Game 1 Football AT Georgia State 7PM Thursday Aug 31 2023 ESPN+

All things Rhody Rams football.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 1 Football AT Georgia State 7PM Thursday Aug 31 2023 ESPN+

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago Groff hit the Field Goal through the uprights that didn't count because a time out was called by the defense as the ball was being snapped.

When he went to kick the second attempt, it hit the right goal post and bounced back.
Wasn’t a time out…it was a freaking penalty against rhody.
IMG_1464.jpeg
IMG_1464.jpeg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 7 months ago
jcru wrote: 7 months ago Groff hit the Field Goal through the uprights that didn't count because a time out was called by the defense as the ball was being snapped.

When he went to kick the second attempt, it hit the right goal post and bounced back.
Wasn’t a time out…it was a freaking penalty against rhody.IMG_1464.jpeg
That's exactly right Rudder. He had to kick the 2nd attempt from 5 yards further back - and hit the right upright.
0 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Congrats on the solid showing and condolences on the bias ref crew. Taking your word for it as did not see the game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Steve81 wrote: 7 months ago Congrats on the solid showing and condolences on the bias ref crew. Taking your word for it as did not see the game.
There's revenue from the A10?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 7 months ago
Steve81 wrote: 7 months ago Congrats on the solid showing and condolences on the bias ref crew. Taking your word for it as did not see the game.
There's revenue from the A10?
I did not think the Referee crew was biased.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago I actually can't believe more of a big deal isn't being made about that call. I guess one URI player wasn't "playing along" and was beside himself, he saw the measurement at a perfect angle and was protesting to the officials, both times.

It's not even that subtle anymore when the officials are trying to gift one team the game. Just like UNH last year, we weren't getting out of Atlanta with the "W" unless we dominated them to the point where they couldn't penalize and bad call their way back.
Just to be clear here, you're implying that officials are fixing the game so one team has an advantage to winning?
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 7 months ago
jcru wrote: 7 months ago I actually can't believe more of a big deal isn't being made about that call. I guess one URI player wasn't "playing along" and was beside himself, he saw the measurement at a perfect angle and was protesting to the officials, both times.

It's not even that subtle anymore when the officials are trying to gift one team the game. Just like UNH last year, we weren't getting out of Atlanta with the "W" unless we dominated them to the point where they couldn't penalize and bad call their way back.
Just to be clear here, you're implying that officials are fixing the game so one team has an advantage to winning?
I agree with you JCRU. That was shady as hell at the end of that game. That was never a first down, not when they first measured and sure as hell not the second time. And then they pause the game to look at it again and it was the quickest review ever which to me made it even more suspicious.

PMM, those are your words, not JCRU's or mine.

But to act like this never happens, please. Does this happen often or even more than remotely, no but it does happen. Whether it was intentional or not I suppose is open to debate, but I think the head ref was not going to allow Rhode Island to get that ball back no matter what the chains said (or other members of his crew or the review official).

And overall the refereeing in the game was not bad, but it was egregious on that measurement when the game was in the balance. Rhode Island earned the chance to tie that game up and it was taken away from them.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 7 months ago

I agree with you JCRU. That was shady as hell at the end of that game. That was never a first down, not when they first measured and sure as hell not the second time. And then they pause the game to look at it again and it was the quickest review ever which to me made it even more suspicious.

But to act like this never happens, please. Does this happen often or even more than remotely, no but it does happen. Whether it was intentional or not I suppose is open to debate, but I think the head ref was not going to allow Rhode Island to get that ball back no matter what the chains said (or other members of his crew or the review official).

And overall the refereeing in the game was not bad, but it was egregious on that measurement when the game was in the balance. Rhode Island earned the chance to tie that game up and it was taken away from them.
Listen to this CAA Interview with Jim Fleming and hear what he has to say about the call and the officiating.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... ng_Wk2.mp3
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago
4Diffs wrote: 7 months ago

Listen to this CAA Interview with Jim Fleming and hear what he has to say about the call and the officiating.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... ng_Wk2.mp3
Didn’t have time to listen can someone summarize what Flem said about it ??
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For what it's worth, UConn trails Georgia State, 21-0 at the half.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Final: Huskies lose 35-14
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

eli#10 wrote: 7 months ago Final: Huskies lose 35-14
Nice
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Georgia State now 4-0 and no one has given them a better game than Rhody.

We may be even better than we think.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yes, Peter. At the time, someone said that Georgia St would be a "middle of the pack" CAA team, but that is not true. They would be the top of this conference, and URI currently is. Georgia St seems comparable to JMU in the Sun Belt Conference, which are 3-0 with a win over Virginia. URI has given them their closest game so far, and they did it with a second half comeback where they took the lead for a good while.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

jcru wrote: 7 months ago Yes, Peter. At the time, someone said that Georgia St would be a "middle of the pack" CAA team, but that is not true. They would be the top of this conference, and URI currently is. Georgia St seems comparable to JMU in the Sun Belt Conference, which are 3-0 with a win over Virginia. URI has given them their closest game so far, and they did it with a second half comeback where they took the lead for a good while.
State is definitely overachieving

Just goes to show you the best of the FCS can compete at a pretty high level in the FBS.

I mean our offense is full of guys who can play at the FBS level that's for sure

GA states three FBS opponents have scored

Our offense is elite!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 7 months ago
jcru wrote: 7 months ago Yes, Peter. At the time, someone said that Georgia St would be a "middle of the pack" CAA team, but that is not true. They would be the top of this conference, and URI currently is. Georgia St seems comparable to JMU in the Sun Belt Conference, which are 3-0 with a win over Virginia. URI has given them their closest game so far, and they did it with a second half comeback where they took the lead for a good while.
State is definitely overachieving

Just goes to show you the best of the FCS can compete at a pretty high level in the FBS.

I mean our offense is full of guys who can play at the FBS level that's for sure

GA states three FBS opponents have scored

Our offense is elite!
FBS Teams vs FCS CAA Teams this year to date. All Games were away at FBS Stadiums.

#5 William & Mary
#11 New Hampshire
#19 Delaware
#25 Villanova
#34 Albany

CAA vs FBS P5:
Wake Forest ACC beat Elon 37-17
Michigan State BIG10 beat Richmond 45-14
Maryland BIG10 beat Towson 38-6
Penn State BIG10 beat #19 FCS Delaware 63-7
UCF BIG12 beat #25 FCS Villanova 48-14

CAA vs FBS - Group of 5: