Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I guess UNC, FSU and Clemson released statements that they voted no.

It doesn’t appear that all is well in ACC land but schools are locked in to the GOR so there isn’t anything they can do for now but voice their displeasure.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago I guess UNC, FSU and Clemson released statements that they voted no.

It doesn’t appear that all is well in ACC land but schools are locked in to the GOR so there isn’t anything they can do for now but voice their displeasure.
With that said:
https://247sports.com/college/florida-s ... 215171890/

Florida State University President Richard McCullough:

"We appreciate the efforts of Commissioner Phillips and our conference partners. There are many complicated factors that led us to vote no. That said, we welcome these truly outstanding institutions and look forward to working with them as our new partners in the Atlantic Coast Conference."
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

More good info. Thanks for posting the stories, Jersey. 👍🏼
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago More good info. Thanks for posting the stories, Jersey. 👍🏼
Anytime JD.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 7 months ago I guess UNC, FSU and Clemson released statements that they voted no.

With that said:

"We appreciate the efforts of Commissioner Phillips and our conference partners. There are many complicated factors that led us to vote no. That said, we welcome these truly outstanding institutions and look forward to working with them as our new partners in the Atlantic Coast Conference."
"For as long as we have to and not a moment sooner. We hate it here and will be leaving as soon as possible. Have fun with these loser schools."
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago

With that said:

"For as long as we have to and not a moment sooner. We hate it here and will be leaving as soon as possible. Have fun with these loser schools."
I guess it depends on how you define "loser schools"! UCal-Berkeley and Stanford have been associated with 194 Nobel Prize winners, Florida State and Clemson have been associated with exactly 6.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm pretty sure when discussing the Atlantic Coast Conference football and basketball are more important than Nobel Prize winners.

The President made the statement they had to make. The AD's job is to get them out of the ACC and into the SEC as soon as possible. If and when that happens whoever the Florida State president is will talk about the new truly outstanding institutions they look forward to working with
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I’m sure by now everyone read how Cal,Stan, and SMU are joining the ACC.
And How SMU agreed to not get any TV money for like the next 9-10years. They just wanted to be in the ACC and brand.

Now take away all the big east and Pee Cee would never allow it and just think as a business and brand for a second.

Question for everyone:

Would you want URI to do a similar deal to be included with say a big East conference?

My opinion is hell yes in a heart beat. Reason being you would make a lot of money in other areas like tickets, merch with big east logo.
Something I thought about after reading about SMU.

With conferences going 15,16,17,18 teams
I think the big east is gonna have to expand and relax their standards. I’m sure Dayton, Saint Louis, VCU are probably top choices with the big east but if URI floated that option.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 7 months ago

With that said:

I guess it depends on how you define "loser schools"! UCal-Berkeley and Stanford have been associated with 194 Nobel Prize winners, Florida State and Clemson have been associated with exactly 6.
But...the real start of prime time (at least this week) and, and, Burt Reynolds!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

With that said:

Nah those are definitely loser ass schools.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Loser ass school….that’s gotta be pretty bad. Worse than just an old, plain loser school.

Is there anything worse than a loser ass school ?

:lol:

ETA: BM, you made me snot-laugh with that post!
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago I'm pretty sure when discussing the Atlantic Coast Conference football and basketball are more important than Nobel Prize winners.
No question that I agree with that opinion. However, my point is calling those two schools "losers" based on recent records ignores their potential and future prospects. I don't know if you have ever been on the Cal-Berkeley campus because to witness a football game in its modernized neo-classical stadium nestled into the beautiful setting of Strawberry Canyon on a beautiful sunny California day with its typically laid back crowd is an amazing experience. If you are fixed on the present only and call Cal a loser school, then what do you call URI given the last four terrible BB seasons?

I am been impressed with the rational discussion of re-alignment found in this thread. Maybe that's a derivative of URI having a football program, even one on the FCS level, which gives us a better understanding of how football is shaping the current and future course of conference re-alignment. If you doubt that just take gander at the insane discussion on the subject on the PC forum. There you see a total ignorance of football with views highly colored by basketball and hatred of UConn and BC. Some there think that the ACC will implode and that a few schools like Duke and Virginia might easily go indy in football and join the Big East in basketball as just one example of their fantasies. Let's never act like that board in its usual denigration of rivals and its embrace of la la land.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Also, one other thing.... there's nothing like California girls!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SMU view of Conference History and how SMU feels about the greatest news since the Death Penalty:

Southwest Conference SWC stating in 1918 - 77 years then the SWC disbanded
Western Athletic Conference WAC 9 years
Conference USA CUSA 8 years
American Athletic Conference AAC 11 years
Atlantic Coast Conference

SMU now gets into the Power Conference FBS Group along with recent Power Conference additions Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Brigham Young. All moving from Mid Major Conferences.

https://apnews.com/article/smu-acc-conf ... 428342f75a
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Summary of Adds from PAC12

ACC
Stanford
California

Big10
Oregon
Washington
USC
UCLA

Big 12
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

Only Oregon State and Washington State remain but are on the outside looking in. They are Likely to now join the Mountain West or the American Athletic Conference

In other moves not related to PAC12 for Power FBS:
SEC strengthened by adding Texas and Oklahoma
ACC added SMU
Big 12 added Cincinnati, Houston, Central Florida and Brigham Young

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/09/01/ ... utType=amp
Last edited by ramster 7 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago I'm pretty sure when discussing the Atlantic Coast Conference football and basketball are more important than Nobel Prize winners.
No question that I agree with that opinion. However, my point is calling those two schools "losers" based on recent records ignores their potential and future prospects. I don't know if you have ever been on the Cal-Berkeley campus because to witness a football game in its modernized neo-classical stadium nestled into the beautiful setting of Strawberry Canyon on a beautiful sunny California day with its typically laid back crowd is an amazing experience. If you are fixed on the present only and call Cal a loser school, then what do you call URI given the last four terrible BB seasons?

I am been impressed with the rational discussion of re-alignment found in this thread. Maybe that's a derivative of URI having a football program, even one on the FCS level, which gives us a better understanding of how football is shaping the current and future course of conference re-alignment. If you doubt that just take gander at the insane discussion on the subject on the PC forum. There you see a total ignorance of football with views highly colored by basketball and hatred of UConn and BC. Some there think that the ACC will implode and that a few schools like Duke and Virginia might easily go indy in football and join the Big East in basketball as just one example of their fantasies. Let's never act like that board in its usual denigration of rivals and its embrace of la la land.
I felt like the quotation marks and tone showed I was trying to write from the Florida State perspective, and I feel they would have that exact attitude toward the three schools added
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago Summary of Adds from PAC12

ACC
Stanford
California

Big10
Oregon
Washington
USC
UCLA

Big 12
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

Only Oregon State and Washington State remain but are on the outside looking in. They are Likely to now join the Mountain West or the American Athletic Conference

ACC added SMU

The AAC isn't happening for OSU or WSU so just the MWC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ACC
Stanford
California

Big10
Oregon
Washington
USC
UCLA

Big 12
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

ACC added SMU

Why do you say the AAC isn't a possible option?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago

ACC
Stanford
California

Big10
Oregon
Washington
USC
UCLA

Big 12
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

ACC added SMU

Why do you say the AAC isn't a possible option?
They just voted them down and said they don't want to expand westward.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrNOBo ... m4Uep_2SA-
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrNOBq ... MUrD2u1c4-
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Memphis promoting their program as SMU leaves AAC for ACC

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 738098007/#
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago Memphis promoting their program as SMU leaves AAC for ACC

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 738098007/#
Memphis has gotten royally screwed with all this realignment.

There's much better than a good amount of these programs that have moved into big time conferences.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Memphis, while typically having a strong men's hoops program, has been rather mediocre in football which is what now drives conference realignment. It is also not an especially strong academic school.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While I find the realignment in college athletics to be a very interesting saga, my bigger concern is the eventual impact on URI. Realignment has evolved over many years driven by money and football and as a consequence there is a growing disparity between the Power Five and all other schools. And both football and money are not great URI strengths.

Let me use UConn as an example because that school has done so many right things over the last 25 years and yet is still currently in conference limbo. For any school, the operational internal funding for athletics comes from three sources: 1) the subsidy provided by the school, in the case of publics that means state funding, 2) annual money flowing from endowments, 3) alumni/friends annual giving. UConn 2023 stats for each factor: 1) $40 million, 2) $6 million, 3) $28 million. Again this covers internal sources of revenue and does not include ticket sales, media rights, etc. This shows UConn is approaching Power Five levels of revenues based on internal sources. UConn is weaker versus Power Five in two respects; as a football indy it gets reduced media rights money, only $4 million from BE basketball, and smaller football ticket revenue. Getting into a power conference significantly changes these two figures and justifies any UConn moves in making it happen.

I do not have comparable numbers for URI, but I am sure they are all much lower than UConn’s and any solid comparison will show the dilemma URI faces. If anyone here has such information, please post it in this thread. One other qualitative point, the State of Connecticut is very much behind UConn. I cannot say the same for Rode Island.

Disclaimer: I have no love for UConn athletics in any shape or form, but I am for a non-partisan and reasoned analysis.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ob, your first sentence above took the words right out of my mouth! 👍🏼

It is how I view realignment, as well.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Obadiah wrote: 7 months ago ...
Let me use UConn as an example because that school has done so many right things over the last 25 years and yet is still currently in conference limbo.
This is the price that UCONN continues to pay for suing the ACC for raiding BE member schools. Good move Blumenthal!!!
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody72 wrote: 7 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 7 months ago ...
Let me use UConn as an example because that school has done so many right things over the last 25 years and yet is still currently in conference limbo.
This is the price that UCONN continues to pay for suing the ACC for raiding BE member schools. Good move Blumenthal!!!
Blumetnhal, never one to shy away from a camera, led the suit which I believe is the only one ever filed in the entire 25 year re-alignment story. The suit included a few other BE schools at the time, notably Pittsburgh, but somehow the ACC forgave Pittsburgh, maybe because they brought more to the table with football, but UConn remains left out.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

HANOI DICK
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Figured to put this here but Trilly has very good sources and would be a very nice add

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for posting, Dino. Interesting.

That said…. please, not another team !?

We have enough already…unless a program is on the way out?

But, even IF a team was leaving, my preference would be not to add.

Also, adding to the current # just adds another mouth to feed (financially) and another program to fight over 1-2 bids with the way realignment is impacting the A10.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 7 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dino611 wrote: 7 months ago Figured to put this here but Trilly has very good sources and would be a very nice add

The problem is McGlade doesn't understand basketball too well. She is trying to build a conference like the P5 and go to 20 conference games. However, as it currently stands, there are no at large bids coming out of the A10. So a 20 game conference schedule in a diluted A10 is going to kill basketball at a lot of schools. Time to cut this mid major conference in half.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 7 months ago
Dino611 wrote: 7 months ago Figured to put this here but Trilly has very good sources and would be a very nice add

The problem is McGlade doesn't understand basketball too well. She is trying to build a conference like the P5 and go to 20 conference games. However, as it currently stands, there are no at large bids coming out of the A10. So a 20 game conference schedule in a diluted A10 is going to kill basketball at a lot of schools. Time to cut this mid major conference in half.
Trying to get 21 teams so they can each play each other once. Um...yay? I guess....
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Tbr, That would be my preference, too. A smaller A10 with committed basketball programs that includes us. Wish there was a way to do that.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Just passed their campus today for “2nd Sunday” - I should have stopped in

Their coach lives on fantasy island with me - haven’t run into him yet tho
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 7 months ago

Yeah, after all we need to play more teams like J&W, Central Ct, Fairfield, Wagner, etc.

I have no problem if the A10 votes in favor of adding Charleston, ECR would be thrilled.

McGlade understands college basketball.
"McGlade literally left her mark as a student-athlete for the Tar Heels, as her No. 14 jersey hangs in the rafters at Carmichael Arena, where she set the UNC career rebounding record for both men's and women's basketball, which still stands today."
https://atlantic10.com/news/2022/4/20/a ... ation.aspx
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Great, another fucking school that brings nothing to the table but takes more money away from everyone. When the fuck will this conference learn its lesson?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago Great, another fucking school that brings nothing to the table but takes more money away from everyone. When the fuck will this conference learn its lesson?
Question and this is all a little premature.
If they bring nothing to the table and just an added expense why would the member schools vote them in?

I am sure the council presidents and AD's have a little more insight into the goings on than this fan board.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Do they at this point? Because we're all watching the Atlantic 10 get flushed down the toilet. A one bid league
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago Do they at this point? Because we're all watching the Atlantic 10 get flushed down the toilet. A one bid league
Okay, so the head coaches need to up their game.

Except for the MWC, AAC, and the WCC with Gonzaga and St. Mary's, we are ahead of the rest.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m all for Charleston, so long as other leave/forced out (which most likely won’t happen)

Can’t have a “super conference” that isn’t good.
3 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 7 months ago I’m all for Charleston, so long as other leave/forced out (which most likely won’t happen)

Maybe the A10 is hedging their position against possible future departures of Dayton, SLU, VCU, or UMass.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 7 months ago I’m all for Charleston, so long as other leave/forced out (which most likely won’t happen)

Maybe the A10 is hedging their position against possible future departures of Dayton, SLU, VCU, or UMass.
That is more likely - however, is Charleston a site that would be a good replacement? There are others I think would be better.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of course.
How long do you think Dayton, VCU and SLU and some others are going to stay on board the sinking Battleship McGlade?
The rats will be running for the exits.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How much more can they dilute this league before interest completely disappears?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i agree - don't dilute this once proud conference

i wish we had a way to get to a better conference

it's only a matter of time before our best teams leave
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So C of C has had 2 NCAA appearances in their last 5 coaches. Pat Kelsey is great but he won't be there for long. But I'd still take C of C over Fordham, La Salle, Duquesne, GW, or George Mason.

Why is McGlade consistently focused on added teams?

You lose rivalries. You lose interest. And if you don't have interest, it's harder to sell your product to get a good TV deal.

Nevermind the fact that unless we adopt a dynamic scheduling program, you'll just have a whole bunch of watered down teams with lower nets bringing everyone down.

I really hope that URI, UMass, Dayton, St Louis, VCU, Richmond, and even someone like a College of Charleston are having conversations to break off and do their own thing and form their own conference. Even if you take a St Bonnies/Davidson with you to get to 10.

But the A10 is going to hell.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Why the rush to take them now? Hedging our position is stupid and leading to a weaker conference. We can get a school like Charleston anytime we want
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 7 months ago

Of course.
How long do you think Dayton, VCU and SLU and some others are going to stay on board the sinking Battleship McGlade?
The rats will be running for the exits.
And adding schools like Fordham Chicago and Charleston while our revenue per school declines just add more holes to the battleship
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 7 months ago How much more can they dilute this league before interest completely disappears?
I don't know, take a look at our conference schedule this year. Any interest in that?
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 7 months ago How much more can they dilute this league before interest completely disappears?
I don't know, take a look at our conference schedule this year. Any interest in that?
Exactly.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Why the rush to take them now? Hedging our position is stupid and leading to a weaker conference. We can get a school like Charleston anytime we want
Look, I am just throwing that out there and guessing at possible motives.
0 x