Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by The Dude »

ATPTourFan wrote: 8 months ago Is this the season we get functional WiFi?
Is this the season Yorke gets the boot and we get a halfway decent PA guy?
**sigh** One can dream.
If I ever won the lottery I'd make a huge donation to the program with the condition that they'd have to fire him & hire someone decent.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

As much as I would like to see him gone, my guess is he will be back
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The Dude wrote: 8 months ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 8 months ago Is this the season we get functional WiFi?
Is this the season Yorke gets the boot and we get a halfway decent PA guy?
**sigh** One can dream.
If I ever won the lottery I'd make a huge donation to the program with the condition that they'd have to fire him & hire someone decent.
He's probably the reason there's no wi-fi, like, something about his chemical makeup and presence just absorbs or blocks all the wi-fi when he is in the building. I think we have to believe that until proven otherwise? (good-hearted shrug emoji?)
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago(good-hearted shrug emoji?)
Question mark box…
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 8 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago(good-hearted shrug emoji?)
Question mark box…
Exactly
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Looking forward to how much beer prices increased and how much concession service decreased this season.
2 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Ryan Center will be offering more open available parking spaces to choose from with shorter walks to the arena when you arrive for games this upcoming season. This new benefit to season ticket holders was achieved without new infrastructure efforts or money having to be spent.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 8 months ago The Ryan Center will be offering more open available parking spaces to choose from with shorter walks to the arena when you arrive for games this upcoming season. This new benefit to season ticket holders was achieved without new infrastructure efforts or money having to be spent.
I see what you did there
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Anyone know if JV will be back?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

JV should be on PA. Enough with the current situation. It's embarrassing.
10 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

JV is one of the best things we have going from an experience perspective . I’m scared to see a future losing season with no JV. We would have zero energy in the building.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We would be absolutely fine without a hype person. Pretty much all of us were able to cheer on Rhody without one and something tells me current college students could figure it out
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago We would be absolutely fine without a hype person. Pretty much all of us were able to cheer on Rhody without one and something tells me current college students could figure it out
Lol this is so wrong.

The current students are on the phones majority of the game and haven’t ever seen a winning team. Never really interested except a select few

Doubt many actually care, especially with last years team.

Without Vanner it would be absolutely crickets in there.
2 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 8 months ago JV should be on PA. Enough with the current situation. It's embarrassing.
This

1000% this

Please make this happen
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago We would be absolutely fine without a hype person. Pretty much all of us were able to cheer on Rhody without one and something tells me current college students could figure it out
Lol this is so wrong.

The current students are on the phones majority of the game and haven’t ever seen a winning team. Never really interested except a select few

What students?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Lol this is so wrong.

1,000,000 percent. This is almost as bad as your take about advertising in airports. Many arenas have “hype men” and we have a great one who at many times is sorely needed.
5 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I sense I am in the minority but I agree with this.

I'd love to put JV on the PA and lose the hype role entirely. A good PA presence can subtly do the work of a hype guy (think of the former Bruins announcer Jim Martin — whooooo!) just by being good at the job.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 8 months ago

I'd love to put JV on the PA and lose the hype role entirely. A good PA presence can subtly do the work of a hype guy (think of the former Bruins announcer Jim Martin — whooooo!) just by being good at the job.
You still need another person doing halftime games, announcing winners ect. So there’s always two roles anyways.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Lol this is so wrong.

It's crickets already with him and you're never going to get college students to be engaged when they have a middle aged chaperone leading the student section
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago
Lol this is so wrong.

1,000,000 percent. This is almost as bad as your take about advertising in airports. Many arenas have “hype men” and we have a great one who at many times is sorely needed.
A. He's objectively unqualified to be the person leading a college student section.

B. Name one good hype man leading a college student section. You hear plenty about top student sections, I've never heard one thing about a hype man.

C. The vast majority of us were able to create a home court atmosphere for Rhody without a hype man and it can be done again.

D. Everybody here hated the hype man position and shat on it constantly. It only changed when JV came on this board and people shriveled up like they went swimming in 33 degree water
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 8 months ago

You still need another person doing halftime games, announcing winners ect. So there’s always two roles anyways.
The argument isn't against an MC hosting events during the game, the argument is against having a middle aged man leading a college student section. The former is part of going to a game today. The latter is only done here and is cringey as hell
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 8 months ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 8 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago PC trying to make a Taylor swift song cool was absolutely embarrassing.
I am embarrassed. Or shall I say, it is emBARONsing that I can no longer sing YOU BELONG WITH MEEEEEEE without thinking of the Smith Hill Singalong Crew.
ECR smoke out !

emBARONsing !

Love it
I do what I can. :lol:
2 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

RhowdyRam02 you’re entitled to your own opinion and you’ve certainly never missed an opportunity to share yours about me and what I do.

The funny thing is…these days, I agree with you.

This will be my 16th and final (for real this time) season as Rhody’s hypeman. Though I’m not yet “middle aged”, I’ve made it clear over the past few seasons that I am too old to be leading the students & just don’t have the energy to do it any longer.

The good news is that last season a Ruckus leadership group (with elected positions) was finally established to provide real student input into songs, promotions, & gameday (including the idea for Mr. Brightside). The 8-9 students were also crowned the de facto leaders of the Ruckus to take that off my plate.

As everyone is well aware, due to an early string of ugly home losses, the Ruckus attendance was god awful and dwindled down to nothing as losses stacked up so the Ruckus leaders never got a real opportunity to make themselves known.

This season, outside of a pregame chant & maybe hyping up the crowd at the end of close games, you will not see me leading chants or engaging with the Ruckus as I’ve done for the last 15 seasons. I’ll continue to host promotions and games and then ride off into the sunset (unless sometime down the line Athletics finds an a different role that might suit me).

Sincerely,

Old Man JV
16 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thank you for all your dedication to the Rhody community and in game festivities, old man JV. :D And also (but not least) for all the time and effort you put into being our hype person.

I hope that the Athletics Dept sees its way to keep you engaged somehow - even if it is simply as an advisor to your successors.

On a separate note…was your dad JV, also? If so, I knew him when I was growing up at Rainone’s Gym and later during my time at Rhody in the early 80’s. A good and dedicated man from my perspective.
3 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 8 months ago Thank you for all your dedication to the Rhody community and in game festivities, old man JV. :D And also (but not least) for all the time and effort you put into being our hype person.

I hope that the Athletics Dept sees its way to keep you engaged somehow - even if it is simply as an advisor to your successors.

On a separate note…was your dad JV, also? If so, I knew him when I was growing up at Rainone’s Gym and later during my time at Rhody in the early 80’s. A good and dedicated man from my perspective.
Thanks man! Appreciate the kind words.

And yes, John Vanner (aka the original JV) is indeed my father! Retired from Rhody after 42 years a couple years back and although I’m biased, is a great guy.
6 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

You are not the only one who thinks he is agreat guy. His contritributions to our university and the athletic department from his days on Jack Kraft's staff, to his time in the legislature and his stellar work as an Associate AD are too numerous to list. Like him, you are a first class individual who continues to make your family, your friends and the fans very proud. Hopefullly, there is a transition to the scorer's table in your future.
6 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 8 months ago You are not the only one who thinks he is agreat guy. His contritributions to our university and the athletic department from his days on Jack Kraft's staff, to his time in the legislature and his stellar work as an Associate AD are too numerous to list. Like him, you are a first class individual who continues to make your family, your friends and the fans very proud. Hopefullly, there is a transition to the scorer's table in your future.
Well said, CD.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

JV is not JV

appreciate you immensely!
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote: 8 months ago RhowdyRam02 you’re entitled to your own opinion and you’ve certainly never missed an opportunity to share yours about me and what I do.

This will be my 16th and final (for real this time) season as Rhody’s hypeman. Though I’m not yet “middle aged”, I’ve made it clear over the past few seasons that I am too old to be leading the students & just don’t have the energy to do it any longer.

The good news is that last season a Ruckus leadership group (with elected positions) was finally established to provide real student input into songs, promotions, & gameday (including the idea for Mr. Brightside). The 8-9 students were also crowned the de facto leaders of the Ruckus to take that off my plate.

As everyone is well aware, due to an early string of ugly home losses, the Ruckus attendance was god awful and dwindled down to nothing as losses stacked up so the Ruckus leaders never got a real opportunity to make themselves known.

This season, outside of a pregame chant & maybe hyping up the crowd at the end of close games, you will not see me leading chants or engaging with the Ruckus as I’ve done for the last 15 seasons. I’ll continue to host promotions and games and then ride off into the sunset (unless sometime down the line Athletics finds an a different role that might suit me).

Sincerely,

Old Man JV
The funny thing is, I liked ATP's post saying you should be made our PA announcer. You and Joe Berardi split women's basketball and that should be done with men's basketball as well because you both do a better job as PA announcer than Dan Yorke.

I don't have a problem with you, I have a problem with your role. It stinks, it stinks, and it sucks, and there's no way to make it better and no person that could do it well. Hype people at sports games are everything wrong with current sporting events these days. Note there is a difference between a hype man and an MC that hosts in-game contests and so on. Having someone to basically tell the crowd when and how to yell is insulting to the fans that spent good money to attend and know how and when to cheer their team on and to have a person not in college leading a student section is insulting to a fanbase you're trying to build for the next 50 years.

So good riddance that the students are getting their student section back and that a hype person is going away. Hopefully that sunset you're riding into involves a bigger role than you have now as a PA announcer
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I for one, appreciate JV and how he is able to most nights turn lemons into lemonade with a uninspired student section.

It is time for him to assume the PA role, and to get rid of schreeeeeeetching Dan Yorrrrrrrke!
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

EZBuckets wrote: 8 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 8 months ago Thank you for all your dedication to the Rhody community and in game festivities, old man JV. :D And also (but not least) for all the time and effort you put into being our hype person.

Thanks man! Appreciate the kind words.

And yes, John Vanner (aka the original JV) is indeed my father! Retired from Rhody after 42 years a couple years back and although I’m biased, is a great guy.
Yep JV was a fantastic presence in Keaney Gym. EZBuckets chip off the ol’ block for sure!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago
EZBuckets wrote: 8 months ago RhowdyRam02 you’re entitled to your own opinion and you’ve certainly never missed an opportunity to share yours about me and what I do.

Sincerely,

Old Man JV
The funny thing is, I liked ATP's post saying you should be made our PA announcer. You and Joe Berardi split women's basketball and that should be done with men's basketball as well because you both do a better job as PA announcer than Dan Yorke.

I don't have a problem with you, I have a problem with your role. It stinks, it stinks, and it sucks, and there's no way to make it better and no person that could do it well. Hype people at sports games are everything wrong with current sporting events these days. Note there is a difference between a hype man and an MC that hosts in-game contests and so on. Having someone to basically tell the crowd when and how to yell is insulting to the fans that spent good money to attend and know how and when to cheer their team on and to have a person not in college leading a student section is insulting to a fanbase you're trying to build for the next 50 years.

So good riddance that the students are getting their student section back and that a hype person is going away. Hopefully that sunset you're riding into involves a bigger role than you have now as a PA announcer
Did, did you just say JV is insulting people who spend “good money” to go to the game by trying to get them to make noise?

His job is insulting? Are you serious?

Between your airport advertisement opinions and now this, not your best couple weeks.

Good lord dude.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

EZ buckets is cool..get off his case. The crazy loud music, at all times, so you can never have a conversation and the Ry-fi...are far bigger problems. If you're complaining about EZ...you have too much time on your hands.
6 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

EZ is awesome!! I love the energy he brings to a usually boring and quiet Ryan Center. I have more people tell me to sit down than actually stand up and cheer with me.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago EZ buckets is cool..get off his case. The crazy loud music, at all times, so you can never have a conversation and the Ry-fi...are far bigger problems. If you're complaining about EZ...you have too much time on your hands.
Agreed...especially about the volume of the music. There have been a few times I have gotten a small headache from the music due to the volume. Just because the attendance has dropped does not mean you need to compensate with music volume.
3 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I for one appreciate the awesome job that EZ Buckets does at the Rhody games. It is not easy to do, especially with no students and the demographics of the rest of the crowd but he does a very good job. Anything that could distract me from that wretched product on the floor last year was a welcome relief.
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

JV has done a fantastic job. Probably the last thing I'd ever complain about regarding the entire program and the Athletic Department itself.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So now we are bashing EZBuckets? Good god, we better be great this year. EZ is probably the best thing thing the Ryan Center has.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Although I have brief and limited view going in and out of my seats of the behind the scenes of what goes on to pull off the time out games etc, it appears there is a real choreography of all the players to make it work. Hats off to EZBuckets to put the products n the floor. The kids put into the oversized gear is always my fav.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Sincerely,

Old Man JV

Hey guys, it appears RhowdyRam02 has a problem with the "position/role/job" and not JV personally. Seems like the point might be getting lost. (As I try not to step on a hornets nest.)
With that being said, I do disagree, but I understand the viewpoint. I think a combination of electronic media (cell phones), a mediocre team (prior to and after Hurley's tenure), & the students being moved away from the bench areas led to students being less engaged in the game, which, in my opinion, made JV's position necessary, sadly (By "sadly" I mean I wish students were more engaged and still allowed to sit behind the benches. JV has done a great job in the role.). When ATP and I were at URI when the Ryan Center opened (dating myself here), as a student you were able to sit in the sections behind the benches and you were much more emerged in the game as a result. Plus, we definitely had an influence on the opposition. Opposing teams did not like playing in the Ryan Center and we had less capacity than some of the other A10 teams. Dayton always had a tough time at the Ryan Center. Things got so heated against Temple that Chaney sent in the goon squad. Below is a picture of the Cameron crazies. They are a renown group and they're right next to the court. Duke embraced it. URI did the opposite.
b88669f8-7777-4211-af60-b9d45237aff0.sized-1000x1000.jpg
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The best seats at the RC should be for student seating. They are a part of the show. Make it their team played by their classmates. Season ticket holders and per-game ticket holders should be seated behind the students. In the end, they will sell even more tickets and do better financially.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Lol this is so wrong.

It's crickets already with him and you're never going to get college students to be engaged when they have a middle aged chaperone leading the student section
Middle-aged? Really?! JV is younger than I am and I don't even have a damn wrinkle yet. Middle age starts at 45 and my guess is he's maybe 35 max. Very obtuse comment since my guess is you're at least 50.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think we should end any promotional messages during games if we are losing. Everyone is in a foul mood and I don’t want to turn them off to Kingston Pizza ads. There should only be promos read if we are winning by 20.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 7 months ago I think we should end any promotional messages during games if we are losing. Everyone is in a foul mood and I don’t want to turn them off to Kingston Pizza ads. There should only be promos read if we are winning by 20.
Sounds like fewer promos……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 7 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 7 months ago I think we should end any promotional messages during games if we are losing. Everyone is in a foul mood and I don’t want to turn them off to Kingston Pizza ads. There should only be promos read if we are winning by 20.
Sounds like fewer promos……..
I think we all know we know that these businesses are paying a significant amount of coin to have their businesses announced. Shall we cover the business signage around the RC concourse after an L, too?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

College kids can be engaged! No hype man here and not seeing any kids staring at phones.

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 7 months ago College kids can be engaged! No hype man here and not seeing any kids staring at phones.

That was, um, awesome....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 7 months ago College kids can be engaged! No hype man here and not seeing any kids staring at phones.

What a freaking atmosphere
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 7 months ago

What a freaking atmosphere
That wasn’t from the rhody game a couple of years ago, but it was just like it, believe it or not.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I very much doubt the atmosphere in the Ryan Center when URI comes out of the tunnel to face Johnson & Wales will be anything like that. :lol:
1 x