9/2/2023 at Lehigh Bethlehem, Pa. W 38-10
9/9/2023 Colgate Villanova, Pa. W 42-19

Villanova plays at UCF next Saturday
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: Game 4 Football @ Villanova 2pm Sat Sept 23 FloSports

Unread post by jcru »

The last time I saw URI play Villanova in Villanova, on tv, was the year we got Kevin Brown Jr, and we were beating them on their own field.

This year's team is better than that year's team. So it should be a very interesting game to watch.

That year it was a very pleasant surprise to see Rhody betting the Novans on the road. This year, I don't think that would surprise anyone.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

New time in Rhody Fottball. Let’s get this done! It’s our year we can get this done!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The wheels came off the Villanova bus. 41-0 late in the 3rd at UCF.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Pivotal game.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As of now this is the last game Massey has URI as an underdog. Massey gives us a 48% chance of wining, and sees us losing 30-28.

If we can pull off the slight upset we'll be 3-1 with games vs. Bryant and at Brown on deck that should be wins. If we're 5-1 that means we should only have to go 3-2 down the stretch to make the playoffs. Lose this one and you probably have to go 6-1 from here on out to make the playoffs
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

They should win this game, and this is an opportunity for a statement game for anyone left out there who doesn't know or realize that this offense is for real.

Kahtero Summers ought to be 1st team All Conference and really, All American at the FCS level. I defy anyone to find another receiver who stretches the other team's defense like he does. They send him wide, and it forces the other team to devote not only their best defender on him, but they have to cheat their safety over to his side of the field. Meanwhile, the offense is becoming more dynamic by the week. Hill is looking sharp. Bust out party for McKenzie. O-Line is looking solid. Other receivers stepping up. But it all begins with Summers. They all have to keep on playing at a high level.

I don't like the idea of stating that your team is going to waltz into someone else's stadium and bully the home team from pillar to post, but if not this year, then when? This is URI's year. They need to win this game, and they have all the tools to win this game. If they update that spread to URI not being the underdog, then it shouldn't surprise anyone.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Or, think of it this way...

Massey says 30-28. Rhody should have extended their lead in Atlanta beyond 35 pts, if not for a bizarre double measurement on 4th down. That is against a FBS team that has otherwise been dominant in their first three games.

Rhody has scored 35 and 34 points in their two CAA games, one in Orono, ME, where they basically took their foot off the gas in the 4th quarter, they could have easily scored more in both of those two games, in necessary.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is: do you really believe Villanova's Defense is so dominant that they are going to hold URI to 28 points? Groff had the best game for a URI kicker in memory, hitting FGs of 47 and 42 yards. If you believe Massey, he's going to miss any FG he attempts in Villanova, PA. Is that realistic?

And our Defense hasn't quite caught up with our Offense yet, but they are getting better every week, and they get a lot of help from their Offense. They constantly have something to prove since that first game. That second half in Orono, particularly that 3rd quarter, was a thing of beauty for anyone who loves ball control football.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Villanova at home will be tough.
2 years ago they beat URI in Philly 44-0. Brandon Robinson started at QB, Hill played some
I watched the Villanova at UCF game this Saturday.
Could be our toughest FCS game of the season, especially on the road.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm watching it right now. Summers will draw #4 Goodman. Their middle linebacker #35 Bell is also very good.

Of note, that was the UCF quarterback's first start. A redshirt sophomore will little game experience. Hardly a 7th year senior like Hill.

Villanova D's strength is stopping the run. So leading with the run would be a mistake, at least until they get softened up a bit. A softened up D is play time for McKenzie.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I will concede that Savedge, who had a poor game vs Maine in Orono this past weekend, needs to step it up this week and catch the balls that hit him in the hands.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Another note: UFC, which led the country in rushing through the first two weeks of the season, held their top running back and team rushing leader, John Rhys Plumlee, out of the Villanova game for whatever reason. Seemed fine on the sidelines.

So, backup QB and #2 RB.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In the Stats Poll we went from 21 to 17. Villanova went from 24 to 25.

In the Coaches Poll we went from 20 to 18. Villanova is tied for 39th.

