Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago
ramster wrote: 7 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago I actually feel the A10 will be ranked #10 come the end of 23-24.
Several polls I have seen show Liberty #1 in C-USA and GCU #1 in the WAC, neither team so far rated higher than our leaders.
Both conferences expected to be down a little, no surprise with C-USA losing their top 3 programs and the WAC losing Sam Houston to C-USA.

As to the previous discussion in comparing us to the WAC, I would never base my overall opinion or perspective on the results of just 1-season with 22-23 being our worst and their NET was better by a very narrow margin. Aside from that, there is really no comparison because it isn't even close.
You previously made a statement that the A10 was currently a Top 10 Team heading into next season. That is what I disagreed with as soon as I read it. The A10 was #12 last year NET and #11 last year in RPI. The A10 lost a lot of talent to transfers since the end of lat season plus two of the Conference's better HC's to Penn State and PC.
The trend of this Conference has been down with no visible signs yet of the decline bottoming out or leveling and pertaining not moving up.

We have a Commissioner who was not at the A10 Championship Game to award the Trophy to VCU. The most important sport for her Conference and she can't be present. Then Dayton could have gotten a NIT bid but refused to play in the NIT. Our Commissioner could have been on hand to try to console and encourage Dayton Players and Coaches to accept the NIT. But she was nowhere to be found. Leadership is lacking at a crucial time for College Sports.
Time for a change is here and has been for several years.
Ramster yes right now looking at the conferences going into 23-24, I think we are top 10, that is my opinion, period.

Did you happen to ask McGlade why she wasn't there? I have no idea.

My concern is with us right now and being relevant again.
Not with the A10 administrators, let the member schools deal with that.
I know it's your opinion, and I respectively disagree with it plus I have collected into from RPI and NET to show the decline of the A10.

I did not ask her why she was not there because she was not there and I really don't give a damn where the is. She needs to be fired.

What are the member schools going to do about McGlade? Good Head Coaches are retiring and moving away from the A10 - biggest reasons people leave their jobs is because of their Manager/Leader. This Conference is sinking under her Lack of Leadership.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

You previously made a statement that the A10 was currently a Top 10 Team heading into next season. That is what I disagreed with as soon as I read it. The A10 was #12 last year NET and #11 last year in RPI. The A10 lost a lot of talent to transfers since the end of lat season plus two of the Conference's better HC's to Penn State and PC.
The trend of this Conference has been down with no visible signs yet of the decline bottoming out or leveling and pertaining not moving up.

We have a Commissioner who was not at the A10 Championship Game to award the Trophy to VCU. The most important sport for her Conference and she can't be present. Then Dayton could have gotten a NIT bid but refused to play in the NIT. Our Commissioner could have been on hand to try to console and encourage Dayton Players and Coaches to accept the NIT. But she was nowhere to be found. Leadership is lacking at a crucial time for College Sports.
Ramster yes right now looking at the conferences going into 23-24, I think we are top 10, that is my opinion, period.

I know it's your opinion, and I respectively disagree with it plus I have collected into from RPI and NET to show the decline of the A10.

I did not ask her why she was not there because she was not there and I really don't give a damn where the is. She needs to be fired.

What are the member schools going to do about McGlade? Good Head Coaches are retiring and moving away from the A10 - biggest reasons people leave their jobs is because of their Manager/Leader. This Conference is sinking under her Lack of Leadership.
I dunno, if I'm a coach, I'm thinking the AD and president of the school are more important to me than the commish?
If I'm the AD or the president, I probably care more about the commish than the coach does?
Not a coach, so I would have no frame of reference, which obviously doesn't stop me from speculating, but I can't see a coach leaving a conference because of the commish, though I spose it could happen.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If you are so adamant about her being fired, then start a petition and send letters to the A10 member schools.
Frankly I couldn't care less either way and am not losing sleep over it.

I actually find it pretty comical that you seem to be so hung up on this.
Yep, just ask the head coaches and programs why they leave for the P6 or trade up.
I am sure the first thing they will say is it's because of McGlade, yet the member schools keep voting to extend her and she is one of the longest tenured commissioners.
Funny that Archie decided to come back to the A10 in spite of what you are saying.

