2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/8/17/mens ... edule.aspx

It's bad enough to be playing a D3 game, and we shouldn't ever be playing a D3 regular season game, but beyond that why play it after an exhibition game and five regular season games? You can't even argue for it as a tune up game, you're well into the season at that point
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago https://gorhody.com/news/2023/8/17/mens ... edule.aspx

It's bad enough to be playing a D3 game, and we shouldn't ever be playing a D3 regular season game, but beyond that why play it after an exhibition game and five regular season games? You can't even argue for it as a tune up game, you're well into the season at that point
Yup, exactly.

Pretty inexcusable, can’t see how anyone will try to justify this.
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm not going to bitch about the schedule. It's 18 times I get to go to the RC this season. That makes me happy.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Home
11/1 Assumption (exhibition) Wednesday
11/6 Central Connecticut Monday
11/9 Fairfield Thursday
11/14 Wagner Tuesday
11/22 Johnson & Wales Wednesday
11/26 Yale Sunday
12/6 Brown Wednesday
12/21 New Hampshire Thursday
12/30 Northeastern Saturday
UMass
Fordham
La Salle
George Mason
Duquesne
Loyola Chicago
Richmond
Saint Louis
Saint Joseph's

Woof City! Never mind good luck to the ticket sales staff trying to sell tickets to this, we're firmly in thoughts and prayers territory with this slate
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago https://gorhody.com/news/2023/8/17/mens ... edule.aspx

The JWU game is just there to fill the allotment of home games for the revenue they want from season ticket packages. This contest will also be a pretty low amount buy game as non D1 teams are paid far less, especially if it requires little travel.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

JWU??…….CCRI and RIC were not available?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Everyone should be disappointed with this schedule, especially the home slate. This type of schedule is however what you get when your team just came off a season with a 9-22 record and net rank of 262 close to the bottom. URI is coming off THREE straight losing seasons. The program is at a pretty low point. The schedule reflects the current sad reality of the program's status.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Gross… let’s just have a good year and get this program back on track.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

The J Wales game is the night before thanksgiving- over/under 1000 actual people in the arena???????
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago OOC conference announced.

Assumption as an exhibition, we’ve had D2 teams before as an exhibition, no issue there.

However, Johnson and Wales on the schedule as a legitimate non conference home game.

Embarrassing.

one would call it emBARONsing...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 8 months ago The J Wales game is the night before thanksgiving- over/under 1000 actual people in the arena???????
Are public schools out that day? Maybe they'll do a matinee if so?

Anyway I'm taking the under as of now
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

No excuses with that kind of schedule, need to put together a really strong OOC record this year, which I assume is why they did it. The JWU game is weak obviously, but it's not totally unprecedented. I've seen some other schools with similar local matchups. As long as it doesn't become a trend I'm not too worried about it.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Very disappointed. Too bad Milwaukee didn’t work out, would be a much better game. They won 22 games last season (14-6) and return all their core players.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Might as well just scrimmage

It's still basically a game that doesn't count because NET doesn't recognize it.

Better empty the bench early
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

JWU on Thanksgiving eve, my god why couldn’t we get someone like Merrimack or Manhattan, or even just scrap that game on that date and look for a better opponent to play us in between the Charleston and Delaware games like last year (we played UMass Lowell on December 13th)
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

The Yale game is the start of a three-year series in which the Bulldogs return to the Ryan Center next season before hosting URI in 2025-26.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Wow - if we have more than 3 losses we suck. If we have 3 losses we might still suck, just less than last year, maybe?

I like building confidence, but my god is this is puke level bad, especially that JWU game. For real? A game that does absolutely nothing for us.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Johnson & Wales?!? WTF. I'd rather have them play UNH twice than that horseshit game...hell, rather than the entire slate of OOC games be against UNH than having to play Johnson & Wales towards the end of November.

I cant wait to write up the game preview for that one. :roll:
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Last edited by Rhodymob05 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Just win games. Nothing else matters. Schedule will improve YOY if we do
3 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Not even Boston College this year??
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

JWU probably will be broadcast on ESPN The Ocho+
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago OOC conference announced.

Assumption as an exhibition, we’ve had D2 teams before as an exhibition, no issue there.

However, Johnson and Wales on the schedule as a legitimate non conference home game.

Embarrassing.
Lol...j-woo.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Let’s snack!

Yum 😋
🧁 🧁 🧁
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Schedule is about what I expected since we need to pad some wins to start getting some momentum under Archie. The JWU game is certainly odd but it’s whatever to me.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I do not see any game to get excited about or that will sell out this year. The OOC home schedule is not very good at all and the A10 home schedule does not have any impact games. I just think even if we improve by winning 5 to 6 more games then last year, no post season invites.

Oh.... wait till the following year...things will be better it will be year 3!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not happy @ all with Johnson Wales on the schedule!! Oh well we are not in the at large conversation this year anyway
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Cox initially retained the entire roster. Including a top 25 recruiting class that had committed to Dan. He too was highly regarded in the profession, recommended by many incl the current national champ coach. Until KE does something he’s never done (coach a team to the top of his conference) he will be a question mark.
Cox had a major let up on KE in the retention department... He either recruited or had worked with most of the team. KEs only benefit was the fact that Carter, Hopkins, and Floyd would have had to petition for a transfer waiver which probably doesn't come through. But if you want the real win, it was rerecruiting Garwey Dual to PC. He's showing up in multiple draft projections as a lottery pick.

I do agree thought with the bigger point, he's a question mark. Relationships/recruiting, he's a winner. But W's and L's (or Xs and Os) and player development still need to be seen to determine his value. But you can't win without talent, and between the guys he retained, the transfers he brought in, but more importantly, the recruits in the fold, it's certainly promising.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 8 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Cox initially retained the entire roster. Including a top 25 recruiting class that had committed to Dan. He too was highly regarded in the profession, recommended by many incl the current national champ coach. Until KE does something he’s never done (coach a team to the top of his conference) he will be a question mark.
Cox had a major let up on KE in the retention department... He either recruited or had worked with most of the team. KEs only benefit was the fact that Carter, Hopkins, and Floyd would have had to petition for a transfer waiver which probably doesn't come through. But if you want the real win, it was rerecruiting Garwey Dual to PC. He's showing up in multiple draft projections as a lottery pick.

I do agree thought with the bigger point, he's a question mark. Relationships/recruiting, he's a winner. But W's and L's (or Xs and Os) and player development still need to be seen to determine his value. But you can't win without talent, and between the guys he retained, the transfers he brought in, but more importantly, the recruits in the fold, it's certainly promising.
English brought over multiple key players from George Mason who will be immediately eligible. Worked and coached them, not that hard to do.

Like you said, Hopkins, Carter, Floyd would have had a sit out a year. No chance they would have wanted to do that.

That’s 6 significant contributors he didn’t have to do THAT much work to keep them.

So I wouldn’t say Cox had a “major” leg up on English in retaining players.

But yes, like you said and I said previously, getting Dual to recommit is a major major get.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Every home game is guaranteed money from the season ticket holders
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am surprised that J&W was the best we could do in filling out our home slate.

Playing a pretty good Delaware team on a neutral court is looking better and better.
I remember several posters here complaining about that game.
On paper their roster this season may be better than ours and possibly favored in that game.

After seeing our OOC schedule finalized, it is hard to argue that the A10 should go to a 16-game schedule.
It is difficult enough now to fill out 13 games and getting some quality opponents outside of the in-season tournaments.
Last edited by Jersey77 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylaw wrote: 8 months ago Wow - if we have more than 3 losses we suck. If we have 3 losses we might still suck, just less than last year, maybe?

I like building confidence, but my god is this is puke level bad, especially that JWU game. For real? A game that does absolutely nothing for us.
Rhody will definitely have more than three losses in the OOC. Will be a decided underdog in both Mohegan Sun games (Northwestern and or Miss St / Wash St) and both true road games (PC and Charleston). Other games versus teams like Delaware, Northeastern, and Yale will be pick ums. Would not be surprised if they were to lose to another opponent at home. Last year should be a reminder not to pencil in sure wins.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I just looked at this schedule and this thread and vomited. Delaware? 225 NET Delaware is a good game? JFC. It looks like we have an NEC OOC schedule and we play the worst A10 teams. There is not 1 team on this home schedule I am looking forward to seeing. Not 1. This is probably the worst schedule I have ever seen for URI. It's so pathetic, it makes me laugh how bad it is.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago I just looked at this schedule and this thread and vomited. Delaware? 225 NET Delaware is a good game? JFC. It looks like we have an NEC OOC schedule and we play the worst A10 teams. There is not 1 team on this home schedule I am looking forward to seeing. Not 1. This is probably the worst schedule I have ever seen for URI. It's so pathetic, it makes me laugh how bad it is.
Ya know what, after reading your post I just scrolled up and looked at every home game.

You’re absolutely right, there is not one home game I go “wow, can’t wait for that.”

Putrid, but not surprising.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago
theblueram wrote: 8 months ago I just looked at this schedule and this thread and vomited. Delaware? 225 NET Delaware is a good game? JFC. It looks like we have an NEC OOC schedule and we play the worst A10 teams. There is not 1 team on this home schedule I am looking forward to seeing. Not 1. This is probably the worst schedule I have ever seen for URI. It's so pathetic, it makes me laugh how bad it is.
Ya know what, after reading your post I just scrolled up and looked at every home game.

You’re absolutely right, there is not one home game I go “wow, can’t wait for that.”

Putrid, but not surprising.
I mean - it is a little surprising. We usually get at least one ok home game. Nothing.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

All I can say is the weather better be perfect for each game day. If it's cold or raining, I'm staying home.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago All I can say is the weather better be perfect for each game day. If it's cold or raining, I'm staying home.
Think to safe to say it will be cold the majority of home games seeing how it’ll be winter lol
1 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago All I can say is the weather better be perfect for each game day. If it's cold or raining, I'm staying home.
Weren’t you headed south? Agree that no game to really look forward to for sure. We are what we are for now, a lower tier A-10 digging outta a deep hole. Want better teams on sked, win our way up. Feasting on these cupcakes? Not exactly how I see this sked.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I guess Brown would be your most attractive non conference home game?

Yale a close second? Lol
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 8 months ago
Weren’t you headed south? Agree that no game to really look forward to for sure. We are what we are for now, a lower tier A-10 digging outta a deep hole. Want better teams on sked, win our way up. Feasting on these cupcakes? Not exactly how I see this sked.
I am. This is my last year for season tix. Maybe we can meet up for lunch when we get down there? Do you stay on west or east coast?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s a schedule that will support this programs growth. Very winnable games with a touch of competition that will get us noticed. Win and they will come.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago
section(105) wrote: 8 months ago
I am. This is my last year for season tix. Maybe we can meet up for lunch when we get down there? Do you stay on west or east coast?

Marco Island, west coast only for us.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

You can rationalize all you want that’s a very weak schedule
2 x
Clapton is God
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody72 wrote: 8 months ago Every home game is guaranteed money from the season ticket holders
Not when it’s the same cost to the STH no matter how many home games are scheduled. They will charge the same for 15-18 games. They may actually lose $ on the JWU date.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Last years was worse imho

Yale will probably be the best opponent (unless Wagner lives up to the hype of being top 150), Brown will probably be the one that’s the most attended, Northeastern can be meh, and the rest are lackluster
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dino611 wrote: 8 months ago

Yale will probably be the best opponent (unless Wagner lives up to the hype of being top 150), Brown will probably be the one that’s the most attended, Northeastern can be meh, and the rest are lackluster
So Wagner if they make top 150 gives us a quad 3 game? NIce. Real nice.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 8 months ago

Both years schedules are really weak, hard to differentiate which is worse.
But yeah, Yale should be our toughest OOC home opponent.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Used to think the Baron OOC schedules were weak. 2009 is a gauntlet compared to this year.
Attachments
IMG_1379.jpeg
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago It’s a schedule that will support this programs growth. Very winnable games with a touch of competition that will get us noticed. Win and they will come.
This is how I feel also , I’m still on the Archie train
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yale is going to be really good this year. Believe they will be picked to win the Ivy. Fairfield just signed the kid Alex Yetna who will tear up that league at 6’10. Brown always a decent team. Don’t know much else beyond that. But coupled with the 3 P6 teams and Charleston the schedule is well weighted for a team in development.

Are you guys forgetting what Fordham’s OOC schedule looked like last year and they turned into the darling of the league come conference play. Just win and everything else will get better (players, schedule, MTE’s).
3 x