2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by theblueram »

The problem is coaches are not creative. If I was the coach of say Lipscomb and I had buy games against Duke, Kentucky ,Kansas etc, I would go to top 5* players and say you can go to Kentucky, but they expect you to win. Wouldn't you rather do something amazing? No one expects us to win. But if you do, you will be national news. If you are on Kentucky and beat us, well, everyone expected that and you get no news. And if you beat multiple top teams, you are cemented as a player. Plus, you have a cheesecake conference schedule after. And make the tournament.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago The problem is coaches are not creative. If I was the coach of say Lipscomb and I had buy games against Duke, Kentucky ,Kansas etc, I would go to top 5* players and say you can go to Kentucky, but they expect you to win. Wouldn't you rather do something amazing? No one expects us to win. But if you do, you will be national news. If you are on Kentucky and beat us, well, everyone expected that and you get no news. And if you beat multiple top teams, you are cemented as a player. Plus, you have a cheesecake conference schedule after. And make the tournament.
Yea man definitely, you solved the puzzle.

It’s just that easy.
3 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago The problem is coaches are not creative. If I was the coach of say Lipscomb and I had buy games against Duke, Kentucky ,Kansas etc, I would go to top 5* players and say you can go to Kentucky, but they expect you to win. Wouldn't you rather do something amazing? No one expects us to win. But if you do, you will be national news. If you are on Kentucky and beat us, well, everyone expected that and you get no news. And if you beat multiple top teams, you are cemented as a player. Plus, you have a cheesecake conference schedule after. And make the tournament.
I mean this sounds great, but what about when you get to conference play and none of your games are televised? What about if you can't attract enough players to go along with this and the ones you do get just become cannon fodder for the top teams? What about if top teams see what you're doing and then don't even schedule you?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago

It’s just that easy.
I can't believe no coach has thought of that. Geez, what are they doing all day?
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You can recruit players by telling them they will have for all intents and purposes, a live tryout in front of all these top teams and may get a better offer at the end of the season if they play well.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 8 months ago

It’s just that easy.
I can't believe no coach has thought of that. Geez, what are they is he doing all day?
I often wondered that about URI's HC over the 4 years following the departure of Dan Hurley.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 8 months ago You can recruit players by telling them they will have for all intents and purposes, a live tryout in front of all these top teams and may get a better offer at the end of the season if they play well.
It's not like every HC is doing the same thing recruiting wise. Teams are still Ranking each year by NET 1 to 353.

Some HC's very quickly went down the path of "Get Old - Stay Old". They focused on recruiting Transfers, maximizing players with extra Covid Year eligibility, Grad Transfers.
Some did a combination of Transfers and Freshmen
Some did it better than others
Some were able to keep their best roster players from transferring

Any strategy can work but the strategy must be executed well to be in the Top 75 Teams in the Country each year. URI has struggled since Hurley left. Hopefully turning the corner this season.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 8 months ago Our program appears to be a stop over place for coaches to come, build a noticeable buzz then move on, or no buzz then get canned. Don’t see anyone coming here for the long haul. No?
The overwhelming majority of places are.
Agreed. I was trying to think of a list of those schools - but it's small. And incredibly debatable.

Kentucky? Kansas? UCLA? UNC? Duke? UConn?

I mean - big brand names - but so many schools are just the coach in that moment. Like will Duke be anything without Coach K? Syracuse is nothing without Boeheim. Mich State without Izzo?

For the most part - a "program" is as much coach as it is everything else around it - but you need both. You could get lucky with a guy and a fit - like Schmidt in Olean, NY and McKillop in Davidson, NC. But it takes the investment to either get or keep a guy. A coach can come or go - but the practice facility is going to be there. The salary to bring in coaches. The NIL to bring in players. Everything else around the program matters to either keeping a guy or getting a guy.

We had the guy in Dan Hurley. We didn't make the investments needed to keep him. Because we started making the investments, we got a guy like Archie. If the investments continue, maybe we wind up with Arch long term and we have a built up program.

I think the stark contrast between what Dan did and what Dave Cox did was enough to keep our leadership doing what they need to to prevent falling off a cliff again.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago
section(105) wrote: 8 months ago Our program appears to be a stop over place for coaches to come, build a noticeable buzz then move on, or no buzz then get canned. Don’t see anyone coming here for the long haul. No?
Agreed. I was trying to think of a list of those schools - but it's small. And incredibly debatable.

