2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago
theblueram wrote: 8 months ago

Not making excuses Blueram, I just always felt it would take Archie longer than 2 years to make us a contender.
I also happen to think the A10 is not a cake walk and the college landscape for schools like us is a more difficult path than before.
The A10 is not a cake walk????????? It was a one bid league last year.
Still a top 10 conference and lots of parity in our league.
It was a one bid league. And it wasn't a top 10 conference. Parity? is that a pet dog, or is that something that means something? We do have a dog shit schedule this year if that's what you are talking about.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

The A10 is not a cake walk????????? It was a one bid league last year.
It was a one bid league. And it wasn't a top 10 conference. Parity? is that a pet dog, or is that something that means something? We do have a dog shit schedule this year if that's what you are talking about.
We are top 10 in 23-24. Aside from the P6, AAC, MWC, and WCC who else is better?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

IMO Blueram considering where we were, I think you are too tough on him and expecting too much too soon. It took Dan 3 years to turn things around and 5 to get a bid.
Dan was a freshman coach at freaking Wagner when we hired him. His first team had a bench of transfers that couldn't play. And we had the stink of Baron still on our shirts. Miller is a big boy. He coached Dayton to many NCAAT wins and then coached Indiana for 4 years before they left him. Where we were was in two consecutive NCAAT in 2017 and 2018. Cox was like JD. A bad hire in retrospect. But Miller? Cmon. It's not like we hired an unproven Hurley to run our team.
Granted he didn't have the Div.1 resume of Miller.
Remember Archie also stepped away from coaching for a year, so it put him behind.

When we hired Hurley he was considered a rising star and had the right connections.
He turned Wagner around in his 2nd season and prior to that was HC at top prep school St. Benedicts for 9 years.
Also was an assistant at Rutgers from 2001-2005
In addition, he had the tutelage from being the son of a HOF coach.
So, I wouldn't exactly call him green when he arrived.

Besides many would consider it much more difficult now than before.
The portal has hurt mid-majors more than it has helped.
NIL also makes it more difficult for schools like us to compete for quality recruits/transfers.
Also, expansion of the P5 and scheduling difficulties hasn't made things easier.
Compared to Miller, Hurls was green when he arrived. High school success, HOF lineage and "Wagner" is nice, but If he had come here and failed, it would have been far less of a shock (at the time) than if Miller were to fail here. Higher expectations definitely warranted.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We are top 10 in 23-24. Aside from the P6, AAC, MWC, and WCC who else is better?
Last year A10 was 12th Ranked NET

0617A1FD-0C82-497E-8D60-FEA792210E67.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 8 months ago

Actually I was discussing this upcoming season, and the A10 isn't or hasn't been a perennial 1-bid.
Besides C-USA has been decimated by the AAC.
Also I will take the A10 any day over the WAC which also had only 1 team in the NCAAT last season.
Just compare the history of both conferences.
Last edited by Jersey77 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago

Dan was a freshman coach at freaking Wagner when we hired him. His first team had a bench of transfers that couldn't play. And we had the stink of Baron still on our shirts. Miller is a big boy. He coached Dayton to many NCAAT wins and then coached Indiana for 4 years before they left him. Where we were was in two consecutive NCAAT in 2017 and 2018. Cox was like JD. A bad hire in retrospect. But Miller? Cmon. It's not like we hired an unproven Hurley to run our team.
Granted he didn't have the Div.1 resume of Miller.
Remember Archie also stepped away from coaching for a year, so it put him behind.

When we hired Hurley he was considered a rising star and had the right connections.
He turned Wagner around in his 2nd season and prior to that was HC at top prep school St. Benedicts for 9 years.
Also was an assistant at Rutgers from 2001-2005
In addition, he had the tutelage from being the son of a HOF coach.
So, I wouldn't exactly call him green when he arrived.

Besides many would consider it much more difficult now than before.
The portal has hurt mid-majors more than it has helped.
NIL also makes it more difficult for schools like us to compete for quality recruits/transfers.
Also, expansion of the P5 and scheduling difficulties hasn't made things easier.
Compared to Miller, Hurls was green when he arrived. High school success, HOF lineage and "Wagner" is nice, but If he had come here and failed, it would have been far less of a shock (at the time) than if Miller were to fail here. Higher expectations definitely warranted.
Not arguing NYG, just don't expect it this season.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Your Honor, can we take a recess ? :lol:

Nice job holding up under the questioning, Jersey.
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Fully expect tomatoes to be thrown my way, but after reading all of these comments, I have to say this:

It takes two to tango.