#17/18 Rhode Island at #25/39 Villanova
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huge game for both teams
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

These are the projected conference standings after week 3 when looking at Massey's game by game results:

1. William & Mary 8-0 (higher Massey than Delaware)
2. Delaware 8-0
3. Rhode Island 7-1
4. New Hampshire 6-2 (1-0 vs. other 6-2 teams)
5. Richmond 6-2
6. Villanova 6-2 (0-1 vs. other 6-2 teams)
7. Elon 4-4 (1-0 vs. other 4-4 teams)
8. Albany 4-4
9. Campbell 4-4 (0-1 vs. other 4-4 teams)
10. Monmouth 3-5
11. Maine 2-6
12. Towson 1-7 (projected to beat NC A&T)
13. NC A&T 1-7
14. Stony Brook 0-8 (higher Massey rating than Hampton
15. Hampton 0-8

The other big game this week is #11/12 New Hampshire at #19/16 Delaware. I'd say we want New Hampshire to win that one
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

With the respect that we have historically gotten from the selection committee, we need this game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Eh, I would say either this one or New Hampshire. Maybe Richmond depending on what they do the rest of the year. You definitely need to win one of those three. You lose all three and you're 7-4 with a pretty weak group of wins for a playoff contender
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

7-4 is not a playoff contender. That myth was put to pasture about two decades ago. You need to win 6 conference games to make the playoffs
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Fortunately URI can and should beat all of those teams.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Look at the results from this past weekend:

W&M beat Charleston Southern
Delaware beat St Francis
UNH beat Dartmouth
Richmond beat Delaware St

Not exactly the meat of their schedules. That would be the equivalent of us beating Bryant at home.

Villanova got b-slapped against UCF in Florida
And Elon had their way with a relative new comer, NC A&T at home

More impressive than all of those 6 games was new comer, Campbell, beating Monmouth on the road.

But we beat Maine in Orono for the first time in 25 years, and we only move up to 17/18. Really?

That basically says that after three weeks, there are still a LOT of people out there who are clueless as to how special this team that Fleming has put together really is.

They'll learn soon enough.

Remember over the last 2-3 decades when you were saying to yourself, one day, all of the stars and planets are going to align just right for Rhody Football. Well, that is happening, right now. In real time. Your eyes didn't deceive you, those of you who watched the last game, we are that good.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 7 months ago 7-4 is not a playoff contender. That myth was put to pasture about two decades ago. You need to win 6 conference games to make the playoffs
Delaware made it in to the playoffs last year with a 7-4 record. They were 4-4 in the CAA.

No CAA teams have missed the playoffs with an 8-3 record since they expanded the playoffs to the current format. 7-4 teams get in about 50% of the time
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Where you finish among the CAA Conference Teams is important.

Highlighted are the 8 CAA Teams we play.

We do not play William & Mary or Delaware

Fairly weak schedule so minimum 5-3 in conference likely necessary.
New Hampshire, Villanova and Richmond important games.

24654CCF-3470-4351-A3CF-D775AF05EB43.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RICHMOND, Va. (September 18, 2023) – For the second week in a row, five CAA Football teams are ranked in the Stats Perform FCS Top 25 poll, presented by FedEx Ground, and four teams are ranked in the AFCA Coaches poll.

William & Mary (3-0) is ranked #5 in both polls following another dominant defensive effort in a 15-7 road victory at Charleston Southern. The Tribe returns home on Saturday to face CAA foe Maine.

New Hampshire (2-1) is ranked #11 in the Stats poll and #12 in the AFCA after capturing the Granite Bowl with a 24-7 victory over Dartmouth. The Wildcats visit nationally ranked Delaware on Saturday.

Delaware (2-1) moved up to #16 in the AFCA rankings and #19 in the Stats rankings following its 42-14 home-opening win against Saint Francis. The Blue Hens entertain nationally ranked New Hampshire on Saturday.

Rhode Island (2-1) rose to #17 in the Stats poll and #18 in the AFCA poll after picking up a 34-17 victory at Maine. The Rams are back on the road this Saturday at #25 Villanova.

Villanova (2-1) is ranked #25 in the Stats poll and is receiving votes in the AFCA poll despite a 48-14 setback at Big 12 member UCF last week. The Wildcats host nationally ranked Rhode Island on Saturday.

Campbell (2-1) and UAlbany (1-2) were among other teams receiving votes in the Stats poll, while Hampton (2-1) and Richmond (1-2) received votes in the AFCA poll.