Like I said, I don't give a rat's ass either way about her, she isn't my immediate concern.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If you are so adamant about her being fired, then start a petition and send letters to the A10 member schools.

Yep, just ask the head coaches and programs why they leave for the P6 or trade up.
I am sure the first thing they will say is it's because of McGlade, yet the member schools keep voting to extend her and she is one of the longest tenured commissioners.
Funny that Archie decided to come back to the A10 in spite of what you are saying.

Like I said, I don't give a rat's ass either way about her, she isn't my immediate concern.
You are changing your stance. You have been defending McGlade many times here and saying none of the issues with the A10 are her fault at all. I would never have even brought up McGlade except for you continually defending her and placing the blame on HC's and changes in the game. Thing is NIL, Covid 5th year, No Sit Out Transfers, Expanding P5 Conference Games, etc don't just affect the A10, but all Mid Majors - yet other Mid Major Conferences are finding ways to move their Ranking Higher. They overcome obstacles. A10 is moving in the wrong direction at a very important time.
Last edited by ramster 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 Basketball battling downward trend of teams in NCAA Tournament
by Stu Durando of The Saint Louis - Dispatch
April 11,2023
There were signs at the start of January that the Atlantic 10 was going to need more than one team to build an impressive conference record to have a chance to get multiple teams into the NCAA Tournament.

By February the chance of continuing a 16-year streak with at least two representatives was heavily damaged.

By March, the A-10’s status as a one-bid league was a foregone conclusion, and only Virginia Commonwealth made the 68-team men’s basketball field.

The A-10 has seen a downward trend since sending six teams in 2014. From 2012 to ’14, 15 teams from the league played in the tourney.

The conference has undergone a rash of coaching changes, lost key players and seen the departure of programs and arrival of others — just like most leagues around the country. Amid the tumult, it is scheduling that many pinpoint as the biggest problem for the A-10.

Commissioner Bernadette McGlade said the conference needs to stay the course — and perform better in nonconference games — as it seeks to reverse direction.
“The league is certainly in good shape,” she said. “This year is sort of an outlier in terms of only having one. I don’t think anyone is in any type of panic mode. I think we’ll stay the course with what we’re doing strategically.”

The A-10 finished this season with only three teams in the top 100 of the NET rankings and one in the top 200 for nonconference strength of schedule. That team was St. Louis University, at No. 53.

By posting a 1-19 record in Quadrant 1 nonconference games and 8-16 mark in Quadrant 2, the A-10 created a difficult path for any team to garner an at-large berth.

“That will be a discussion at our May meetings because clearly it’s a challenge,” SLU athletics director Chris May said. “That’s a big concern. We’ll have to look at everything from scheduling to minimum requirements. We’ve been in the league with a lot of bids, but it’s not there right now.”

A-10 teams have one NCAA Tournament win in the last four years it was played. There also have been unfortunate COVID situations such as Dayton being primed for a No. 1 seed in 2020 before the tourney was canceled and VCU having to forfeit in the first round in 2021 because of COVID.

Not meeting expectations
The league has guidelines for nonconference scheduling but nothing that is mandatory. Last season, league members played 50% of nonconference games against Quadrant 4 opponents. All but four teams suffered at least one Quad 4 loss.

The league’s scheduling policy includes a goal of winning at least 70% of games before the start of A-10 play. This season the cumulative winning percentage in nonconference was .583.

So, there is a scheduling puzzle between incorporating upper echelon opponents — if you can’t get them to play — and building a good record.

“The (NCAA selection) committee looks at what you have control over in scheduling, and you have control in nonconference,” McGlade said. “If you’re going to schedule a team 250 or higher in the NET, you’d better win that game. It not only hurts your team but has a ripple effect for the rest of the league. We look at wanting to schedule teams that are 175 to 200 or better. That’s easier said than done.”
McGlade acknowledged the schedule problem that has been known for years. There typically are teams that will be among the top 50 or 75 in the NET that won’t play at a place such as VCU, SLU or Dayton.

Richmond coach Chris Mooney has the longest tenure in the A-10, having been hired in 2005. He has seen the league improve from one team in the NCAA Tournament to six and then return to one.

