Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: Practice Facility

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 8 months ago They really oughtta get new locker rooms as part of the weightlifting facility, too.
I'm sure you are joking - so why not suggest locker rooms for academic advising as well?

Seriously, the practice facility, locker rooms and weight lifting facility should be co-located. They are all for the exclusive use of the basketball programs. Piece-meal improvements are wasteful and inefficient. If we were starting from scratch, then they would be co-located.

Then again, at this point in time, URI is probably doomed to be a second tier basketball school. But, at least our AD is a very nice, likeable person.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago Y’all are too nice wasting your time replying to 72.
y’all - now you are speaking my language !

One thing that is very noticeable is that the people in Charleston are soooo much nicer than where I moved from - it is unbelievable - and in that spirit I’ll just say that I am very happy that we have a practice facility - much needed and it will help us get back to the upper tier of the conference and relevant again.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 8 months ago
KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago Y’all are too nice wasting your time replying to 72.
y’all - now you are speaking my language !

One thing that is very noticeable is that the people in Charleston are soooo much nicer than where I moved from - it is unbelievable - and in that spirit I’ll just say that I am very happy that we have a practice facility - much needed and it will help us get back to the upper tier of the conference and relevant again.
We got out of there about 7 years ago. Really, you can move from CT to just about anywhere...and get the same result ;)
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I know there's been some talk about the locker rooms being too far away or whatever...that's ridiculous. This practice facility looks beautiful and it's a big time upgrade. The players are going to love it. Thank you again to the extremely generous donors!!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 8 months ago I know there's been some talk about the locker rooms being too far away or whatever...that's ridiculous. This practice facility looks beautiful and it's a big time upgrade. The players are going to love it. Thank you again to the extremely generous donors!!
Practice facility is #1 in layout.
Weight room is #4
Physical Therapy room is #2
Academic assistance and study room is #3

In between Practice Facility (Formerly Tootell West) and Weight Room (Formerly Tootell East) are the 3 Swimming Pools.

Don't know how the Practice Facility could be any closer to the MBB and WBB Locker Rooms.
37962DD7-9623-4318-B1EA-9A74FC97360C.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Practice Facility is looking great

Several were concerned about the Practice Facility not having its own MBB and WBB Locker rooms and/or the distance from the new Practice Facility to the Locker Rooms was considered extreme by some here.

The Green line shows the distance/path to the door taking you to the MBB Locker Room.

Player departs practice facility (1) then turns right and walks down the short URI Rowing Corridor and by the Rowing Workout Room, then go down a short stairway, quick left and you can see in picture the Doors with MBB Locker Room Signage.

I'd estimate this walk less than 2 minutes.
EB3F64DF-345B-4D5A-9ADD-BBFD18281EBC.jpeg
929B9CB7-2444-4E9C-A52E-2857CF428D25.jpeg
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Improvement work to Keaney Gym Entrance continues.....

D48FDA1E-05E8-470D-B1B7-D766769E2E1B.jpeg
3A463963-D066-4F22-99A6-D34CA589C48D.jpeg
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What's with the ugly doors?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I believe those doors are existing. Looks like they’re ripping out the bluestone. Hopefully they’re just resetting the stone and it’s not just concrete but, we’ll see.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The doors are the same. Painted.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 8 months ago
rhodyrudder wrote: 8 months ago They really oughtta get new locker rooms as part of the weightlifting facility, too.
I'm sure you are joking - so why not suggest locker rooms for academic advising as well?

Seriously, the practice facility, locker rooms and weight lifting facility should be co-located. They are all for the exclusive use of the basketball programs. Piece-meal improvements are wasteful and inefficient. If we were starting from scratch, then they would be co-located.

Then again, at this point in time, URI is probably doomed to be a second tier basketball school. But, at least our AD is a very nice, likeable person.
But we are NOT starting from scratch 72.

The walk from locker rooms, weight lifting, academic assistance, physical therapy AND the Ryan Center are all together. No need to go outdoors to access any of these locations in January.

