Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago
theblueram wrote: 7 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago

Yep that would justify Archie's over $2M salary and am sure that scenario is what he was looking for in coming to Rhody.
Better than your idea of adding Siena. NET 206 last year. Hmmmm, that will help the conference.
Seriously. Fucking Siena now? We'd be better off in the America East with the shit teams people want to add
I'm of the camp that reducing the size of conference is the better move.
But since that doesn't seem in the cards, and there are members that could bolt, I only throw them out as an example.
It isn't like there is a pick of the litter of top programs to bring in. They have a lot of factors that make their ceiling compelling if they elevated to a better league than the MAAC. Look at their coaching history, look at the talent that comes from upstate and look at the 6K+ they draw every night.
I'd rather have them in our league now than 3-4 programs that we do have. Guarantee their ceiling is higher than Duquesne, Lasalle, Fordham etc.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Steve81 wrote: 7 months ago
Steve81 wrote: 7 months ago

Yes, the finances will push us to the MAC and once you do not have multiple teams in the top 40-50, it's a 1 bid conference. Then you have VCU and St.Louis looking at the AAC as a pairing with Army.
VCU forum.
https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/thr ... 1/page-241

So, yes the Michigan schools suck big time, but the top half has good basketball and will post the top half in each, 6 for the MAC and 8 for the A10.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings
MAC
68 Kent State
82 Toledo
105 Akron
133 Ohio
156 Ball State
194 Buffalo

A10
54 VCU
77 Dayton
97 St. Louis
132 Fordham
137 Duquesne
139 George Mason
145 Davidson
160 Richmond

The A10 is better but still good basketball. However the A10 can be raided whether it's the American or/and the Big East.
Looking back now, do you think it was a mistake for UMass to not accept the full-time invitation from the MAC?
Rather than be forced out and go independent, while staying with the A10 in basketball.
Understand why we stayed in the A10. As long as it was earning 4 bids or more. In fact that year, 2014 the A10 got 6 bids with us taking that last bid. Think it's a mistake now, but do like the idea of waiting on an East Coast partner, maintaining east coast exposure and history. I've advocated for UMass to see if UConn would pair with us all sports and them FB in MAC and call URI and see if they could get ready when UConn eventually leaves, wait list so to speak. Delaware is worthy and on the east cost, 40 miles outside of Philly.
I think UMass and the MAC reached that agreement for them to depart after the 2015 football season.
So that would have been well after UMass's 2014 NCAAT bid.

If UMass does leave the A10 and looking at the OOC schedule of both teams, I would definitely be in favor of seeing a regular series with them.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 7 months ago

Better than your idea of adding Siena. NET 206 last year. Hmmmm, that will help the conference.
Seriously. Fucking Siena now? We'd be better off in the America East with the shit teams people want to add
But since that doesn't seem in the cards, and there are members that could bolt, I only throw them out as an example.
It isn't like there is a pick of the litter of top programs to bring in. They have a lot of factors that make their ceiling compelling if they elevated to a better league than the MAAC. Look at their coaching history, look at the talent that comes from upstate and look at the 6K+ they draw every night.
I'd rather have them in our league now than 3-4 programs that we do have. Guarantee their ceiling is higher than Duquesne, Lasalle, Fordham etc.
Well that's a different argument and I agree with most of it.

1. We absolutely should get leaner.
2. Siena would be better than members we already have.

To me 1 outweighs everything. As long as conference leadership is banging the drum for expansion I'll be banging the drum for replacing conference leadership. We can see there are no good programs to bring in, just less bad options that are better than some of the programs we should get rid of. Why can't they see it?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Jersey77, when we leave, a very long basketball series with Rhody will be good for all.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

To me 1 outweighs everything. As long as conference leadership is banging the drum for expansion I'll be banging the drum for replacing conference leadership. We can see there are no good programs to bring in, just less bad options that are better than some of the programs we should get rid of. Why can't they see it?
I don't think there is anyway the A10 members will vote out any team currently in the conference.
So I pretty much dismissed that idea.

Also, how do you know that it is just the conference administration leadership looking for expansion?
Most of those pivotal decisions will come from the presidents council.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I don't think there is anyway the A10 members will vote out any team currently in the conference.

Also, how do you know that it is just the conference administration leadership looking for expansion?
Do you think Goodell is a good Commissioner, too? Simply because he's a puppet of the owners and the owners make all the decisions?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 7 months ago

Do you think Goodell is a good Commissioner, too? Simply because he's a puppet of the owners and the owners make all the decisions?
I did not make a judgement call on whether our commissioner is good or bad, left that up to the members.
If you paid attention; all I said is that expansion and who ultimately gets invited or kicked out is determined by the president's council.

Are you really trying to compare the commissioner of the A10 to that of the NFL, be serious?
0 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago Steve81 is on the UMass, A-10, VCU, and various other forums openly advocating for UMass to leave the A-10 and join the MAC. He has been doing so on some of them for years, well before the decline the A-10 is presently facing. He states that the move to the MAC is a certain eventuality. It seems however that many UMass fans and their school administration do not necessarily share his view. He is also very much a football over basketball UMass fan based on all the posts of his I have read over the years. Rhody fans should keep in mind that he is but ONE fan that has a very obvious agenda. His opinions should not be taken as representing all UMass fans or the school's administration.
For 15 years, but it was Xavier fans mentioning the MAC. I was hoping the A10 would bring back football as FBS.
August 24, 2008 thread.
A10 Football: Coming to a Stadium Near You

Not the majority but a growing number of UMass fans know the day is coming next year.

RF1 has been against UMass football for 15 years, he is my polar opposite. Sept 1, 2008
I am quite aware of UMass football.

I just don't see where UMass goes FBS. If your program is not in a BCS league it is not worth the cost. I don't see any FBS league looking to add a new to FBS program to their conference.

While McGuirk got new lights and turf, that is peanuts compared to what it would cost to build or upgrade a stadium to FBS standards. UMass doesn't have that kind of money and the state of MA certainly doesn't. I see no grounswell of support across the state to upgrade football. Furthermore, I really question whether UMass and the locals in Western MA could support a FBS football program. While your attendance is good for FCS, you would need many more people attending games to reach FBS standards. I just don't thin many more than what you are currently getting are going to come out to the see the dregs of FBS play UMass. Look at your basketball attendance. You have a huge enrollment and big arena and had a good team this past year but couldn't draw.

Face it - for the most part, college football is not that popular in New England. Even BC, located in the major metroplitan area and which seems to go to a bowl every season, gets little attention.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I did not make a judgement call on whether our commissioner is good or bad, left that up to the members.
If you paid attention; all I said is that expansion and who ultimately gets invited or kicked out is determined by the president's council.

Are you really trying to compare the commissioner of the A10 to that of the NFL, be serious?
Sure, this time was specifically about expansion, but you've defended her like the A10's white knight across may different topics here - I just chose to jump in now.

And yes, I was making an extreme example but I'm looking for some consistency from you in your stance. Whether it's the NFL or the A10, when it comes to running a league, what do you think are the responsibilities of the Commissioner? What does the Commissioner actually have authority, and therefore responsibility and accountability, over with respect to their league?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sure, this time was specifically about expansion, but you've defended her like the A10's white knight across may different topics here - I just chose to jump in now.

And yes, I was making an extreme example but I'm looking for some consistency from you in your stance. Whether it's the NFL or the A10, when it comes to running a league, what do you think are the responsibilities of the Commissioner? What does the Commissioner actually have authority, and therefore responsibility and accountability, over with respect to their league?
Sure you might as well just pile on and keep rehashing the same thing.
And yes your opinion may be that the administrator's office is responsible for the teams wins/losses and having disappointing seasons. Why put the blame on the individual programs who actually play the games, just blame the commissioner, whoever that may be.