“If you look at the high majors, they’re playing each other more and more,” Mooney said. “We’ve seen a rapid slip. If you look at the schedules the top half of the A-10 played eight to 10 years ago, we’ve had a pretty big drop in power conference teams we’re playing. I really do think it’s a major issue.”

The A-10 tried to give a scheduling boost to the teams most likely to vie for the NCAA Tournament in 2022-23 by giving them two games against each other. For instance, SLU played twice against VCU, Dayton, Davidson and Loyola. However, the latter two teams fell well short of expectations.

Challenge coming?

McGlade said it is possible the A-10 will arrange with another conference for a challenge event after an agreement with the Mountain West for the 2020-21 season fell through because of COVID. SLU was supposed to play San Diego State that season.
“I think it is valuable and we have been working on that,” McGlade said, without mentioning a league. “We have been trying to get a conference challenge that is not only interesting for fans but guaranteed games that are important.”

Multi-team events (MTEs) are an avenue for teams to play power conference opponents. As of now, Davidson, Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, Loyola, VCU and Massachusetts are in events that will provide opportunities for quality wins. SLU does not have an MTE solidified.

The A-10 has undergone a bit of a transformation since its best seasons. Xavier, Butler, Temple and Charlotte left and VCU, Davidson, George Mason and Loyola-Chicago have joined.

Coaching wise, Travis Ford has been in the league longer than every one except Mooney and St. Bonaventure’s Mark Schmidt. Since his arrival at SLU in 2016, seven schools have had three coaches.

Ultimately, the bottom line is for A-10 programs to build better teams, win more games and avoid bad losses. That has not been happening on a consistent enough basis.

“Even when we had five or six teams (in the NCAA tourney), we talked about how to increase the number,” McGlade said. “This was an outlier. I don’t think something becomes a consistent concern until there’s a period of time over which it’s occurring. It doesn’t mean we don’t take it seriously.”

In red are comments from Bernadette McGlade.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college ... 73151.html
Last edited by ramster 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CUT BERNADETTE BAIT

YOU’LL BE McGLADE YOU DID
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 7 months ago CUT BERNADETTE BAIT

YOU’LL BE McGLADE YOU DID
She is all talk. We saw how quickly the PAC 12 dismantled under poor leadership. A10 for many years was the top Mid Major ranked 7th with the P5 and BE ahead. Now getting bypassed by other Mid Majors and chances to drop even further in Conference Rankings.

Expect another 1 NCAA Bid Year. Dayton, VCU and Saint Louis and others will not stand still for being in a 15 team Conference that gets no At-Large Bids
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You are changing your stance. You have been defending McGlade many times here and saying nothing the issues with the A10 are not her fault at all. I would never have even brought up McGlade except for you continually defending her.
No, you asked me my opinion about her.

I don't know her from atom, but said she has been long tenured, received several accolades, and sits on several select committees. Also, since she kept getting extended the member schools must like/trust her, or she has pictures on them.
In addition, I also stated she isn't responsible for the team's wins and losses or having disappointing seasons.
Much of that blame should fall on the individual programs.
Also, not much she can do about schools trading up to better conferences if given the opportunity, no commissioner has been successful with that, just look at the current college landscape.

Again Ramster, I really don't care either way, the commissioner is hired by and works for the member schools, and they make the final call.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I can't believe anyone actually cares, but I'm pretty sure McGlade wasn't at the A10 Championship to present the trophy because she was a member of the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee. With the championship being on Selection Sunday, I assume she was in the "war room" with the other ADs on the selection committee. Her five year term is up though and she is rotating off the committee this year, so I assume she'll be back at the championship.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 7 months ago I can't believe anyone actually cares, but I'm pretty sure McGlade wasn't at the A10 Championship to present the trophy because she was a member of the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee. With the championship being on Selection Sunday, I assume she was in the "war room" with the other ADs on the selection committee. Her five year term is up though and she is rotating off the committee this year, so I assume she'll be back at the championship.
She is doing a great job. Just fantastic. Amazing. Couldn't ask for more. Who cares anyway. We don't have to worry about At Large Bids anymore.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago A10 Basketball battling downward trend of teams in NCAA Tournament
April 11,2023
There were signs at the start of January that the Atlantic 10 was going to need more than one team to build an impressive conference record to have a chance to get multiple teams into the NCAA Tournament.

By February the chance of continuing a 16-year streak with at least two representatives was heavily damaged.

By March, the A-10’s status as a one-bid league was a foregone conclusion, and only Virginia Commonwealth made the 68-team men’s basketball field.

The A-10 has seen a downward trend since sending six teams in 2014. From 2012 to ’14, 15 teams from the league played in the tourney.

The conference has undergone a rash of coaching changes, lost key players and seen the departure of programs and arrival of others — just like most leagues around the country. Amid the tumult, it is scheduling that many pinpoint as the biggest problem for the A-10.

Commissioner Bernadette McGlade said the conference needs to stay the course — and perform better in nonconference games — as it seeks to reverse direction.
“The league is certainly in good shape,” she said. “This year is sort of an outlier in terms of only having one. I don’t think anyone is in any type of panic mode. I think we’ll stay the course with what we’re doing strategically.”

The A-10 finished this season with only three teams in the top 100 of the NET rankings and one in the top 200 for nonconference strength of schedule. That team was St. Louis University, at No. 53.

By posting a 1-19 record in Quadrant 1 nonconference games and 8-16 mark in Quadrant 2, the A-10 created a difficult path for any team to garner an at-large berth.

“That will be a discussion at our May meetings because clearly it’s a challenge,” SLU athletics director Chris May said. “That’s a big concern. We’ll have to look at everything from scheduling to minimum requirements. We’ve been in the league with a lot of bids, but it’s not there right now.”

A-10 teams have one NCAA Tournament win in the last four years it was played. There also have been unfortunate COVID situations such as Dayton being primed for a No. 1 seed in 2020 before the tourney was canceled and VCU having to forfeit in the first round in 2021 because of COVID.

Not meeting expectations
The league has guidelines for nonconference scheduling but nothing that is mandatory. Last season, league members played 50% of nonconference games against Quadrant 4 opponents. All but four teams suffered at least one Quad 4 loss.

The league’s scheduling policy includes a goal of winning at least 70% of games before the start of A-10 play. This season the cumulative winning percentage in nonconference was .583.

So, there is a scheduling puzzle between incorporating upper echelon opponents — if you can’t get them to play — and building a good record.

“The (NCAA selection) committee looks at what you have control over in scheduling, and you have control in nonconference,” McGlade said. “If you’re going to schedule a team 250 or higher in the NET, you’d better win that game. It not only hurts your team but has a ripple effect for the rest of the league. We look at wanting to schedule teams that are 175 to 200 or better. That’s easier said than done.”
McGlade acknowledged the schedule problem that has been known for years. There typically are teams that will be among the top 50 or 75 in the NET that won’t play at a place such as VCU, SLU or Dayton.

Richmond coach Chris Mooney has the longest tenure in the A-10, having been hired in 2005. He has seen the league improve from one team in the NCAA Tournament to six and then return to one.

“If you look at the high majors, they’re playing each other more and more,” Mooney said. “We’ve seen a rapid slip. If you look at the schedules the top half of the A-10 played eight to 10 years ago, we’ve had a pretty big drop in power conference teams we’re playing. I really do think it’s a major issue.”

The A-10 tried to give a scheduling boost to the teams most likely to vie for the NCAA Tournament in 2022-23 by giving them two games against each other. For instance, SLU played twice against VCU, Dayton, Davidson and Loyola. However, the latter two teams fell well short of expectations.

Challenge coming?

McGlade said it is possible the A-10 will arrange with another conference for a challenge event after an agreement with the Mountain West for the 2020-21 season fell through because of COVID. SLU was supposed to play San Diego State that season.
“I think it is valuable and we have been working on that,” McGlade said, without mentioning a league. “We have been trying to get a conference challenge that is not only interesting for fans but guaranteed games that are important.”

Multi-team events (MTEs) are an avenue for teams to play power conference opponents. As of now, Davidson, Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, Loyola, VCU and Massachusetts are in events that will provide opportunities for quality wins. SLU does not have an MTE solidified.

The A-10 has undergone a bit of a transformation since its best seasons. Xavier, Butler, Temple and Charlotte left and VCU, Davidson, George Mason and Loyola-Chicago have joined.

Coaching wise, Travis Ford has been in the league longer than every one except Mooney and St. Bonaventure’s Mark Schmidt. Since his arrival at SLU in 2016, seven schools have had three coaches.

Ultimately, the bottom line is for A-10 programs to build better teams, win more games and avoid bad losses. That has not been happening on a consistent enough basis.

“Even when we had five or six teams (in the NCAA tourney), we talked about how to increase the number,” McGlade said. “This was an outlier. I don’t think something becomes a consistent concern until there’s a period of time over which it’s occurring. It doesn’t mean we don’t take it seriously.”

McGlade - “I don’t think anyone is in any type of panic mode.”

McGlade - “I think we’ll stay the course with what we are doing strategically.”

Those two quotes do not boost my confidence in her ability to lead and in her decisiveness. Maybe it’s for the best that she wasn’t at the A10 Championship, Ramster.

Ooph!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 7 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago
ramster wrote: 7 months ago A10 Basketball battling downward trend of teams in NCAA Tournament
April 11,2023

Not meeting expectations

Challenge coming?

McGlade - “I don’t think anyone is in panic mode.”

McGlade - “I think we’ll stay the course with what we are doing strategically.”

Those two quotes do not boost my confidence in her ability to lead and in her decisiveness. Maybe it’s for the best that she wasn’t at the A10 Championship, Ramster.

Ooph!

yeah, this one above really got me.

It's not just that we got only 1 bid but the seed of the best Team in the A10 was a depressing 12-seed. Just terrible.

Don't worry, she is working on adding a 16th team and moving Headquarters to Washington DC.

The timing of this Conference continuing to weaken is not good.

I can't argue with her statement. Have to agree that nobody is in any type of panic mode. Not even close to panic. Staying the course with what they are doing strategically is interesting. Didn't realize there was a strategy.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

For someone that doesn't give a rat's ass either way you certainly spend a lot of time defending her, responding to every single negative post
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I believe UMass is already in the FBS and competes as an independent.
Which unfortunately has been a disaster for them.
They brought back coach Don Brown in 2021, who had previous success at UMass, and known as a defensive guru.

If they even want to maintain football, returning to the MAC might make some sense after being snubbed by the AAC and C-USA. But again, on the condition they would have to be a full-time sports member.

Don't know if that would be a good thing or bad thing for them in the long-run.
My thought is that if successful they can parlay that to an eventual invitation to the AAC or C-USA.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago

For someone that doesn't give a rat's ass either way you certainly spend a lot of time defending her, responding to every single negative post
Not every one, let several go by :)
Just kills a little time for me.
Besides, when I get quoted or questioned, I feel obligated to respond.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is bullshit
Just own it
You have defended McGlade to no end, whenever her name comes up.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That is bullshit
Just own it
Only when I felt some of the accusations were over the top.

OMG, just give it a rest already.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is bullshit
Just own it

You never qualified it before by saying you only defended her only "when accusations were over the top."

Your statement "Just kills a little time for me." Says it all.
Clearly you and I are far, far apart on the quality of Leadership of the A10 as well as the current state of the A10. It's fine to disagree and it's fine to strongly disagree.

Simple as that. Rest granted. Done. Moved on.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That is bullshit
Just own it

You never qualified it before by saying you only defended her only "when accusations were over the top."

Clearly you and I are far, far apart on the quality of Leadership of the A10 as well as the current state of the A10. It's fine to disagree and it's fine to strongly disagree.

Okay we agree to disagree on those topics.

Just a parting note that if the A10 President's Council decide to move on from McGlade prior to her voluntary retirement (whenever that is), I am good with that also.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just a parting note that if the A10 President's Council decide to move on from McGlade prior to her voluntary retirement (whenever that is), I am good with that also.
Why would you be good with that?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Because that is above my pay grade, and they are much smarter than me regarding the workings of the conference.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Because that is above my pay grade, and they are much smarter than me regarding the workings of the conference.
Who are on the A10 President's Council? How many are there?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Who are on the A10 President's Council? How many are there?
I assume it consists of the A10 member school presidents.
I know that Dr. Mark Reed has been the chair of the council, both when he was president of St. Joe's and currently as president of Loyola/Chicago. Interesting.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Those McGlade quotes are the cherry on top for me.

How can you say "outlier" when it's a clear trend? The outlier was 2014 when we got 6 teams.

That was when teams had players that were recruited to play in a league that had Butler, Xavier, and Temple. That is no more.

Seeding and number of teams have been in a downward trend. Things the league can control that are not helping:

Adding weak teams to an already weak bottom half of the conference.
Scheduling that has those weak teams bringing down the good teams.
No requirements for member schools to invest a certain amount in facilities or coaches.
No requirements for OOC scheduling (Fordham's super awesome turn-around included an OOC SOS outside of the top 300 with TEN Q4 games).
No perks for NCAA teams like increased share of credits they earn.
The lowest amount of nationally televised games in history.
A non-existent social media presence or engagement.

Here's a wild idea - if you have an OOC SOS that ranks outside of the top 250 (outside of Fordham's 303 no one was outside of the top 200), you get a decreased NCAA share for that season.

DO ANYTHING TO INNOVATE.

"Stay the course" = LMAO.

Like yes, do the other teams need to win their games in the OOC? Absolutely.

But what the battleaxe doesn't seem to understand, is that a bunch of bad teams on the schedule of good teams, brings the NET score down for everyone.

It's why DePaul can have a 10-23 record, yet be #163 in NET, but La Salle went 15-19 and was 223.

Fordham won 25 games, people celebrated like they had turned it all around...yet they still finished nowhere close to a postseason berth.

LIke, yes...all we should worry about is winning. But if your conference is full of Q4 teams...just playing them hurts you. Maybe by year 20 Bernadette will start to realize we might need to do something different.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Seems like the desire to add stronger teams to A-10 conference vacancies as they occur is for sure difficult. Like for me, why would stronger teams want to join the A-10? Maybe McGlade and others viewed Loyola as a “strong” team?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 7 months ago Seems like the desire to add stronger teams to A-10 conference vacancies as they occur is for sure difficult. Like for me, why would stronger teams want to join the A-10? Maybe McGlade and others viewed Loyola as a “strong” team?
I'd rather the A10 got down to 10 teams like the name implies.

Fordham, La Salle, Duquesne, GW, and George Mason are dead weight.

At least Loyola has made some investments - despite the fact that they're the worst of the bunch. What basketball players want to go to a tiny incredibly difficult academic school like Loyola? 1/3 of our conference is trash and never getting better.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 7 months ago Those McGlade quotes are the cherry on top for me.

How can you say "outlier" when it's a clear trend? The outlier was 2014 when we got 6 teams.

That was when teams had players that were recruited to play in a league that had Butler, Xavier, and Temple. That is no more.

Seeding and number of teams have been in a downward trend. Things the league can control that are not helping:

No requirements for member schools to invest a certain amount in facilities or coaches.
No requirements for OOC scheduling (Fordham's super awesome turn-around included an OOC SOS outside of the top 300 with TEN Q4 games).

Here's a wild idea - if you have an OOC SOS that ranks outside of the top 250 (outside of Fordham's 303 no one was outside of the top 200), you get a decreased NCAA share for that season.

DO ANYTHING TO INNOVATE.

But what the battleaxe doesn't seem to understand, is that a bunch of bad teams on the schedule of good teams, brings the NET score down for everyone.

It's why DePaul can have a 10-23 record, yet be #163 in NET, but La Salle went 15-19 and was 223.

Fordham won 25 games, people celebrated like they had turned it all around...yet they still finished nowhere close to a postseason berth.

LIke, yes...all we should worry about is winning. But if your conference is full of Q4 teams...just playing them hurts you. Maybe by year 20 Bernadette will start to realize we might need to do something different.
But, but... she's the leading rebounder in UNC history!
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 7 months ago

DO ANYTHING TO INNOVATE.

In fairness to Jersey, that line was in response to someone saying she doesn't understand the game of basketball (on court knowledge) - which is a different argument from whether she understands the current landscape of the sport (which is entirely off the court).
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 7 months ago

DO ANYTHING TO INNOVATE.