You complained about spending $7.9 million for the practice Facility.

Champions Center was a $30 million expenditure for a separate building at UMASS.

It's a 3 minute walk outside to the Mullins Center. Players shovel the snow as part of their fitness training to get between buildings.

Fact is URI now has s beautiful Practice Facility for both teams to use. They get to keep one locker Room for both the practice Facility and the Ryan Center. Nice to be able to keep all your stuff in one place.
I like having everything in one facility all connected - no need to go outdoors.

We didn't start from scratch. It's. It a separate building. I like what we designed. Maybe once you get a tour and see it you will be impressed. Talk to the players, Coaches and staff of both Men's and Women's Teams and see how they like the facilities they now have. I'm sure they will have a tour for the Season Ticket Holders.

https://www.umass.edu/cp/champions-center
69FD0849-79E5-44F8-8829-FABB231EBD4F.png
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 8 months ago The main basketball locker rooms for both men and women should be at the Practice Facility and not the Ryan Center. The locker rooms at the RC should be used for games only. The current setup is crazy. Do you think UMass players walk over to the Mullins Center locker rooms when they have a practice in their practice facility? Or PC players to the AMP? Solve the water problem in the old racquetball courts and build locker rooms with stairs from the practice facility. How hard can this be?

Mullins Center and AMP are not connected. AMP is not even walkable from PC Training Facility.

Ryan Center is connected and easy to walk between:

Brookside Dorm
Ryan Center
Academic Assistance
Weight Training
Locker Rooms

Don't even have yo walk outdoors. Plus you can interact with athletes from other teams as well if you like.

Once you tour the Practice Facility you might formulate a different opinion. I think it's great.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago ...

Champions Center was a $30 million expenditure for a separate building at UMASS.
My only complaints about spending $7.9M was how little we got for our money, and what we got should have been funded by URI as routine maintenance. UMass got a separate building with co-located facilities for multiple sports. URI is not going to win any facilities comparisons versus UMASS ot any P5 schools.

The administrations touted much more than they delivered - the West Gym with a fresh coat of paint and a new floor.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My only complaints about spending $7.9M was how little we got for our money, and what we got should have been funded by URI as routine maintenance. UMass got a separate building with co-located facilities for multiple sports. URI is not going to win any facilities comparisons versus UMASS ot any P5 schools.

The administrations touted much more than they delivered - the West Gym with a fresh coat of paint and a new floor.
Agree that your complaint was what we were getting for the money.

I'd say from a value standpoint that converting Tootell West was a good decision. Personally I like using Tootell West for playing basketball in, prefer it to Mackal, always have. But that's personal. Using Tootell West makes sense. Already there, close to Ryan, Academic Assistance, Locker Rooms, Weight Training, Physical Therapy and Athlete's Dorm. It's a good location. Makes sense. Imaging the cost to add Tootell West on? Probably would have been $20 million.

Maybe we would have gotten nothing at all.

Other than building a separate building as UMASS did which today would cost $40 million or more, I would not change a thing. It was a good, practical decision. I'd be more interested at this point in what happens to Meade and where our ultimate landing spot is in the rapidly changing Football and All Sports environment.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I thought it was suppose to be done by now
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 8 months ago I thought it was suppose to be done by now
It was
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Probably delayed because they were wondering so much about how they could shorten the walk, and whether they could fit in a monorail there. /s
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 8 months ago
Probably delayed because they were wondering so much about how they could shorten the walk, and whether they could fit in a monorail there. /s
Moving sidewalk like at T.F. Green between Terminal and Rental Cars although it will be much shorter that that.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

SGreenwell wrote: 8 months ago
Yeah, but look at what the monorail did for the North Haverbrook program!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm looking for part time work. I can offer piggy back rides to and from the locker room.
6 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI is a perennially underfunded program, both from a capital investment side and the annual operating budget – revenue/expense side. We can clearly see the deficiencies in the investment side with the low quality of the athletics facilities (ex Ryan Center) and via the internet we can compare our facilities with peer institutions and sadly come to the conclusion that we have some of the worst overall facilities in all D1. This is also visibly true of the budget side – the lack of charter flights and a weak marketing effort, for example, but it also true of items less visibly known for all sports, like size of coaching staff, the size of team rosters, coaches pay scales, etc. as compared to peer rivals.

These should be well understood by all URI supporters, so for you to continually come onto this forum offering out of context remarks that ignore this background as you shell out criticism of university officials and the athletics staff for not doing the job well, is not appreciated. You can complain all you want that URI’s new practice facility doesn’t measure up to the one at UMass or PC, but the truth is that the facility opening soon is way better than nothing at all. Rightful criticism is always welcomed, but to offer up negative comments all the time is wearisome.

So my advice is rather than making snide remarks on a basketball forum that reaches at best 300 people, you should direct your attention to your local state officials and agitate constantly for better funding for the state’s flagship educational institution. And more importantly significantly increase any donation you make to URI Athletics! Adding some positivity to your presence on this board would be certainly welcomed.
8 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Obadiah wrote: 8 months ago

URI is a perennially underfunded program, both from a capital investment side and the annual operating budget – revenue/expense side. We can clearly see the deficiencies in the investment side with the low quality of the athletics facilities (ex Ryan Center) and via the internet we can compare our facilities with peer institutions and sadly come to the conclusion that we have some of the worst overall facilities in all D1. This is also visibly true of the budget side – the lack of charter flights and a weak marketing effort, for example, but it also true of items less visibly known for all sports, like size of coaching staff, the size of team rosters, coaches pay scales, etc. as compared to peer rivals.

These should be well understood by all URI supporters, so for you to continually come onto this forum offering out of context remarks that ignore this background as you shell out criticism of university officials and the athletics staff for not doing the job well, is not appreciated. You can complain all you want that URI’s new practice facility doesn’t measure up to the one at UMass or PC, but the truth is that the facility opening soon is way better than nothing at all. Rightful criticism is always welcomed, but to offer up negative comments all the time is wearisome.

So my advice is rather than making snide remarks on a basketball forum that reaches at best 300 people, you should direct your attention to your local state officials and agitate constantly for better funding for the state’s flagship educational institution. And more importantly significantly increase any donation you make to URI Athletics! Adding some positivity to your presence on this board would be certainly welcomed.
if you can't take the heat, get out the kitchen.
0 x
:lol:
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Obadiah and Ramster are my KB MVP’s (Most Valuable Posters) of the day for their posts above. Well done! Go Rhody!

72, back to the drawing board for you.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Obadiah wrote: 8 months ago ...
URI is a perennially underfunded program, both from a capital investment side and the annual operating budget – revenue/expense side. We can clearly see the deficiencies in the investment side with the low quality of the athletics facilities (ex Ryan Center) and via the internet we can compare our facilities with peer institutions and sadly come to the conclusion that we have some of the worst overall facilities in all D1.
I have little hope for additional State funding. I want excellence in all programs we offer even at the cost of fewer programs. Sadly, the only solution I see is the elimination of the football program which involves/saves ~56 scholarships and ~56 women's scholarship (for Title IX compliance), numerous staff positions and significant operating costs. This would provide more than the necessary money to field excellent programs in remaining sports. With the money that remains, I would upgrade a M & W hockey program to the D1 level.

It is what I suggest or continue to have as you said "some of the worst overall facilities in all D1". I have been suggesting the above for years. But as the late Richard Gelles said "show me a weak program at URI and I'll show you one with a strong external constituency".
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

URI is a perennially underfunded program, both from a capital investment side and the annual operating budget – revenue/expense side. We can clearly see the deficiencies in the investment side with the low quality of the athletics facilities (ex Ryan Center) and via the internet we can compare our facilities with peer institutions and sadly come to the conclusion that we have some of the worst overall facilities in all D1.
I have little hope for additional State funding. I want excellence in all programs we offer even at the cost of fewer programs. Sadly, the only solution I see is the elimination of the football program which involves/saves ~56 scholarships and ~56 women's scholarship (for Title IX compliance), numerous staff positions and significant operating costs. This would provide more than the necessary money to field excellent programs in remaining sports. With the money that remains, I would upgrade a M & W hockey program to the D1 level.