I mean - big brand names - but so many schools are just the coach in that moment. Like will Duke be anything without Coach K? Syracuse is nothing without Boeheim. Mich State without Izzo?

For the most part - a "program" is as much coach as it is everything else around it - but you need both. You could get lucky with a guy and a fit - like Schmidt in Olean, NY and McKillop in Davidson, NC. But it takes the investment to either get or keep a guy. A coach can come or go - but the practice facility is going to be there. The salary to bring in coaches. The NIL to bring in players. Everything else around the program matters to either keeping a guy or getting a guy.

We had the guy in Dan Hurley. We didn't make the investments needed to keep him. Because we started making the investments, we got a guy like Archie. If the investments continue, maybe we wind up with Arch long term and we have a built up program.

I think the stark contrast between what Dan did and what Dave Cox did was enough to keep our leadership doing what they need to to prevent falling off a cliff again.
Granted with Hurley we didn't have all the program investments/enhancements in place, but still once UConn came calling, he would have been gone regardless.

As far as Archie, I think he still feels he has something to prove at the P5(now P4)/BE level and given the right opportunity once he succeeds here, he will probably trade up.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago

Agreed. I was trying to think of a list of those schools - but it's small. And it's incredibly debatable.

Granted with Hurley we didn't have all the program investments/enhancements in place, but still once UConn came calling, he would have been gone regardless.

As far as Archie, I think he still feels he has something to prove at the P5(now P4)/BE level and given the right opportunity once he succeeds here, he will probably trade up.
Yeah, I don't believe for a second Dan stays. I think he wanted to win a natty, and he had a much better chance of doing that at Uconn, which he did. It's incredibly rare to find old-school loyal coaches like McKillop and Schmidt. Most coaches bail. Yes, it was later than it should have been, but we gave him a fantastic offer to stay, and he still left.. I'll never trust a coach again, honestly. But at the end of the day they have to do what's best for them. Dan won a ring, and 100% made the right choice. It doesn't make me any less bitter that he left us..

If Archie gets us back on top, I predict he will also leave us. But let's get that feeling of winning championships again because that seems incredibly far away right now...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 8 months ago

Agreed. I was trying to think of a list of those schools - but it's small. And it's incredibly debatable.

Yeah, I don't believe for a second Dan stays. I think he wanted to win a natty, and he had a much better chance of doing that at Uconn, which he did. It's incredibly rare to find old-school loyal coaches like McKillop and Schmidt. Most coaches bail. Yes, it was later than it should have been, but we gave him a fantastic offer to stay, and he still left.. I'll never trust a coach again, honestly. But at the end of the day they have to do what's best for them. Dan won a ring, and 100% made the right choice. It doesn't make me any less bitter that he left us..

If Archie gets us back on top, I predict he will also leave us. But let's get that feeling of winning championships again because that seems incredibly far away right now...
Not to keep digging up the ghost of Christmas pass. But the fantastic offer we gave him was more promises than it was tangible.

It was a 1 year delay to start paying more and a 5 year delay on the practice facility. That's not a great offer. It's a great promise. And anyone who's been around URI at any level knows that a promise isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

And that offer was made a year after it should've been.

If When Archie gets us back on top, I don't think he'll leave us. I think we've finally seen what the investment cost is to get someone like him in, and we've seen what happens if the next guy is Dave Cox how fast you can fall into irrelevance.

I think on a personal level Archie enjoys being at a place where the standards are realistic. I think he's seen what the "next level" has for himself and his family, and he hates it. I think he'd rather win at a place like this and stay here - rather than be a pariah at some place with outlandish expectations.

One thing at a time. We're in a good place, the schedule is appropriate for where we're trying to go this year, and we'll be back on the top of this conference sooner than people think.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't discount that he'd want another opportunity at the P5 level, but I think we're better positioned to keep him than most coaches we traditionally have that have success here. Most coaches we get that are successful here we're getting them on the upswing and they haven't been to that upper level yet. He's been to the puppet show and he's seen the strings. Yeah, he might want another shot, but he could just as likely say I want to stay at a place I'm comfortable that cares about and invests in basketball
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago

I don't discount that he'd want another opportunity at the P5 level, but I think we're better positioned to keep him than most coaches we traditionally have that have success here. Most coaches we get that are successful here we're getting them on the upswing and they haven't been to that upper level yet. He's been to the puppet show and he's seen the strings. Yeah, he might want another shot, but he could just as likely say I want to stay at a place I'm comfortable that cares about and invests in basketball
Yeah there is always a slight chance he may decide to stay.

But after his not so good stint at Indiana, I feel he would want another opportunity at a higher level and prove he can win there.

We are really jumping ahead of ourselves now, let him first make us a championship level team here in the A10 and play in the NCAAT.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Not to keep digging up the ghost of Christmas pass. But the fantastic offer we gave him was more promises than it was tangible.

It was a 1 year delay to start paying more and a 5 year delay on the practice facility. That's not a great offer. It's a great promise. And anyone who's been around URI at any level knows that a promise isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

If When Archie gets us back on top, I don't think he'll leave us. I think we've finally seen what the investment cost is to get someone like him in, and we've seen what happens if the next guy is Dave Cox how fast you can fall into irrelevance.

I think on a personal level Archie enjoys being at a place where the standards are realistic. I think he's seen what the "next level" has for himself and his family, and he hates it. I think he'd rather win at a place like this and stay here - rather than be a pariah at some place with outlandish expectations.

One thing at a time. We're in a good place, the schedule is appropriate for where we're trying to go this year, and we'll be back on the top of this conference sooner than people think.
I agree with Blue Man on this for the most part. It definitely was too little and definitely much too late. It was the kind of thing they should have offered him no later than the spring of 2017. While it was difficult to turn down the UConn offer and I certainly don't begrudge him of that, if they offer him what we offered Archie Miller it certainly is a lot harder for him to say no to. It's the kind of foundation to have Hurley build/continue to build his own brand at URI as opposed to following up a legacy. I'd be foolish to think he still doesn't go, but you have to wonder if he stays - or at the very least we aren't choosing between Cox and a few other less than wow worthy candidates for his replacement.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I believe that Archie is a very good basketball coach, but I don't believe that he has a reputation with the players of today or that URI has the NIL resources to attract top recruits. A future success for URI is a conference championship, automatic NCAAT bid and a 9 seed. We are a minor league MBB team. When the train left the station we were not ready to get on board. Directionless.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s like 3 years removed from recruiting and landing top 50 players. Did kids change all that much in 3 years, No!

That said Archie didn’t win at Dayton with tons of 4 star kids. Look back at his rosters. He won in a tougher A10 without a roster of Top 100 players.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago He’s like 3 years removed from recruiting and landing top 50 players. Did kids change all that much in 3 years, No!

That said Archie didn’t win at Dayton with tons of 4 star kids. Look back at his rosters. He won in a tougher A10 without a roster of Top 100 players.
NIL has changed kids the second it was put into effect so I’d say they have changed in 3 years.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Except, for the most part, in our league it’s not a difference maker. Ie no one has resources in that area much different from
ours. We never competed with blue bloods for recruits.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 8 months ago

I agree with Blue Man on this for the most part. It definitely was too little and definitely much too late. It was the kind of thing they should have offered him no later than the spring of 2017. While it was difficult to turn down the UConn offer and I certainly don't begrudge him of that, if they offer him what we offered Archie Miller it certainly is a lot harder for him to say no to. It's the kind of foundation to have Hurley build/continue to build his own brand at URI as opposed to following up a legacy. I'd be foolish to think he still doesn't go, but you have to wonder if he stays - or at the very least we aren't choosing between Cox and a few other less than wow worthy candidates for his replacement.
Once Hurley accepted the UConn position, which was no great shock, almost everyone felt Cox was getting elevated to head coach.
Cox was associate HC and our top recruiter.
He was also ranked in the top 25 of assistant college basketball coaches.
Thorr felt the hire would keep the Hurley momentum going along with maintaining the continuity of the roster and keeping the highly regarded recruiting class.
Plus, Cox got a huge endorsement and recommendation from Dan.