In fairness to Jersey, that line was in response to someone saying she doesn't understand the game of basketball (on court knowledge) - which is a different argument from whether she understands the current landscape of the sport (which is entirely off the court).
Thank you, I was just responding
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

If UMass leaves for all sports due to football, that would suck. But, at least we’d have a good opportunity of an OOC game with them…unless they pull a UConn on us.

I am really starting to hate college football for screwing with basketball.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass joining the MAC will give their sorry FBS football program a home but I doubt residents of MA will ever have much interest in seeing the Minutemen play a bunch of Midwestern teams in any sport.

If UMass leaves, I have no issue with URI scheduling them in OOC games in men's hoops. With PC and Brown always on the schedule, I do not think we need to do the same playing Mass every season. I however would like to continue to play them on a fairly regular basis. Something like two to three home and home series each decade would work for me
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago UMass joining the MAC will give their sorry FBS football program a home but I doubt residents of MA will ever have much interest in seeing the Minutemen play a bunch of Midwestern teams in any sport.

If UMass leaves, I have no issue with URI scheduling them in OOC games in men's hoops. With PC and Brown always on the schedule, I do not think we need to do the same playing Mass every season. I however would like to continue to play them on a fairly regular basis. Something like two to three home and home series each decade would work for me
Sounds like they're doing football only. Can't imagine UMass would support a significant downgrade in basketball play.

It's not like it's the Big XII and they'd get a bump in both sports.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 7 months ago
RF1 wrote: 7 months ago UMass joining the MAC will give their sorry FBS football program a home but I doubt residents of MA will ever have much interest in seeing the Minutemen play a bunch of Midwestern teams in any sport.

Sounds like they're doing football only. Can't imagine UMass would support a significant downgrade in basketball play.

It's not like it's the Big XII and they'd get a bump in both sports.
Don’t think so Blue Man. After the 2015 season UMass left the MAC because they were told to either become a full-time member or goodbye.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Basically, UMass and Delaware will be playing at least 4 out of the 5 road games, possibly all 5 depending on where their annual head to head meeting is scheduled, in either Ohio or Michigan.

Better get those frequent flyer miles up to date.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago Basically, UMass and Delaware will be playing at least 4 out of the 5 road games, possibly all 5 depending on where their annual head to head meeting is scheduled, in either Ohio or Michigan.

Better get those frequent flyer miles up to date.
Just like all FBS Schools
1 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Was told by a well connected big donor that CUSA wanted UConn and UMass football only but both presidents said no because of the type of institutional quality in CUSA. The MAC makes the most geographic sense. Their basketball will not be as deep as the A10, but Kent State, who was in the NCAA last season was in the Elite 8 in 2002. Ohio was in the Sweet Sixteen in 2012. Deep runs are extremely rare but possible.

My take is finances will drive this. The MAC makes roughly 36M and rising and the A10 around 25M and contracting. Time will tell and Delaware is worthy. Wish UConn would go with us as a FB only and us all sports and URI could muster serious football support and be on the wait list when UConn departs.

Dreaming yes, but were are we without our dreams. Staying in the 'Poor Man's Big East'* is rough.
Look at the A10 Wiki of the current members and the type of institution*.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_10_Conference
0 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

FYI

Matt Brown is pretty well respected. DanSteenkamer is a Delaware student reporter and Schadenfreude is a MAC poster
MattBrownEP wrote:
DanSteenkamer wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:
CUSA is what I would classify as a nonstarter, as Matt Brown does/did, for similar reasons (probably more so). If you're giving up rubbing academic all-sports shoulders with W&M, Northeastern, Stony Brook... I can really only see the MAC institutions being the next stop. (Excluding the AAC given its security at the moment, disposition against adding directly from FCS, and its eyes on West Point chiefly).

I know I'm my own journalist/reporter and I'm just asking to be scooped (whether there is red-alert movement on this or not), but I'm pulling for an Extra Points newsletter address of this story/thread. I know I'm the student covering or living it every day, but Delaware has a certain number of cards in the G5 NE deck depending on MAC's stance and say, UMass.
If I can't share everything I know this week, I'll do it early next week. Was trying to combine it with what else I can track down about the WCC and A10 situations.
Thanks Matt, will be interesting to hear as UMass has been looking for a football home and of course we are in the A10. The A10 primary media, ESPN contract extension expires this sports year.

