Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by Jersey77 »

"Report: ACC Rejects Expansion Candidates"
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrNONe ... _W3SPlfJM-

Sources: Stanford, Cal’s Future Unclear With ACC Move Unlikely
Story by Pat Forde •
2h
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA1f9ZcL
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago The ESPN Offer PAC12 turned down

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-dol ... 38743.html
Victims of greed...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago

Victims of greed...
4 teams voted against it. Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and North Carolina State. Interesting as Florida State, Clemson and UNC have been mentioned in discussions about possibly leaving the ACC.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/unc-among- ... 32917.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

With ACC turning down additions next steps will be interesting and probably fast.
Opens door for teams to depart ACC
Opens door for teams to add to ACC - UCONN watching that closely. UCONN will be in a power conference soon.

Watch The AAC. Mike Aresco is smart and could very well create two divisions East and West in the AAC.

Mountain West could absorb the 4 PAC12 remaining teams

Crazy next upcoming weeks
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Victims of greed...
Depends how you look at it. Some of those schools that asked for $50M may have back channeled with the B1G or Big XII knowing what they would be offering.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago With ACC turning down additions next steps will be interesting and probably fast.
Opens door for teams to depart ACC
Opens door for teams to add to ACC - UCONN watching that closely. UCONN will be in a power conference soon.

Watch The AAC. Mike Aresco is smart and could very well create two divisions East and West in the AAC.

Mountain West could absorb the 4 PAC12 remaining teams

Crazy next upcoming weeks
That would make the MW a power conference? Or wouldn’t that be the other way around?
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 8 months ago
reef wrote: 8 months ago Ugh can’t stand college sports moving to Apple TV, guess I won’t be watching too much Pac 12
All I wanna know about, related to that is, "where will we get our Walton"?
If you get a chance watch the 30 for 30 on Bill walton 4 part series was spectacular
Love all the Grateful Dead they play in those!
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Bryant and Rhody will be playing every year in football now that the Dogs have joined the CAA.

That was posted in the gridiron section, but I didn’t see it till now.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-foo ... al-reports

One nugget from this article is that AAC schools get $5.94 million per year. I have to assume because they don't have football that Wichita State gets significantly less than the full $5.94 other schools get. They're the only school that would move the needle for the A10 to add. I'm sure we wouldn't be able to get the finances to work as is but the A10 should be in contact with them already about them joining the A10 if the AAC falls apart
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-foo ... al-reports

One nugget from this article is that AAC schools get $5.94 million per year. I have to assume because they don't have football that Wichita State gets significantly less than the full $5.94 other schools get. They're the only school that would move the needle for the A10 to add. I'm sure we wouldn't be able to get the finances to work as is but the A10 should be in contact with them already about them joining the A10 if the AAC falls apart
I don’t see the AAC falling apart, just added 6 teams from C-USA. UConn negotiated a $17M departure fee to join the BE, don’t see Wichita State doing that to join the A10, bad ROI. As you said the financials don’t make sense.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-foo ... al-reports

Rhowdy, thanks for posting the article. I don’t know if the AAC will fall apart but I sure do hope the A10 is being proactive when it comes to any and all potential realignment possibilities, partnerships (like conference challenge partners, scheduling, etc.) in the short term and long term to max NET.

With change comes opportunity.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago

I don’t see the AAC falling apart, just added 6 teams from C-USA. UConn negotiated a $17M departure fee to join the BE, don’t see Wichita State doing that to join the A10, bad ROI. As you said the financials don’t make sense.
The Pac 12 was a power 5 conference with over 100 years of history that hadn't ever had a member leave and it's been completely destroyed in just over a year, but you think the AAC is bulletproof because they added a few schools from the C-USA? UConn also departed as an all sports member. Just like Wichita State isn't getting a full share of revenue because they don't have football they won't have a full departure fee because they're not getting full media money.

The financials don't make sense at this moment, but they very well could very soon depending on how things shake up between the Pac 4, the Mountain West, and the AAC. We need to be on the phone yesterday with Wichita State to let them know we're interested if things don't work out for them in the next shake up that's coming in the next 6 months
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago

The Pac 12 was a power 5 conference with over 100 years of history that hadn't ever had a member leave and it's been completely destroyed in just over a year, but you think the AAC is bulletproof because they added a few schools from the C-USA? UConn also departed as an all sports member. Just like Wichita State isn't getting a full share of revenue because they don't have football they won't have a full departure fee because they're not getting full media money.

The financials don't make sense at this moment, but they very well could very soon depending on how things shake up between the Pac 4, the Mountain West, and the AAC. We need to be on the phone yesterday with Wichita State to let them know we're interested if things don't work out for them in the next shake up that's coming in the next 6 months
I agree there still be many shake-ups but don’t see the AAC going away. The PAC-12 unraveled because of their greed and unrealistic expectations along with bad leadership. I would love to see Wichita State join the A10 but not optimistic that will happen. Also not sure what their exit fee would be but still probably very substantial.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If the Big 10 has their way
IMG_8640.jpeg
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I agree there still be many shake-ups but don’t see the AAC going away. The PAC-12 unraveled because of their greed and unrealistic expectations along with bad leadership. I would love to see Wichita State join the A10 but not optimistic that will happen. Also not sure what their exit fee would be but still probably very substantial.
We know there's going to be at least one more shakeup in the next 6 months or so because the Pac 4 have to do something, as of now they don't have any kind of media deal or real conference effective July 1st.

I'm not saying Wichita State is our next member or anything, all I've argued is the A10 should be doing due diligence and letting them know we'd be interested if their conference situation goes poorly. That seems like a bell pepper on the scoville level of takes
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We know there's going to be at least one more shakeup in the next 6 months or so because the Pac 4 have to do something, as of now they don't have any kind of media deal or real conference effective July 1st.

I'm not saying Wichita State is our next member or anything, all I've argued is the A10 should be doing due diligence and letting them know we'd be interested if their conference situation goes poorly. That seems like a bell pepper on the scoville level of takes
That's why McGlade gets the big buck salary
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 8 months ago

That's why McGlade gets the big buck salary
A lot must happen first and probably not anytime soon for Wichita State to be in any A10 conversation. By then, who knows what may become of the A10.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, your last sentence above is very important and not to be disregarded.

If I had to pick one word today for the future of the A10, I would pick, uncertainty.

I enjoy football - NFL and college but I prefer college basketball and Rhody basketball more specifically - however, football is steamrolling the college sports landscape and ruining basketball as a result.

I don’t know what the answer is short of 30 - 35 big time football programs splitting off to do their own thing to solely feed that ravenous beast but leave all other sports on a somewhat level field (with help from a regulatory body with oversight for non-football sports) with regional conferences to accentuate traditional rivalries as a foundation to national championships in all non-football sports. Unfortunately, greed and arrogance will likely prevent that from ever happening.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodysk wrote: 8 months ago https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... rmark-says

UConn strikes out again.
Nothing really new here, we already knew that UConn to the B12 wasn’t happening.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

I'd like to strike out like UCONN strikes out. That school treats athletics in a first class manner and a top priority as well as having both a law school and medical school. If it takes them another 10 years, they will figure out a way to get their football program up to standards. The biggest obstacle that they have faced thus far is that the northeast is not a breeding ground for potential D1 players. They figued it out for Men's and Women's soccer, basketball and ice hockey. They are light years ahead of both us and UMASS.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 8 months ago I'd like to strike out like UCONN strikes out. That school treats athletics in a first class manner and a top priority as well as having both a law school and medical school. If it takes them another 10 years, they will figure out a way to get their football program up to standards. The biggest obstacle that they have faced thus far is that the northeast is not a breeding ground for potential D1 players. They figued it out for Men's and Women's soccer, basketball and ice hockey. They are light years ahead of both us and UMASS.
They actually had it figured out for football for a little while, so "back" up to standards
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Slightly off subject but the MWC once again leads the Mid-Majors in Madness 144 with 6 teams ranked in the top 100.

Nevada Wolf Pack
2023-2024 Overall Rank: #83
Conference Rank: #6 Mountain West
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/me ... 4-previews
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago Slightly off subject but the MWC once again leads the Mid-Majors in Madness 144 with 6 teams ranked in the top 100.

Nevada Wolf Pack
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 8 months ago I'd like to strike out like UCONN strikes out. That school treats athletics in a first class manner and a top priority as well as having both a law school and medical school. If it takes them another 10 years, they will figure out a way to get their football program up to standards. The biggest obstacle that they have faced thus far is that the northeast is not a breeding ground for potential D1 players. They figued it out for Men's and Women's soccer, basketball and ice hockey. They are light years ahead of both us and UMASS.

If Calipari would have stayed at UMass as long as Calhoun stayed at UConn, UMass might be in a similar situation as UConn right now with successful athletic program. Both coaches cheated but knew how create an entertaing product. However Tell a UConn fan in 1990 that in 2023 Storrs will be coined "The basketball capital of the world" and they would tell you to eff off! Then they would go get a cone at the dairy bar and check out the horses take a dump while smelling that UCONN aggie stench. Now that is Huskie Pride.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago Slightly off subject but the MWC once again leads the Mid-Majors in Madness 144 with 6 teams ranked in the top 100.

Nevada Wolf Pack
And in the Madness Top 144 is also Utah State at #122 making 7 MWC teams in the Top 144.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"Is momentum picking up for Stanford, Cal to join ACC?"
https://sports.yahoo.com/momentum-picki ... 49639.html

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"Sources: ACC expansion talks still alive as leaders consider new financial proposal"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1fGNf8
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ACC expansion has more twists and turns than a season of the show Billions. :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sources: MWC, AAC ramp up courtship of Oregon State and Washington State with college landscape still shifting

Stanford, California and SMU could be going the ACC

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-mwc-aa ... 25248.html

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/acc-progre ... 03568.html
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I've gotten most realignment moves, even if I don't think it's best, but this one I don't get at all.

Notre Dame, a school that isn't a full member of the ACC and will never become one, is pushing the ACC to add these three faraway schools that bring almost nothing to the table. And because they bring almost nothing to the table you're basically guaranteeing every school you'd want to keep if you're the ACC will be gone as soon as they can get out of the grant of rights.

If I was an ACC school I'd tell Notre Dame that the only way I would let Stanford and Cal in the conference is if Notre Dame were coming in to the conference with those other two. And I wouldn't be even contemplating SMU
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Which make sense to me, Ramster.
They need to keep/put themselves in a position for favorable media deals.
Just look at the demise of the PAC12, poor foresight, greedy, and unrealistic expectations.
Geography is playing much less of a role in this new age of expansion and realignment.
Last edited by Jersey77 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago I've gotten most realignment moves, even if I don't think it's best, but this one I don't get at all.

Notre Dame, a school that isn't a full member of the ACC and will never become one, is pushing the ACC to add these three faraway schools that bring almost nothing to the table. And because they bring almost nothing to the table you're basically guaranteeing every school you'd want to keep if you're the ACC will be gone as soon as they can get out of the grant of rights.

If I was an ACC school I'd tell Notre Dame that the only way I would let Stanford and Cal in the conference is if Notre Dame were coming in to the conference with those other two. And I wouldn't be even contemplating SMU
It wouldn't surprise me if it's already a done deal that a couple schools like Florida State are gone. If that's the case, well, might as well just grab Stanford, Cal and SMU now, instead of trying to get to 15 with whatever is left over.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 8 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago I've gotten most realignment moves, even if I don't think it's best, but this one I don't get at all.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's already a done deal that a couple schools like Florida State are gone. If that's the case, well, might as well just grab Stanford, Cal and SMU now, instead of trying to get to 15 with whatever is left over.
I guess, but this seems like you're literally pushing the top half of your league to leave
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Which make sense to me, Ramster.
They need to keep/put themselves in a position for favorable media deals.
Just look at the demise of the PAC12, poor foresight, greedy, and unrealistic expectations.
Geography is playing much less of a role in this new age of expansion and realignment.
PAC 12 had poor leadership, couldn't get anything done to the ultimate demise of the entire Conference.

Media runs the show. Football runs the show.

So how much of an issue is travel when half your FBS Football Games are at home, some are with relatively close conference rivals and travel is significant for 2-3 games? ACC had to make a move, could not sit there and let the Mountain West take over the remains of the PAC 12 or some other alternative. AAC was also looking at two divisions and expanding. If the ACC didn't do it another conference would for sure.

Excellent academic additions to an already high academic ACC.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

02, I get what you are saying and, on the surface, the ACC adding CalFord and SMU don’t make sense.

On the other hand, I think from the ACC’s perspective, they can get all three at such bargain basement prices that it is hard to resist.

Stanford is an excellent brand, Cal is a good brand (though it doesn’t always excel in FB and CBB - not sure about other sports ) and SMU gives the ACC a foothold into the rich FB talent environment of TX.

That’s how I see it with my limited perspective.

I don’t know how the vote go but it will be very difficult to resist adding all 3 with the concessions the 3 are willing to make.

After that said, even if Stan and Cal end up in the ACC they will still try to maneuver for BIG conf invites. They just may have to wait years for that to happen.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 8 months ago

I guess, but this seems like you're literally pushing the top half of your league to leave
Aside from the $120M exit fee, the teams are bound by the GOR(Grant of Rights) till 2036.
Which means the ACC holds all the team's media rights till 2036 even if they leave the conference.
Those teams that may want to leave will have to find a legal loophole to get around it.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

One more time

ACC to discuss expansion in Friday phone call, sources say
Story by Andrea Adelson •
40m
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA1g3KL9
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The ACC needs Stanford, Cal and ND. Getting all three would be such a no-brainer that taking SMU would be worth it to close the deal. Cal is such an excellent university, it would add prestige to the ACC although its sports commitment is questionable. What re these schools willing to commit to join the ACC?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 8 months ago The ACC needs Stanford, Cal and ND. Getting all three would be such a no-brainer that taking SMU would be worth it to close the deal. Cal is such an excellent university, it would add prestige to the ACC although its sports commitment is questionable. What re these schools willing to commit to join the ACC?
It's a little money dance right now, but they'll go because...

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ACC expansion a done deal.

"ACC adds Stanford, Cal, SMU as new members beginning 2024-25"
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... rd-cal-smu
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago ACC expansion a done deal.

"ACC adds Stanford, Cal, SMU as new members beginning 2024-25"
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... rd-cal-smu
"AAC pulls out of Oregon State, Washington State pursuit leaving Mountain West as best remaining option"
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ng-option/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The fact that Cal and Stanford will be in the ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE tells you just how screwed up big time college athletics has become.
3 x