"This is an important transition period for our basketball program, and we did our due diligence to make sure we hired the right person for the job," Rhode Island Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn said. "David’s professionalism and leadership ability earned him the position. I am thrilled to continue to build the Rhode Island basketball brand by partnering with a wonderful coach, mentor and teacher."
https://www.abc6.com/uri-elevates-david ... all-coach/

Unfortunately, it didn't work out well, wasn't the first time.

Meanwhile this thread 23-24 schedule got really sidetracked.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 8 months ago

Once Hurley accepted the UConn position, which was no great shock, almost everyone felt Cox was getting elevated to head coach.
Cox was associate HC and our top recruiter.
He was also ranked in the top 25 of assistant college basketball coaches.
Thorr felt the hire would keep the Hurley momentum going along with maintaining the continuity of the roster and keeping the highly regarded recruiting class.
Plus, Cox got a huge endorsement and recommendation from Dan.

"This is an important transition period for our basketball program, and we did our due diligence to make sure we hired the right person for the job," Rhode Island Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn said. "David’s professionalism and leadership ability earned him the position. I am thrilled to continue to build the Rhode Island basketball brand by partnering with a wonderful coach, mentor and teacher."
https://www.abc6.com/uri-elevates-david ... all-coach/

Unfortunately, it didn't work out well, wasn't the first time.

Meanwhile this thread 23-24 schedule got really sidetracked.
...by folks trying to convince themselves that hiring Cox was a a good move "in theory"? :lol:
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

https://www.hoophall.com/events/tip-off ... nt/tickets

Tickets go on sale next Friday for the mohegan sun game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

sevegny7 wrote: 7 months ago https://www.hoophall.com/events/tip-off ... nt/tickets

Tickets go on sale next Friday for the mohegan sun game.
What time are these games?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

The game times are still TBD for both games. But I am pretty sure you get both games with the one ticket.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"Mississippi State men’s basketball earns No. 20 preseason ranking"
by Ethan Lee 21 hours ago
https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2023/0 ... 20Bulldogs

Probably Miss. State and Northwestern in the finals at the HOF Tip-Off, Mohegan Sun.

We will probably be the underdog against Washington State.
They return 4 players that averaged over 12 minutes:
(Wing)Jabe Mullins- Averaged 8.4 pts (43% 3PT)
(F) Jakimovski- Averaged 7.7 pts/ 4.6 rebs.
Plus sophomores (F)Houinsou and (G)Darling.

Transfers:
(G)Yesufu- Grad PG Drake/Kansas.
(F) Jaylen Wells- Div 2 All-American, CCAA-POY, averaged 22 pts/ 8.7 rebs, 86% FT.
(PF/C) Isaac Jones- Idaho transfer All-Big Sky, averaged 19.4 pts/ 7.8 rebs was a 4* recruit and one of the top bigs in the portal.

Plus a large freshmen class.

Of course there is always an outside chance we upset Northwestern and end up playing Miss. State.

Northwestern finished 3rd in B10 in 22-23.
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten ... thwestern/
WHO’S GONE:
Chase Audige (14.1 PPG)
Robbie Beran (7.5 PPG)
Tydus Verhoeven (2.4 PPG)
Julian Roper II (4.4 PPG)

WHO’S BACK:
Boo Buie, G, (17.3 PPG)
Ty Berry, G, (8.5 PPG),
Brooks Barnhizer, G, (7.6 PPG),
Matthew Nicholson, C, (6.3 PPG)
Nick Martinelli, F, (2.6 PPG)
Luke Hunger, F, (2.7 PPG)

Transfer portal
Ryan Langborg, G, (12.7 PPG at Princeton)
Justin Mullins, G, (9.8 PPG at Denver)
Blake Preston, C, (6.7 PPG at Liberty)
Last edited by Jersey77 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Chris Jans the head coach @ Miss St formerly New Mexico St
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 7 months ago Chris Jans the head coach @ Miss St formerly New Mexico St
Yes Reef, we discussed him about 2 years ago as a HC probably getting an opportunity to trade-up.
They beat UConn in the 2022 NCAAT, Teddy Allen had 37 pts.
JH was supposed to transfer there, but it never happened.
Former Rhody transfer prospect Femi just ended up at NMSU from Seton Hall.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago
reef wrote: 7 months ago Chris Jans the head coach @ Miss St formerly New Mexico St
Yes Reef, we discussed him about 2 years ago as a HC probably getting an opportunity to trade-up.
They beat UConn in the 2022 NCAAT, Teddy Allen had 37 pts.
JH was supposed to transfer there, but it never happened.
Former Rhody transfer prospect Femi just ended up at NMSU from Seton Hall.
That’s right 77 I remember that
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