Delaware fan shared this post from their mid 90's game and dissed UMAss and the A10.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Steve81 wrote: 7 months ago
Was told by a well connected big donor that CUSA wanted UConn and UMass football only but both presidents said no because of the type of institutional quality in CUSA. The MAC makes the most geographic sense. Their basketball will not be as deep as the A10, but Kent State, who was in the NCAA last season was in the Elite 8 in 2002. Ohio was in the Sweet Sixteen in 2012. Deep runs are extremely rare but possible.

My take is finances will drive this. The MAC makes roughly 36M and rising and the A10 around 25M and contracting. Time will tell and Delaware is worthy. Wish UConn would go with us as a FB only and us all sports and URI could muster serious football support and be on the wait list when UConn departs.

Dreaming yes, but were are we without our dreams. Staying in the 'Poor Man's Big East'* is rough.
Look at the A10 Wiki of the current members and the type of institution*.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_10_Conference
The A10 doesn't have football.
0 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

We'd need a partner to join the MAC whether it was all sports or even FB only. The later has been tried, do idk.
Matt Brown
@MattBrownEP
I've actually been making calls about this for *weeks*, and hope to have more to share by the end of this week. Been also calling about the A10 and also Delaware, and should have enough sourced info for a big realignment newsletter by Friday
related Tweet,X
Last edited by Steve81 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Steve81 wrote: 7 months ago We'd need a partner to join the MAC whether it was all sports or even FB only. The later has been tried, do idk.
Matt Brown
@MattBrownEP
I've actually been making calls about this for *weeks*, and hope to have more to share by the end of this week. Been also calling about the A10 and also Delaware, and should have enough sourced info for a big realignment newsletter by Friday
I think you are on the wrong forum?
0 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Idk, this is a conference realignment thread and Matt Brown is talking about College of Charleston and Delaware. The former directly related to the A10 and the later with Delaware could be connected if they partner with us to the MAC. They are not the only option.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

As far as conference realignment goes I think URI’s ceiling is Big East for all sports except football ( staying in CAA ) and the floor could be a very watered down A-10 in all sports except football.

Just to be clear Football belongs in the CAA with updates to stadium. URI going FBS is like me winning the powerball.
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

But I do think all there sports including men’s and women’s basketball could compete in the big east.
URI would have to make themselves attractive and wheel and deal.
With that said, that is the absolute best case for URI.
But I have a bad feeling a watered down A-10 and 1 bid NCAA is more likely to happen.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 7 months ago

Thank you, I was just responding
It's refreshing to see that sarcasm can draw multiple responses. Kinda restores one's faith in, um, ...sarcasm :lol:
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

URI will never be invited to the Big East. Period!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 7 months ago URI will never be invited to the Big East. Period!
______ ^^^ not sarcasm
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Why would the BE want URI?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 7 months ago Why would the BE want URI?
They don't.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhodysk wrote: 7 months ago As far as conference realignment goes I think URI’s ceiling is Big East for all sports except football ( staying in CAA ) and the floor could be a very watered down A-10 in all sports except football.

Just to be clear Football belongs in the CAA with updates to stadium. URI going FBS is like me winning the powerball.
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

But I do think all there sports including men’s and women’s basketball could compete in the big east.
URI would have to make themselves attractive and wheel and deal.
With that said, that is the absolute best case for URI.
But I have a bad feeling a watered down A-10 and 1 bid NCAA is more likely to happen.
Well put, sk. I think this is a very objective summary of the bands of possibilities URI faces in this re-alignment scenario. Whether the Big East is a possibility for URI is not the point, the point is that it is the ceiling and the floor is a watered down A-10. Now between floor-ceiling poles is the most probable development and that may be closer to the floor than the ceiling. Stayed tuned.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Will URI continue to invest in URI basketball at this level in a 1 bid A10? Will most of the teams except the few with aspirations beyond the A10, reduce their commitments? I would think many would say why continue to invest at this level with a 1 in 100 chance of making the NCAA after this commissioner is done adding teams.
1 x