CAA Football’s five ranked teams in the Stats poll trailed only the Big Sky, which had six.

https://caasports.com/news/2023/9/18/fi ... -week.aspx
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I realize it must look like I am pluming URI's feathers here. But I wouldn't do it, if it wasn't deserved. I'm typically not in a rush to praise anything these days, to be honest. I don't give it out like candy on Halloween. But the team I have witnessed for the last three weeks, is worthy of it.

A lot of these polls seem biased on past performance and past trends. Why is UNH ranked higher than URI? Well, because it is expected. UNH went to the playoffs, URI hasn't gone to the playoffs in decade(s). It's almost like with these rankings, these pollsters are waiting for the real URI to show their face. Or "where to do we put URI until the bottom falls out like every year"?

Well, this isn't every year. Other people could be excused for thinking that way. Not us. This is a team that could easily be 3-0 right now, and they haven't even hit their stride yet. They are still building towards it. The pieces are still coming together. Their last half of football was the second half against Maine, and it was pretty much domination for 30 mins.

They gifted Maine a TD when they fumbled in their own redzone in the first half. That exposed a bend but don't break Defense for a brief moment. That is basically their only weakness. But you saw what a dominating Offense can do, in that second half. They can eat the clock and make the other team's D live out on the field for a long time, and that produces opportunities for our D like that INT in the endzone in the 4th quarter.

That's what we are looking at in Villanova. 35 points, as predicted by Massey, means you predict some wild things are going to all happen at the same time. Hill is all of a sudden going to throw a pick-six. Their Offense is going to just dominate our Defense, etc. Not if URI plays like they did in those first three games, they are not. Secondly, I watched that Villanova O vs UCF this past week. And they are plenty flawed themselves. That QB was 0 for 7, with an INT to start the game, and was easily rattled. He likes to roll to his right, when he does roll, and throw across his body to a mile away to the other sideline. He was jawing at his RB, etc. His early INT was into traffic among 3-4 defenders. This is all stuff they can see on the game film.

Villanova feasted the first two weeks on a couple of cupcakes. Now they face real competition. URI didn't go that route. URI just has to do what they are perfectly capable of doing, and keep the mistakes and penalties to a minimum.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago I realize it must look like I am pluming URI's feathers here. But I wouldn't do it, if it wasn't deserved. I'm typically not in a rush to praise anything these days, to be honest. I don't give it out like candy on Halloween. But the team I have witnessed for the last three weeks, is worthy of it.

A lot of these polls seem biased on past performance and past trends. Why is UNH ranked higher than URI? Well, because it is expected. UNH went to the playoffs, URI hasn't gone to the playoffs in decade(s). It's almost like with these rankings, these pollsters are waiting for the real URI to show their face. Or "where to do we put URI until the bottom falls out like every year"?

Well, this isn't every year. Other people could be excused for thinking that way. Not us. This is a team that could easily be 3-0 right now, and they haven't even hit their stride yet. They are still building towards it. The pieces are still coming together. Their last half of football was the second half against Maine, and it was pretty much domination for 30 mins.

They gifted Maine a TD when they fumbled in their own redzone in the first half. That exposed a bend but don't break Defense for a brief moment. That is basically their only weakness. But you saw what a dominating Offense can do, in that second half. They can eat the clock and make the other team's D live out on the field for a long time, and that produces opportunities for our D like that INT in the endzone in the 4th quarter.

That's what we are looking at in Villanova. 35 points, as predicted by Massey, means you predict some wild things are going to all happen at the same time. Hill is all of a sudden going to throw a pick-six. Their Offense is going to just dominate our Defense, etc. Not if URI plays like they did in those first three games, they are not. Secondly, I watched that Villanova O vs UCF this past week. And they are plenty flawed themselves. That QB was 0 for 7, with an INT to start the game, and was easily rattled. He likes to roll to his right, when he does roll, and throw across his body to a mile away to the other sideline. He was jawing at his RB, etc. His early INT was into traffic among 3-4 defenders. This is all stuff they can see on the game film.

Villanova feasted the first two weeks on a couple of cupcakes. Now they face real competition. URI didn't go that route. URI just has to do what they are perfectly capable of doing, and keep the mistakes and penalties to a minimum.
Rhode Island (2-1) rose to #17 in the Stats poll and #18 in the AFCA poll after picking up a 34-17 victory at Maine.

