How do you follow Rhody hoop games?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

If you aren't at the game (home or away) how do you most often experience Rhody games?

I listen to the Varsity App
9%
I stream it (ESPN+, etc)
79%
I watch it on Yurview
4%
Neither, I follow the stats online
9%

Total votes: 57

ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: How do you follow Rhody hoop games?

Unread post by ramster »

I rarely use the Varsity Network. Not much interest in it.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

It sounds like you are agreeing with LoveThoseRams, not disagreeing. You both don’t like the Varsityapp and both prefer the radio.
I'm definitely agreeing with the overall sentiment, I'm disagreeing with the "I know it's not difficult part" that's where I disagree. Sure it's really minor in the grand scheme of things...but it's significantly more annoying in this day and age if I have to make multiple clicks and selections on a phone while I'm driving. It's much easier to turn on the radio.

And that's me speaking as a "tech savvy" 30 something year old. Not the majority of our fanbase over 50 who didn't grow up in the streaming era.

I'd love for them to publish the numbers and see exactly how poorly this product is consumed now versus terrestrial radio. I know die hard URI fans that are older who've pretty much given up even attempting to try and watch or listen since they feel there's no option for them.
It's not that difficult. I'm one of the over 55s and, when by myself, I've had it on my phone before I got to my car and on in my car seconds after I got there. If they were at all interesting, I'd probably do it after every game, but, well, "we all see it." Anyway, with kids, that wouldn't happen...it just wouldn't. You need a few seconds of uninterrupted clicking and looking at a phone screen that you really can't get when you're trying to move kids to a car and beyond... Maybe the decrease in audience could be due to all them young parents out there? :lol:
Lol. Yes.

But to this end - this would be the reason to have BOTH options.

Not everything has to be an either/or battle. There is a place for streaming. There's a place for radio.

Why we've finally started to invest in this program, and cut the corners of fan engagement baffles me. But if we weren't doing something wrong, it wouldn't be URI hoops! I'm just happy we hired the right coach, staff, and have a practice facility. I'm hopeful that after this colossal failure of a broadcast season, they'll make the necessary change.

Because if I was a radio sponsor and I saw the engagement go down 20% (conservative guess but it wouldn't shock me if it were higher), I'd be asking for a change the next season.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TaketheShot
Jim Eitner

Unread post by TaketheShot »

We attend Home games. Our post game ritual has been quickly walk to car to hear the post game. The radio was more reliable than the app. Do not have ESPN+. Enjoyed the radio broadcasts when away. The app is OK, but as mentioned before it sometimes skips and repeats (usually during an import play)
App is good because you don’t have to be in local area and it has the women’s games too.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

TaketheShot wrote: 1 year ago We attend Home games. Our post game ritual has been quickly walk to car to hear the post game. The radio was more reliable than the app. Do not have ESPN+. Enjoyed the radio broadcasts when away. The app is OK, but as mentioned before it sometimes skips and repeats (usually during an import play)
App is good because you don’t have to be in local area and it has the women’s games too.
Shot, the repeats on Varsity are the audio streaming version of replays. :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
TaketheShot wrote: 1 year ago We attend Home games. Our post game ritual has been quickly walk to car to hear the post game. The radio was more reliable than the app. Do not have ESPN+. Enjoyed the radio broadcasts when away. The app is OK, but as mentioned before it sometimes skips and repeats (usually during an import play)
Shot, the repeats on Varsity are the audio streaming version of replays. :lol:
You could also enjoy radio broadcasts when away in the past. Many times when traveling I logged into the local radio broadcast. Didn’t need the Varsity App to enable that.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

👍🏼
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Varsity stinks for all the reasons listed above. And it's especially useless when it comes to archiving Coaches' shows. There's absolutely no reason it can't let you listen to previously recorded shows. I really wanted to hear Tammi's first show and her players and coaches and so far ... nothing. This is not how you strengthen fan engagement and present yourself as a first class program.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Belhaven University
Campbell University
College of Staten Island

Just a few of the powerhouse programs that have podcasts on the Varsity app. Thorr needs to get our Coach shows on at the very least. And why don't Steve and Chris have a podcast of their own? Huge missed marketing opportunity!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not sure where to put this, so I'll stick it here.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Somebody had to do it. Lol.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That got me for a minute. I was ready to lose it at the A-10!!! :lol:
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Not sure where to put this, so I'll stick it here.

I just came here to post this - hopefully it is a bad april fool's joke.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Not sure where to put this, so I'll stick it here.

I just came here to post this - hopefully it is a bad april fool's joke.
Read it. It's an awesome take. Definitely not a "bad" April Fool's joke..
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No no no !! Please no Flo Hoops for URI
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You guys need to read the article. I think the VHS camcorder might give it away.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago No no no !! Please no Flo Hoops for URI
Read the article man…
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago You guys need to read the article. I think the VHS camcorder might give it away.
or maybe...

Only the sickest conference in the country would bracket-bust one of their own teams out of the NCAA Tournament. Not to mention, the addition of Loyola-Chicago, one of the most successful programs in the Missouri Valley, just to finish in dead last, is disgustingly beautiful.

The cherry on top was when the A10 got one bid this past season. We knew we needed these people on our platform ASAP.”
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago As much as people complain about the announcers on ESPN+ I just can't get over the constant stopping, replaying, and skipping around from the Varsity App. I'll take video and bad announcers vs relying on a terrible radio feed any day of the week
If you were hoping for improvement from the the Varsity App this season, don't hold your breath. Last night was the Jim Fleming Coach's Show, and we advertised that it would be on the Varsity Network. I went on the Varsity Network this morning to find a replay and the app doesn't even show URI as a school the app carries.

This entire Varsity era has been a complete and total pile of shit and it needs to be fixed immediately
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago As much as people complain about the announcers on ESPN+ I just can't get over the constant stopping, replaying, and skipping around from the Varsity App. I'll take video and bad announcers vs relying on a terrible radio feed any day of the week
If you were hoping for improvement from the the Varsity App this season, don't hold your breath. Last night was the Jim Fleming Coach's Show, and we advertised that it would be on the Varsity Network. I went on the Varsity Network this morning to find a replay and the app doesn't even show URI as a school the app carries.

This entire Varsity era has been a complete and total pile of shit and it needs to be fixed immediately
It will be. Right after they fix the Ry-fi.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 8 months ago