2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by ramster »

Not happening, but New Mexico and New Mexico State are now making it happen. How about that, something great for the schools, the players, the students, the alumni and the fans. Imagine that.

URI and PC used to play twice a year and it was great. Even in the Providence Civic Center whereby PC had a home game and URI had a home game - both played in the PCC. Those were the great days of Rhode Island College Basketball and New England College Basketball.

But then Dave Gavitt and Greed visited a very good thing.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't really think URI and PC need to play twice a year - I think it waters down the series somewhat. Are there many examples of teams having an annual 2-game series against an OOC opponent nowadays? It strikes me as a relic of basketball before modern travel, when you wanted to maximize the number of local opponents on your schedule.

re: Brown and Bryant, my mindset on them is that it's better to play them as the shitty "throwaway" Q3, Q4 games than to bother with the Southeastern North Dakota Central States or Division II teams of the world. However, that's if they don't want to be paid for it. If they want it to be a buy game, might as well bring in whoever.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Once again, a PC fan thinking they're Duke, Kentucky , Kansas or UConn.
Has nothing to do with thinking any which way - teams play 11 OOC games, why would you lock 2 in against the same team? In the most bizarro world, maybe if you had two lock Top 25 teams year after year would it make sense. Has nothing to do with being PC, make me a Boston College fan, I'd have the same opinion.

I want you guys to be good because I want the win to matter more. I'd rather the Q1 win than a Q3 win. But even if you became a perennial tournament team, I still probably wouldn't support the idea. It certainly makes more sense for you to support given the lack of quality teams on your schedule. I'd probably push for it too in that case.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

If each team can sell out its game, then I think it is worth doing.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 8 months ago 1 - There is not a universe when PC/URI play twice a year again. Once a year is bad enough (your average KenPom is 99 the last decade, and that's a lie, because it's 99 while removing Hurleys and Millers first years). I think most of you acknowledge it would never happen, still made me spit out my water seeing it even mentioned.

2 - Interest aside, I don't see a universe where the money makes sense to get a "RI Cup" done. PC and URI already hate paying Brown/Bryant $50-$70k a game to "drive down the road." Are Brown/Bryant giving up a chance at a buy game for a chance at "The Cup?" What about ticket allotment? Is it part of a season ticket package? Home team keeps the revenue? If it a state tournament, all teams should be getting relatively equal tickets, no? Who possibly goes for that? If it's just a bunch of random games not a double-header, it's not a "state tournament," but I think you would agree it's kinda dumb to have Brown/Bryant play before PC/URI and the only tickets are URI season ticket holders. Logistics are rough on this one..
Now tell us the average KenPom of the low major shit teams/recent D2 teams you play OOC that don’t touch the attendance we do at The Amp.

Now I completely agree with you playing twice a year is an absolute nonstarter.

But saying “once a year is bad enough” makes you sound ignorant, which I know you’re not. I consider you one of the most intelligent posters here.

There are a million reasons why we’ll play once a year for a minimum of the next 10 years, and you know that.

Not your best post. You sound petty and (again) acting like you’re a blueblood program.
2 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 8 months ago 1 - There is not a universe when PC/URI play twice a year again. Once a year is bad enough (your average KenPom is 99 the last decade, and that's a lie, because it's 99 while removing Hurleys and Millers first years). I think most of you acknowledge it would never happen, still made me spit out my water seeing it even mentioned.

2 - Interest aside, I don't see a universe where the money makes sense to get a "RI Cup" done. PC and URI already hate paying Brown/Bryant $50-$70k a game to "drive down the road." Are Brown/Bryant giving up a chance at a buy game for a chance at "The Cup?" What about ticket allotment? Is it part of a season ticket package? Home team keeps the revenue? If it a state tournament, all teams should be getting relatively equal tickets, no? Who possibly goes for that? If it's just a bunch of random games not a double-header, it's not a "state tournament," but I think you would agree it's kinda dumb to have Brown/Bryant play before PC/URI and the only tickets are URI season ticket holders. Logistics are rough on this one..
Now tell us the average KenPom of the low major shit teams/recent D2 teams you play OOC that don’t touch the attendance we do at The Amp.

Now I completely agree with you playing twice a year is an absolute nonstarter.

But saying “once a year is bad enough” makes you sound ignorant, which I know you’re not. I consider you one of the most intelligent posters here.