So this is where these 2 polls have URI after 3 games
You clearly don't like these rankings so where would you have URI?

You mention all of URI's strengths. Where do you think we are vulnerable and what are our weaknesses through 3 games?

Rhode Island (2-1) rose to #17 in the Stats poll and #18 in the AFCA poll after picking up a 34-17 victory at Maine.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In stats other CAA Ranked Teams:

No. 5 William & Mary
No. 11 New Hampshire
No. 19 Delaware
No. 25 Villanova

Since URI does not play #5 William & Mary or #19 Delaware then the head to head games vs #11 UNH and #25 take on added weight

We need a solid performance this Saturday
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I honestly don't see any weaknesses on Offense. And the games bear that out. Georgia State really wasn't able to stop our Offense from game 1, and I think it surprised them. The only problem is, in the first half we weren't able to stop their Offense either.

I don't like to talk about individual players being weaknesses, especially at this level. I used to, twenty years ago, and it wasn't well received, people thought I was being too critical of 20 year olds. So, I'll just say, as a group, the Defense is a potential weakness. In that Georgia State game, they were able to make adjustments, and they not only tightened up their D, but they were able to close the gap and then take the lead. We really didn't see a Defense lapse vs Stony Brook. But vs Maine, you could see that when we turned the ball over deep in our own redzone, Maine was able to punch it in with just a few downs. Our Defense cannot be left in that position, where the other team get's the ball in the redzone with a fresh set of downs, and we're just going to expect them to stop some sort of score.

Which leads to another potential weakness: turnovers. Silas fumbling the football (there I go, singling out a 20 year old, sorry). If I were coach, I might never play him again. But I'm not Fleming, and I'm a bit harsh. He'll probably get a second chance, but if he blows that and fumbles again, that might be it for him. Protecting the ball is a potential weakness. Hill has thrown a couple of interceptions, but there is a difference between what he did in Maine, which was throw a deep pass along the sideline on their side of the field, on a 3rd and long, a jump ball, leaving the defender no opportunity to advance it.... and a pick six in your own territory. The former is almost a strategic move, the yardage wasn't much different than if they punted the ball, and it gave our guy a 50/50 chance or better of making the completion.

Lastly, penalties. Penalties were not an issue in Maine, but they were a big issue in the first two games. Which means, in general, they are working on their weaknesses. They appear to be a well coached team out there, they play smart. You have to give that to them. I've seen a lot of URI Football teams over the years who didn't play smart. These guys, so far, do things out there that make sense, or are downright clever. That might mean that not only are they better physically talented players, but they are selecting smarter players as they go along too. Maybe they are more easily coachable, or maybe they are just instinctively smart, like we call people in bball who have a "high IQ".

I did see some strengths to Villanova, btw. They have good team speed, and they are a high energy team. They have a good Defense, that is obviously stronger vs weaker competition, but they could give URI problems early on. They try to stop the run, but if you stretch them out, it left holes for that UCF QB to run through. The UCF QB was not a prolific passer, he was hit and miss with his passes, to be honest, but it didn't stop them from opening up that Villanova D. Villanova does have a group of very good defensive backs, so they are not to be taken likely, but our receivers are very good too, obviously. There could be some battles out there for possession of the ball on passes. We have to win those, but be smart enough to bat down the ones we can't catch. Their middle linebacker is All Conference quality as well.

On Offense, they have a senior QB, and all senior RBs. They have that All Conference special teams guy, #1, who serves as their third down back, and is a serious treat as a return man on special teams. They have talent, but I just don't think they have the entire package lined up like we do. They are kind of a team that tries to overwhelm their opponent on talent alone, and I don't think that will work against this Rhody team, TBH.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good points Jcru
My biggest fear vs Villanova is our defensive rush/pressure

3 sacks in 3 games with 2.5 of those sacks by Soph AJ Peña.

Our 2 safeties are potential All Conference, Stewart also potential All Conference.
Defensive line and linebackers need to put pressure on the QB, especially a SR QB as Villanova has. Defensive backs can benefit from the QB pressure but they can also break over the course of a game where the QB gets time to throw consistently.
For sure Fleming and staff are working on this.