Everyone is bitching about the schedule; there are teams I'd love to see Rhody match up with. However, teams must AGREE to play! If a desired opponent doesn't reciprocate interest, then there is no game.

I'm sure there will be myriad responses as to why teams should play us, but the cold, hard reality is that if there's no compelling reason, we must play those that agree to a game. As Rhody improves, some will decide it's worth it. Others will continue to avoid us. We're going to go from 'not good enough' to 'too good' for certain teams. So be it.

Each year, play the best that you can find. This year's schedule doesn't excite the masses. If you are truly a 'fan', get out and support. Having a strong sixth man in the stands inspires confidence. Confidence leads to improbable wins. Wins leads to better opponents and more butts in the seats.

I'll continue to be a fan, as I have since about 1962. I prefer to channel my bitching to more lofty targets! LOL.

-musings from the great "not white yet" north....
9 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'll throw this out there since I'm getting old and bitching seems to like me right now. Pitino took over St. John on March 20. He pulled in 11 transfers and early bracketology has them last in in the NCAAT this year with an At Large bid. It doesn't take time in this new era. Not at all.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago I'll throw this out there since I'm getting old and bitching seems to like me right now. Pitino took over St. John on March 20. He pulled in 11 transfers and early bracketology has them last in in the NCAAT this year with an At Large bid. It doesn't take time in this new era. Not at all.
Big east > A10
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago
theblueram wrote: 8 months ago I'll throw this out there since I'm getting old and bitching seems to like me right now. Pitino took over St. John on March 20. He pulled in 11 transfers and early bracketology has them last in in the NCAAT this year with an At Large bid. It doesn't take time in this new era. Not at all.
Big east > A10
Pitino > Archie
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago
Big east > A10
Pitino > Archie
Strippers > quahogs
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Strippers = Pitino.

Couldn’t resist, PMM. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. :lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hahahahahaha you just compared one of the best basketball coaches of all time in the Big East to Archie Miller at URI.

Do better man, there’s no way you know this little about college basketball.
Last edited by Rhody15 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 8 months ago Strippers = Pitino.

Couldn’t resist, PMM. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. :lol:
If the shoe fits...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago
Hahahahahaha you just compared one of the best basketball coaches of all time in the Big East to Archie Miller at URI.

Just saying their are no excuses and no next year we will be better. Just this year. Each year is like a brand new slate. I am not looking forward to this team growing together. They either win this year, or we get a new team next year. Just threw the Pitino out there because the load of trash thrown on the court last year was horrific. I'll see what gets thrown out this year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just saying their are no excuses and no next year we will be better. Just this year. Each year is like a brand new slate. I am not looking forward to this team growing together. They either win this year, or we get a new team next year. Just threw the Pitino out there because the load of trash thrown on the court last year was horrific. I'll see what gets thrown out this year.
What exactly are your realistic expectations for this season?
And if we don't meet that, your solution is to keep rebuilding a new roster?
Sorry, but I don't think that is the answer as a matter of fact I feel that will just set us back further.
Hurley in 2013-2014 finished 11th, with that core group returning in 2014-2015 we finished 2nd.
That additional year of growth and development along with the team gelling was the key to our huge improvement.

Even if we struggle a bit this season, Archie needs to keep the players that he feels has plenty of upside and can take us to the next level.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sorry, but I don't think that is the answer as a matter of fact I feel that will just set us back further.
Hurley in 2013-2014 finished 11th, with that core group returning in 2014-2015 we finished 2nd.
That additional year of growth and development along with the team gelling was the key to our huge improvement.

Even if we struggle a bit this season, Archie needs to keep the players that he feels has plenty of upside and can take us to the next level.
You are kidding, right? If we suck this year, any player that excelled will be in the portal for greener pastures next year. FACT. Just watch.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Sadly you cannot project pass the current season as to who will be here anymore. It’s win now every season in this environment. Seeing players develop…what’s that? You’ll see how well our team developed them when they are playing at some other school if they have a good year here. I can be glass half empty, and often wrong and I hope I am now, but I don’t hold much hope for schools at our level being able to have consistent success with the current environment.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You are kidding, right? If we suck this year, any player that excelled will be in the portal for greener pastures next year. FACT. Just watch.
Still don't know what your expectations are this season but do have a feeling.
I expect us to be improved and trending in the right direction.
It is up to the staff to try and retain those players that will be an impactful piece going forward.
After all that has been Archie's philosophy in building the roster.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It is up to the staff to try and retain those players that will be an impactful piece going forward.
Listen to yourself. Archie's roster building prowess? He has an entirely new roster in year two!!!!! It's a new game kid. It's free agent, grab what you want. Win now or go home.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Listen to yourself. Archie's roster building prowess? He has an entirely new roster in year two!!!!! It's a new game kid. It's free agent, grab what you want. Win now or go home.
As bad and disappointing as last season was, most here were willing to give him a pass.
Now that he had a full year to recruit and reenforce/develop connections, let's see what becomes of this current roster.
It sounds like according to you we should have just abandoned recruiting at HS/prep level.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