There are a million reasons why we’ll play once a year for a minimum of the next 10 years, and you know that.

Not your best post. You sound petty and (again) acting like you’re a blueblood program.
We have to play you, it's non-negotiable. But as far as metrics, it's often a net-negative. The value in the game is the intangibles - attendance, intensity, etc. And while I'm someone who loves intangibles, metrics are what really matters. No one looks at your resume and says "it was a Q3 game with a Q1 atmosphere." So perhaps I should have worded it better.

I want you to be good so we beat a good team, because be honest, even in your worst years it'll never be an easy out playing you down at your place. That is bad for PC. I'd rather a good win/good loss instead of a bad win/bad loss...
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I am not advocating we should play twice a year but the data on all fronts supports the concept. For example in the last two seasons when URI played PC at the Dunk, the game drew 12,997 fans. That attendance was bigger than any other PC OOC games in both seasons and outdrew every single home Big East game in both seasons with the exception of the Seton Hall game played in the 2019-20 season.

Also in the last two seasons where there was no Dunk game, the biggest attended games in one season were against Penn with 10,649. Other PC OOC games were Sacred Heat, NJIT, St. Peter's, Merrimack, Stony Brook drew less. In the second season, the biggest draw was Northeastern at 12,000, and the others, Rider, Stonehill, Merrimack, Columbia, Manhattan and Albany drew less.

You are whistling in the dark, if you contend that substituting any of these OOC games with a URI game hurts your metrics.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote: 8 months ago I am not advocating we should play twice a year but the data on all fronts supports the concept. For example in the last two seasons when URI played PC at the Dunk, the game drew 12,997 fans. That attendance was bigger than any other PC OOC games in both seasons and outdrew every single home Big East game in both seasons with the exception of the Seton Hall game played in the 2019-20 season.

Also in the last two seasons where there was no Dunk game, the biggest attended games in one season were against Penn with 10,649. Other PC OOC games were Sacred Heat, NJIT, St. Peter's, Merrimack, Stony Brook drew less. In the second season, the biggest draw was Northeastern at 12,000, and the others, Rider, Stonehill, Merrimack, Columbia, Manhattan and Albany drew less.

You are whistling in the dark, if you contend that substituting any of these OOC games with a URI game hurts your metrics.
I would never wish to substitute anyone with URI, who I think is perfectly fine playing once a year on an alternative venue basis. But that doesn't mean I don't wish you were better, with some consistency. You've had 5 Top 100 KenPom seasons in the last 12 years. Since the turn of the decade you've had 9 Top 100 seasons out of 24. You can quote all the attendance statistics you'd like. I don't disagree, it's a draw. But the draw is the rivalry, not the quality of game. It's different than most BE games, which sells out because of the quality of game, not a rivalry. I'm not playing it twice a year because of intangibles. Once is perfectly fine. Just get your team better so it stops F'ing with our scheduling.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 8 months ago I don't really think URI and PC need to play twice a year - I think it waters down the series somewhat. Are there many examples of teams having an annual 2-game series against an OOC opponent nowadays? It strikes me as a relic of basketball before modern travel, when you wanted to maximize the number of local opponents on your schedule.

re: Brown and Bryant, my mindset on them is that it's better to play them as the shitty "throwaway" Q3, Q4 games than to bother with the Southeastern North Dakota Central States or Division II teams of the world. However, that's if they don't want to be paid for it. If they want it to be a buy game, might as well bring in whoever.
They played 2 times every year from my youth until the late 70s. It certainly wasn't watered down then. If anything, playing twice every year only intensified the rivalry. I know it will never happen again.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Once again, a PC fan thinking they're Duke, Kentucky , Kansas or UConn.

No just a PC fan that wants to see his team try to compete at the highest level. Playing URI twice is net suicide.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Now do DePaul who you do play twice a year
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Now do DePaul who you do play twice a year

DePaul is a conference opponent that we have no choice but to play twice.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

woodennickel1 wrote: 8 months ago

No just a PC fan that wants to see his team try to compete at the highest level. Playing URI twice is net suicide.
And playing Merrimack, Stonehill, St. Peter's, Columbia, UNH, Fairleigh Dickinson is NET heaven, and not to mention, to quote a PC fan, you play those teams not because of the rivalry, but because the quality of the game and they don't f'k with the PC schedule, unlike playing URI where the draw is the rivalry and not the quality of the game that f'ks with the PC schedule. Geez, who would have thought!!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote: 8 months ago

And playing Merrimack, Stonehill, St. Peter's, Columbia, UNH, Fairleigh Dickinson is NET heaven, and not to mention, to quote a PC fan, you play those teams not because of the rivalry, but because the quality of the game and they don't f'k with the PC schedule, unlike playing URI where the draw is the rivalry and not the quality of the game that f'ks with the PC schedule. Geez, who would have thought!!
Being a rivalry game, URI will always be treated as a marquee opponent, regardless of whether they are a Q1 team or Q4 team, because strange shit happens in rivalry games. So when PC builds out their schedule, around its OOCT and conference challenge games, URI is scheduled in that tougher opponent category. So it's better for PC for them to be good and live it to that scheduling respect, than to suck and be nothing better than a bad win/loss.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I am neither for or against a home and home PC-URI series, what I am for is a good discussion of the subject, open minded, unbiased, fact based and, sorry, you do not contribute to that goal with your up-and-down, erratic reasoning.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote: 8 months ago I am neither for or against a home and home PC-URI series, what I am for is a good discussion of the subject, open minded, unbiased, fact based and, sorry, you do not contribute to that goal with your up-and-down, erratic reasoning.
What is erratic about my reasoning? That I want you to be good so that you live up to the hype of the schedule/resume? That's all I care about. I want my team to have the best possible resume come tournament time. And if the intangibles are special to you, then even you should admit the best games in this series have been when both teams are good.

I've never asserted that URI should be removed from the schedule. But I do think it would be beneficial to PC to have you guys be good, because your metrics frequently don't live up to the hype/respect given to the game by those who put the schedule together.

In recent years, PC stopped contracts with BC and UMASS for the same reason. They won't ever stop that contract with you.
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

What about the Covid year when Cooley ducked playing us but rather played FDU?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

damram wrote: 8 months ago What about the Covid year when Cooley ducked playing us but rather played FDU?
That was bad, also dissing us and downplaying the rivalry.
But let's not get Ramster started again on that. ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago
damram wrote: 8 months ago What about the Covid year when Cooley ducked playing us but rather played FDU?
Sounds like you started on it - not me. That ship sailed.
Last edited by ramster 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 8 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago
Sounds like you started on it - not me.
Yep, got me, just joining in the discussion though. :)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 8 months ago

Being a rivalry game, URI will always be treated as a marquee opponent, regardless of whether they are a Q1 team or Q4 team, because strange shit happens in rivalry games. So when PC builds out their schedule, around its OOCT and conference challenge games, URI is scheduled in that tougher opponent category. So it's better for PC for them to be good and live it to that scheduling respect, than to suck and be nothing better than a bad win/loss.
You want to know when URI and PC were both REALLY good? Back in the mid to late 70s when we played twice a year. It was always the talk of college basketball in New England when we played. The best high school players from New England were drawn to it. It tremendously helped recruiting for both schools. Both URI and PC were even getting the best players from Connecticut and keeping them away from UConn (obviously that won't happen anymore). I know things have changed dramatically in the last 40+ years, but the rivalry helped both schools become very good. It can never be the same, but an intense rivalry playing twice a year wouldn't hurt and would certainly be better for PC than playing some of the schools mentioned above like UNH and Stonehill.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago

You want to know when URI and PC were both REALLY good? Back in the mid to late 70s when we played twice a year. It was always the talk of college basketball in New England when we played. The best high school players from New England were drawn to it. It tremendously helped recruiting for both schools. Both URI and PC were even getting the best players from Connecticut and keeping them away from UConn (obviously that won't happen anymore). I know things have changed dramatically in the last 40+ years, but the rivalry helped both schools become very good. It can never be the same, but an intense rivalry playing twice a year wouldn't hurt and would certainly be better for PC than playing some of the schools mentioned above like UNH and Stonehill.
PC, like any other power conference team, needs to play a balanced schedule though. They aren't going to schedule 8-9 tough opponents and then go into the BE and play 14-16 more Q1/Q2 opponents. Teams need cupcakes that hopefully allow for experimentation, development, continuity, etc.

They also need some scheduling flexibility. Take your example - PC is going to play URI twice. Off-the-bat, they are now committed to a OOCT of 2-3 games (if there is not a home game requirement for other teams), 2 conference challenges, and 2 games vs URI. That would leave 4 games - that's terrible scheduling. Even if they wanted to play another tough opponent, they are going to be barricaded by scheduling restrictions on when they can play.

It's great where it is - same day, every year, circle it on the calendar. But the scenario as presented, it heavily favors URI - you, I, and everyone in the universe should see it that way (the scenario of twice a year).
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This position is true IF PC remains a consistent winner as they were in previous 10 years with Cooley. If however PC becomes more up and down and a stepping stone job as they were for the decades before that then it doesn’t.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago This position is true IF PC remains a consistent winner as they were in previous 10 years with Cooley. If however PC becomes more up and down and a stepping stone job as they were for the decades before that then it doesn’t.
It would still favor URI heavily.

Even if PC became more inconsistent, their schedule will almost always be above average because of the conference they are in. They have a tough home schedule with/without URI, and there will still be plenty of home dates that draw at the gate.

URI does not have that luxury. With a 1-2 bid A10, and maybe 1-2 in the NIT, URI needs tougher games in the OOC for resume/gate purposes. The odds of drawing someone is rare (same for PC), but knowing that PC game is there is a major plus, not just for the resume.

Even if PC plateaued and became the 100th best team in the country, here are how many teams better than Team 100 on URIs scheduling list the last handful of years (total/home):

23 - 5/3
22 - 8/4
21 - removing COVID year for uneven games
20 - 14/7
19 - 7/3

Now let's compare it to PC:

23 - 17/7
22 - 16/8
21 - removed
20 - 20/10
19 - 18/8

As evidenced above, it would be dramatically more important for URI to improve its schedule with a second game against PC.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am fine with playing PC once a year on a rotating home and away basis. The days of playing twice were nice but times have changed. I also want URI to continue to play Brown as well. Both of these schools are long time in state rivals with the series some 100 years old. Tradition dictates that these games should continue. I would not have an issue with URI playing Bryant from time to time as well. There is however really no history with the Bulldogs and I therefore don't feel an annual game is a necessity. I view games with Bryant similar to games with other New England America East and NEC programs.
2 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

The Dump was built to stimulate business downtown. The Friars owe it to the state to sell out that building for every game they play.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

I know and you know playing those teams is not like playing a rivalry game. I doubt there are any teams that play twice that are not in the same conference anymore.
Last edited by woodennickel1 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

damram wrote: 8 months ago The Dump was built to stimulate business downtown. The Friars owe it to the state to sell out that building for every game they play.
So because the Amp is downtown, they should play only Q1-Q2, or name-brand opponents who draw, and screw what's best for the program? You can't be that obtuse...
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I know and you kmow playing those teams is not like playing a rivalry game. I doubt there are any teams that play twice that are not in the same conference anymore.
You're probably right. But if we flip that reasoning on its head for a second, think about this...

What if URI vs. PC (and New Mexico/NMSU) were the ONLY twice-played non-conference rivalry in the country?! How cool would that be? Now that would be a pretty unique thing to claim for both schools and the state of RI. It would speak highly of the interest in college basketball in the state and really allow this rivalry to stand out among other similar rivalries in the sport. They don't cancel the Beanpot because those schools (except Harvard) are in Hockey East.

Instead of URI/PC being another Cincy/Xavier, Wisc/Marquette, Tenn/Memphis, etc., playing it twice would elevate it above those others in my estimation. Those of us who remember watching them play twice per year with Chris Clark on the call on WJAR-TV...pretty cool.

With that said, it'll never happen.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 8 months ago

I know and you kmow playing those teams is not like playing a rivalry game. I doubt there are any teams that play twice that are not in the same conference anymore.
You're probably right. But if we flip that reasoning on its head for a second, think about this...

What if URI vs. PC (and New Mexico/NMSU) were the ONLY twice-played non-conference rivalry in the country?! How cool would that be? Now that would be a pretty unique thing to claim for both schools and the state of RI. It would speak highly of the interest in college basketball in the state and really allow this rivalry to stand out among other similar rivalries in the sport. They don't cancel the Beanpot because those schools (except Harvard) are in Hockey East.

Instead of URI/PC being another Cincy/Xavier, Wisc/Marquette, Tenn/Memphis, etc., playing it twice would elevate it above those others in my estimation. Those of us who remember watching them play twice per year with Chris Clark on the call on WJAR-TV...pretty cool.

Unique doesn't build a resume for the tournament. Teams that play 11 game OOCs don't have the same flexibility as teams who play 14-15 game OOCs... Also, New Mexico/New Mexico St are one bid conferences anyway, so they could play CCRI 14 times for all I care, it doesn't really change their situation...
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah no thanks on Friartown x2

Doubt they want it either….
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

As much as I enjoy the present, I sure do miss those days. That was some great, high level, intense college basketball back then. Those of us who got to experience it are very fortunate.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Should let this rest...rj is right. No matter how much the fandom lusts for URI-PC to play each other every month...it really doesn't do them much good these days. That's my 'anecdote', unfortunately....
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah in this day and age that’s not about to happen again
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Unique doesn't build a resume for the tournament. Teams that play 11 game OOCs don't have the same flexibility as teams who play 14-15 game OOCs... Also, New Mexico/New Mexico St are one bid conferences anyway, so they could play CCRI 14 times for all I care, it doesn't really change their situation...
Hasn’t the Mountain West had multiple bids the last few years? Not that it matters one URI/PC game per year is enough. Times have changed
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 8 months ago

Hasn’t the Mountain West had multiple bids the last few years? Not that it matters one URI/PC game per year is enough. Times have changed
Mountain West had 4 NCAA Bids last year
Mountain West was the 5th Ranked Conference by NET
7A8AC5E9-1226-420E-BE0A-5884E3D99F48.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rothstein has the Friars coming in 7th in BE

7. Providence
Projected Starting 5:
G Jayden Pierre
G Corey Floyd Jr.
G Devin Carter
F Bryce Hopkins
F Josh Oduro
Projected Bench: Donovan Santoro, Rafael Castro, Justyn Fernandez, Davonte Gaines, Richard Barron, Garway Dual, Will McNair Jr.
Key Newcomers: Donovan Santoro, Josh Oduro (George Mason), Justyn Fernandez (George Mason), Davonte Gaines (George Mason), Richard Barron, Garway Dual, Will McNair Jr. (Mississippi State)
Key Losses: Ed Croswell, Noah Locke, Jared Bynum

Rothstein has Georgetown 8th but I'd bet Georgetown finishes ahead of Kim English
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The C-USA top ten in NET?? No way.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago Rothstein has the Friars coming in 7th in BE

7. Providence
Projected Starting 5:
G Jayden Pierre
G Corey Floyd Jr.
G Devin Carter
F Bryce Hopkins
F Josh Oduro
Projected Bench: Donovan Santoro, Rafael Castro, Justyn Fernandez, Davonte Gaines, Richard Barron, Garway Dual, Will McNair Jr.
Key Newcomers: Donovan Santoro, Josh Oduro (George Mason), Justyn Fernandez (George Mason), Davonte Gaines (George Mason), Richard Barron, Garway Dual, Will McNair Jr. (Mississippi State)

Rothstein has Georgetown 8th but I'd bet Georgetown finishes ahead of Kim English
I think English is the 2nd coming of Dave Cox but with Carter/Hopkins/Oduro they’re top half of the Big East.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dan Hurley not hesitant to play tough teams in OOC. Somebody forgot to tell him you are supposed to schedule a bunch of cupcakes in OOC games to rest up for the big bad big east schedule.

From today's Hartford Courant.......

The UConn men’s basketball team will meet Indiana in the Empire Classic at Madison Square Garden on November 19, tournament officials announced Monday. The game is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
Texas and Louisville will play in the second game of the Sunday doubleheader. Both the consolation and the championship game will take place on Monday, Nov. 20, beginning at 4:30 p.m.
Indiana is the third blue-blood program on the defending national champions’ loaded non-conference schedule, which has not yet been announced in full. The Huskies will fly out to Allen Fieldhouse to play Kansas in the Big East-Big 12 Battle on Dec. 1, then return to Madison Square Garden to face North Carolina in the Jimmy V Classic on Dec. 5.
Last edited by ramster 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago

7. Providence
Projected Starting 5:
G Jayden Pierre
G Corey Floyd Jr.
G Devin Carter
F Bryce Hopkins
F Josh Oduro
Newcomers : Donovan Santoro, Josh Oduro (George Mason), Justyn Fernandez (George Mason), Davonte Gaines (George Mason), Richard Barron, Garway Dual, Will McNair Jr. (Mississippi State)

I think English is the 2nd coming of Dave Cox but with Carter/Hopkins/Oduro they’re top half of the Big East.
Given the choice between Archie Miller and Kim English I'm taking the same guy as you are Blue Man
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

7. Providence
Projected Starting 5:
G Jayden Pierre
G Corey Floyd Jr.
G Devin Carter
F Bryce Hopkins
F Josh Oduro

I am thinking 7th behind UConn, Creighton, Marquette, Villanova, St. John’s, and Xavier. St. John’s still waiting on transfer Jenkins to qualify and graduate this summer. He will be their starting PG.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

7. Providence
Projected Starting 5:
G Jayden Pierre
G Corey Floyd Jr.
G Devin Carter
F Bryce Hopkins
F Josh Oduro

Think he already has a leg up on Cox in being able to keep the team intact . With Cox on board think you would have seen a mass exodus. Seems to me to have much better communication skills. Guess we will find out on the coaching aspect soon enough. Cox set you're program back years he really did very little right. I guess anything is possible but if so he fooled a lot of people who recommended him.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Cox initially retained the entire roster. Including a top 25 recruiting class that had committed to Dan. He too was highly regarded in the profession, recommended by many incl the current national champ coach. Until KE does something he’s never done (coach a team to the top of his conference) he will be a question mark.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

He actually improved in his second year at GM with some key injuries down the stretch. Believe he won twenty games and beat a good Auburn team on the road. You are correct that he is a question mark but I feel very confident he will be much more successful then Cox. He will certainly be thrown right into the fire right away. The Big East should possibly have their best year as the NBE. Also another good sign is his star players following him to PC.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

English is a fantastic recruiter. They had some great moments, including that 7 game winning streak late but then in arguably his biggest game of his coaching career Travis Ford destroyed him and they lost by 30.. but he has plenty of time to grow. I just don’t think he’ll ever come close to being Ed Cooley who’s a massive loss for PC.

Year 1 may be his best year. I think they’ll be a tournament team.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Way too early to try and draw any conclusions or make any predictions about English's hire.
At only 34 with only 2 years prior experience as a HC, who knows.
He came to PC highly recommended by Rick Barnes and many in the coaching community feel he is a rising star.
Was already considered an excellent recruiter.

He does have a nice base to start with keeping Carter and Hopkins.
Along with young talents in Pierre, Floyd, and Castro.
Oduro, Gaines, and Fernandez thought enough of English to follow him to PC.

Yes, the BE is loaded with talented veteran HC's and it won't be easy: Pitino, Hurley, McDermott, Miller, Shaka, Matta, and yeah Cooley. Plus Holloway and a young Kyle Neptune.

English was also able to nab consensus 4* top 50 2023 recruit Garwey Dual plus 2024 PG 4* Daquan Davis.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago Way too early to try and draw any conclusions or make any predictions about English's hire.
He came to PC highly recommended by Rick Barnes and many in the coaching community feel he is a rising star.

Yes, the BE is loaded with talented veteran HC's and it won't be easy: Pitino, Hurley, McDermott, Miller, Shaka, Matta, and yeah Cooley. Plus Holloway and a young Kyle Neptune.

English was also able to nab consensus 4* top 50 2023 recruit Garwey Dual plus 2024 PG 4* Daquan Davis.
Yea I think the most impressive thing he’s done is getting Dual to recommit.

I’ve seen articles where evaluators have him as a one and done / first round pick type talent.

I don’t really give English too much credit in keeping Hopkins and Carter as there would’ve been a good chance both of them would have had to sit out this year as a two time transfer.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago Way too early to try and draw any conclusions or make any predictions about English's hire.

Yea I think the most impressive thing he’s done is getting Dual to recommit.

I’ve seen articles where evaluators have him as a one and done / first round pick type talent.

I don’t really give English too much credit in keeping Hopkins and Carter as there would’ve been a good chance both of them would have had to sit out this year as a two time transfer.
Well yeah not sure Carter and Hopkins would have been willing to transfer and probably have to sit.
So not giving English total credit for keeping them but still like I said they are a very good pair for him to start with.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

OOC conference announced.

Assumption as an exhibition, we’ve had D2 teams before as an exhibition, no issue there.

However, Johnson and Wales on the schedule as a legitimate non conference home game.

Embarrassing.
1 x
Go Rhody