469E740D-53CE-424D-96D9-221853A88F6F.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago I honestly don't see any weaknesses on Offense. And the games bear that out. Georgia State really wasn't able to stop our Offense from game 1, and I think it surprised them. The only problem is, in the first half we weren't able to stop their Offense either.

I don't like to talk about individual players being weaknesses, especially at this level. I used to, twenty years ago, and it wasn't well received, people thought I was being too critical of 20 year olds. So, I'll just say, as a group, the Defense is a potential weakness. In that Georgia State game, they were able to make adjustments, and they not only tightened up their D, but they were able to close the gap and then take the lead. We really didn't see a Defense lapse vs Stony Brook. But vs Maine, you could see that when we turned the ball over deep in our own redzone, Maine was able to punch it in with just a few downs. Our Defense cannot be left in that position, where the other team get's the ball in the redzone with a fresh set of downs, and we're just going to expect them to stop some sort of score.

Which leads to another potential weakness: turnovers. Silas fumbling the football (there I go, singling out a 20 year old, sorry). If I were coach, I might never play him again. But I'm not Fleming, and I'm a bit harsh. He'll probably get a second chance, but if he blows that and fumbles again, that might be it for him. Protecting the ball is a potential weakness. Hill has thrown a couple of interceptions, but there is a difference between what he did in Maine, which was throw a deep pass along the sideline on their side of the field, on a 3rd and long, a jump ball, leaving the defender no opportunity to advance it.... and a pick six in your own territory. The former is almost a strategic move, the yardage wasn't much different than if they punted the ball, and it gave our guy a 50/50 chance or better of making the completion.

Lastly, penalties. Penalties were not an issue in Maine, but they were a big issue in the first two games. Which means, in general, they are working on their weaknesses. They appear to be a well coached team out there, they play smart. You have to give that to them. I've seen a lot of URI Football teams over the years who didn't play smart. These guys, so far, do things out there that make sense, or are downright clever. That might mean that not only are they better physically talented players, but they are selecting smarter players as they go along too. Maybe they are more easily coachable, or maybe they are just instinctively smart, like we call people in bball who have a "high IQ".

I did see some strengths to Villanova, btw. They have good team speed, and they are a high energy team. They have a good Defense, that is obviously stronger vs weaker competition, but they could give URI problems early on. They try to stop the run, but if you stretch them out, it left holes for that UCF QB to run through. The UCF QB was not a prolific passer, he was hit and miss with his passes, to be honest, but it didn't stop them from opening up that Villanova D. Villanova does have a group of very good defensive backs, so they are not to be taken likely, but our receivers are very good too, obviously. There could be some battles out there for possession of the ball on passes. We have to win those, but be smart enough to bat down the ones we can't catch. Their middle linebacker is All Conference quality as well.

On Offense, they have a senior QB, and all senior RBs. They have that All Conference special teams guy, #1, who serves as their third down back, and is a serious treat as a return man on special teams. They have talent, but I just don't think they have the entire package lined up like we do. They are kind of a team that tries to overwhelm their opponent on talent alone, and I don't think that will work against this Rhody team, TBH.
Good point on playing smart.
Look at our leaders on defense.
Jordan Colbert Safety playing his 2nd year at URI and really taking charge this year. Grad Year who transferred from Columbia

Brent Jackson Safety Grad Year after transferring this season from Bucknell

Evan Stewart who transferred from Boston College

All 3 from strong academic schools. All veterans.

Good mix in with some talented Sophomores and Freshmen.

Like having Coaches on the field with experienced, smart and talented players like Colbert, Jackson and Stewart.
42C71B07-591E-48B7-B5B5-CAD7E729C4B1.jpeg
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Here's an idea...

Maybe not play Silas at all in the first half. That's when he seems to have a history of very inopportune fumbles, just like in Orono this past weekend.

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-state ... l/41943587
https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2022 ... homa-state

Maybe just keep that entire experiment on ice until we get to the Bryant and Brown games.

We get all excited when we get a FBS player from some team somewhere, who is meant to be good. Sometimes there might be a reason why they parted ways, however. Stick to McKenzie and Sloat for Villanova.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't know what the kids call that these days, but back in the 80's and 90's we used to call that "holding the ball like a loaf of bread".

And now that teams know he's a fumble machine, every fist, elbow, knee will be directed at that ball when he's carrying it. People will be spearing the ball with their head to get it loose. So, fumbling is a snow ball effect, because you become a target.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Kasim Hill currently second in the FCS in passing yards with 941
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The weather doesn't look great for this one:

Rain. Potential for heavy rainfall. High 61F. Winds NE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall around a half an inch.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No changes in our two deep for this one
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago The weather doesn't look great for this one:

Rain. Potential for heavy rainfall. High 61F. Winds NE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall around a half an inch.
That weather concerns me, especially as a team that can throw the ball.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Heading to the game. It would be a huge boost to our playoff chances to get the win. I am not looking forward to the weather however.
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Ramulous wrote: 7 months ago Heading to the game. It would be a huge boost to our playoff chances to get the win. I am not looking forward to the weather however.
Have fun. We were going to go but the weather may end up being too much. My wife still gets on me about sitting through a monsoon in 07 vs umass, and another storm at william and mary (cant recall the year)…
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

This game is huge for us. HUGE!!!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Weather def impacts us more as a pass first team.
Will be a real tough one to pull out.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago Here's an idea...

Maybe not play Silas at all in the first half. That's when he seems to have a history of very inopportune fumbles, just like in Orono this past weekend.

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-state ... l/41943587
https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2022 ... homa-state

Maybe just keep that entire experiment on ice until we get to the Bryant and Brown games.

We get all excited when we get a FBS player from some team somewhere, who is meant to be good. Sometimes there might be a reason why they parted ways, however. Stick to McKenzie and Sloat for Villanova.
I'd say some get excited when a FBS Player Transfers to URI, especially when said Player was a 3-star or a 4-star. Some go crazy over that and often the local media fawns over that info too. However, the URI Coaching Staff is strong. These Coaches are good at evaluating talent and don't fall for this media and internet hype.

Example:
  • Game 1 at Georgia State Silas carried 10 times for 50 yards
  • Game 2 vs Stony Brook Silas carried only 5 times for only 9 yards
  • Game 3 at Maine Silas carried only 3 times for 18 yards.Silas rushed for 2 yards followed by a loss of 4 yards in the 1st Q. In the 2nd Q 10:23 mark, Silas ran on 1st down for 16 yards and fumbled, recovered by Maine. Silas never saw the field again.
I don't believe we will see Silas vs Villanova this weekend.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's an encouraging thought, ramster.

Likewise, I said he seems to fumble in the first half. Well, for most coaches out there, if you fumble in the first half, you aren't likely to see any time in the second half by default.

We can't afford to turn the ball over, particularly turnovers that turn into points for the other team, against Villanova.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago That's an encouraging thought, ramster.

Likewise, I said he seems to fumble in the first half. Well, for most coaches out there, if you fumble in the first half, you aren't likely to see any time in the second half by default.

We can't afford to turn the ball over, particularly turnovers that turn into points for the other team, against Villanova.
An even more encouraging thought would be the play of McKenzie in the last game. Could be that the Silas fumble gave even more opportunity to McKenzie, especially in the 2nd half. I'd think in a heavy rain environment as is expected this Saturday that McKenzie could see a lot of time on the field.

Info that was released when he committed to URI..
Ja'Den McKenzie
West Chester | Morton, Pa.
Running Back
6-2 | 238
1 Year of Eligibility

A physical, powerful runner out of the backfield, McKenzie comes to the Rams with one season of eligibility. In three seasons at Division II West Chester, he rushed for 2,603 yards and 30 touchdowns in 33 games. In 2022, he also caught nine passes for 76 yards and a score. A three-time First Team All-PSAC honoree, he set the school's freshman rushing record in 2019 with 917 yards, helping him earn a spot on the Don Hansen Football Gazette All-Super Region 1 squad. McKenzie also was the Don Hansen Football Gazette Region 1 Freshman of the Year that season.

Lead recruiter Mike Flanagan on McKenzie
"Ja'Den has been one of the nation's best players at the Division II level. He has a great combination of size and athleticism. He is an all-around, every down back who can run through or around defenders."
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Maybe, maybe not.