If I'm interpreting the website correctly, the Saturday games at Mohegan Sun will tip off at noon, with Rhody playing in the second game. No time listed for Sunday (though noon feels like a safe assumption).
20230903_174530.jpg
https://mohegansun.com/events-and-promo ... -1118.html
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cool no conflict with the Patsies on 11/19
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago

We finished 14th, 1 slot ahead of McGlade's Loyola addition
Never said it's McGlade's fault we finished 14th. That blame rides with Dooley, Bjorn, Hurley (who recommended Cox), Cox and partly on Miller who inherited a mess from Cox.
Hurley handed off to Cox a program flying high including Tyrese Martin and Jeff Dowtin both in the NBA. Cox did a poor assessment and development of Jermaine Harris who was a Top 100 recruit handed off by Hurley plus Fatts Russell.
Program was trending way up but Cox steadily rise the program down to where Miller got a poor handoff of talent as we saw last season.

A10 had an agreement with the Mid Major Mountain West Conference that looked promising. Then postponed due to Covid. No updates or news on that from McGlade since. What happened? Is there another conference we can pair with?
Big East manages Conference Battles with P5's.

While I look forward to attending the Delaware game at UBS and will attend it also says a lot about our schedule that I look forward to that game.

As A10 has become a 1 Bid conference and the NET ranking has steadily decreased the A10 is less attractive for MTE Tournaments.

Just as USC and UCLA pulled a surprise and bolted from the PAC 12 we could see top tier A10 teams bolt as well. Can't believe Dayton, VCU, SLU remain in a 1-Bid Conf for too long.

I don't dislike McGlade, I dislike her results.
Ramster I don't get why you keep calling it an automatic bid conference. Or a one-bid conference..

Recent bids by the A10.

3 17-18
2 18-19
2 19-20 (based on bracketology)
2 20-21
2 21-22
1 22-23

How is that a one-bid conference?

From what I've been reading you're implying that every A10 team has absolutely no chance at an at large, and the only thing that matters is the A10 tournament. Sometimes the at-large team wins the tournament, but that doesn't mean they weren't an at-large team.... Now if the next few years we only have a non at large automatic bid representing the NCAA tournament. Sure. I'll believe it. Until that happens, this is still a conference that has consistently landed 2 bids in most seasons.

Do you honestly think teams like VCU and Dayton will have no at-large resumes each year? Two programs that have been landing bids for years and years...How about St. Louis and Richmond? Davidson isn't gonna win again? Maybe not without their coach.. Is Frank Martin gonna do nothing big at Umass? Schmidt is one of the best coaches in the country. Is he not gonna build another at-large team for the rest of his career? And clearly, you don't have faith in Archie bringing us back either.. I don't get that at all.

Last year our top teams underachieved. We had teams projected to land at large bids, and they blew it. It happens... I think we will still have 1 or 2 potential at-large teams each season with a few bubble NIT teams. It's not what it was, but it's not the SWAC..Even when we suck it's still a top 12 conference.

And if teams in the A10 have no chance at an at large then none of us should be complaining about our schedule moving forward because it would mean nothing.
I'll put together a grid to show the decline.
It's not only about number of At-Large bids but also about the decline in seeding.
As I said earlier I'd put together a grid to not only show the decline in number of A10 Bids but also the decline in all important seeding.

2008-2009 in red highlight is when Bernadette McGlade took over

The lowest seed #3 was the year before McGlade. Next best seed was her 1st year

Of grave concern is the rapid deterioration of the highest seed of the A10 best representative.

Note in bold Red the best A10 Seed by year.

Last year McGlade was not present to award the Championship Trophy at the Barclay Center to VCU. She doesn't have Football to Manage in the A10 so one would think the A10 MBB Championship would garner some interest.

Would have also been good to be in Barclay to try to convince Dayton to accept a NIT bid versus deciding upon staying home.

