Merrimack and Sacred Heart. Unlike the NEC, the MAAC does not sponsor the sport.

Last edited by RF1 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago Some realignment news concerning two New England schools. Catholic schools Merrimack and Sacred Heart will join the MAAC which is predominately made up of Catholic members (Canisius/Fairfield/Niagara/Iona/Manhattan/St Peter's, Siena,Mt St Mary). Only Rider, Quinnipiac, and Marist of the MAAc are not Catholic though Marist has an association having been founded as such.

Interesting. It seems like everyone’s trying to leave the NEC.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

This may escalate the need for the Big East to add a twelfth team. Probably either Dayton or St Louis.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 6 months ago This may escalate the need for the Big East to add a twelfth team. Probably either Dayton or St Louis.
I HIGHLY doubt the moves of Merrimack and Sacred Heart will have any bearing on what the Big East does.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 6 months ago This may escalate the need for the Big East to add a twelfth team. Probably either Dayton or St Louis.
I HIGHLY doubt the moves of Merrimack and Sacred Heart will have any bearing on what the Big East does.
I think he was referring to the earlier post with the BE and B10 challenge series being cancelled after this season.
The expansion of the P5 making it more difficult in scheduling quality OOC games.

Still not sure what the BE intends to do.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago
RF1 wrote: 6 months ago
I think he was referring to the prior post with the BE and B10 challenge series cancelled after this season.
The expansion of the P5 making it more difficult in scheduling quality OOC games.

Still not sure what the BE intends to do.
Got it. Since it did not reference a post, I may have made the wrong assumption. Your explanation would make more sense.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Looks like all the big schools want to hang together and all the Catholic schools want to hang together, as well (excluding ND, of course)

IF that is the case, then it gives some clarity where we could end up eventually when all the dust settles - with smaller public and private (non-Catholic) programs?

It will probably at least take 10 years to get there.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Ultimately, I think there's going to be some type of basketball alliance formed between the BE and ACC. I'm sure the BE knows they need to be proactive in maintaining the viability of a non-football league, and the ACC is in real trouble from a football standpoint. The ACC bought itself some time with its grant of rights deal, but that conference is essentially dead the minute FSU and Miami jump ship.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 6 months ago Ultimately, I think there's going to be some type of basketball alliance formed between the BE and ACC. I'm sure the BE knows they need to be proactive in maintaining the viability of a non-football league, and the ACC is in real trouble from a football standpoint. The ACC bought itself some time with its grant of rights deal, but that conference is essentially dead the minute FSU and Miami jump ship.
The ACC Grant of Rights Deal runs until 2036, that is a pretty big roadblock.
Not sure legally how they can get around it.

I can see the BE and the ACC exploring a challenge series going forward.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

PCFriars wrote: 6 months ago Ultimately, I think there's going to be some type of basketball alliance formed between the BE and ACC. I'm sure the BE knows they need to be proactive in maintaining the viability of a non-football league, and the ACC is in real trouble from a football standpoint. The ACC bought itself some time with its grant of rights deal, but that conference is essentially dead the minute FSU and Miami jump ship.

I agree with you, but legal people have supposedly been working on this and trying to find loopholes for awhile. Where there's a will there's always a way. They will probably come to some type of agreement at some point.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I want whoever negotiated that grant of rights deal to represent me. For everything.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago Update on the Big Ten-Big East series minimally not happening in 2024-25 and very likely not in the future after that either.

From Adam Zagoria X

Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman tells me the Gavitt Games is officially done after this season and calls it a ‘realignment casualty’
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Army joining the AAC is not good for independents UConn and UMass. League membership means less OOC games for Army. They, as an independent, were recently playing the fairly close by UConn and UMass nearly every season. That will likely be no more given a large portion of their schedule will be reserved for league games.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago Army joining the AAC is not good for independents UConn and UMass. League membership means less OOC games for Army. They, as an independent, were recently playing the fairly close by UConn and UMass nearly every season. That will likely be no more given a large portion of their schedule will be reserved for league games.
Well maybe someday UConn will be invited to a P5 conference.

UMass might end up deciding to join the MAC as a full-time member, but that depends on how much priority they put on football, and it means a drop down from the A10 in basketball.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago Army joining the AAC is not good for independents UConn and UMass. League membership means less OOC games for Army. They, as an independent, were recently playing the fairly close by UConn and UMass nearly every season. That will likely be no more given a large portion of their schedule will be reserved for league games.

UMass might end up deciding to join the MAC as a full-time member, but that depends on how much priority they put on football, and it means a drop down from the A10 in basketball.
At this rate the MAC won't be a drop down from the A10.

(Kidding, hopefully)
2 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Think the only way Uconn gets a p5 invite for football is if the acc blows up. If that happens who knows what will happen.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I could see UMass giving the MAC a shot. Makes sense. College football drives the bus.

After all, who can say for sure that the A10 will even be around in 10 years.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well that's not ideal!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

UMass should have left for the MAC about 10 years ago when they had the chance. When they didn't do that they should have dropped football back down to the CAA.

Hopefully if/when they leave the A10 because of football we can still play yearly in basketball
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 6 months ago
FUUUUCCCKKKK

Wonder what worthless, jackoff school we'll add to replace them that will make the conference even worse than just losing one of our top programs would make us
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Imagine if we had been proactive and gone after Wichita State/cut programs that brought nothing to the table. But hey, at least everyone likes our commish.
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Strange that only Memphis pages are reporting that. Doesn’t make sense for VCU to leave a conference they fit perfectly in for a conference that’s the same level.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago Imagine if we had been proactive and gone after Wichita State/cut programs that brought nothing to the table. But hey, at least everyone likes our commish.

Not everyone.
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago Strange that only Memphis pages are reporting that. Doesn’t make sense for VCU to leave a conference they fit perfectly in for a conference that’s the same level.
Had a feeling

1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Gonna be a done deal
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

As I said before, VCU, URI, Dayton and SLU should get together and look at adding 4 or 5 schools for a new conference. Get with media and get a sense on contract possibilities. This conference is being run into the ground.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It may be too late for that, blueram.

But, if I was an A10 decision maker, I’d be on the phone to Rhody, Dayton, SLU, GW, UMass, Richmond or GMU, SJU, Bona, Loyola, Davidson and getting their thoughts on breaking off with the thought of adding one or two well thought out additions for 11-12 teams. With change comes opportunity.

Hopefully, this will blow over and VCU stays for a few more years and the scare wakes up the A10 decision-makers to look at alternative with VCU included.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago As I said before, VCU, URI, Dayton and SLU should get together and look at adding 4 or 5 schools for a new conference. Get with media and get a sense on contract possibilities. This conference is being run into the ground.
Absolutely. Nobody is going to throw us a life raft, it is up to us make our own boat. Nobody is going to feel bad if we get left behind so we can't feel bad leaving anyone else behind
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago Strange that only Memphis pages are reporting that. Doesn’t make sense for VCU to leave a conference they fit perfectly in for a conference that’s the same level.
Had a feeling

That makes a lot more sense. AAC seemed like an odd move.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What would be people's perception of the A10 if VCU, Dayton and SLU left????
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

An after thought. Irrelevant - except for the one team that obtains the the A10 NCAAT auto bid each season.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago What would be people's perception of the A10 if VCU, Dayton and SLU left????
OVC is the closest comp if that happens...maybe SOCON?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't necessarily believe the VCU to AAC rumor. Football drives the AAC and the Rams have no team for that sport. The membership of the AAC is very tenuous and seems to always be in a state of flux. Lost UConn a few years ago and is set to lose Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF this year. Memphis has been desperately looking to get out and would do so at the first chance. The league is also even more spread out than the A-10 thus requiring a lot of expensive travel for the non revenue olympic sports. I would think given VCU was already victimized by an unstable conference (Metro) and basically left without a home in 1995 (much as Dayton was at the same time), it would have reservations about such a conference. The same could be said for Dayton as well. It got left behind when the Great Midwest Conference disbanded with many of its teams joining former Metro Conference members to form CUSA.

I think that A-10 members such as Dayton, VCU, and St Louis would only leave the A-10 for one destination - the Big East.
Last edited by RF1 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

when it comes to the a10 conference i am left with only 2 words...

CUT
BAIT
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Odom head coach at VCU in his contract
“If VCU’s men’s basketball program enters another athletic conference that results in VCU receiving an increase of overall funds from the new athletic conference (“Increased Funding”), VCU will conduct a good faith review of the budget commitment for the men’s basketball program including the Coach’s compensation and term of employment under this Agreement and shall consider appropriate adjustments including an extension of such Term during the fiscal year in which VCU receives Increased Funding.”
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

rjv wrote: 6 months ago Odom head coach at VCU in his contract
“If VCU’s men’s basketball program enters another athletic conference that results in VCU receiving an increase of overall funds from the new athletic conference (“Increased Funding”), VCU will conduct a good faith review of the budget commitment for the men’s basketball program including the Coach’s compensation and term of employment under this Agreement and shall consider appropriate adjustments including an extension of such Term during the fiscal year in which VCU receives Increased Funding.”
So VCU gets invited to another conference with a bump in revenue due to the success of Shaka/Wade/Rhodes and Odom gets to personally benefit from it....must be nice
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago What would be people's perception of the A10 if VCU, Dayton and SLU left????
What's people's perception of America East?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The A10 has 5 schools that have like 2K attendance or less. They need to go.
0 x