Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Practice Facility

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago There is direct response marketing and there is brand building. Billboard or out of home isn’t designed to be direct response. Digital and other platforms are better vehicles for that. But you don’t build a brand solely by running ads to sell something (ticket packages etc). Each has its place in the marketing mix.
You work in advertising or marketing, right? Of course you would think bullshit ads are great. All money, no accountability!
I sure do. The accountability is sales, brand resonance, reach, engagement. Nike seems to sell a lot of shoes and spend a lot on advertising. Surely they must think it works? Are there wastes of spend in the space of course. Discounting all advertising as wasteful is just too wrong to argue.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Where did I discount all advertising? I limited my argument to billboards and airport signage, which in fact are bullshit ads because there is no engagement and no means of measuring their effectiveness
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Where did I discount all advertising? I limited my argument to billboards and airport signage, which in fact are bullshit ads because there is no engagement and no means of measuring their effectiveness
Again not all marketing is intended to drive engagement.
Some are to drive reach and awareness. You need both to build a brand. If you aren’t even on people’s radar and relevant the most clever marketing to drive engagement won’t matter. This isn’t a theory; it’s tried and true.

And again that’s not saying there isn’t waste in advertising. There is. But for Rhody and the goal of winning hearts and minds across the state there is value in some use of big exposure out of home / place based marketing.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Like seriously, roadside billboards and airport advertising is literally the worst advertising you can do. You're talking about two areas where people are in a hurry and not paying attention to ads and assuming they're moving slow enough to notice ads they're being inconvenienced and are in a foul mood. If you're in a foul mood you're not engaging with the ad in a positive state, so it's not sticking with you in a positive manner. If I'm sitting in traffic on 95 north and just got cut off I'm not interested in anything being thrown in my face at that moment.

Again, those types of ads are highly visible but terrible investments. Personally I'm glad our competitors are wasting their money on those ads and I'm happy we're not burning what marketing budget we do have on them
there is no such thing as bad publicity.

here we are, talking about the marketing of other schools in state on a different schools fan board. seems like those other schools did something right.
0 x
:lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

But it doesn’t work lol
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Ah yes don’t advertise in airports bc ppl are in foul moods there and it doesn’t work. Advertising is subconscious. No people don’t see a billboard and immediately ring up admissions or the ticket office. That’s not generally how marketing works. It’s reach X frequency. Reach equals total eyeballs exposed to a message and frequency is how often. It all adds up. If you don’t think the high exposure billboard in PVD, takeovers in the airport and other points of entry doesn’t further PCs brand and perception I don’t know what to tell you.
If you've got an argument against what I'm saying your argument is against Psychology 101. Shit, most people learn about Pavlov's dog in middle or high school. If people are seeing these signs in places where they're in a bad mood that creates a negative attachment to a brand. Again, that's basic, entry level psychology, not some argument I'm making up out of nowhere
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Ah yes don’t advertise in airports bc ppl are in foul moods there and it doesn’t work. Advertising is subconscious. No people don’t see a billboard and immediately ring up admissions or the ticket office. That’s not generally how marketing works. It’s reach X frequency. Reach equals total eyeballs exposed to a message and frequency is how often. It all adds up. If you don’t think the high exposure billboard in PVD, takeovers in the airport and other points of entry doesn’t further PCs brand and perception I don’t know what to tell you.
If you've got an argument against what I'm saying your argument is against Psychology 101. Shit, most people learn about Pavlov's dog in middle or high school. If people are seeing these signs in places where they're in a bad mood that creates a negative attachment to a brand. Again, that's basic, entry level psychology, not some argument I'm making up out of nowhere
The idea that everyone in the airport is in a foul mood is ridiculous. And everyone driving is pissed off. That’s maybe you projecting or some really odd intuition you might have. Nothing about your opinion here has anything to do with psychology. I’m about to fly home today and I will be in a great mood when I land home and get to see my son. I’ll also be in a good mood on my drive home from the airport in anticipation of seeing his face when i walk in. I’ll also likely drive by a DH/UConn billboard (that doesn’t do anything to further the UConn brand) on my way home.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is there any advertising done at South County beaches? There's a place where thousands and thousands would see them.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago
The idea that everyone in the airport is in a foul mood is ridiculous. And everyone driving is pissed off. That’s maybe you projecting or some really odd intuition you might have. Nothing about your opinion here has anything to do with psychology. I’m about to fly home today and I will be in a great mood when I land home and get to see my son. I’ll also be in a good mood on my drive home from the airport in anticipation of seeing his face when i walk in. I’ll also likely drive by a DH/UConn billboard (that doesn’t do anything to further the UConn brand) on my way home.
"In October of 2019, The Zebra surveyed Americans across the United States for their opinions and behaviors regarding road rage. The following data points are taken from the aforementioned survey.