It is what I suggest or continue to have as you said "some of the worst overall facilities in all D1". I have been suggesting the above for years. But as the late Richard Gelles said "show me a weak program at URI and I'll show you one with a strong external constituency".
Ah yes, the idea that reducing the size of the athletic department will somehow magically increase the amount of budget athletics gets. Brilliant.

I also like your idea that somehow cutting a program that costs URI a few hundred thousand a year, to bring up 2 programs costing millions of dollars a year, is somehow financially sensible. Especially when you take into account that 20,000 people went to Rhody football games last year, and maybe 1/10th of that attended hockey games. Nevermind all of the other things that URI would have to do infrastructure-wise to support D1 hockey that aren't in place now.

Plus the "cutting football" idea is a pretty irrelevant, tired, and stupid argument considering the team has been ranked in the top 25 for FCS for the majority of the past few years, along with putting out multiple NFL players in that time.

Thankfully, considering the state set aside $50M for a new football stadium, track, soccer, and other facilities, your 1st point is moot.

Sometimes I hate that you post here and that people associate you with URI sports via this board, but then I remember what a lonely, sad existence you attempt to carve in your life outside of the internet, and I guess I almost feel bad.

I can't imagine you ever played sports based on your complete and total lack of knowledge of anything athletic, but I am curious as to where your head injuries came from.

If we're going to continually be subjected to the brain drippings of an invalid, I'd at least like to know the backstory.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago

Ah yes, the idea that reducing the size of the athletic department will somehow magically increase the amount of budget athletics gets. Brilliant.

I also like your idea that somehow cutting a program that costs URI a few hundred thousand a year, to bring up 2 programs costing millions of dollars a year, is somehow financially sensible. Especially when you take into account that 20,000 people went to Rhody football games last year, and maybe 1/10th of that attended hockey games. Nevermind all of the other things that URI would have to do infrastructure-wise to support D1 hockey that aren't in place now.

Plus the "cutting football" idea is a pretty irrelevant, tired, and stupid argument considering the team has been ranked in the top 25 for FCS for the majority of the past few years, along with putting out multiple NFL players in that time.

Thankfully, considering the state set aside $50M for a new football stadium, track, soccer, and other facilities, your 1st point is moot.

Sometimes I hate that you post here and that people associate you with URI sports via this board, but then I remember what a lonely, sad existence you attempt to carve in your life outside of the internet, and I guess I almost feel bad.

I can't imagine you ever played sports based on your complete and total lack of knowledge of anything athletic, but I am curious as to where your head injuries came from.

If we're going to continually be subjected to the brain drippings of an invalid, I'd at least like to know the backstory.
Fucking savage
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You're mostly right in this, but the hockey programs wouldn't cost millions of dollars a year, what they draw as a club team is irrelevant because they would obviously draw better as a varsity sport, and the Boss Arena could host D1 hockey tomorrow even if not at the Hockey East level. Other than that, carry on
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago Especially when you take into account that 20,000 people went to Rhody football games last year,
20,000 - that equals the attendance at less than 4 home basketball games or D1 hockey games in a decent size arena.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago

You're mostly right in this, but the hockey programs wouldn't cost millions of dollars a year, what they draw as a club team is irrelevant because they would obviously draw better as a varsity sport, and the Boss Arena could host D1 hockey tomorrow even if not at the Hockey East level. Other than that, carry on
Last quote I heard was $3M per team with scholarships, insurance, staff, ice time, transpo, infrastructure, etc.

Last year URI football spent $5.4M against just shy of $5M in revenue. That's nothing for an athletic department, like all athletic departments, that is not meant to be a profit center. It's a marketing arm.