As bad and disappointing as last season was, most here were willing to give him a pass.
Now that he had a full year to recruit and reenforce/develop connections, let's see what becomes of this current roster.
It sounds like according to you we should have just abandoned recruiting at HS/prep level.
Well yeah. Why should we develop a freshman who transfers to a higher profile school? I give Archie every chance to make up for last year. I think he's a great coach. It's a new world now. Let's see what he can do.
Last edited by theblueram 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

It is the like the A-10 is the short season minor league level? Roster turn over every year, players move…….?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well yeah. Why should we develop a freshman who transfers to a higher profile school?
That is always a concern for most non P6 schools.
But we hired Archie to deliver and now need to trust his judgement when building the roster.
I hope we see enough improvement and upward trajectory along with strong staff/player chemistry that complete roster turnover doesn't become the norm.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well yeah. Why should we develop a freshman who transfers to a higher profile school?
But we hired Archie to deliver and now need to trust his judgement when building the roster.
I hope we see enough improvement and upward trajectory along with strong staff/player chemistry that complete roster turnover doesn't become the norm.
In what NCAA Basketball world are you living in?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What!
Not all mid-majors are going through total rebuilds every season and yet are still improving and finding success.

FAU made it to the Final Four while keeping much of their core group from the previous year.
In 21-22 they didn't even get an NIT bid.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What!
Not all mid-majors are going through total rebuilds every season and yet are still improving and finding success.

FAU made it to the Final Four while keeping much of their core group from the previous year.
Archie has some big shoes to fill. Final Four BABY!!!!!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What!

Archie has some big shoes to fill. Final Four BABY!!!!!!
Hopefully at Rhody
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dear god. Here we go again. Rebuilding the entire roster year over year is not a sustainable formula at our level. It was necessary this year based on when Archie started and what he had cobbled together last season. Most every team in our league pegged to finish near the top will bring with them some roster continuity and some new pieces. We need to do the same.
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Dear god. Here we go again. Rebuilding the entire roster year over year is not a sustainable formula at our level. It was necessary this year based on when Archie started and what he had cobbled together last season. Most every team in our league pegged to finish near the top will bring with them some roster continuity and some new pieces. We need to do the same.
Thank you BAR
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The core of that '15 team were 4 talented youngsters, 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores. Perfect situation to build upon. What is the core of the current team? 2 or 3 transfers who will be here for 2 years most likely?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Dear god. Here we go again. Rebuilding the entire roster year over year is not a sustainable formula at our level. It was necessary this year based on when Archie started and what he had cobbled together last season. Most every team in our league pegged to finish near the top will bring with them some roster continuity and some new pieces. We need to do the same.
Thank you BAR
Exactly. (Unless mediocrity ...then, totally flush and re-tool, right?)
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m not sure I want to have freshman in this environment, if you find a gem there’s a high probability they get a raise from another employer, I mean school. That is, unless you go to the final 4, then maybe they’ll stay.
Last edited by RIFan 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago

The core of that '15 team were 4 talented youngsters, 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores. Perfect situation to build upon. What is the core of the current team? 2 or 3 transfers who will be here for 2 years most likely?
Don't know yet, too early to tell, or maybe we aren't quite there yet.
Down the road could it be Foumena, Fuchs, Ways, Cam, Weston, Dubs, or even Rory?
Our 2-year transfers might even elevate us to the level of getting higher ranked recruits in the near future.
Like I said maintaining some continuity will be the key to our success.
Last edited by Jersey77 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 8 months ago I’m not sure I want to have freshman in this environment, if you find a gem there’s a high probability they get a raise from another employer, I mean school. That is, unless you go to the final 4.
So was getting Hammond or Farrell a mistake by Archie?
Or even some of the young players on our current roster.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago

Actually I was discussing this upcoming season, and the A10 isn't or hasn't been a perennial 1-bid.
Besides C-USA has been decimated by the AAC.
Also I will take the A10 any day over the WAC which also had only 1 team in the NCAAT last season.
Just compare the history of both conferences.
Yes, the A10 is still a top-10 conference and will continue to be most seasons. Will there be seasons where we may fall right outside the top 10? Sure. But I would be shocked if we were consistently ranked outside the top 10.

As for Archie, I agree, Blueram, we should all have higher expectations for him. Especially compared to Cox. The difference is we kept going backward with Cox. We will continue to move forward with Archie.

Yes, he made mistakes, and he could have landed better talent. Some of his recruits were a total miss... Last year was awful, and I expected us to be better than we were. BUT every little thing that could have gone wrong went wrong. Year 1 would be a challenging task for ANY coach in Archie's shoes. He took a year off, which made recruiting difficult. We lacked any NIL for players, making recruiting even more difficult. He had a terrible talent pool to pick from with the returning players. Even when he did land some talent, his best recruit, who was supposed to be one of the better guards in the A10, was a nightmare. Ant Harris never showed up. His best big man had to redshirt for medical reasons. His second-best big man got hurt for most of the year.

Now, look what happens when Archie has a year to recruit. He landed better players. Not just talented players but players that seem to fit the culture that Archie wants. He didn't need to recruit high-risk, high-reward players like Bray and Ant... Also, look at our '24 class. He landed even better players on paper. That's not a coincidence. That's what good coaches do.

Now, I view this year as the first actual rebuilding year, with next year being the first season we will be in the mix for the top 4 of the A10.

If we suck again this year and don't see any improvement, I'll be right with you, questioning what is happening. But if we are a middle-of-the-pack A10 team with a few key players that we can build around, I'll be happy and excited for the future of this program.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RIFan wrote: 8 months ago I’m not sure I want to have freshman in this environment, if you find a gem there’s a high probability they get a raise from another employer, I mean school. That is, unless you go to the final 4.
So was getting Hammond or Farrell a mistake by Archie?
Or even some of the young players on our current roster.
It may be…time will tell. My take is not unique, I believe I have read coaches theorize the same position.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Is Ray Allen more than a walk-on with a name?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Pitino was hired last March. He brought in 11 transfers and is expected to make the tournament. Did we hire the wrong coach?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Apples and oranges blue but if you don’t want to acknowledge that there is no getting through to you.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Pitino was hired last March. He brought in 11 transfers and is expected to make the tournament. Did we hire the wrong coach?
He would have been a 1-year loaner at best, even if there was interest by either party back in 2022.
Regardless, Slick Rick would have jumped at the opportunity to coach St. John's in 2023.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Our program appears to be a stop over place for coaches to come, build a noticeable buzz then move on, or no buzz then get canned. Don’t see anyone coming here for the long haul. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 8 months ago Our program appears to be a stop over place for coaches to come, build a noticeable buzz then move on, or no buzz then get canned. Don’t see anyone coming here for the long haul. No?
That’s almost every program in our league. VCU just lost their coach to Penn State. At least ours left to go to a blue blood. And won some ncaa games before he did. 4-6 year tenures are to be expected but with good hiring the winning can continue.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Insightful article, Tbr.. Thanks for posting it. 👍
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He would have been a 1-year loaner at best, even if there was interest by either party back in 2022.
Regardless, Slick Rick would have jumped at the opportunity to coach St. John's in 2023.
There needed to be interest when Hurls left. If so, he would have won here, rocked this place, loved it, and still be here laughing about it. Even if after he rocked this place and won (maybe = Cox 2nd year?) and left, Arch fits in perfect. It's a totally new environment, great coach hire, seems reasonable to expect good success.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

There needed to be interest when Hurls left. If so, he would have won here, rocked this place, loved it, and still be here laughing about it. Even if after he rocked this place and won (maybe = Cox 2nd year?) and left, Arch fits in perfect. It's a totally new environment, great coach hire, seems reasonable to expect good success.
In an environment that has changed as much as college basketball, you cannot expect what happened in the past to happen in the future,
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 8 months ago

In an environment that has changed as much as college basketball, you cannot expect what happened in the past to happen in the future,
Exactly. With these changes and this coach (and salary) seems reasonable to expect change faster and not rely on multi year development of players as much.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 8 months ago Our program appears to be a stop over place for coaches to come, build a noticeable buzz then move on, or no buzz then get canned. Don’t see anyone coming here for the long haul. No?
The overwhelming majority of places are.
1 x
Go Rhody