Look the A10 is an organization that needs someone in charge to run the administrative duties.
The commissioner sits on several committees and is the voice of the members.
That person probably also negotiates the media contracts and brings the recommendations to the council for approval.
In addition, I am sure there is plenty of discussion regarding membership and the commissioner is then asked to go out on a search mission for possible good fits. Then of course it gets voted on.

I am also sure there are plenty of other inner workings that go on behind the scenes that none of us are aware of.

Again as I keep saying, I am in no position or willing to give her a report card whether good or bad. 
Last edited by Jersey77 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

And yes your opinion may be that the administrator's office is responsible for the teams wins/losses and having disappointing seasons. Why put the blame on the individual programs who actually play the games, just blame the commissioner, whoever that may be.

Look the A10 is an organization that needs someone in charge to run the administrative duties.
That person probably also negotiates the media contracts and brings the recommendations to the council for approval.
In addition, I am sure there is plenty of discussion regarding membership and the commissioner is then asked to go out on a search mission for possible good fits. Then of course it gets voted on.

Again as I keep saying, I am in no position or willing to give her a report card whether good or bad. 
Me either. She should still step aside.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Correct. My opinions of UMass football are long held and have indeed not changed. They are based on my having been a MA resident for the last 30 years along with having had a close family member work in the UMass athletic dept for several years during this time.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I am also sure there are plenty of other inner workings that go on behind the scenes that none of us are aware of.

Not sure I'd call it "piling on" as I've largely held my tongue on this. As a voice of the members, how has she advocated for the conference to help out the members? I haven't seen any statements from her on the big changes in the sport over the last couple years. Has she taken a stance on something like NIL?

On expansion, are you suggesting it's the member schools who are asking her to find new members? I find it suspect that schools at the top with the most resources and options to move up in conference, and by extension more power, would ask her to find more of the same as what is already in conference. Adding Loyola and possibly CoC can't be what the power brokers of the A10 really want - couldn't she come back and suggest that expansion at this time with the available targets isn't a positive thing for the league?

I just find her to be too passive and in an environment where the wealth gap is growing between the haves and have nots, I think bold moves need to be made. Staying the course just won't cut it in this rapidly changing landscape. Blue Man made some really good suggestions that Bernadette can control - the pod scheduling and I think seeding the A10 tournament by NET rather than W/L record is also something that needs to be done to make sure the truly best team(s) in the conference get(s) a bid and get the best seeding possible in the NCAAs.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not sure I'd call it "piling on" as I've largely held my tongue on this. As a voice of the members, how has she advocated for the conference to help out the members? I haven't seen any statements from her on the big changes in the sport over the last couple years. Has she taken a stance on something like NIL?

On expansion, are you suggesting it's the member schools who are asking her to find new members? I find it suspect that schools at the top with the most resources and options to move up in conference, and by extension more power, would ask her to find more of the same as what is already in conference. Adding Loyola and possibly CoC can't be what the power brokers of the A10 really want - couldn't she come back and suggest that expansion at this time with the available targets isn't a positive thing for the league?

I just find her to be too passive and in an environment where the wealth gap is growing between the haves and have nots, I think bold moves need to be made. Staying the course just won't cut it in this rapidly changing landscape. Blue Man made some really good suggestions that Bernadette can control - the pod scheduling and I think seeding the A10 tournament by NET rather than W/L record is also something that needs to be done to make sure the truly best team(s) in the conference get(s) a bid and get the best seeding possible in the NCAAs.
I am not about to keep going back and forth on this, because my only real current concern is Rhody.
Besides neither you, me, or anyone else on this board knows exactly what goes on and is being discussed at the A10 meetings.

As far as Loyola/Chicago goes their application was easily accepted and approved by the A10.
https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/11/16/ ... ution.aspx

"Welcoming Loyola University Chicago was not a difficult decision for the Presidents Council, due to its similarity with our member institutions, including the value Loyola places on conducting successful athletics in harmony with a nationally recognized, broad-based educational profile," said Saint Joseph's University President Dr. Mark C. Reed, who serves as the chair of the A-10 Presidents Council. "On behalf of the leadership of the Atlantic 10, I welcome Dr. Rooney, Steve Watson and the entire Loyola family into our outstanding conference."
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

"we welcome these truly outstanding institutions and look forward to working with them as our new partners in the Atlantic Coast Conference." Said Florida State President...RIGHT AFTER VOTING NO to adding Cal and Stanford to the ACC. I wouldn't put much stock in a canned quote.

And yes, I admit to not havning the A10 offices and the commissioner's phone bugged so I don't know for certain what goes on there. Like you, I'm only concerned about my alma mater and the conference that my alma mater is unfortunately affiliated with.

I won't rehash old arguments beyond saying that I also find it strange how staunchly you defend Bernadette for someone who claims to not care one way or another. Wouldn't it have been easier to just say nothing if you truly don't care?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You only need 8 teams to be NCAAT eligible. Time for some Dave Gavitt type person in the A10 to see this bloated mid major conference is not the way to go. And form a new league. It's not like they would lose a ton of NCAAT credits lol.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 7 months ago "we welcome these truly outstanding institutions and look forward to working with them as our new partners in the Atlantic Coast Conference." Said Florida State President...RIGHT AFTER VOTING NO to adding Cal and Stanford to the ACC. I wouldn't put much stock in a canned quote.

And yes, I admit to not havning the A10 offices and the commissioner's phone bugged so I don't know for certain what goes on there. Like you, I'm only concerned about my alma mater and the conference that my alma mater is unfortunately affiliated with.

I won't rehash old arguments beyond saying that I also find it strange how staunchly you defend Bernadette for someone who claims to not care one way or another. Wouldn't it have been easier to just say nothing if you truly don't care?
I don't defend her in particular, just that the commissioner in general isn't responsible for the member team's performances.
Also, that many of the pivotal decisions are decided by the president's council.

Again, this all started because I was asked my opinion of her.
I answered that the members seemed satisfied because they kept extending her.
Also, when I was quoted or questioned (attacked), I felt justified to respond.

Enough already, time to move on.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A key question arising from realignment is - will it eventually change the A-10 membership and who departs, who comes on board. To help the discussion, the following is a summary of each school’s size and endowment. In the case of enrollment, I have listed separately the undergraduate and graduate enrollment figures: the combined number is a basic indicator of the size of school and its operating budget, but the undergraduate number is more relatable tor basketball game day experience and the traveling fan base. It is no surprise that the public schools dominate in size.

On endowments, I have listed the total size, but a more meaningful measurement is endowment per student. Richmond tops the A-10 in both aspects with Davidson a close second on the per student number. The smallest total endowment belongs to La Salle and George Mason is the smallest on the per student basis.

This summary is just an info starter because building a solid basketball program is more complicated than just these numbers. For example, Fordham is a bigger and richer school than St. Bonaventure, but the Bonnies have a stronger basketball tradition and program.

Atlantic 10

School	          Enrollment(U/G)    Endowment

Dayton	          8,322/3,025	     $770 million
Davidson	  1,983/0	     $1.3 billion
Duquesne	  6,074/3,270	     $472 million
Fordham	          9,904/7,082	     $972 million
George Mason	  26,515/11,437	     $189 million
GW        	  11,502/14,955	     $2.4 billion
La Salle	  3,904/1,287	      $80 million
Loyola Chicago	  12,240/4,919	     $1.1 billion
UMass	          24,321/7,814	     $494 million
Rhode Island	  14,654/3,407	     $203 million
Richmond	  3,202/712	     $3.1 billion
St. Bonaventure	  1,858/756	      $92 million
St. Joseph’s	  4,299/2,480	     $379 million
Saint Louis	  8,437/5,109	     $1.4 billion
VCU	          21,707/7,212	     $2.7 billion
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 7 months ago A key question arising from realignment is - will it eventually change the A-10 membership and who departs, who comes on board. To help the discussion, the following is a summary of each school’s size and endowment. In the case of enrollment, I have listed separately the undergraduate and graduate enrollment figures: the combined number is a basic indicator of the size of school and its operating budget, but the undergraduate number is more relatable tor basketball game day experience and the traveling fan base. It is no surprise that the public schools dominate in size.

On endowments, I have listed the total size, but a more meaningful measurement is endowment per student. Richmond tops the A-10 in both aspects with Davidson a close second on the per student number. The smallest total endowment belongs to La Salle and George Mason is the smallest on the per student basis.

This summary is just an info starter because building a solid basketball program is more complicated than just these numbers. For example, Fordham is a bigger and richer school than St. Bonaventure, but the Bonnies have a stronger basketball tradition and program.

Atlantic 10

This is pretty interesting. What I see is URI alum do not give back to the University at all. Not sure why. Is it bad marketing ( we all know the marketing sucks at URI), or is it something else? Duquesne has half the enrollment of URI, but more than double the endowment? Really odd how low our endowment is. Even St Joes has about twice our endowment but about 1/3 the enrollment. Who manages our endowment and what do they invest in?

edit: I would not be surprised if we pay a 10% annual commission to an agent to manage the endowment. Just the RI way.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Duquesne and St.Joe are private university can not compare to URI
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 7 months ago Duquesne and St.Joe are private university can not compare to URI
Why not? Private school grads give more than public school grads? Not buying it. VCU is a public school. Their endowment is $2.7 BILLION per OB.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rjv wrote: 7 months ago Duquesne and St.Joe are private university can not compare to URI
Why not? Private school grads give more than public school grads? Not buying it.
I would offer the private university students/alum have a deeper and lasting connection on many levels to their college experience. State schools, like URI, in general is more high school continuation to get a lesser cost degree. Like after graduation, many/some don’t give a crap about Rhody and just move on. No? No/little emotional connection to URI.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Both Davidson and St Bonaventure have undergrad enrollments under 2k but both somehow regularly as of late produce decent teams.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 7 months ago
Why not? Private school grads give more than public school grads? Not buying it.
I would offer the private university students/alum have a deeper and lasting connection on many levels to their college experience. State schools, like URI, in general is more high school continuation to get a lesser cost degree. Like after graduation, many/some don’t give a crap about Rhody and just move on. No? No/little emotional connection to URI.
And VCU? That's a public school. Maybe because they have a Med School?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe. Keeping it real local, ask 10 high school grads from, say LaSalle and like 10 from EP, I would
offer many more “ care” about the future of their private schools. Public education funding is mainly already baked into the future. Just my take.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 7 months ago Maybe. Keeping it real local, ask 10 high school grads from, say LaSalle and like 10 from EP, I would
offer many more “ care” about the future of their private schools. Public education funding is mainly already baked into the future. Just my take.
I just looked up the top public Universities based on endowment. It appears, that lack of a Medical School is a big detriment to endowment. it is interesting that 5 of the 17 Flagship Universities with under $1B in endowments are in New England.

Public schools

With a 2022 endowment of $42.668 billion as of 2022, the University of Texas System has the largest endowment of any public university system or college
For public universities, the larger endowments are often associated with flagship state universities, especially those associated with a medical school. Notably, 17 states do not have institutions included in this list: Alaska, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming. The New England states, however, are known for their wealthy private institutions.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Why not? Private school grads give more than public school grads? Not buying it. VCU is a public school. Their endowment is $2.7 BILLION per OB.
A few qualifying comments. VCU is a rather recent creation having been formed in 1968 through the merger of the Richmond Professional Institute and the Medical College of Virginia. It was the medical college, whose establishment preceded the Civil War, that possessed a large endowment at the time of the merger.

In a inspirational note, U Richmond in 1968 was in financial distress and consideration was given to closing the school when a prominent alumnus from the Robins family, whose wealth was created via pharmaceuticals, donated $50 million, one of the largest gifts ever given to a college at the time. The gift righted the school and today Richmond's endowment ranks in the top 50 in the country.

Also, the City of Richmond is headquarters of eight Fortune 500 companies and they generously give to both schools.

On a positive note, though URI has a smaller endowment, the annual increases over the last several years have exceeded the average growth of all endowments.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Obadiah wrote: 7 months ago A key question arising from realignment is - will it eventually change the A-10 membership and who departs, who comes on board. To help the discussion, the following is a summary of each school’s size and endowment. In the case of enrollment, I have listed separately the undergraduate and graduate enrollment figures: the combined number is a basic indicator of the size of school and its operating budget, but the undergraduate number is more relatable tor basketball game day experience and the traveling fan base. It is no surprise that the public schools dominate in size.

Atlantic 10

This is pretty interesting. What I see is URI alum do not give back to the University at all. Not sure why. Is it bad marketing ( we all know the marketing sucks at URI), or is it something else? Duquesne has half the enrollment of URI, but more than double the endowment? Really odd how low our endowment is. Even St Joes has about twice our endowment but about 1/3 the enrollment. Who manages our endowment and what do they invest in?

edit: I would not be surprised if we pay a 10% annual commission to an agent to manage the endowment. Just the RI way.

Absolutely not true. Not even hedge funds charge fees at that level. Most wealth management fees fall in the 1-2% range.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 7 months ago

Atlantic 10

Absolutely not true. Not even hedge funds charge fees at that level. Most wealth management fees fall in the 1-2% range.
Maybe so...I'm still guessing Rhody has figured out a way to pay more than average
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Possible that the Mountain West absorbs the 2 PAC12 Programs.
Could also be a Conference that entails promotion/relegation with the PAC12 being the higher of the 2 leagues (2 divisions of 8 teams)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA1h15pp
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pac-12 And Mountain West May Use Conference Format College Football Has Never Seen
The two conferences out west are getting creative for their future

However, in order to push the needle and gain more traction as the top non-power conference the two conferences have reportedly considered using a conference method that utilizes promotion and relegation. According to a report by Yahoo's Ross Dellenger, the two conferences are considering a European-style conference which will essentially have the Pac-12 as the higher conference and the Mountain West as the lower. So, every couple of years two teams will be dropped from the Pac-12 into the Mountain West, and two teams from the Mountain West will move up to the Pac-12.

Dellenger explained that there are a lot of challenges and hoops to jump through that could prevent this from happening and that we are nowhere near completion, but this would be a fascinating thing to see. Not to mention, expansion would be in order so both conferences have eight teams. Something Dellenger addressed, citing both South Dakota State and North Dakota State as the top candidates. He did say that they or whoever else joins would have to start in the lower division, but how the other teams are determined is also up for discussion.

The conference has also flirted with unique schedules that will pit promoted teams against one another, demoted teams against one another, and in-season scheduling based on standings. The motive behind all of these unheard-of ideas is to generate interest for media rights deals, and to be at the forefront of college football which may be heading to a system like this as a whole down the road.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... never-seen
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As Pac-12 looks to rebuild, there’s one nagging question for Fresno State, Mountain West
Robert Kuwada
Sun, Sep 24, 2023, 1:19 PM EDT

Some Commissioners out West are really busy these days and getting very innovative. Schools as well.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/pac-12-lo ... p_catchall
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

A few qualifying comments. VCU is a rather recent creation having been formed in 1968 through the merger of the Richmond Professional Institute and the Medical College of Virginia. It was the medical college, whose establishment preceded the Civil War, that possessed a large endowment at the time of the merger.

In a inspirational note, U Richmond in 1968 was in financial distress and consideration was given to closing the school when a prominent alumnus from the Robins family, whose wealth was created via pharmaceuticals, donated $50 million, one of the largest gifts ever given to a college at the time. The gift righted the school and today Richmond's endowment ranks in the top 50 in the country.

