2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 7 months ago
ramster wrote: 7 months ago
KingstonLane wrote: 7 months ago

Because he likely won’t get a waiver and can’t play this year
I thought the same but was curious from Stevey.
And if that's the case, what from last night did Archie say about the possibilities of Green getting a waiver for this year? Seems like a lot of positives from the HC to say about a player IF the HC did not believe Green would be playing this season. Why say so much if chances were nil (pardon the pun).
Yes I’m worried that he won’t get a waiver. This team needs all the help it can get and it sounds like Green is standing out in practice. I think the staff is waiting and they truly don’t know if Green is playing.

Jersey, regarding Fuchs I think Archie is talking about his role more than anything. It’s clear that he’s going to be a focal point and will play a lot of minutes and have a lot of opportunities. We should remember that Archie Miller is an exceptional coach. Both Woodward and KJ are high-major assistants, and I think Archie is a high-major coach. Thus, this staff has the potential to scout, recruit, and secure a legitimate A10 freshman Player of the Year candidate. Some seem surprised by the possibility of having such a stud freshman. I expect Fuchs to be one of the better freshman in the A10 and on the All A10 team freshman team if he stays healthy. As Archie said in the article IF everything goes well he COULD be freshman of the year. I don’t think he thinks he’s a one and done player.
Just to add that Austin Carroll served as the lead recruiter for David Fuchs. It wasn't Woodward or KJ.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Basketball season is around the corner and the hyping has begun to sell tickets.

Most College basketball players improve each year at URI and on every other team because they are older, stronger and more experienced.

URI has good coaches but saying that they are high major quality coaches is laughable because that is where they would be earning a boatload of more money.

I don't see a single player on this team who wouldn't jump for an offer from a high major because they have no tie to RI and URI, and they are pursuing a basketball career.

My prediction is that URI will have a better record this season because of a weaker OOC schedule and a weaker A10 conference, the team will have better chemistry but less talent.

But, I enjoy watching competitive basketball on any level.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

:P
Rhody72 wrote: 7 months ago Basketball season is around the corner and the hyping has begun to sell tickets.

Most College basketball players improve each year at URI and on every other team because they are older, stronger and more experienced.

URI has good coaches but saying that they are high major quality coaches is laughable because that is where they would be earning a boatload of more money.

I don't see a single player on this team who wouldn't jump for an offer from a high major because they have no tie to RI and URI, and they are pursuing a basketball career.

My prediction is that URI will have a better record this season because of a weaker OOC schedule and a weaker A10 conference, the team will have better chemistry but less talent.

“Less talent.” That’s a keeper.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Another quality shitpost by R72 with a comment that reads like a 1st grader completing a MadLibs page
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 7 months ago Basketball season is around the corner and the hyping has begun to sell tickets.

Please justify how you think the team will have less talent.

Would love to hear it.
4 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lol
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Can you elaborate on how we have less talent? Or can you give us a breakdown of your starting 5 and why it's less talented than last year's starting 5?
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 got Rhody15 and steveystuds to agree with each other. That's fucking impressive
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago Rhody72 got Rhody15 and steveystuds to agree with each other. That's fucking impressive
Plus new Football Scoreboard being installed all on the same day 😊

Stopping to buy a couple lottery tickets
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 7 months ago

Can you elaborate on how we have less talent? Or can you give us a breakdown of your starting 5 and why it's less talented than last year's starting 5?
Yes couldn’t agree more , way more talent on this years roster
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

72 are making their disdain for the program too obvious. They need a new posting strategy. Can’t wait to read what they come up with to counteract their last post.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago 72 are making their disdain for the program too obvious. They need a new posting strategy. Can’t wait to read what they come up with to counteract their last post.
I don’t know if it’s disdain as much as they have absolutely zero idea about all things basketball.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Less talent than last year?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Currently with Bilau still recovering, Green still no waiver yest, and Dubs barely mentioned, we have a pretty good idea of where the minutes will go.

This team does have nice size, with good depth and balance all around.
My biggest concern is still the team jelling on the court because they are all new pieces and haven't played together in actual games, much different than just practice among themselves.
Also, I think for many of the players the A10 will be a step up in competition.
Foul shooting from our guards (Kortright and House) and overall outside threats from our starters (except for Zek) may still be a question.

We do have a much more talented roster than last season and the team is much stronger.
I expect us to be very competitive in just about every game, yeah we won't be perfect and there will be lapses.
Overall, I hope to see a big improvement in our play over last season.

However, I am still going to hedge my prediction for us this season because I would rather be pleasantly surprised.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Any rumors on the not so secret scrimmage opponent?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago Currently with Bilau still recovering, Green still no waiver yest, and Dubs barely mentioned, we have a pretty good idea of where the minutes will go.

My biggest concern is still the team jelling on the court because they are all new pieces and haven't played together in actual games, much different than just practice among themselves.
Foul shooting from our guards (Kortright and House) and overall outside threats from our starters (except for Zek) may still be a question.

We do have a much more talented roster than last season and the team is much stronger.
I expect us to be very competitive in just about every game, yeah we won't be perfect and there will be lapses.

However, I am still going to hedge my prediction for us this season because I would rather be pleasantly surprised.

So... The opposite of what 72 said? Better talent, but worse jell'n/chemistry? I'm so confused.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 7 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago Currently with Bilau still recovering, Green still no waiver yest, and Dubs barely mentioned, we have a pretty good idea of where the minutes will go.

So... The opposite of what 72 said? Better talent, but worse jell'n/chemistry? I'm so confused.....
So what if we have:
A. 72's better jell'n/chemistry AND 77's better talent??

Or
B. 72's worse talent AND 77's worse jell'n/chemistry?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I really didn’t say worse chemistry, because I felt that way about last season’s roster also. I just have my concerns because of the new group.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago

I really didn’t say worse chemistry, because I felt that way about last season’s roster also. I just have my concerns because of the new group.
Yeah 77 is just saying they may have chemistry issues. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll be as bad as last years chemistry issues.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

In the era of the portal, how many teams don’t have player chemistry issues? Seems most teams do to one extent or another - to me, anyway, that seems to be the case so, it is not as much a concern for me versus the competition.

To me it (chemistry) places more emphasis on coaching and teaching ability to iron out the chemistry issues in the early season tune up’s. And, I think we are in good shape in the coaching and teaching department currently.

Go Rhody!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago In the era of the portal, how many teams don’t have player chemistry issues? Seems most teams do to one extent or another - to me, anyway, that seems to be the case so, it is not as much a concern for me versus the competition.

To me it (chemistry) places more emphasis on coaching and teaching ability to iron out the chemistry issues in the early season tune up’s. And, I think we are in good shape in the coaching and teaching department currently.

Go Rhody!
Nowadays it's about who is faster to establish good team chemistry. Since almost everyone retools their roster on a yearly basis. We've also seen teams bring back everyone and get worse like Saint Louis and St Bonaventure recently
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Today's Rhody SuperFan words of the day are:

Chemistry and Jell'n
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Picked to finish 15th

That Chemistry word again

Potential Weaknesses: There is one weakness this team may run into — especially with all these new players — chemistry. House and Kortright can put up points but aren’t known to be pass-first players, Green is an unknown, and the freshmen are very raw and the big men are all new to each other.

https://www.a10talk.com/2023-24-atlanti ... de-island/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 7 months ago
Cool please post links if possible , want to hear from our players
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's weird how you never hear about awful teams with great chemistry. Whenever I hear "chemistry" used, it's a kind of vague, imprecise term to me that can probably be better explained if you look at things like team fit, defensive match-ups, etc. Ultimately, plenty of teams have won with guys who have hated each other off the court (Kobe and Shaq, most Dennis Rodman teams eventually, Michael Jordan wasn't exactly a friendly guy, etc.).
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 7 months ago It's weird how you never hear about awful teams with great chemistry. Whenever I hear "chemistry" used, it's a kind of vague, imprecise term to me that can probably be better explained if you look at things like team fit, defensive match-ups, etc. Ultimately, plenty of teams have won with guys who have hated each other off the court (Kobe and Shaq, most Dennis Rodman teams eventually, Michael Jordan wasn't exactly a friendly guy, etc.).
Nobody brought up chemistry concerns before the Tune Squad beat the Monstars and you can't tell me that any of those animals ever played ball together enough to have great chemistry.