So the "saving money" argument is pretty irrelevant, as I can't imagine the hockey team would come CLOSE to profitable for a very long time - if ever - while being in the same ballpark for expenses.

I'm sure it might draw "better" - but if we're talking about our existing facilities that are dumps...Boss ain't much better. It's as old as the Ryan Center with no upgrades. It's a muni rink - great for beer league and mites - but embarrassing by D1 standards.

Not sure Hockey East just hands out admission and revenue sharing just because you want to start a team.

I love hockey. Played hockey at Boss. My kids will start playing hockey at Boss. It's just not a realistic scenario right now - nevermind the idea that it would replace football. Non-starter.

Typical suggestion by the resident kook though.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Last quote I heard was $3M per team with scholarships, insurance, staff, ice time, transpo, infrastructure, etc.

Last year URI football spent $5.4M against just shy of $5M in revenue. That's nothing for an athletic department, like all athletic departments, that is not meant to be a profit center. It's a marketing arm.

So the "saving money" argument is pretty irrelevant, as I can't imagine the hockey team would come CLOSE to profitable for a very long time - if ever - while being in the same ballpark for expenses.

I'm sure it might draw "better" - but if we're talking about our existing facilities that are dumps...Boss ain't much better. It's as old as the Ryan Center with no upgrades. It's a muni rink - great for beer league and mites - but embarrassing by D1 standards.

Not sure Hockey East just hands out admission and revenue sharing just because you want to start a team.

I love hockey. Played hockey at Boss. My kids will start playing hockey at Boss. It's just not a realistic scenario right now - nevermind the idea that it would replace football. Non-starter.

The Boss Arena is not a dump and could be a perfectly fine Atlantic Hockey arena today with no upgrades and could be a fine fit in the ECAC with fairly minimal upgrades. Also I'm not sure that quote you heard was accurate. For instance, why would we be buying ice time in our own arena? And those are just the costs, that doesn't include revenue we'd be bringing in.

I'd love hockey here, but realize it probably won't happen in my lifetime. Not even really interested in arguing the point anymore, just want the public information about it to be as accurate as possible
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

"Ah yes, the idea that reducing the size of the athletic department will somehow magically increase the amount of budget athletics gets. Brilliant."

Per an alum,when BU dropped FB one argument was the influx of cash would go to the other programs and would take off like a rocket.
Then they dropped baseball & wrestling.
I knew somebody on a PC trustees board and he said hockey was the single biggest drain on the budget. Not sure if was before or after they dropped baseball.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

The Boss Arena is not a dump and could be a perfectly fine Atlantic Hockey arena today with no upgrades and could be a fine fit in the ECAC with fairly minimal upgrades. Also I'm not sure that quote you heard was accurate. For instance, why would we be buying ice time in our own arena? And those are just the costs, that doesn't include revenue we'd be bringing in.

I'd love hockey here, but realize it probably won't happen in my lifetime. Not even really interested in arguing the point anymore, just want the public information about it to be as accurate as possible
Comcast, global, spectracore, whatever the management group is called now, has driven Boss into the ground. you do know the rink is currently closed right? and has been for the last two weeks.

they lost the ice 3 times this summer. 3 times!!! why?, you may ask... the electric and compressors dont work. poorly maintained facility which is par for the course. can't imagine what it's costing to fix that mess.

there is a lot of lipstick on that pig. while on the 'outside' it's not a dump, it's relatively clean, the guts sure are full of diarrhea.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well that is new information. I knew they were closing it once to redo the ice, but that is standard maintenance for every single rink going.

Is it the Oak View Group's responsibility to maintain the facility or do they just handle the management like staffing and scheduling? Or is the University responsible for maintaining it?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PC has a nationally regarded hockey program, plays in the most populous city and draws 2-3k tops, no?
The idea that a URI hockey team is going to generate anything significant in terms of revenue is preposterous.
It's the 4th or 5th most popular sport for a reason. The only dumber thing 72 has ever said was his take on Jimmy Baron's foul shooting; dump football for hockey is #2 in his hall of shame. With many more nipping at the buds.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes, Providence draws 2491, but their hockey program isn't what it was a few years ago and they're fighting the PBruins for hockey attendance, which is a losing battle. They're only 34th in the country in average attendance.

