Morey Hershgordon Leaving WPRI 12 - Latest in Series of TV Departures

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Morey Hershgordon Leaving WPRI 12 - Latest in Series of TV Departures

Unread post by section(105) »

The talent pool continues to drain…..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He was from outside Philadelphia in PA and later went to college at Quinnipiac in New Haven-CT. He had no real local ties to RI. Not surprised he is moving on after a five year stint.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sorry to see him leave , big fan of his work
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Early on in his coverage of Rhody he was critical of URI essentially saying he doubted we would ever get a player of Fatts caliber again which rubbed me the wrong way. He did have some good takes over the years, especially calling out Cox publicly for sitting Walker in the Umass game.
1 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylocal wrote: 8 months ago Early on in his coverage of Rhody he was critical of URI essentially saying he doubted we would ever get a player of Fatts caliber again which rubbed me the wrong way. He did have some good takes over the years, especially calling out Cox publicly for sitting Walker in the Umass game.
Agreed - I had issues with him early on with regard to his URI coverage. He got better over time as he grew into the job.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He was never long for this area...was willing to take certain perspectives bc he knew he wouldn't be here for his career...don't remember him doing anything extra for URI to feel any way about him. Good luck I guess but just another sportscaster.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Typical of the profession.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 8 months ago Typical of the profession.
Very few Chris Clark’s out there anymore.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Loved him during the last years of Cox, wouldn’t shy away from throwing the hard hitting questions at Cox which some other reporters which wouldn’t
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

section(105) wrote: 8 months ago
Us old timers remember Mike Gorman working at Channel 12. He's now 77! Whoa.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 8 months ago
No, we don't :lol: but we do remember him doing Big East basketball....them were good times
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hershgordon is going to Boston's Channel 7. This channel is a bit odd as it lost its network affiliation a few years ago. It runs a lot of news and seems to have hours each day devoted to Family Fued.

Channel 7 hires Morey Hershgordon as lead sports anchor, filling Joe Amorosino’s slot
https://www.boston.com/sports/media/202 ... aturestack
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 8 months ago
He used to hang at Sandy Point Beach!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 8 months ago Hershgordon is going to Boston's Channel 7. This channel is a bit odd as it lost its network affiliation a few years ago. It runs a lot of news and seems to have hours each day devoted to Family Fued.

Channel 7 hires Morey Hershgordon as lead sports anchor, filling Joe Amorosino’s slot
That doesn't seem to be a step up (not that I know these things). Channel 7 used to be Boston's NBC affiliate until NBC 10 Boston came along. I no longer get channel 7 on my YouTubeTV.

(unless perhaps Channel 7 is going to become a network affiliate again?)
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Bartenders all over the state are still mourning his loss.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

the reality is that Providence is a small TV market. Anyone decent will move on to bigger and better things.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 8 months ago
RF1 wrote: 8 months ago Hershgordon is going to Boston's Channel 7. This channel is a bit odd as it lost its network affiliation a few years ago. It runs a lot of news and seems to have hours each day devoted to Family Fued.

That doesn't seem to be a step up (not that I know these things). Channel 7 used to be Boston's NBC affiliate until NBC 10 Boston came along. I no longer get channel 7 on my YouTubeTV.

(unless perhaps Channel 7 is going to become a network affiliate again?)

Agreed about the station. It is however still the Boston market which carries some weight. Will very much help his resume building. A future prospective employer will see Boston and possibly not be fully aware of the status of WHDH-7.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

NHRamFan wrote: 8 months ago the reality is that Providence is a small TV market. Anyone decent will move on to bigger and better things.
The reality is Providence is not considered a small TV market. (Obviously, smaller than Boston.) It's considered mid-size. It's bigger than Memphis, Buffalo, and just behind New Orleans. (Facts without having to present a PowerPoint, as some have accused me of requiring. You see, it's not that hard. Took me two seconds.)

https://ustvdb.com/seasons/2022-23/markets/
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Speaking of Harv and the feud...while I've never been a fan of the show, youtube does have some hilarious compilations of it...
0 x
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

What are the chances that a guy named Morey Hershgordon ends up in NYC after a brief stint in Boston? I'd say pretty good. Boston has 5+ stations all with significant budgets even though the biz has taken a major financial hit and isn't what it was 20 years ago.
I believe Ch.7 sent former Ch.10 weather girl to Today (and certain wealth) so the two "Rutgers girls" who practically walked in off the street to WJAR have done very well.
Providence is a great market to pass through if you have talent, camera presence or both. The three Providence sta's meanwhile, will continue to take college grads and see who has some ability, without paying them much.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like we're losing another guy who covered URI.

https://www.independentri.com/sports/ar ... ed034.html
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Looks like we're losing another guy who covered URI.

Aw, that sucks that Will is shifting to being a freelancer, but it isn't surprising. One of the great guys of the business - always really mellow, and had a great knack for a funny, dry comment when he did pagination once or twice a week at NDN.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I love watching Family Feud when the nightly news gets to be too much to watch :lol:

Morey became Sports Director when Yianni Kourakis left to take a job with a station down in Florida. His wife got a job offer down there so they relocated. Definitely miss Yianni. It's definitely clear these stations aren't keeping people very long anymore, TV is a REALLY tough gig.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

News media has changed considerable over the years. RI was considered a mid major market in years past. Back then you would see talent stay for a lifetime, with some defection to Boston which is a larger market.

Now the talent here is marginal and it is a stepping stone for journalists to land somewhere else. The salaries here have plummeted and newbies barely make a living wage.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Except for Storm Team 10, it seems to be a revolving door for the weather folks. New sport casters leave me with who dat.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 7 months ago News media has changed considerable over the years. RI was considered a mid major market in years past. Back then you would see talent stay for a lifetime, with some defection to Boston which is a larger market.

Now the talent here is marginal and it is a stepping stone for journalists to land somewhere else. The salaries here have plummeted and newbies barely make a living wage.
From what I understand the salaries in the bigger markets are down these days as well. TV news used to be very much driven by on air personalities. Stations therefore had to pay their big names as they were so closely identified with the station brand. That has changed as on air talent is not as big a factor today. Many stations have pushed out their longtime on air staff members that had big salaries. It has happened in places such as Boston. The replacements are less experienced and paid less. They are seen as inter-changeable parts that can be swapped in and out whenever needed.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Does anyone under 40 actually watch local news?
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

STC wrote: 7 months ago Does anyone under 40 actually watch local news?
I follow the sports guys on Twitter and IG. Other than that you could put a gun to my head and I wouldn't be able to name one local anchor unless Patrice Wood/Doug White haven't retired yet.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 7 months ago
I follow the sports guys on Twitter and IG. Other than that you could put a gun to my head and I wouldn't be able to name one local anchor unless Patrice Wood/Doug White haven't retired yet.
Same here. Other than some sporting events, I can't remember the last time I watched linear TV.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We can all just hope that Friar Frank Carpano exits the local news soon. It is many decades overdue.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago We can all just hope that Friar Frank Carpano exits the local news soon. It is many decades overdue.
he sucks. the absolute friggin worst.

the 'local' sports guy, butchers names of big market athletes on air over and over and over. it's unbelievable. Any in-market 'sports guy/girl' should never, never, ever, under no circumstances ever not pronounce the name of a Red Sox, Patriot, Celtic, Bruin correctly. Ever.

sit in your dressing and practice it over and over until you get it right or leave the athletes name out of your mouth.

Awful.

end rant.

sorry. he blows.

Ok now i'm done.
1 x
:lol:
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LOL. I do! Only Channel 10 though.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Looks like we're losing another guy who covered URI.

Without knowing anything about his financial situation, he's lucky to be able to be a full-time dad. Mrs. Red and I both hoped we could make that work with Little Red, but the numbers never added up.

If you're reading this, Will, treasure these days. They'll go by twice as fast as you can possibly imagine.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.