For 4 straight years the A10 highest seed was 7th with URI being 7th. Since 2018 the A10 best has dropped to 8, 9, 10 and last year 12.
C44CCA78-BE3A-43E6-B20E-CA2642D963CC.png
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago

Ramster I don't get why you keep calling it an automatic bid conference. Or a one-bid conference..

Recent bids by the A10.

3 17-18
2 18-19
2 19-20 (based on bracketology)
2 20-21
2 21-22
1 22-23

How is that a one-bid conference?

From what I've been reading you're implying that every A10 team has absolutely no chance at an at large, and the only thing that matters is the A10 tournament. Sometimes the at-large team wins the tournament, but that doesn't mean they weren't an at-large team.... Now if the next few years we only have a non at large automatic bid representing the NCAA tournament. Sure. I'll believe it. Until that happens, this is still a conference that has consistently landed 2 bids in most seasons.

Do you honestly think teams like VCU and Dayton will have no at-large resumes each year? Two programs that have been landing bids for years and years...How about St. Louis and Richmond? Davidson isn't gonna win again? Maybe not without their coach.. Is Frank Martin gonna do nothing big at Umass? Schmidt is one of the best coaches in the country. Is he not gonna build another at-large team for the rest of his career? And clearly, you don't have faith in Archie bringing us back either.. I don't get that at all.

Last year our top teams underachieved. We had teams projected to land at large bids, and they blew it. It happens... I think we will still have 1 or 2 potential at-large teams each season with a few bubble NIT teams. It's not what it was, but it's not the SWAC..Even when we suck it's still a top 12 conference.

And if teams in the A10 have no chance at an at large then none of us should be complaining about our schedule moving forward because it would mean nothing.
It's not only about number of At-Large bids but also about the decline in seeding.
As I said earlier I'd put together a grid to not only show the decline in number of A10 Bids but also the decline in all important seeding.

Of grave concern is the rapid deterioration of the highest seed of the A10 best representative.

Last year McGlade was not present to award the Championship Trophy at the Barclay Center to VCU. She doesn't have Football to Manage in the A10 so one would think the A10 MBB Championship would garner some interest.

Would have also been good to be in Barclay to try to convince Dayton to accept a NIT bid versus deciding upon staying home.

For 4 straight years the A10 highest seed was 7th with URI being 7th. Since 2018 the A10 best has dropped to 8, 9, 10 and last year 12.

What metric was used for the A-10 Rank column in the chart?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The conference schedule will be coming out this afternoon
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Update: Sunday games at Mohegan Sun start at 1 p.m. (ticket prices also updated):

20230906_115228.jpg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 7 months ago

What metric was used for the A-10 Rank column in the chart?
RPI column is for all of the years.
NET provided from Warrennolan.com for past 3 years.
At Large and Seeding is now based on NET past 3 years

There is a RPI column and a NET column in the Grid

Note that last season the A10 was ranked 12th by NET and 11th by RPI

Most disturbing is the degradation trend in seeding of our best A10 Team over the past 15 years, or coincidently since the current Commissioner took over in 2008. It's not just about the Number of Bids each season.
B9AE7F72-33E4-42B2-A29F-B04F92AE8F81.jpeg
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And here are the dates for our conference games. Most of the times are still TBA

https://atlantic10.com/documents/2023/9 ... 23_24_.pdf
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This schedule I got from URI shows television for all games most notably ESPN+

We play 4 teams home-home
Fordham
George Mason
LaSalle
UMASS

George Mason Senior Night March 6

2023 Men's Basketball
Atlantic 10 Schedule
Ja. 3 - Saint Joseph's (ESPN+)
Jan. 9 - at Davidson* (ESPN+
Jan. 13 - Massachusetts (ESPN+)
Jan. 17 - at St. Bonaventure (ESPN+)
Jan. 20 - at Dayton (USA Network)
Jan. 24 - Fordham (ESPN+)
Jan. 27 - at George Mason (ESPN+)
Jan. 31 - La Salle (ESPN+)
Feb. 3 - Duquesne (USA Network)
Feb. 6 - at George Washington (ESPN+)
Feb. 11 - at Massachusetts (USA Network)
Feb. 18 - Loyola Chicago (CBSSN)
Feb. 21 - Richmond (ESPN+)
Feb. 25 - at La Salle (USA Network)
Feb. 28 - at VCU (CBSSN)
March 2 - Saint Louis (CBSSN)
March 6 - George Mason (ESPN+)
March 9 - at Fordham (ESPN+)
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

don't love it but it is what it is. I do like playing UMass twice every year. Other than that....we'd want Dayton/VCU and either SLU or SBU most years.

But I do love what some other conferences do even if it's a logistical nightmare. go through the schedule once then have the top NET teams play each other, so if URI is a surprising 60 NET and 2nd in the conference (in NET) after 14 games (once each vs. the other 14 members) - then they play teams 1, 3, and 4 in NET again to maximize. With 15 teams you might have to fudge the numbers and do groups of 3 instead of 4 after, but you get the gist.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's a must have with how our conference has been and how it's trending but our conference leadership is more worried about moving the league office from Newport News to Washington
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

YurView out of the picture?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 7 months ago YurView out of the picture?
Ratings concerns....
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

steviep123 wrote: 7 months ago don’t love it but it is what it is. I do like playing UMass twice every year. Other than that....we’d want Dayton/VCU and either SLU or SBU most years.

But I do love what some other conferences do even if it’s a logistical nightmare. go through the schedule once then have the top NET teams play each other, so if URI is a surprising 60 NET and 2nd in the conference (in NET) after 14 games (once each vs. the other 14 members) - then they play teams 1, 3, and 4 in NET again to maximize. With 15 teams you might have to fudge the numbers and do groups of 3 instead of 4 after, but you get the gist.
I would honestly settle for two games per season determined this way. So groups of 3 would be fine. Set aside the last Saturday in February and the first Saturday in March, when pretty much the whole league is going to be playing anyway. Every team gets one home game, one away game. (So no arena is holding more than one date open when it won’t host a game.) Set a date in mid-February to set the matchups based on the standings: First three teams play each other in a group, next three teams play each other in a group, etc.

Sadly, the conference leadership is probably not creative enough to get it done.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 7 months ago
Ratings concerns....
Broadcast info is not listed yet for most of the nonconference games …
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I haven't had Cox cable in at least 5 years, were they simulcasting the ESPN+ broadcast or did they have their own?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 7 months ago
Ratings concerns....

ESPN+ is shown in GoRhody Schedule for the following 8 OOC Games:

Central Connecticut State
Fairfield
Wagner
Johnson & Wales
Yale
Brown
New Hampshire
Northeastern

5 OOC Games not shown yet:
Northwestern
Washington State/Mississippi State
PC
College of Charleston
Delaware
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 7 months ago

Ratings concerns....

ESPN+ is shown in GoRhody Schedule for the following 8 OOC Games:

Central Connecticut State
Fairfield
Wagner
Johnson & Wales
Yale
Brown
New Hampshire
Northeastern

5 OOC Games not shown yet:
Northwestern
Washington State/Mississippi State
PC
College of Charleston
Delaware
Flo sports is licking their lips at those 5 OOC games
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No surprise that URI will not have one of the 18 slots for the nine A-10 Friday night ESPN games. Rhody will however will be near the top of the conference for the most streaming games on ESPN+ that attract few viewers other than fans of the teams playing in them. Three straight losing seasons and low expectations for the coming year have consequences.

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

God forbid we get to watch local college hoops without paying for another steaming service.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago No surprise that URI will not have one of the 18 slots for the nine A-10 Friday night ESPN games. Rhody will however will be near the top of the conference for the most streaming games on ESPN+ that attract few viewers other than fans of the teams playing in them. Three straight losing seasons and low expectations for the coming year have consequences.

Interesting which teams get these prime time Friday Night Games as 8 Teams will get at least 1 game:
Dayton - 5 games
VCU - 4 games
St Louis - 2 games
St Bonaventure - 2 games
Duquesne - 2 games
Loyola Chicago - 1 game
St Joseph's - 1 game
Fordham - 1 game

7 Teams get zero Friday Night games:
URI
UMASS
LaSalle
Richmond
George Mason
George Washington
Davidson
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we avoid Flo Sports this year thankfully
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 7 months ago
God forbid we get to watch local college hoops without paying for another steaming service.
"steaming", I see what you did there. Nice.
4 x