Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 7 months ago College kids can be engaged! No hype man here and not seeing any kids staring at phones.

I very much doubt the atmosphere in the Ryan Center when URI comes out of the tunnel to face Johnson & Wales will be anything like that. :lol:
Maybe not, but don't rule it our for that home opener against the Greyhounds!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 7 months ago College kids can be engaged! No hype man here and not seeing any kids staring at phones.

Ah yes, comparing opening night for an ACC college football team with an iconic and well known entrance to URI basketball
1 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wyoming students were awesome last night! I’ve no doubt URI is extremely focused on how to fix this. Hopefully results in a new approach with PA and the ridiculous shrieking sound system in the RC (as I’ve said previously a problem I’ve personally solved with Vibes musician ear plugs)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 7 months ago

Ah yes, comparing opening night for an ACC college football team with an iconic and well known entrance to URI basketball
Yeah but just check out the Jump Around tradition at Wisconsin and tell me that the RC needs a chaperone!! /s
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm pointing out that students actually can be engaged and not staring at their phones without having a hype man. It is possible.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 7 months ago

I'm pointing out that students actually can be engaged and not staring at their phones without having a hype man. It is possible.
It’s apples to oranges, two completely different situations, sports, atmosphere etc.

Can’t compare the two.
0 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

But the in state rivalry can’t be understated!!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... rts-venues

Well at least we're ahead of a blue blood type program in something!
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

do we still
Have the black
Shower curtain ?

My goodness
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago do we still
Have the black
Shower curtain ?

My goodness
They’re leaving it there for you to gripe. 🤣😀
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 6 months ago
Have the black
Shower curtain ?

My goodness
They’re leaving it there for you to gripe. 🤣😀
Maybe put advertising on it?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

“Powered by ECR!” Right across the shower curtain
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This is the result of football, but not a football post, another complaint about wi-fi, so...I'm putting it here. By now, everyone in America knows, once inside the Ryan center, there's no connection to the outside world. I took a good look at the payphone on the wall in the North lobby. There's a reason they keep it nice and clean and in good order. For the unaware, it might seem like...ok, go outside, but just ask anyone trying to download tickets just outside the door...

Now, today, thanks to rudder, I had tickets on the Ry side of the football field...OUT-SIDE...and no wi-fi. So, after a while, I go across to the other side/corner...still no wi-fi.

It's like the place is a black hole for wi-fi that defies description. Even old buildings don't usually have these issues. From what I recall, there's wifi at Fordham. Is it possible that this goes beyond radio science?...maybe the Ry has a supernatural, sinkhole-ish effect on wi-fi? Does it have wi-fi absorbing/collecting (chemical?) properties built into it...to purposely "cancel" (really, collect) wi-fi juice and then feed it to some planet-ruling monster in a Guardians movie? You kinda hafta wonder...this just ain't right...
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago This is the result of football, but not a football post, another complaint about wi-fi, so...I'm putting it here. By now, everyone in America knows, once inside the Ryan center, there's no connection to the outside world. I took a good look at the payphone on the wall in the North lobby. There's a reason they keep it nice and clean and in good order. For the unaware, it might seem like...ok, go outside, but just ask anyone trying to download tickets just outside the door...

Now, today, thanks to rudder, I had tickets on the Ry side of the football field...OUT-SIDE...and no wi-fi. So, after a while, I go across to the other side/corner...still no wi-fi.

It's like the place is a black hole for wi-fi that defies description. Even old buildings don't usually have these issues. From what I recall, there's wifi at Fordham. Is it possible that this goes beyond radio science?...maybe the Ry has a supernatural, sinkhole-ish effect on wi-fi? Does it have wi-fi absorbing/collecting (chemical?) properties built into it...to purposely "cancel" (really, collect) wi-fi juice and then feed it to some planet-ruling monster in a Guardians movie? You kinda hafta wonder...this just ain't right...
Blueman or someone else has made a pretty detailed post on this before. However our wifi system is set up is apparently just horribly configured for the type of building it’s in
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

It is a force field to protect the super heroes
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

damram wrote: 6 months ago It is a force field to protect the super heroes
It's not normal. It doesn't just "not work there"...I think it sucks in normally working wi-fi from nearby surrounding phone/satellite combos...and feeds the monster. It's a negative wi-force. It's where wi-fi goes to die
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Have the black
Shower curtain ?

My goodness
It is super bush league. Please fix it before Nov 1

Thank you
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
It's not normal. It doesn't just "not work there"...I think it sucks in normally working wi-fi from nearby surrounding phone/satellite combos...and feeds the monster. It's a negative wi-force. It's where wi-fi goes to die
Calling students and staff. Does your password account required WIFI work in the RC?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 6 months ago
Calling students and staff. Does your password account required WIFI work in the RC?
I've been working on my masters the last couple of semesters and the password protected URI secure works well but a lot of times it automatically switches me to URI open, which doesn't work at all. That switch happens a lot more at Meade than in the Ryan Center
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Very low tech Boomer here, given. However, how in the hell can this Wi-Fi thing go on unresolved?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

No ice at Boss
No Scoreboard for football
No WIFI at RC
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rjv wrote: 6 months ago No ice at Boss
No WIFI at RC
Beautiful!
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 6 months ago No ice at Boss
No WIFI at RC
Yeah, but I did find out that it still takes about 25 minutes to get a beer...even if there's only 3 people in front of you. In line, we were wondering, are they making people drink and finish them at the cash register before serving the next person? Even though I stood there and watched it, lived it...I just can't figure out how they do it so slooooowlyyy..... Maybe it's the same thing that impacts the wi-fi...some kind of massive energy drain field? Maybe Dan needs to come back and burn some sage for us?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago Very low tech Boomer here, given. However, how in the hell can this Wi-Fi thing go on unresolved?
Like with most things, it just comes down to money. It can be fixed pretty easily if the money is just invested to upgrade/fix it.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

As a student who graduated two years ago it only worked when I got to the Ryan center and was one of the first few students to get there but once it got around game time it didn’t
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dino611 wrote: 6 months ago

As a student who graduated two years ago it only worked when I got to the Ryan center and was one of the first few students to get there but once it got around game time it didn’t
That's because the wi-fry sinkhole doesn't kick in until it gets up to a certain level...like a thermostat.
Get a 2,000 in there (or 5K announced...same thing) and it just absorbs the signal.