Also, the City of Richmond is headquarters of eight Fortune 500 companies and they generously give to both schools.

On a positive note, though URI has a smaller endowment, the annual increases over the last several years have exceeded the average growth of all endowments.
Good deeper dive on the subject. Much appreciated, Ob.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago Pac-12 And Mountain West May Use Conference Format College Football Has Never Seen
The two conferences out west are getting creative for their future[/i

However, in order to push the needle and gain more traction as the top non-power conference the two conferences have reportedly considered using a conference method that utilizes promotion and relegation. According to a report by Yahoo's Ross Dellenger, the two conferences are considering a European-style conference which will essentially have the Pac-12 as the higher conference and the Mountain West as the lower. So, every couple of years two teams will be dropped from the Pac-12 into the Mountain West, and two teams from the Mountain West will move up to the Pac-12.

Dellenger explained that there are a lot of challenges and hoops to jump through that could prevent this from happening and that we are nowhere near completion, but this would be a fascinating thing to see. Not to mention, expansion would be in order so both conferences have eight teams. Something Dellenger addressed, citing both South Dakota State and North Dakota State as the top candidates. He did say that they or whoever else joins would have to start in the lower division, but how the other teams are determined is also up for discussion.

The conference has also flirted with unique schedules that will pit promoted teams against one another, demoted teams against one another, and in-season scheduling based on standings. The motive behind all of these unheard-of ideas is to generate interest for media rights deals, and to be at the forefront of college football which may be heading to a system like this as a whole down the road.

I really like the out of the box thinking. Hope they try it to see how it works out. Maybe the approach will open a basketball door for us down the road. Maybe a few basketball focused conferences will consider doing the same if it can work.

Adapt and overcome. 👍🏼
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago
ramster wrote: 7 months ago Pac-12 And Mountain West May Use Conference Format College Football Has Never Seen
The two conferences out west are getting creative for their future[/i

I really like the out of the box thinking. Hope they try it to see how it works out. Maybe the approach will open a basketball door for us down the road. Maybe a few basketball focused conferences will consider doing the same if it can work.

Adapt and overcome. 👍🏼

They need to apply it to MLB...make the teams that suck the worst compete in the minors the next year
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago As Pac-12 looks to rebuild, there’s one nagging question for Fresno State, Mountain West
Robert Kuwada
Sun, Sep 24, 2023, 1:19 PM EDT

Some Commissioners out West are really busy these days and getting very innovative. Schools as well.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/pac-12-lo ... p_catchall
I love the idea - here is the problem…they are dealing with flash in the pan programs that will catch fire every one in awhile and be good. By the time they are promoted they may suck again. Based on last season Fordham would be promoted in the A10, Fordham likely will suck again.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

West Coast Conference announces joint basketball media day with Mountain West Conference in Las Vegas
Joint media day takes place Oct. 11-12 at Resorts World

Speculation around expansion and realignment has made its way to the WCC and MWC ever since the Pac-12 conference's demise over the summer. MWC commissioner Gloria Nevarez, who was WCC commissioner from March 2018 to November 2022, has met with officials from both Washington State and Oregon State in recent weeks to discuss the idea of adding both schools to the MWC. The two schools have stated their intentions to rebuild the Power 5 conference by going after MWC schools, though Nevarez hasn't backed down from the opportunity to strengthen her conference.
Nevarez also hasn't ruled out the idea of merging the Pac-12 and MWC.

Mountain West Commissioner and former WCC Commissioner has been very busy.

https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/bask ... -las-vegas
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 7 months ago

Maybe so...I'm still guessing Rhody has figured out a way to pay more than average
There should be no doubt. URI is a public institution committed to full transparency through reporting such as its annual report which in the last fiscal year showed an administrative fees at 1.45%

What is more troubling is the negativity of your comment. You essentially imply that the foundation guided by an investment committee and a chairperson shops, for example, a $50 million portfolio to wealth management firms and negotiates a higher than average fee - someone mentioned 10% - than other similarly sized entities. Since some of the URIF advisors include people like Tom Ryan and Mike Fascitelli, very successfully people in their own careers, but suddenly they become patsies. Really ??!!
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 7 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 7 months ago [/b]
There should be no doubt. URI is a public institution committed to full transparency through reporting such as its annual report which in the last fiscal year showed an administrative fees at 1.45%

What is more troubling is the negativity of your comment. You essentially imply that the foundation guided by an investment committee and a chairperson shops, for example, a $50 million portfolio to wealth management firms and negotiates a higher than average fee - someone mentioned 10% - than other similarly sized entities. Since some of the URIF advisors include people like Tom Ryan and Mike Fascitelli, very successfully people in their own careers, but suddenly they become patsies. Really ??!!
Lighten up, Francis. Poll a hundred people and ask if they think we probably pay more or less ...I'm guessing most would say more.... this is not some Great Great Blasphemy (nor a big deal) requiring a defensive editorial, but go ahead...
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I'm not interested in any kind of opinion poll, my interest is in positive thinking and the facts and providing that relevant info quickly which frees others from having to search for it. The fee was 1.45% in 2022 and this is not, as you claim, an above average rate and certainly not 10%.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 7 months ago I'm not interested in any kind of opinion poll, my interest is in positive thinking and the facts and providing that relevant info quickly which frees others from having to search for it. The fee was 1.45% in 2022 and this is not, as you claim, an above average rate and certainly not 10%.
OB, my 10% was sarcastic. (not really given this state). Didn't a governor try to take money from the URI endowment for some bs at one point?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

In a state that just announced they approved the green light for Narragansett Electric to raise their electricity rates by 24% starting Oct 1, nothing surprises me anymore.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Narragansett Electric typical radio commercial: "Here's some ways you can help lower your electricity bill" Yeah? I know a great way... try using lube next time. Talk about taking advantage.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 7 months ago In a state that just announced they approved the green light for Narragansett Electric to raise their electricity rates by 24% starting Oct 1, nothing surprises me anymore.
Well, EV's are gonna make some politicians some money it seems. Since Electric rates are governed by politicians, it only makes sense they push everyone to use electric cars. Makes one wonder what is going on doesn't it?
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Val Ackerman when asked about expansion last night;
https://247sports.com/college/depaul/ar ... 217412153/

"Right now, our presidents are happy with 11 (schools). They were happy with 10 but UConn was a different story. There was so much history there and the geography was good and the basketball was great so that was a move they wanted to make at that time."

"And so now we don't have our eyes really set on any other schools. We've had inquiries but our schools want to stand pat. One reason, it's not as important as some of the financial drivers, but we really like the double round robin in basketball. Even if we went to 12 (schools) at any point we would probably still do that and have a 22-game conference schedule. Right now it's a 20-game conference schedule and it allows for some non-conference challenges and the like."
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big 12 Talks with Gonzaga heating up

https://themessenger.com/sports/big-12- ... basketball
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Big 12 Talks with Gonzaga heating up

Doesn’t sound like a good deal for either side. Plus Gonzaga’s arena only holds 6k.
0 x
GO RAMS
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago

Doesn’t sound like a good deal for either side. Plus Gonzaga’s arena only holds 6k.
But with B12 teams coming in think of what they could charge per ticket to fill those 6K seats.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 6 months ago

But with B12 teams coming in think of what they could charge per ticket to fill those 6K seats.
The $70 million per team comes from media money. Seat money pales compared to media.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 6 months ago

The $70 million per team comes from media money. Seat money pales compared to media.
Absolutely correct! I was just saying whether inconsequential or not to the bottom line, the cost of their individual and season tickets would go up by playing in a better league on top of like you said, the increase media payments.
0 x