I would give McKenzie more minutes in the second half and perhaps as early as the second quarter. I don't think turning this pass oriented offense into a one dimensional running team, on the road, out of the blue, in something of a panic due to the weather, is the way to go, however. I wouldn't even lead with him in the first quarter.

Choosing the path of least resistance, in this case, running the ball because the weather is poor, is never a good idea in football. Because, among other things, your opponent is counting on you doing that. Villanova's main Defensive strength is stuffing the run, and they would like nothing better than you to feed your brand new running back, who is just beginning to break out, and hasn't really hit his stride yet, to the wolves, and demoralize him early and often. It's the old saying of going to wrestle with the pig in the mud. That defense is couldn't wish for a better scenario to start the game.

As difficult as it may be, they still have to establish their Offense against Villanova, even if that means not throwing the long ball and having to settle for over the middle passes, screens, and a lot of passes under coverage and closer to those intimidating linebackers Villanova has. They still have to send Summers wide and deep, every play. You have to make them respect those components of your offense, and the only way to do that is to utilize them. Rather than McKenzie, although he could still be a huge factor later in the game, this could be Savedge's game to shine. Because he's supposed to be that Wes Welker like WR, who can go over the middle and take the punishing hits and hold on to the ball. He needs to have a good game on Saturday. He can't have the drops like he did against Maine.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago Maybe, maybe not.

I would give McKenzie more minutes in the second half and perhaps as early as the second quarter. I don't think turning this pass oriented offense into a one dimensional running team, on the road, out of the blue, in something of a panic due to the weather, is the way to go, however. I wouldn't even lead with him in the first quarter.

Choosing the path of least resistance, in this case, running the ball because the weather is poor, is never a good idea in football. Because, among other things, your opponent is counting on you doing that. Villanova's main Defensive strength is stuffing the run, and they would like nothing better than you to feed your brand new running back, who is just beginning to break out, and hasn't really hit his stride yet, to the wolves, and demoralize him early and often. It's the old saying of going to wrestle with the pig in the mud. That defense is couldn't wish for a better scenario to start the game.

As difficult as it may be, they still have to establish their Offense against Villanova, even if that means not throwing the long ball and having to settle for over the middle passes, screens, and a lot of passes under coverage and closer to those intimidating linebackers Villanova has. They still have to send Summers wide and deep, every play. You have to make them respect those components of your offense, and the only way to do that is to utilize them. Rather than McKenzie, although he could still be a huge factor later in the game, this could be Savedge's game to shine. Because he's supposed to be that Wes Welker like WR, who can go over the middle and take the punishing hits and hold on to the ball. He needs to have a good game on Saturday. He can't have the drops like he did against Maine.
Jcru,
My bigger point was that Silas would likely see less time, if he sees any playing time at all, because of the play of McKenzie.

However Fleming and staff see us winning I'm good with. Just win baby. Outscore the opponent in the rain.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Like how CAA Football does weekly press conferences with each Head Coach
Fleming described the process of moving the game to Friday night due to weather and that they got back home at 5:30am Saturday

Talked about decreasing penalties from an average of 9 to only 3 vs Maine
Nice words for McKenzie and how he himself would not want to be the guy trying to tackle McKenzie in the last 5 minutes of the game

Nice comments about PK Ty Groff and how impressed he was with him in his recruiting visit. Groff was also the QB at New Canaan HS

Talked about Kasim Hill and his opportunity to play beyond college.

https://caasports.com/news/2023/9/18/ca ... pt-18.aspx
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saturday Schedule
C691CC34-7F42-41C3-8FF2-4368FDD11609.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 7 months ago Like how CAA Football does weekly press conferences with each Head Coach
Fleming described the process of moving the game to Friday night due to weather and that they got back home at 5:30am Saturday

Nice words for McKenzie and how he himself would not want to be the guy trying to tackle McKenzie in the last 5 minutes of the game

Nice comments about PK Ty Groff and how impressed he was with him in his recruiting visit. Groff was also the QB at New Canaan HS

I wonder if we eventually see some kind of trick play with Groff if he was a high school QB
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago
ramster wrote: 7 months ago Like how CAA Football does weekly press conferences with each Head Coach

I wonder if we eventually see some kind of trick play with Groff if he was a high school QB
good point
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago That's an encouraging thought, ramster.

Are there any known "second-half" fumblers?
0 x