I'm in agreement with you - I find people use "chemistry" as some intangible reason to support shitting on a team when you've run out of reasons to justify your opinion of that team.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Nothing we didn't already know from media day today.

It would be nice to know about Green but we still don't know a goddamn thing!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A month away from 1st game
Monday November 6 at 7pm

Who does Archie have in his starting line up in 4 weeks?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago A month away from 1st game
Monday November 6 at 7pm

I will take another stab at it and think they may start off going small: Kortright, House, Weston, Zek, and Brown. That is assuming Green is not eligible.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago
Monday November 6 at 7pm

I will take another stab at it and think they may start off going small: Kortright, House, Weston, Zek, and Brown. That is assuming Green is not eligible.
If Green is eligible does he start? Who would Archie sit?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
Monday November 6 at 7pm

If Green is eligible does he start? Who would Archie sit?
Thinking Green would start in place of Weston.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya green would start if eligible.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Luis
House
Weston/Zek
Green*
Fuchs

You better believe the ncaa will take at least until November 5th to tell us whether Green is eligible. Tez Walker finally being granted his eligibility makes me pretty confident.

We may even see an Antwan Walker situation where he isn't eligible until halfway through the year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Luis , House , Zek are 3 definites I’m thinking and also Green if eligible

Would guess Tyson is the 5th
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Monday November 6 at 7pm

Are there any secret scrimmages coming up ?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago
Monday November 6 at 7pm

We will find out Friday it seems. The scrimmage last year was definitely an insight into the season to be. I'm hoping this one isn't close to being as bad as that one.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago
Monday November 6 at 7pm

We will find out Friday it seems. The scrimmage last year was definitely an insight into the season to be. I'm hoping this one isn't close to being as bad as that one.
Any intel on the scrimmage is greatly appreciated.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Fuchs is supposed to be one of the best freshmen in the country, wouldn't he be starting?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago If Fuchs is supposed to be one of the best freshmen in the country, wouldn't he be starting?
Did Archie actually say that, or did that come from our KB posters?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago If Fuchs is supposed to be one of the best freshmen in the country, wouldn't he be starting?
From an Evening with Coach Miller.......

David Fuks. Experience is pro level. 6’9 248, as strong as any player. He runs the floor, rebounds, and is very mobile. “One of the best freshman in the country”
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

David Fuks. Experience is pro level. 6’9 248, as strong as any player. He runs the floor, rebounds, and is very mobile. “One of the best freshman in the country”
Well, that is a lot of pressure to put on this kid.
To say that, puts him in very elite company and he was under the radar, not even one of the higher ranked international recruits.
When you think of one of the top freshmen in the entire country, I would compare him to a Lamar or Sly type of impact player for us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

To say that, puts him in very elite company and he was under the radar, not even one of the higher ranked international recruits.
When you think of one of the top freshmen in the entire country, I would compare him to a Lamar or Sly type of impact player for us.
Those are not my words. Those are from his HC. It's also the time of year that most HC's try to hype their team to some extent to get the fan base interest up. I wouldn't read to much into it. Miller talked highly of several members of last year's team about this time of year.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Those are not my words. Those are from his HC. It's also the time of year that most HC's try to hype their team to some extent to get the fan base interest up. I wouldn't read to much into it. Miller talked highly of several members of last year's team about this time of year.
Question is, did he say that before or after he had some of ECR's Limoncello at the Mews. :D

But Hey, if the kid is really that good of course he should start, and I would expect him to be an All-Conference impact player this season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Question is, did he say that before or after he had some of ECR's Limoncello at the Mews. :D

But Hey, if the kid is really that good of course he should start, and I would expect him to be an All-Conference impact player this season.
Last year and now again this year are about as crazy as I have even seen trying to predict the starting line up - Game 1. Last year nobody predicted what Archie went with.

This was a quote from Archie 1 year ago:

"He is as talented and physical as any wing I’ve ever had. He can grow into an All-Conference player,” Miller
said of Weston. “Between Freeman, Weston, and Harris, we have three of the most talented guys coming
into the league.”

So not sure how much weight I'd put into the Fuch's comment. But it's all about hope this time of year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So Archie’s defense, Freeman was a top guard, Harris would probably have been and Weston should be.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Last year and now again this year are about as crazy as I have even seen trying to predict the starting line up - Game 1. Last year nobody predicted what Archie went with.

This was a quote from Archie 1 year ago:

"He is as talented and physical as any wing I’ve ever had. He can grow into an All-Conference player,” Miller
said of Weston. “Between Freeman, Weston, and Harris, we have three of the most talented guys coming
into the league.”

So not sure how much weight I'd put into the Fuch's comment. But it's all about hope this time of year.
Yeah, I understand much of it is coach's hype, but still not sure I would go that far in regard to Fuchs.
I guess because we have been so bad lately, he is trying to generate some interest.

Again, the bottom line is actually winning will bring back the fans and generate excitement in the program.

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Clearly, most coaches tend to hype up their players, but I can't disagree with what Archie mentioned last year. Weston possesses plenty of talent and the potential to become an all-conference player. Bray, despite some inconsistent moments, displayed all-conference guard-level play when fully focused. Together with Ant and Ish, they could have formed a fantastic backcourt if everything clicked.

Archie consistently emphasized in multiple interviews that, due to Fuchs' role, he has the opportunity to be one of the best freshmen in the A10. I haven't seen him claim that Fuchs is one of the best freshmen in the country, apart from that one comment. Nonetheless, there are high expectations for Fuchs, and it's not just Archie; the entire staff holds him in high regard

Jersey you seemed to have more hope and faith in the players Cox would bring in a few years ago compared to Archie. I understand tempering expectations but some of these guys have to be the real deal or this team is going nowhere…It’s more likely that a coach and staff like ours will start to have more hits than misses as we continue to have more time to recruit. Last year was destined to be our most challenging recruiting season. It wouldn't be surprising at all if Fuchs turns out to be a standout. Have confidence
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago Clearly, most coaches tend to hype up their players, but I can't disagree with what Archie mentioned last year. Weston possesses plenty of talent and the potential to become an all-conference player. Bray, despite some inconsistent moments, displayed all-conference guard-level play when fully focused. Together with Ant and Ish, they could have formed a fantastic backcourt if everything clicked.

Archie consistently emphasized in multiple interviews that, due to Fuchs' role, he has the opportunity to be one of the best freshmen in the A10. I haven't seen him claim that Fuchs is one of the best freshmen in the country, apart from that one comment. Nonetheless, there are high expectations for Fuchs, and it's not just Archie; the entire staff holds him in high regard

Jersey you seemed to have more hope and faith in the players Cox would bring in a few years ago compared to Archie. I understand tempering expectations but some of these guys have to be the real deal or this team is going nowhere…It’s more likely that a coach and staff like ours will start to have more hits than misses as we continue to have more time to recruit. Last year was destined to be our most challenging recruiting season. It wouldn't be surprising at all if Fuchs turns out to be a standout. Have confidence
Just because I question Fuchs as one of the top freshmen in the country, it doesn't mean I don't think he will be very good or an impact player for us.
As a matter of fact, I like many of the players Archie brought in, including some from last season.
Of course, it is still too early to see how many of these players will pan out.
Plus, I have plenty of faith in our staff and strongly supported Archie's hire.

Still, comparing us to some of the teams in the A10, I don't feel we will contend for the title in 23-24.
That isn't a knock on us, I just think it will take a little more time.
I am not alone, none of the polls, insiders, and publications have us in the top tier A10.
Quite the opposite, most have us at the bottom or close to it.
Not to say that in 24-25 it can be a whole different story.
Still, I feel we will surprise a lot of people and be competitive this season.

Regarding Cox, remember I was one of the very few who pumped the brakes on the Mitchells.
The whole situation surrounding them leaving Maryland always concerned me.
However, the twins still had A10 talent, even though they were head cases.
Cox has always been regarded as a solid recruiter, but unfortunately struggled as a head coach.
0 x