This isn't an argument to get rid of football for hockey, but that said, even being only 34th in the country in attendance and fighting the PBruins for the market, they still drew 42,354 people to their 17 games last year vs. the 23,089 people our nationally ranked football team brought in. Yes, their average was lower, but quantity of games needs to be considered when talking about fan size, tickets sold, and yes, revenue.

The idea that a URI hockey team wouldn't generate revenue is what's preposterous. You can make plenty of arguments why URI shouldn't have a hockey program unfortunately. We don't need them to be dishonest or flat out wrong
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This thread is a absolute hoot!

Hockey haters on full attack in a hoops practice facility thread.

😂🤣😂
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When’s the Robbin cutting for the Practice facility?
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago When’s the Robbin cutting for the Practice facility?
Are they sacrificing a robin to the basketball gods???

Whatever it takes...
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hopefully we hire a butcher for that. Need someone with experience for the job.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I see we have now made it to the annual football vs hockey program phase of the year...
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 8 months ago I see we have now made it to the annual football vs hockey program phase of the year...
Hopefully we get off to a good start tonight, go on to the playoffs, and settle the argument for a while.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Well that is new information. I knew they were closing it once to redo the ice, but that is standard maintenance for every single rink going.

Is it the Oak View Group's responsibility to maintain the facility or do they just handle the management like staffing and scheduling? Or is the University responsible for maintaining it?
update, Boss now closed until Oct. 2.

The rink will be closed until October 2nd due to extensive electrical issues that require more repair than initially anticipated.

Over the next few weeks, the rink will be addressing the electrical lines, dehumidification system, and replacing all four compressor motors that are essential for making and maintaining the ice. While the university has approved the necessary funding to expedite the repairs, the sourcing time for the parts and repairs is longer than expected. To ensure the rink can operate again as soon as possible, temporary mobile units will be brought in to run the compressors, as the replacement motors will take around 6 weeks to be sourced.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 7 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Well that is new information. I knew they were closing it once to redo the ice, but that is standard maintenance for every single rink going.

The rink will be closed until October 2nd due to extensive electrical issues that require more repair than initially anticipated.

Over the next few weeks, the rink will be addressing the electrical lines, dehumidification system, and replacing all four compressor motors that are essential for making and maintaining the ice. While the university has approved the necessary funding to expedite the repairs, the sourcing time for the parts and repairs is longer than expected. To ensure the rink can operate again as soon as possible, temporary mobile units will be brought in to run the compressors, as the replacement motors will take around 6 weeks to be sourced.
So reading "the university has approved the necessary funding" makes me think it's our responsibility to maintain the building, not Oak View Group. Great job by us letting a 20 year old building gifted to us by alumni fall into disrepair
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 7 months ago

So reading "the university has approved the necessary funding" makes me think it's our responsibility to maintain the building, not Oak View Group. Great job by us letting a 20 year old building gifted to us by alumni fall into disrepair
I agree, but the employees of Boss from the rink manager to the skate guards, to the ice techs, to the floor mopper, employed by the management company URI outources. but yes, 20 year old building run into the ground from the inside out. thats hard to do.
0 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

Without being too specific, I work for a nationally known equipment & service provider and have worked in all of the athletic complex buildings and buildings across campus for close to 20 years. The way they maintain the facilities on campus is deplorable and the antithesis of how anyone with half a brain would go about it but they simply don't have funding for proper PM programs.

The issues described above have been known about for several years and the dehumidification issue goes all the way back to the design. This has been present from day 1, the supply ductwork from the DHU only goes around three sides of the rink.
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Matt Keebler wrote: 7 months ago Without being too specific, I work for a nationally known equipment & service provider and have worked in all of the athletic complex buildings and buildings across campus for close to 20 years. The way they maintain the facilities on campus is deplorable and the antithesis of how anyone with half a brain would go about it but they simply don't have funding for proper PM programs.