The big question is, since everyone has working wi-fi on their phones...
When you get into proximity - not even inside, just near - the Ry - and you don't have wi-fi...where did/does all that wi-fi actually 'go'? It can't just disappear...can it? I mean...radiophysics, right?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

I've been working on my masters the last couple of semesters and the password protected URI secure works well but a lot of times it automatically switches me to URI open, which doesn't work at all. That switch happens a lot more at Meade than in the Ryan Center
URI Open has worked for me the last few season, if you consider it working for 10 minutes at a time "working". A few years ago i had my sisters URI secure cert on my phone and that worked every time
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Dino611 wrote: 6 months ago

That's because the wi-fry sinkhole doesn't kick in until it gets up to a certain level...like a thermostat.
Get a 2,000 in there (or 5K announced...same thing) and it just absorbs the signal.

The big question is, since everyone has working wi-fi on their phones...
When you get into proximity - not even inside, just near - the Ry - and you don't have wi-fi...where did/does all that wi-fi actually 'go'? It can't just disappear...can it? I mean...radiophysics, right?
How do the streaming services work for home games?
I never need them, because well they’re home games and i get tickets…
But seriously, how is there enough signal to show the games to people on the outside?
Is there internet service for coaches and other people whose offices are in the RC? Or do they just use snail mail?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'll try to remember to look Wednesday. My guess is there's a media only or special wifi that is password protected and most can't access
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes, there is a media-only WiFi network that has worked for me a few times, but I'm in the back of 205/206 far away from the media table and shower curtain.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'd imagine the scorers table has to be hooked up to the same system to get live stats out
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

My favorite thread of all time, strictly because 100% here agree on everything posted.

WiFi stinks, food stinks, concession workers stink more, beer too expensive.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago My favorite thread of all time, strictly because 100% here agree on everything posted.

People shouldn’t complain about the beer. We didn’t have it as an option long ago and now you can take it to your seat. There are decent beers available. Not cheap but it is a luxury and many places don’t allow it. We sound like a bunch of old ladies complaining about the beer situation.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago My favorite thread of all time, strictly because 100% here agree on everything posted.

Other than those things, it is still a good nite out, go Rhody
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 6 months ago

People shouldn’t complain about the beer. We didn’t have it as an option long ago and now you can take it to your seat. There are decent beers available. Not cheap but it is a luxury and many places don’t allow it. We sound like a bunch of old ladies complaining about the beer situation.
Eh, $13 for a gansett tall boy is basically Fenway prices.

If Sea and Sand is $14 (tremendous beer) gansett should be way lower.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago

That’s why i go with the sea and sand. Way better value.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think I figured it out. Tin foil hats. If everyone wore a tin foil hat...that would "foil" the wi-fi diversion force currently in play and it would work fine. But it will require everyone to wear one. It's that simple. Prove me wrong on this one.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The other Shaidzon (Little Ocean?) is fine/way better value as well
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Better than Sea and Sand?! No way
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Better than Sea and Sand?! No way
better value than 'gansett
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Can get a 12 rack of Gansett kingers for the price of one in the Ryan. No I do not drink Gansett, just saying...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago Can get a 12 rack of Gansett kingers for the price of one in the Ryan. No I do not drink Gansett, just saying...
Insane mark up lol
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Insane markup is pretty much par for the course at any major arena.

Folks wanted beers at games, now you got that. If you wanted cheap beers at games you probably need to either go back to Tulane in the 90s or sneak a six pack into your kids CYO game. I don't know any arena that regularly sells cheap beer.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Insane markup is pretty much par for the course at any major arena.

Folks wanted beers at games, now you got that. If you wanted cheap beers at games you probably need to either go back to Tulane in the 90s or sneak a six pack into your kids CYO game. I don't know any arena that regularly sells cheap beer.
I guess I meant insane market for gansett, seeing how its beyond cheap at any other place in the state.

Makes sense for the Rise, Sea and Sand, etc to be expensive at games.
3 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Ernie Calverley and Michelle Washington banners have been replaced to look like the Garrick, Green, and Owens banners and they're hanging in the traditional spot that the retired banners were. No sign of a Carothers banner!

9/10
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago The Ernie Calverley and Michelle Washington banners have been replaced to look like the Garrick, Green, and Owens banners and they're hanging in the traditional spot that the retired banners were. No sign of a Carothers banner!

9/10
More importantly, are you messaging us via Wi-Fi???
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I am! I feel like an advanced life form having this technology!

There's URI open, URI secure that I'm on, Ryan Center media, and Ryan Center guest. I'll try guest at halftime
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So it looks like there are a few different wifi networks, but all of them besides open are password protected
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I managed a post mid game near a window during a time out. First time ever. I’m home now where of course I have zero issues

:)
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Insane markup is pretty much par for the course at any major arena.

And I agree - but any major arena has figured out how to get you a beer in under 5-7 minutes, has WiFi, and shows replays of the action.

I won't complain about the beers - but if you're going to charge those big arena prices, you better give me a big arena product.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL