Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jeff Dowtin NBA Player

Unread post by McRam »

Hasn’t Dowtin used up his “eligibility” for two way player. Thought it was limited to two years??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Van Fleet signed with Houston. Wonder how that might affect Jeff and the Raptors.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Raps sign Schroeder to replace FVV , hopefully a backup roll for JD ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

ramster wrote: 9 months ago Hope Raptors don't get this PG

https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/07/19/r ... o-dosunmu/
They did not, he resigned with the bulls. Hopefully good news for Jeff.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... -$21M-Deal

Old friend Tyrese Martin was released today by the Hawks. That is disappointing.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... ese-Martin
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hawks didn’t want to pay Tyrese guarantee of 1.7 M don’t blame them

Maybe he gets a 2 way somewhere else or signs overseas ??
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 9 months ago Hawks didn’t want to pay Tyrese guarantee of 1.7 M don’t blame them

Maybe he gets a 2 way somewhere else or signs overseas ??
I always thought Tyrese was a solid player but not good enough for the NBA. His release doesn't surprise me.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

6 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Show them, Jeff! Let’s goooooooo
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 7 months ago
From what I understand, this only triggers if the Raptors cut Jeff - still an opportunity to make the roster.
2 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

This should answer a lot of questions. Will have a quick interview with Mike again based on the breaking news today.

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Update on Jeff's battle to make Toronto Roster with new head Coach

https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/10/12/w ... ic-praise/
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very interesting and if he gets cut then Philly a likely landing spot
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Would love to see him land with the Celts to be paired with Pritchard. He’d be a very good, inexpensive bench piece for the Celts.

I may be biased when it comes to Jeff but I am trying to be as objective as possible here - it just makes sense.

However, if he leaves Toronto then he probably ends up back with his old HC. And, that’s a good spot, too.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys,

I am doing another podcast with Mike Luciano who writes for the Raptor's Rapture.

If you guys have any questions that would be great.

Thanks

Scott Brand
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

How about, "what kind of name is 'Raptor's Rapture'? Anyway?"
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sbrand wrote: 6 months ago Hey guys,

I am doing another podcast with Mike Luciano who writes for the Raptor's Rapture.

Thanks

Scott Brand
What is his gut feel if JD is going to make the roster or not ??

If he does get cut is Philly and Coach Nurse a possible landing spot ?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jeff played 8 minutes tonight vs team from Australia
Solid numbers scoring 8 points in 8 minutes with perfect shooting
IMG_0308.png
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

The problem with that box score is that the guy he is trying to replace is Malachi Flynn who played 17 minutes, shot 4-7, 2-3 from 3, 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 10 points.

What is also troublesome is that Flynn has a guaranteed contract so they would have to release him and eat his salary to make room for Jeff.

Does anyone know the depth chart for point guards on the 76ers?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

sbrand wrote: 6 months ago The problem with that box score is that the guy he is trying to replace is Malachi Flynn who played 17 minutes, shot 4-7, 2-3 from 3, 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 10 points.

What is also troublesome is that Flynn has a guaranteed contract so they would have to release him and eat his salary to make room for Jeff.

Does anyone know the depth chart for point guards on the 76ers?
James Harden has played both shooting guard and PG, of course who knows his situation, requested a trade.
Patrick Beverly just signed with them this summer.
De'Anthony Melton started 58 games (22-23) averaged 10.3 pts/ 2.6 assists.
Tyrone Maxey started 41 games last season averaged 20.3 pts/3.5 assists.
Terquavion Smith undrafted free agent signed a two-way contract.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks Jersey. I wonder out of that lot, who is a 1 besides Harden and Beverly. I think David Duke is on that roster too.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 6 months ago Thanks Jersey. I wonder out of that lot, who is a 1 besides Harden and Beverly. I think David Duke is on that roster too.
He is but more of a CG, not sure how much of a role he will have.
Last edited by Jersey77 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

The honest truth is, Jeff is a fantastic point guard and a great floor general. However, he's way too limited on the offensive end to secure a spot on an NBA roster. He's doing the smart thing by trying to become a lockdown defender who outworks his opponents, but he's never relied on his speed and athleticism; instead, he's excelled due to his incredible IQ. I don’t think he’s quick enough to stick with some of these guards in the NBA.

Raptors don’t have a strong backcourt and Jeff won’t even see the floor. Dennis Schroder is their best point guard. However they love to have Scottie play the point as well… I would be absolutely shocked if Philly signed Jeff. They don't need him, as they are already deep in the guard position, and they already have a guard on a two-way contract in Traquavion Smith, who's an incredibly good scorer, much like Bones Hyland.

The NBA prioritizes scoring and shooters, which unfortunately isn't Jeff's strength. They also want younger players. Jeff played four years of college basketball. Teams aren’t looking for 26 year old two way point guards. For example T. Smith is only 20.

He could, and likely will, make a lot of money if he decides to play overseas. I love that’s he’s done everything humanly possible to be an NBA point guard but it’s arguably the hardest league in the world to make. I hope I’m wrong and he has a big role this year.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Does Philly have another two way player. Also are all the players signed to guaranteed contracts on Philly?

The thing with Jeff is last year he was not the last player off the bench but was a part of the rotation and all the Toronto decision makers have indicated that he is a part of the program.

Also the fans love him.

Now Malachi Smith is all over the place playing one on one and has not shot well.

Everyone would prefer JD over Malachi.

It might come down to a financial decision.

Malachi is considered a big disappointment. This will be his fourth year and he is one year younger than Jeff.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago The honest truth is, Jeff is a fantastic point guard and a great floor general. However, he's way too limited on the offensive end to secure a spot on an NBA roster. He's doing the smart thing by trying to become a lockdown defender who outworks his opponents, but he's never relied on his speed and athleticism; instead, he's excelled due to his incredible IQ. I don’t think he’s quick enough to stick with some of these guards in the NBA.

Raptors don’t have a strong backcourt and Jeff won’t even see the floor. Dennis Schroder is their best point guard. However they love to have Scottie play the point as well… I would be absolutely shocked if Philly signed Jeff. They don't need him, as they are already deep in the guard position, and they already have a guard on a two-way contract in Traquavion Smith, who's an incredibly good scorer, much like Bones Hyland.

The NBA prioritizes scoring and shooters, which unfortunately isn't Jeff's strength. They also want younger players. Jeff played four years of college basketball. Teams aren’t looking for 26 year old two way point guards. For example T. Smith is only 20.

He could, and likely will, make a lot of money if he decides to play overseas. I love that’s he’s done everything humanly possible to be an NBA point guard but it’s arguably the hardest league in the world to make. I hope I’m wrong and he has a big role this year.
Well said Stevie , totally agree
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Does Philly have another two way player. Also are all the players signed to guaranteed contracts.

The thing with Jeff is last year he was not the last player off the bench but was a part of the rotation and all the Toronto decision makers have indicated that he is a part of the program.

Also the fans love him and Malachi Smith is all over the place playing one on one.

Everyone would prefer JD over Malachi.

It might come down to a financial decision.

Malachi is considered a big disappointment.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This article published today does an excellent job of describing the numerous possible options for Jeff in the coming weeks

The curious case of Jeff Dowtin Jr. and his contract status with the Raptors
Blake Murphy |
October 16, 2023, 12:01 PM

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/th ... e-raptors/
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 6 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago The honest truth is, Jeff is a fantastic point guard and a great floor general. However, he's way too limited on the offensive end to secure a spot on an NBA roster. He's doing the smart thing by trying to become a lockdown defender who outworks his opponents, but he's never relied on his speed and athleticism; instead, he's excelled due to his incredible IQ. I don’t think he’s quick enough to stick with some of these guards in the NBA.

Sorry but I don't agree that "he is way too limited offensively to make a NBA roster."

I think Jeff will make an NBA Roster this season. If not Toronto, he could land at another NBA Team this season.

Having followed the Toronto Message Board last season, this summer and now this fall it's pretty clear that many Toronto fans like Jeff's game. The like his passing, quick decision making, leadership, defense, poise, ability to see the whole floor and involve teammates. All talents Jeff exhibited at URI but Toronto and other NBA teams see Jeff as a PG, a position David Cox took away from Jeff.

I'd guess 80% chance Jeff is on a NBA Roster this season and if not he will be very good in G League continuing to knock hard on the NBA Door.

IMG_0316.jpeg
IMG_0315.jpeg
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago

Sorry but I don't agree that "he is way too limited offensively to make a NBA roster."

I think Jeff will make an NBA Roster this season. If not Toronto, he could land at another NBA Team this season.

Having followed the Toronto Message Board last season, this summer and now this fall it's pretty clear that many Toronto fans like Jeff's game. The like his passing, quick decision making, leadership, defense, poise, ability to see the whole floor and involve teammates. All talents Jeff exhibited at URI but Toronto and other NBA teams see Jeff as a PG, a position David Cox took away from Jeff.

I'd guess 80% chance Jeff is on a NBA Roster this season and if not he will be very good in G League continuing to knock hard on the NBA Door.

IMG_0316.jpegIMG_0315.jpeg
I don't know how much you watched him last year, but I have an NBA League Pass, and I tried to watch as many Raptors games as possible last year. Usually, I could since I'm a Lakers fan, and the Raptors would play earlier. I did this for two reasons: one, because I have Scottie Barnes on my fantasy team, and two, because Jeff got some playing time randomly. He didn't see the floor much, but when he did, Jeff ran the offense well and worked hard on the defensive end. However, he has real issues creating space against NBA-level guards. He lacks a good enough 3-point shot, and due to the speed, length, strength, and talent of the players he went up against, he missed shots that he would usually make in college and the much easier G League.

Anyone who follows Jeff knows that he became a fan favorite among Raptors fans. Jeff makes winning plays. He has a high IQ and does the things you love to see from your point guard. I believe he can run the offense well for any team. The problem is if he were to get a bigger role where they needed to rely on him to shoot the 3 well and score consistently, he would have issues.

The transition to the NBA is often too challenging for most G League players. For instance, I have a friend who was the D-League MVP, and he was signed to play as a backup on teams like Ind and Pho. He told me that the talent gap was incredibly difficult to bridge, and he eventually found success and made good money playing overseas.

Xavier Munford put up massive G league numbers, and he actually had a shot at having a real role with Memphis after they had a bunch of injuries. He played as well as he could, but like Jeff, it was clear that the NBA was a different animal, and he wasn't good enough to stick around. JT dealt with the same thing. I can name plenty of others..

The Raptors arguably have the worst point guard rotation in the NBA. If Jeff can't get minutes on this roster, can you name a team where he could find a role? The truth is, this was probably his best opportunity after Fred VanVleet left... When I say 'secure a spot,' I mean that I don't believe Jeff will have a consistent role on an NBA roster throughout the entire season. Instead, I think he'll continue functioning as a two-way player, splitting his time between the G League and occasional NBA games. Which, by the way, is still an absolutely incredible achievement.
Last edited by steveystuds06 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago

IMG_0316.jpegIMG_0315.jpeg
I don't know how much you watched him last year, but I have an NBA League Pass, and I tried to watch as many Raptors games as possible last year. Usually, I could since I'm a Lakers fan, and the Raptors would play earlier. I did this for two reasons: one, because I have Scottie Barnes on my fantasy team, and two, because Jeff got some playing time randomly. He didn't see the floor much, but when he did, Jeff ran the offense well and worked hard on the defensive end. However, he has real issues creating space against NBA-level guards. He lacks a good enough 3-point shot, and due to the speed, length, strength, and talent of the players he went up against, he missed shots that he would usually make in college and the much easier G League.

Anyone who follows Jeff knows that he became a fan favorite among Raptors fans. Jeff makes winning plays. He has a high IQ and does the things you love to see from your point guard. I believe he can run the offense well for any team. The problem is if he were to get a bigger role where they needed to rely on him to shoot the 3 well and score consistently, he would have issues.

The transition to the NBA is often too challenging for most G League players. For instance, I have a friend who was the D-League MVP, and he was signed to play behind on teams like Ind and Pho. He told me that the talent gap was incredibly difficult to bridge, and he eventually found success and made good money playing overseas.

Xavier Munford put up massive G league numbers, and he actually had a shot at having a real role with Memphis after they had a bunch of injuries. He played as well as he could, but like Jeff, it was clear that the NBA was a different animal, and he wasn't good enough to stick around. JT dealt with the same thing. I can name plenty of others..

The Raptors arguably have the worst point guard rotation in the NBA. If Jeff can't get minutes on this roster, can you name a team where he could find a role? The truth is, this was probably his best opportunity after Fred VanVleet left... When I say 'secure a spot,' I mean that I don't believe Jeff will have a consistent role on an NBA roster throughout the entire season. Instead, I think he'll continue functioning as a two-way player, splitting his time between the G League and occasional NBA games. Which, by the way, is still an absolutely incredible achievement.
Stevey, I agree with you about Jeff, Toronto, and making it in the NBA.
We all hope of course that he can stick with a team.
Jeff being such a great guy, makes it easy to root for him.

Still if he can, getting a two-way contract isn't a bad gig at $560,000.00 min.
Though that isn't exactly easy either.

For the long-term playing overseas isn't a bad option.

Jeff being very smart and having a high basketball IQ, I could see him coaching someday if he wants to go that route.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

A lot of it is getting the right opportunity with the right team , I feel JD can play in the league but if it doesn’t work out this year there is always overseas
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

If this writer is accurate and Dowtin masters the Point 5 system he has a fighting chance of making the Raptors. It’s not an easy system to grasp and this can push him past Malachi Flynn.

There is a reason Dowtin made the rotation so late in the season last year. He has a very specific skill-set that gives him an edge over his gleague predecessors.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks

Scott Brand
Scott,

Some raise the question why doesn't Jeff just go overseas where he can make more money?

So if Mike, or you at some point, get the opportunity it would be nice to know why Jeff continues to pursue the NBA as opposed to going professional overseas?

My guess is that Jeff is very close to his family and he likes playing in the US. The G-League has opened up more opportunities for players to make money playing in The US. Jeff also believes he can make it in the NBA. Would be interesting to hear straight from him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0320.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,
Not sure if Mike is aware of Jeff's History but one game that really sticks out for me is when Jeff was a freshman and he scored a career high and game high 23 points on 6-8 FG and 10-10 FT as 11th seed URI defeated 6th seed BE Creighton in Sacramento for URI's 1st NCAA win this century and since Jim Harrick.

Credit to Dan Hurley for developing Jeff and moving him into a starting role his Freshmen year and on such a talented and deep team.

EC Mathews also hit 10-10 FTs in that Creighton victory.

IMG_0319.png
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Here is an article from an aggregator. My take is there are other teams that may need Jeff and if Malachi Flynn is a bust they can waive him and sign Jeff to a standard contract. He can also sign another two way with the Raptors if they release him and gets paid another 500K.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/10/rap ... flynn.html
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

sbrand wrote: 6 months ago Here is an article from an aggregator. My take is there are other teams that may need Jeff and if Malachi Flynn is a bust they can waive him and sign Jeff to a standard contract. He can also sign another two way with the Raptors if they release him and gets paid another 500K.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/10/rap ... flynn.html
Can he sign a two way with the Raptors? I thought the 76ers owned his G League rights?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Thanks

Scott Brand
Scott,

Some raise the question why doesn't Jeff just go overseas where he can make more money?

So if Mike, or you at some point, get the opportunity it would be nice to know why Jeff continues to pursue the NBA as opposed to going professional overseas?

My guess is that Jeff is very close to his family and he likes playing in the US. The G-League has opened up more opportunities for players to make money playing in The US. Jeff also believes he can make it in the NBA. Would be interesting to hear straight from him.
While Dowtin is probably sacrificing some upfront money by playing in the G-League vs. immediately going to Europe or Asia, it probably helps his long-term viability. He'll make more on his initial foreign contracts as a guy who's got some (limited) NBA experience and likely be able to land in a higher quality league. I also think that the money gap has narrowed somewhat - two way NBA contracts and G-League deals have increased in value slightly, and plenty of Euro teams no longer pay out the nose for U.S. talent, because they've been able to retain more "homegrown" talent.
2 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

If Toronto waives him they can offer him another two-way contract.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awful night just awful

Jeff DNP in a 134-98 win over Washington

Flynn. 13-5-3 in 20 minutes
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jeff got waived by Toronto

Dowtin’s G League rights are now in possession of the Delaware Blue Coats, the affiliate of Nick Nurse’s Philadelphia 76ers. Losing him to a hated rival’s developmental system is on the table if Dowtin doesn’t sign in China or Europe before the start of the G League season.

Between their refusal to give Dowtin a guaranteed contract, unwillingness to sign him to a proper NBA contract at the end of last season despite the fact he was getting rotation minutes, and general inability to reward him for his play, Dowtin would have every right to be a bit perturbed with how this went down.

IMG_0355.png

https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/10/21/r ... v2-En3d84J
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Jeff got waived by Toronto

Dowtin’s G League rights are now in possession of the Delaware Blue Coats, the affiliate of Nick Nurse’s Philadelphia 76ers. Losing him to a hated rival’s developmental system is on the table if Dowtin doesn’t sign in China or Europe before the start of the G League season.

Between their refusal to give Dowtin a guaranteed contract, unwillingness to sign him to a proper NBA contract at the end of last season despite the fact he was getting rotation minutes, and general inability to reward him for his play, Dowtin would have every right to be a bit perturbed with how this went down.

IMG_0355.png

https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/10/21/r ... v2-En3d84J
Not surprising considering what we have been hearing lately.
I think the average G league salary is about $40,000 (5 mos, including housing/expenses), not even close to what he was making on a two-way contract.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It seems like every Raptors fan in the comments wants Jeff and their beat writers.

Like they've basically begged the Raptors to just keep him on the roster because of the kind of player he is.

Someone sign him dang it!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago It seems like every Raptors fan in the comments wants Jeff and their beat writers.

Like they've basically begged the Raptors to just keep him on the roster because of the kind of player he is.

Someone sign him dang it!
Correct. Jeff has gained a lot of respect from Toronto fans and Beat Writers.
Jeff can go to G-League Delaware but this could be a good opportunity for Jeff to land with another organization.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seemed like the coaching change didn’t help Jeff @ all with Toronto
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

After Friday’s win over the Atlanta Hawks in the preseason finale, the Sixers announced that are waiving undrafted rookie Ricky Council IV and David Duke Jr. Council was on a two-way deal. Duke was on an Exhibit 10 deal.

One has to assume the two will end up with Philadelphia’s G League affiliate, the Delaware Blue Coats. Council offers a great deal of athleticism while Duke has NBA experience and has shown he can shoot.

Duke, Council and Dowtin now all on Delaware
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Jeff got waived by Toronto

Echoes of his URI career. Two great URI seasons, then disposed of by a new coach.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.