A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 7 months ago After reading all the team write-ups from Blue Ribbon, I think we will finish .500 in A10 play. 9-9 is my prediction. Obviously, that can change the more I watch this team, but based on our schedule, I think we have a shot to win 9-10 games. If that happens, I think we will finish right around 7th-8th this year. I would be very happy with that for this season.
Stevey you are a little more optimistic than me regarding this season, but we are pretty close.
9 wins would be on the slightly higher side of my initial thoughts, and I also feel that if Archie can pull that off and keep the core players, it should set us up well going into 24-25.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1st Team
Ace Baldwin - VCU Offensive AND Defensive POY - Transferred to Penn State
Toumani Camara - Dayton - Went Pro a year early
DaRon Holmes II - Dayton
Josh Oduro - George Mason - Transferred to PC
James Bishop IV - George Washington
Yuri Collins - Saint Louis - Graduated

2nd Team
Foster Loyer - Davidson - Graduated
Dae Dae Grant - Duquesne
Darius Quisenberry - Fordham - Graduated
Tyler Burton - Richmond - Transferred to Villanova
Erik Reynolds II - Saint Joseph’s
Gibson Jimerson - Saint Louis

3rd Team
Sam Mennenga - Davidson - Left early to play in New Zealand
Khalid Moore - Fordham - Graduated
Daryl Banks III - St. Bonaventure
Jalen DeLoach - VCU - Transferred to Georgia
Brandon Johns Jr. - VCU - Graduated
Brendon Adams - GW - Graduated

All Rookie
Mike Sharavjamts - Dayton - Transferred to San Francisco
Ben Schwieger - Loyola Chicago
RJ Luis - Massachusetts - Transferred to St Johns
Yann Farell - St. Bonaventure
Maximus Edwards -GW

Summary of 18 All Conference Players:
  • 6 return to play this season

• 6 Graduated

• 4 Transferred to P6

• 2 left early to play pro

Summary of 5 All Rookie Players:
  • 3 return to play this season

• 2 Transferred
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Wait I thought the entire basketball world changed and good players don’t return to mid major schools ? I thought the key to success was 12 in and 12 out every year ?
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 7 months ago Wait I thought the entire basketball world changed and good players don’t return to mid major schools ? I thought the key to success was 12 in and 12 out every year ?
50% of the all conference players who could return, transferred or went pro.

40% of all rookie team transferred.

Doubt it was that high before the portal era.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 7 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 7 months ago Wait I thought the entire basketball world changed and good players don’t return to mid major schools ? I thought the key to success was 12 in and 12 out every year ?

Of course freedom of movement is going to make it more fluid. It’s just not the sky is falling scenario some make it out to be. 6 players were good enough to be all conf and still decided to return. Great coaches will retain players.

And if the ncaa gets consistent on their sit out rule on a 2nd transfer then it will slow down a bit and look like less of a deviation from before.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 7 months ago
Shouldn’t have come as a shock, not surprised
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago
Jay Bilas and Joe Bamisile don't see it that way
Guy already transferred once from GW for mental issues but now wants to come home to be with his father who has documented major surgeries 8 miles from the VCU campus and it gets rejected?

NCAA goes from 1 extreme where transfers are granted for most anything to now not approving this? Not sure how the NCAA can approve many others if they can't approve a father having had open heart surgery, plus 2 major Heath scares since and lives 8 miles from VCU campus.

Hopefully his appeal goes to somebody with a heart.

And he gets a good lawyer

C41BE485-30F8-4CC7-B05A-F8A0EDFB26E5.png
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago
Guy already transferred once from GW for mental issues but now wants to come home to be with his father who has documented major surgeries 8 miles from the VCU campus and it gets rejected?

NCAA goes from 1 extreme where transfers are granted for most anything to now not approving this? Not sure how the NCAA can approve many others if they can't approve a father having had open heart surgery, plus 2 major Heath scares since and lives 8 miles from VCU campus.

I can definitely understand their point, but the NCAA is difficult to understand. If he got denied, how much of a chance does Green have?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 7 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 7 months ago After reading all the team write-ups from Blue Ribbon, I think we will finish .500 in A10 play. 9-9 is my prediction. Obviously, that can change the more I watch this team, but based on our schedule, I think we have a shot to win 9-10 games. If that happens, I think we will finish right around 7th-8th this year. I would be very happy with that for this season.
Agreed, that's right about where I think we'll end up as well. It would definitely be a step in the right direction. Then we need to be in that Top 4 mix the following year.
I’m similar Will guess 10-8 Conf
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I can definitely understand their point, but the NCAA is difficult to understand. If he got denied, how much of a chance does Green have?
What is Green's basis for asking for a waiver?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So where does everyone think the A10 will rank this year? We had 3 teams top 100, none in the top 50. We had 5 teams 100-199 and we had 7 teams 200+. That was horrendous. But I'm guessing the NET starts us out where we all finished. Doesn't bode well.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Tbr, I will take a stab at your question…

I am guessing 10th-12th place in conf NET. The one auto bid and maybe one at-large bid if the conf catches some breaks. No NCAAT seeding bump over last year.

Stay the course! (refer to pg 16 of the realignment thread for the reference) :lol: ETA: the A10’s new battle cry.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 7 months ago

Of course freedom of movement is going to make it more fluid. It’s just not the sky is falling scenario some make it out to be. 6 players were good enough to be all conf and still decided to return. Great coaches will retain players.

And if the ncaa gets consistent on their sit out rule on a 2nd transfer then it will slow down a bit and look like less of a deviation from before.
Agree on the second transfer thing...if that gets more stringently enforced, it could flatten the curve
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

And some of the players that stayed this year might transfer next year...just the reality right now.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 7 months ago So where does everyone think the A10 will rank this year? We had 3 teams top 100, none in the top 50. We had 5 teams 100-199 and we had 7 teams 200+. That was horrendous. But I'm guessing the NET starts us out where we all finished. Doesn't bode well.
I’m thinking similar to last year maybe slightly better

I’m also thinking 1 bid again most likely
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think I’m ok with a system where there is a one-time free transfer and there is a no exceptions one year sit period on any subsequent transfers. Sitting out a year is not a draconian punishment. It had been the way transfers worked by default for decades, with some rare exceptions. If the trade off is we will no longer make people sit at all ever the first time but we’re also doing away with exceptions on subsequent transfers that honestly seems fine to me.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Like I said, I do understand his reasoning and disappointment.
But still, 4 schools in 4 years and he did receive a waiver because of mental issues last season.
Take this season off and spend more time with his ill father.
He would still have 2 seasons of eligibility left starting in 24-25 (additional Covid year 20-21)

Others awaiting news:
Woody Newton (GM) may have a shot at a waiver because of the death of his father and moving back home.
Jalen Haynes(GM), probably would be one of the most impactful players, Mason fans think his chances are slim.
Brad Ezewiro (SLU) a coaching change may not cut it for him, without him their frontcourt would be thin.
David Green (URI) who knows, haven't heard anything.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But still, 4 schools in 4 years and he did receive a waiver because of mental issues last season.
He would still have 2 seasons of eligibility left starting in 24-25 (additional Covid year 20-21)

Others awaiting news:
Woody Newton (GM) may have a shot at a waiver because of the death of his father and moving back home.
Jalen Haynes(GM), probably would be one of the most impactful players, Mason fans think his chances are slim.
Brad Ezewiro (SLU) a coaching change may not cut it for him, without him their frontcourt would be thin.
What is David Green's waiver request based upon?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CD5BCDF2-788C-4DE9-BAEB-E11A39F8C2DE.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Others awaiting news:
Don't know Ramster but just heard rumors and guessing, several on this board are much more aware.
I believe he had problems with the coach which may have led to mental issues plus injuries only playing in 6 games last season.
I think he is from Florida but one of his parents may live in the area.
Again, there is a good chance I am totally off-base on this, but this is only a fan board.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Others awaiting news:
Don't know Ramster but just heard rumors and guessing, several on this board are much more aware.
I believe he had problems with the coach which may have led to mental issues plus injuries only playing in 6 games last season.
Again, there is a good chance I am totally off-base on this, but this is only a fan board.
A lot of it is based on a medical waiver - he played in only 6 games last year, his last in December. They're hoping that will count as a year out.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 7 months ago

A lot of it is based on a medical waiver - he played in only 6 games last year, his last in December. They're hoping that will count as a year out.
Exactly. Dude has basically sat an entire season already. Very different than trying to transfer to your fourth school in four years.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 7 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 7 months ago

Exactly. Dude has basically sat an entire season already. Very different than trying to transfer to your fourth school in four years.
What was his injury?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Green dealt with a couple injuries. I think it was an ankle and hand injury.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 181997007/

Green is a 6-foot-7 lefthander who played in just six games last season due to ankle and thumb issues. He missed five of the first eight and each of the last 22 for the Bulldogs, who closed 15-18 in their first season under coach Talvin Hester. Green entered the transfer portal following a Conference USA tournament loss to North Texas and also received interest from Jacksonville State.

“These past four months have been really hard for me,” Green wrote. “It tested my faith, my patience and my endurance.”
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I thought you were talking about..

if you were, he'd get a waiver wherever he wanted...
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22077

Dayton Flyers
2023-2024 Overall Rank: #53
Conference Rank: #2 Atlantic 10

2022-23 Record: 22-12, 12-6
2022-23 Postseason: None
Coach: Anthony Grant
Coach Record: 124-64 at Dayton, 317-174 overall

Key Departed Players:
Toumani Camara, Forward, 13.9 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.7 apg
Mustapha Amzil, Forward, 9.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.7 apg
R.J. Blakney, Forward, 6.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.2 apg
Mike Sharavjamts, Forward, 5.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.6 apg

Key Returning Players:
DaRon Holmes II, Junior, Forward, 18.4 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1.7 apg
Kobe Elvis, Junior, Guard, 8.5 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.9 apg
Malachi Smith, Junior, Guard, 7.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.6 apg
Koby Brea, Junior, Guard, 6.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.7 apg
Zimi Nwokeji, Junior, Forward, 1.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.4 apg

Key New Players:
Marvel Allen, Freshman, Guard
Javon Bennett, Sophomore, Guard, Transfer from Merrimack
Enoch Cheeks, Junior, Guard, Transfer from Robert Morris
Evan Dickey, Freshman, Guard
Makai Grant, Freshman, Guard
Isaac Jack, Sophomore, Forward, Transfer from Buffalo
Will Maxwell, Freshman, Guard
CJ Napier, Senior, Forward, Transfer from DIII
Petras Padegimas, Freshman, Forward
Nate Santos, Junior, Forward, Transfer from Pittsburgh
Jaiun Simon, Freshman, Forward

Projected Postseason Tournament: NIT

Who do they have #1, maybe Duquesne or could it be VCU (very doubtful)?
I don't really agree with their rankings or projections anyway and much of their information hasn't been updated.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Call me crazy - but the more I think about it I am a little more optimistic long term. I think the COVID 5th year plus immediate transfer eligibility has hurt the A10 the last few years. The 5th year thing is fading out and as long as the NCAA holds strong on denying most waivers, I think kids will start to be more selective on transfers. Also with these conferences running up to 20 teams, realistically only half will be regular contenders, maybe less in some leagues. The advantage of the top of the A10 used to be that you went to a winning program and winning is more fun, leads to better pro options (even if it is overseas) than going to a crap team in a big conference that loses all the time where your play is not elevated. Anyways, I see a path back to there as things settle.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22077

Dayton Flyers

Key Departed Players:

Key Returning Players:

Key New Players:

I don't really agree with their rankings or projections anyway and much of their information hasn't been updated.
As they note where incoming transfers come from they could also list where outgoing transfers go:

Sharavjamts was A10 All Rookie Team transferred to San Francisco
Amzil transferred to New Mexico
Blakney transferred to Old Dominion
Camara had 1 year of eligibility left but went Pro

Dayton loses their 2,3,7 and 8 guys from their 8 man rotation

I'd heard that not all players were pleased that Anthony Grant/Dayton decided not to accept an NIT bid after losing in the A10 Championship game. Did that lead to some departures and/or did some players want another to get away from Grant? Who knows.

Camara was a beast.

E667AAA7-D1E3-4702-8667-6EE1E28CE421.jpeg
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton Flyers

Key Departed Players:

Key Returning Players:

Key New Players:

As they note where incoming transfers come from they could also list where outgoing transfers go:

I'd heard that not all players were pleased that Anthony Grant/Dayton decided not to accept an NIT bid after losing in the A10 Championship game. Did that lead to some departures and/or did some players want another to get away from Grant? Who knows.

Camara was a beast.

Holmes is going to be a major major problem this year , I’m thinking POY if he’s healthy

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 7 months ago

Dayton Flyers

Key Departed Players:

Key Returning Players:

Key New Players:

Camara was a beast.

Holmes is going to be a major major problem this year , I’m thinking POY if he’s healthy

144 Rankings plus A10 Recognized Players returning from last season

#43 Duquesne - 1st in A10 - Grant 2nd Team
#53 Dayton - 2nd in A10 - Holmes 1st team
#73 Fordham - 3rd in A10 - None
#79 Loyola Chicago - 4th in A10 - Schwieger Rookie team
#112 St Bonaventure - 5th in A10 - Banks III 3rd team, Farrell Rookie team
#126 St Joseph's - 6th in A10 - Reynolds 2nd team

Crazy that we can be soon to announce the 1st place team preseason in A10 and not be sure who it is. Never seen this before. Always would know who it would be.

Duquesne - Grant 2nd team - Probably
VCU - None - Possibly
Others?

Imagine Duquesne #1, Fordham #3, Loyola #4 and St Joseph's #6? 4 teams that have been mentioned as needing to be tossed from the A10 in recent years. Crazy times.

Turns out Duquesne grabs #1 A10 as was the probable candidate over VCU.

Pretty tough to rank teams when naming a team every day for 144 days out of season start in today's CB World. So many players being added to rosters even in August and September.
144 Days is almost 5 months.
Last edited by ramster 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 7 months ago

Camara was a beast.

144 Rankings plus A10 Recognized Players returning from last season

?????????????? - 1st in A10
#53 Dayton - 2nd in A10 - Holmes 1st team
#73 Fordham - 3rd in A10 - None
#79 Loyola Chicago - 4th in A10 - Schwieger Rookie team
#112 St Bonaventure - 5th in A10 - Banks III 3rd team, Farrell Rookie team
#126 St Joseph's - 6th in A10 - Reynolds 2nd team

Crazy that we can be soon to announce the 1st place team preseason in A10 and not be sure who it is. Never seen this before. Always would know who it would be.

Duquesne - Grant 2nd team - Probably
VCU - None - Possibly
Others?

Imagine Duquesne #1, Fordham #3, Loyola #4 and St Joseph's #6? 4 teams that have been mentioned as needing to be tossed from the A10 in recent years. Crazy times.
Like I say Ramster, I don't feel we have any really great teams this season, but I think the A10 is pretty deep.

I am surprised the Bonnies aren't picked higher.
Maybe because last season they were 8-10, and in 21-22 when everyone picked them to win the A10 they finished 4th.

But still, I think they may be the deepest and most balanced team in the conference.
Having a backcourt of Luc, Banks, Flowers, Woods, and Pride who are all capable of averaging double-digits and leading the team in scoring in any game.
A starting frontcourt of Farell and Venning also averaging double digits and bench depth with Evans and Brown along with freshmen Thompson and Martinez.

I think Fordham is ranked too high and not sure about Loyola even though I think they will be decent, going against what many of the active posters here feel.

Richmond may surprise some adding all-conference transfer guards King and Hunt.
Sharp shooting wing Roche and transfer Harris.
A solid starting frontcourt of Quinn and Bigelow.

Also keep an eye on GW.
Top A10 scoring guard Bishop (21.6 pts/ 5 assists) and Edwards (A10-ROY) not a bad place to start.
Also in the frontcourt added transfers Shroder, Smith, and Akingbola.
Plus a slew of talented recruits.

As for Rhody this is an important year for Archie to prove that this roster will compete and give us something to build on going forward.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

My feeling is that the A10 will get at least 2 teams in the NCAAT this upcoming season.

In 22-23 VCU won both the A10T and the regular season (by 3 games 15-3).
There are currently no teams that really stand out ahead of the others.
This year I have a feeling the regular season winner won't necessarily be the tournament winner.

Dayton did have some injury issues and no big OOC wins.
The lost all 3 games in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Lost to a not so good Va. Tech team (8-12 ACC) by 28 points.
Got beat by double-digits to VCU in the A10T.

Fordham didn't have a strong enough OOC resume.
Although they did beat a pretty good Tulane team in New Orleans.

I just think (hope so) that some of the better A10 teams will pull off some OOC upsets in 23-24.

Also, I feel there will be a tough battle for the #1 conference spot and our tournament will be up for grabs.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago My feeling is that the A10 will get at least 2 teams in the NCAAT this upcoming season.

This year I have a feeling the regular season winner won't necessarily be the tournament winner.

I just think (hope so) that some of the better A10 teams will pull off some OOC upsets in 23-24.

Also, I feel there will be a tough battle for the #1 conference spot and our tournament will be up for grabs.
Jersey, I think we could sneak in an at-large bid but the A10 will need a lot of things to break its way regarding injuries, favorable bounces, wins in and out of conference. And, for potential P6 bubble teams to stumble out of conference and in conference.

The odds are not in our favor but opportunity to prove the odds wrong are there.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely possible we get 2 teams in but as of now I’m going to guess only 1
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago My feeling is that the A10 will get at least 2 teams in the NCAAT this upcoming season.

Jersey, I think we could sneak in an at-large bid but the A10 will need a lot of things to break its way regarding injuries, favorable bounces, wins in and out of conference. And, for potential P6 bubble teams to stumble out of conference and in conference.

The odds are not in our favor but opportunity to prove the odds wrong are there.
The odds are absolutely in our favor for 2 bids.

Remember this season there is no clear-cut favorite to win the A10.
Also since at least 2014 a team that finished 1st in the A10 reg season got an NCAAT bid.
In addition, only once in that time did the same team that finished 1st also win the A10T and that was VCU just last season.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

David Jablonski, the Flyers longtime beat writer for the Dayton Daily News has made his predictions for the order of finish in the A-10 for the 2023-24 season. Picks Dayton #1 with VCU #2. Predicts URI at #14 ahead of only UMass.

Dayton safe pick for No. 1 spot in hard-to-predict Atlantic 10
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... JPURPQM5A/

Predicted A-10 Finish
1 Dayton
2 VCU
3 SBU
4 St Joe's
5 Duquesne
6 GW
7 Fordham
8 GMU
9 Loyola-Chi
10 St Louis
11 Davidson
12 LaSalle
13 Richmond
14 URI
15 UMass
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago David Jablonski, the Flyers longtime beat writer for the Dayton Daily News has made his predictions for the order of finish in the A-10 for the 2023-24 season. Picks Dayton #1 with VCU #2. Predicts URI at #14 ahead of only UMass.

Predicted A-10 Finish
1 Dayton
2 VCU
3 SBU
4 St Joe's
5 Duquesne
6 GW
7 Fordham
8 GMU
9 Loyola-Chi
10 St Louis
11 Davidson
12 LaSalle
13 Richmond
14 URI
15 UMass
After the last 3 seasons and all our newcomers, not getting much love from these pre-season polls and predictions.
We will probably surprise a lot of people this year.

I am still not as high on VCU as some are, especially now that Bam has been denied.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago David Jablonski, the Flyers longtime beat writer for the Dayton Daily News has made his predictions for the order of finish in the A-10 for the 2023-24 season. Picks Dayton #1 with VCU #2. Predicts URI at #14 ahead of only UMass.

Predicted A-10 Finish
1 Dayton
2 VCU
3 SBU
4 St Joe's
5 Duquesne
6 GW
7 Fordham
8 GMU
9 Loyola-Chi
10 St Louis
11 Davidson
12 LaSalle
13 Richmond
14 URI
15 UMass
After the last 3 seasons and all our newcomers, not getting much love from these pre-season polls and predictions.
We will probably surprise a lot of people this year.

I am still not as high on VCU as some are, especially now that Bam has been denied.
We better.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jablonski knows his stuff.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn I don’t even want to think about a 14th place finish , if we finish 11th or worse I’ll be pretty upset
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 7 months ago Damn I don’t even want to think about a 14th place finish , if we finish 11th or worse I’ll be pretty upset

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 7 months ago Damn I don’t even want to think about a 14th place finish , if we finish 11th or worse I’ll be pretty upset

Hey Jersey, can you email this to Archie and let him know this would be unacceptable?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 7 months ago

Hey Jersey, can you email this to Archie and let him know this would be unacceptable?
Sure :)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I figured Madness would have Duquesne at #1 after seeing their rankings of the other schools.
Still don't agree with it, they should be good but not that high.
VCU left out of their top 6 rankings for the A10.
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22108

Duquesne Dukes
2023-2024 Overall Rank: #43
Conference Rank: #1 Atlantic 10

2022-23 Record: 20-13, 10-8
2022-23 Postseason: CBI
Coach: Keith Dambrot
Coach Record: 91-84 at Duquesne, 504-293 overall

Key Departed Players:
Joe Reece, Forward, 9.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.3 apg
R.J. Gunn, Forward, 8.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.7 apg
Tevin Brewer, Guard, 7.5 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 3.2 apg
Quincy McGriff, Guard, 5.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.4 apg
Austin Rotroff, Forward, 5.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.5 apg

Key Returning Players:
Dae Dae Grant, Senior, Guard, 15.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.5 apg
Jimmy Clark III, Senior, Guard, 12.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.5 apg
Tre Williams, Senior, Forward, 6.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.5 apg
David Dixon, Sophomore, Forward, 4.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.5 apg
Kareem Rozier, Sophomore, Guard, 3.9 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 2.1 apg
Matus Hronsky, Sophomore, Forward, 2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 0.4 apg

Key New Players:
Ethan Anish, Freshman, Guard
Jake DiMichele, Freshman, Guard
Fousseyni Drame, Senior, Forward, Transfer from La Salle
Hassan Drame, Senior, Forward, Transfer from La Salle
Dusan Mahorcic, Senior, Forward, Transfer from NC State
Seamus McDermott, Freshman, Guard
Jakub Necas, Freshman, Forward
Kailon Nicholls, Freshman, Guard
Lucas Perusek, Freshman, Guard
Andrei Savrasov, Senior, Forward, Transfer from Georgia Southern

Projected Postseason Tournament: NCAA
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just announced this morning.

St Bonaventure plays Akron
Davidson plays Ohio University

IMG_9961.jpeg
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What happened at UMass? I’m pretty sure I understand the reasons why we are picked so low, but did something crazy happen at UMass? Similar to us, they made a splash hire before last season and it didn’t immediately translate - I think some A10 observers are underestimating our potential based on that, but curious if it’s the same phenomenon at UMass or if something else happened. It seemed like Martin was bringing in a lot of players people liked when he arrived.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 7 months ago What happened at UMass? I’m pretty sure I understand the reasons why we are picked so low, but did something crazy happen at UMass? Similar to us, they made a splash hire before last season and it didn’t immediately translate - I think some A10 observers are underestimating our potential based on that, but curious if it’s the same phenomenon at UMass or if something else happened. It seemed like Martin was bringing in a lot of players people liked when he arrived.
I have been wondering about him and UMass as well, TP.

He came in with a splash but - from my seat - he has been quiet lately. I wonder if the honeymoon is quickly wearing off for him and he won’t be there beyond this season.

I understand he has had health issues. Hopefully, it isn’t something health related.

Other than that, like us, there are unknowns for their team from the perspective of outsiders, perhaps? And that skews expectations?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago
TruePoint wrote: 7 months ago What happened at UMass? I’m pretty sure I understand the reasons why we are picked so low, but did something crazy happen at UMass? Similar to us, they made a splash hire before last season and it didn’t immediately translate - I think some A10 observers are underestimating our potential based on that, but curious if it’s the same phenomenon at UMass or if something else happened. It seemed like Martin was bringing in a lot of players people liked when he arrived.
I have been wondering about him and UMass as well, TP.

He came in with a splash but - from my seat - he has been quiet lately. I wonder if the honeymoon is quickly wearing off for him and he won’t be there beyond this season.

I understand he has had health issues. Hopefully, it isn’t something health related.

Other than that, like us, there are unknowns for their team from the perspective of outsiders, perhaps? And that skews expectations?

Frank Martin has always been known as an extremely intense coach. His act, while sometimes successful, typically begins to run thin in time. That is why he has moved on quite a bit. UMass had a lot of unexpected roster turnover this past season and some wonder if many of the players got burnt out and wanted a change.
2 x