The issues described above have been known about for several years and the dehumidification issue goes all the way back to the design. This has been present from day 1, the supply ductwork from the DHU only goes around three sides of the rink.
On brand for URI.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Matt Keebler wrote: 7 months ago Without being too specific, I work for a nationally known equipment & service provider and have worked in all of the athletic complex buildings and buildings across campus for close to 20 years. The way they maintain the facilities on campus is deplorable and the antithesis of how anyone with half a brain would go about it but they simply don't have funding for proper PM programs.

this is why we can't have nice things.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Or why the public sector has a build it-they will come mentality and then rarely fund the needed preventative maintenance. I was witness to a quick strike while things are hot fad(roller hockey) now that outdoor facility, dasher boards and the whole deal, is sitting needing maintenance or conversion to plastic “ice hockey”. Is pickle all next? Sorry very much off topic.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

section(105) wrote: 7 months ago Or why the public sector has a build it-they will come mentality and then rarely fund the needed preventative maintenance. I was witness to a quick strike while things are hot fad(roller hockey) now that outdoor facility, dasher boards and the whole deal, is sitting needing maintenance or conversion to plastic “ice hockey”. Is pickle all next? Sorry very much off topic.
What? They built it and the people did come. They’re still coming.

What? Ice hockey is a fad?

Fund the preventative maintenance? A 50 minute ‘hour’ at boss is $250. You pay for a full 60 minutes, you get ice for 50 and a 10 minute ice cut. Where is that money been going for the last 20 years? Someone else can do that math. Either the management company, URI, or a combination of both have run the guts of the building into the ground.

Available ice at boss sept-may is non existent. June/july/august, still pretty busy there. Much much busier than the empty RC and football field.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Guys, this is way more common than some of you may realize or maybe you all do realize it already. The quality within the construction industry and dare I say it, even the design industries are starting to deteriorate at an alarming rate in my opinion. I see it every day. I hear stories all of the time about engineers, who don't understand how concrete can't fit between rebar barely an inch apart or landscape architects who don't put together construction documents and leave it up to the installer or companies that reuse engineer details from an old job on other projects (which leave both themselves and the client liable for copyright infringement at the least and gross negligence at worst if something fails).
I hear companies constantly bitching about building inspectors when building code is the worst way to build something legally. I got a survey PDF from a survey company that had the topography lines drawn wrong. I watch as I drive by houses on a daily basis that have work being done that won't last 5 years. I'm lucky if I find a landscape company that can read a set of plans even though it has a legend.
Most builders don't even buy the right size nails required by code to build certain portions of a house. I had to order mine "special order" from Riverhead Building Supply because they only carried the next size down because that's what all the builders were using.
It's sad & scary. If you knew the stuff that I've seen & heard, you'd never want to get in your car and drive over a bridge or enter a building. Trying to get companies to not cut corners and to follow plans or to even get something designed properly in the first place is a tall task these days in my opinion. A lot of people want the easy way out, the easy money, on a job that is not meant to be easy, but see that is just it...the work is suppose to be hard and not meant for everyone, but more an more bite off more than they can chew and at the expense of the client, or in a worst case scenario, at the expense of people's lives.
When children are taught that their actions don't have consequences and they don't grow up with a sense of responsibility, they grow up to be the same way in adult form quite often. For some, there is no sense of accountability or responsibility to do a job right. I've been involved in commercial, public, & residential projects and all of them have the same exact underlying issues that get in the way; 1)Pride, 2)Greed, & 3)Lack of people with the courage to do what is right even when it is hard (very rarely is doing the right thing easy).
This stuff is only going to become more common as time goes on.
Do you think a person these days is more likely to:
A)Watch a YouTube video on how to do something wrong
OR
B)Read a 50+ page industry related book written by renowned, experienced licensed professionals on how to do something right
Last edited by The Dude 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey