Football Portal 2023

All things Rhody Rams football.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Football Portal 2023

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 8 months ago Ramster-Rhowdy is right on this one.
You are making too much of his leaving.
Bonner was good runner,but waaay too much circumstantial going against him to be starting QB .
I never said Bonner-Steward would be the starting QB.
That is clearly Hill's job and Fleming has indicated as much.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

For the record, I’m still not surprised.

I just didn’t see the utility in defending why I wasn’t surprised to ramster.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 8 months ago For the record, I’m still not surprised.

I just didn’t see the utility in defending why I wasn’t surprised to ramster.
And I'm still very surprised - most of my surprise is in the timing

But that's Free Agency for ya. I'm still getting used Free Agency.

Sounds like several here saw Bonner-Steward entering the portal coming.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think sometimes people use the same logic with the football roster that they do with the 13 scholarship basketball roster, which is to say “oh no, someone left, we’re doooomed!”

The player we are referring to was going to be watching from the sidelines for his final year of football unless Hill gets injured, this must have been an incredible, personal disappointment to this player and I do not begrudge him looking for a better opportunity for his last year of eligibility.

The football roster is constantly in flux. All we can hope for is that the people coming in are as capable as those leaving. That isn’t always the case when you have an all american left tackle leaving who is a sure round one nfl draft prospect leaving, but I am willing to believe that in most instances it evens out and that is the case
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I am not in any way, shape or form saying "we are doomed" because Bonner-Steward decided to enter the portal this week.

He has known for some time now that Hill was returning.

He was a starting QB for one of the Spring Game Teams, easily outplaying the other QB.

So I trust Fleming and Staff on this. We will be fine.

Was I surprised? Absolutely. Primarily in that we are just weeks away from Kick Off in the 1996 Olympic Stadium.

Best of luck to Bonner-Steward in the Portal. Hopefully he lands in a good spot.

Can't wait for August 31!!!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Without knowing for sure, I'd guess it's one of two things:

1. Bos8 has bingo and Bonner-Steward needed to complete coursework to officially be a grad student, so once he did his ability to transfer changed. He started his college career at Temple, so he would have been subject to the new NCAA transfer policy but being a grad student gets around that. Or

2. Another QB passed him early in training camp. Devin Farrell didn't join the team until after spring camp, perhaps he already jumped him on the depth chart early in fall camp.

For good or bad, I'm not sure it matters that much. If Kasim Hill stays healthy he's the QB. If he doesn't stay healthy our playoff hopes are probably toast anyway, so better to get experience for our QB of the future. Best of luck to Bonner-Steward wherever he ends up
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

"Kennique Bonner-Steward opened with the first-team offense. He was 13-of-23 for 202 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Quarterback Trevor Nored was 5-of-16 for 100 yards, one touchdown and one pick. Wide receiver Kahtero Summers caught Nored's scoring pass, a 72-yard touchdown. Summers had a game-high 101 receiving yards."

I'm not really a fan of cherry picking stats, but if I remember right Summers did most of the heavy lifting on that touchdown. 4 of 15 for 28 yards and one pick outside of the touchdown is not good.

Not sure where Nored would be on the depth chart, but I'd be surprised if he was listed as the backup going into the season opener
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was not impressed by Nored in the Spring game.

Bonner-Steward was solid with his passing but also with his running. There were several times that he scrambled and/or the offensive line opened good holes that Bonner-Steward exploited for potentially big gains.
I say "potentially big gains" because in this game the QB's are not allowed to be tackled. They can run through a hole, get to wide open space but then play is stopped. Obviously they don't want the QB's getting hurt.

Best of luck to him.

Id be surprised if Nored is in the top 3 QB's in the depth chart.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago I was not impressed by Nored in the Spring game.

Bonner-Steward was solid with his passing but also with his running. There were several times that he scrambled and/or the offensive line opened good holes that Bonner-Steward exploited for potentially big gains.
I say "potentially big gains" because in this game the QB's are not allowed to be tackled. They can run through a hole, get to wide open space but then play is stopped. Obviously they don't want the QB's getting hurt.

Best of luck to him.

As was mentioned, Devin Farrell the transfer from Virginia Tech as well as Jackson Ortrowsky weren't here in the Spring. At that point, Nored was a true freshman in his first year of college competing against some guys in their fifth and sixth. To compare Kennique's performance to Nored's and use that as the reason Kennique was going to be a difference maker isn't fair to anyone.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 8 months ago
ramster wrote: 8 months ago I was not impressed by Nored in the Spring game.

Best of luck to him.

As was mentioned, Devin Farrell the transfer from Virginia Tech as well as Jackson Ortrowsky weren't here in the Spring. At that point, Nored was a true freshman in his first year of college competing against some guys in their fifth and sixth. To compare Kennique's performance to Nored's and use that as the reason Kennique was going to be a difference maker isn't fair to anyone.
Not saying Bonner-Steward was going to be a difference maker at all. Not at ALL. Kasim Hill is the QB - Period. Nored was bad from the game I watched in the spring.

Bonner- Steward played well in that game.

But bottom line, I get Bonner-Steward leaving, I really do. I can fully understand him leaving - I would too. But the surprise to me is that it's happening in August with our 1st game in August. That's all.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's a good thing when we're debating who the backup qb is
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."