82% of drivers in the U.S. admit to having road rage or driving aggressively at least once in the past year.
59% of drivers reported showing anger by honking.
45% of drivers report changing lanes without signaling.
42% of drivers claimed they've yelled or cursed loudly at another driver.
38% said they've used rude or obscene gestures against other drivers."

"Consumer data backs up Roberson’s feeling: the US flying public is not happy. A Gallup poll in August found that 37 per cent of Americans held a negative view of the airline industry, compared with 27 per cent who held a favourable impression — the first time in more than a decade that critics have outnumbered fans."

Yeah, I'm projecting or have really odd intuition or maybe I'm citing the American public at large
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ok so by your logic if a Cleveland Browns fan is watching a game and they are losing by 20 every single ad they see is a negative association and useless? Live sports are one of the biggest ad vehicles around (look at realignment) and by nature 1 team is always losing and their fans in some level of unhappiness. It’s illogical.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Ok so by your logic if a Cleveland Browns fan is watching a game and they are losing by 20 every single ad they see is a negative association and useless? Live sports are one of the biggest ad vehicles around (look at realignment) and by nature 1 team is always losing and their fans in some level of unhappiness. It’s illogical.
If my argument is illogical then your issue is with hundreds of years of psychological research not with me
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The leap you are making from emotions tied to travel to Ad efficacy is not based on hundreds of years of research. It’s a giant leap being made from 1 set of data points. You know I can point to hundreds of data points around successful brands that also deploy OOH advertising in their marketing mix right?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago The leap you are making from emotions tied to travel to Ad efficacy is not based on hundreds of years of research. It’s a giant leap being made from 1 set of data points. You know I can point to hundreds of data points around successful brands that also deploy OOH advertising in their marketing mix right?
Seriously, you're using your one data point of your travel today, which you assume goes smoothly, which is completely tied to your emotions. Your anecdote is not data.

I provided surveys and information. I know that's foreign to people in the ad industry that like to just make things up, but it's actual real data taken from more than one person, as shocking as that might be to you
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Apple, Coca Cola, McDonald’s, Nike. All amongst the most valuable brands in the world. All run by pretty smart people. All utilize OOH in their mix. That’s not anecdotal.

From Forbes…

There’s a reason that billboards have stood the test of time - they are extremely effective at reaching large audiences every single day. OOH advertising creates brand awareness and keeps those brands top of mind, playing a pivotal role in a consumer’s path to purchase. Unlike print or digital, outdoor advertisements have a longer life span, ensuring your target audience sees and remembers your product and brand. As Gen-Zers spending power is on the rise and Millennials represent the largest group of consumers, it’s important to understand the preferred ad consumption of these cohorts. According to a recent Prosper Insights & Analytics survey, only 10.8% of Gen-Zers read mediums like newspapers and magazines, so appealing to them through OOH content is crucial. In a Kantar Millward Brown study, findings revealed that Gen-Z and Millennials overwhelmingly rejected mobile/web/app advertisements while preferring OOH advertising like billboards or posters.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

What I will say - re: ads and ad spending - I subscribe to Archie's theory:

If we are winning, people will come.

People will pack the Ryan Center for one of 2 reasons: we are winning, or we are playing a huge team. That's it. No amount of advertising or marketing will change that fact.

URI doesn't have the draw of being in a city and getting people coming out of the office or going out to eat. The only draw in Kingston is the team or game itself. People could casually be walking down the street and say "eh, wanna go to the PC game?" and walk over. No one is randomly lost on a turf farm stumbling around thinking "wow, maybe i'll saunter over to those lights and see what's happening!"

PC has market share because they have been good. 7/9 tournament appearances, a sweet 16 a year and a half ago, and they knock off a top 5 team at home just about every other year. They also get 3-4 ranked home games a year.

You could have every friartown sign in the world every inch of 95, but the Keno Davis Friars weren't packing the arena every night.

If Rhody is 11-2/12-1 rolling into the UMass game in January, I'd bet you'd see a sellout no matter where our billboards are.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago What I will say - re: ads and ad spending - I subscribe to Archie's theory:

If we are winning, people will come.

People will pack the Ryan Center for one of 2 reasons: we are winning, or we are playing a huge team. That's it. No amount of advertising or marketing will change that fact.

URI doesn't have the draw of being in a city and getting people coming out of the office or going out to eat. The only draw in Kingston is the team or game itself. People could casually be walking down the street and say "eh, wanna go to the PC game?" and walk over. No one is randomly lost on a turf farm stumbling around thinking "wow, maybe i'll saunter over to those lights and see what's happening!"

PC has market share because they have been good. 7/9 tournament appearances, a sweet 16 a year and a half ago, and they knock off a top 5 team at home just about every other year. They also get 3-4 ranked home games a year.

You could have every friartown sign in the world every inch of 95, but the Keno Davis Friars weren't packing the arena every night.

If Rhody is 11-2/12-1 rolling into the UMass game in January, I'd bet you'd see a sellout no matter where our billboards are.
Again I mostly agree with this but I also think winning and branding can work in combination, where the branding piece works as a sort of accelerant to build on the benefits gained by actually having a good product. So yes, marketing in the absence of winning is worthless - lipstick on a pig. But winning in the absence of an effort to raise brand awareness is leaving exposure and, ultimately, money on the table.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree with all of that. No marketing is going to overcome a shitty product. However if the product is good then smart marketing can amplify it further and extend the reach.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

OK, TP and BAR I 100% agree with the premise.

Where I think URI is unique, and the challenge - is that even when good, I don't think the advertising changes anything about how many people show up to a game. 75% of the state's population is 30+ mins away from the Ryan Center.

And the 15k students on campus are impervious to signage on 95 or at the airport.

The money and eyeballs equation isn't really about URI marketing itself as it is URI being good enough to get better TV games and more people in the stands so that Rhody Sports Properties can go and sell against those eyeballs.

It's a Rhode Islander thing - but a 30 min drive at night better have a damn good carrot at the end of a stick to get a casual fan to Kingston. Be ranked or play someone ranked. Otherwise it won't matter.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago OK, TP and BAR I 100% agree with the premise.

Where I think URI is unique, and the challenge - is that even when good, I don't think the advertising changes anything about how many people show up to a game. 75% of the state's population is 30+ mins away from the Ryan Center.

And the 15k students on campus are impervious to signage on 95 or at the airport.

The money and eyeballs equation isn't really about URI marketing itself as it is URI being good enough to get better TV games and more people in the stands so that Rhody Sports Properties can go and sell against those eyeballs.

It's a Rhode Islander thing - but a 30 min drive at night better have a damn good carrot at the end of a stick to get a casual fan to Kingston. Be ranked or play someone ranked. Otherwise it won't matter.
What marketing money we do have should be sent on promotions to get people, especially students, through the door. Free food, free souvenir, etc. Putting up random signs in random places and hoping and praying isn't smart advertising or marketing. Hell, mailing every household in South County and southeast CT a schedule magnet would be more effective. At least then people would know when the games are.

Most of the arguments for billboards and TF Green signage is crying that PC has something so we should have it to. That's not a marketing strategy
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

But you aren’t factoring in the many other objectives that elevating the Rhody brand can work against besides selling tickets. Again there are direct response and targeted efforts that go against that and should continue. But What about possible donors? What about recruits that land at TF Green? What about the general pop that needs to be reminded the flagship university exists even if they don’t immediately buy tickets to the Bonaventure game. It all adds up.

Marketing is subconscious. Brand is impt. TV, OOH, radio, digital, promos, we need it all and there are different objectives for each platform. Some drive reach, some drive engagement some drive response. You don’t build a brand just running ticket giveaways and Facebook ads.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Random signs in random places? Lol who is suggesting that. And my POV has zero to do with what PC does. Have you ever checked out how VCU markets themselves? How they went all in after some success. They freakin wrap buses in Brooklyn during the A10 tourney. Guess what they aren’t trying to sell tickets or generate immediate calls to admission. They are trying to elevate the perception and visibility of their brand.

Great branding in high traffic / high impact areas is anything but random.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Apple, Coca Cola, McDonald’s, Nike. All amongst the most valuable brands in the world. All run by pretty smart people. All utilize OOH in their mix. That’s not anecdotal.

From Forbes…

There’s a reason that billboards have stood the test of time - they are extremely effective at reaching large audiences every single day. OOH advertising creates brand awareness and keeps those brands top of mind, playing a pivotal role in a consumer’s path to purchase. Unlike print or digital, outdoor advertisements have a longer life span, ensuring your target audience sees and remembers your product and brand. As Gen-Zers spending power is on the rise and Millennials represent the largest group of consumers, it’s important to understand the preferred ad consumption of these cohorts. According to a recent Prosper Insights & Analytics survey, only 10.8% of Gen-Zers read mediums like newspapers and magazines, so appealing to them through OOH content is crucial. In a Kantar Millward Brown study, findings revealed that Gen-Z and Millennials overwhelmingly rejected mobile/web/app advertisements while preferring OOH advertising like billboards or posters.
Why do you think people prefer billboards over mobile/web/app advertisements?

Because they can ignore billboards in ways they can't ignore other ads!

As an advertiser, do you want your ad to be easily ignored or do you want it front and center?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Apple, Coca Cola, McDonald’s, Nike. All amongst the most valuable brands in the world. All run by pretty smart people. All utilize OOH in their mix. That’s not anecdotal.

From Forbes…

As an advertiser, do you want your ad to be easily ignored or do you want it front and center?
That’s literally the opposite of what is true. You going to shut your eyes while you are driving? OOH is effective bc there is less clutter than other ad channels and it’s harder to avoid.

I can change the channel or click the X and leave a website a whole lot easier than I can tune out a giant billboard in my driving view.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

But you aren’t factoring in the many other objectives that elevating the Rhody brand can work against besides selling tickets. Again there are direct response and targeted efforts that go against that and should continue. But What about possible donors? What about recruits that land at TF Green? What about the general pop that needs to be reminded the flagship university exists even if they don’t immediately buy tickets to the Bonaventure game. It all adds up.

Marketing is subconscious. Brand is impt. TV, OOH, radio, digital, promos, we need it all and there are different objectives for each platform. Some drive reach, some drive engagement some drive response. You don’t build a brand just running ticket giveaways and Facebook ads.
Certainly not disagreeing with you there.

My argument is merely that all of these problems are solved with winning, specifically at URI. Considering we haven't done a lot of that lately, why would we push marketing to the end of putting lipstick on a pig.

We definitely agree on the premise of advertising and why/how it works. I just feel that for URI basketball it doesn't matter. Hell, for anything URI it doesn't matter. Spend $100M on advertising for a 9 win team and you still won't get the national games or the sell outs you need to drive future revenue or get donors excited. Pulling more eyeballs to a bad product just highlights your bad product and excites no one.

Spend $0 on advertising a 25 win, top 15 team - and you'll have national games flexed in, sellouts, and more donors wanting access than ever before.

From the donor side of the fence you have two kinds of donors. There's a 3rd kind that won't donate no matter what, the "i buy my tickets" kind and that's unfortunately a majority of the fanbase. But there's your stalwarts - guys that will give to the program no matter what, and the excited/scarcity types.

If it's easy to get a ticket or get access to a product - no one is excited or worried that they'll be denied access. But if we get good, tickets start to sell out - access type events pop up that you can't get into...then you'll see those second donors pop up and that's who you really need.

Win and it takes care of everything. I don't disagree with anything you're saying, just saying that URI is incredibly unique. Like an ugly dog. Tough to love but it's ours so we love it anyway.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Lol I can see the billboard now…Rhody Hoops, Your Ugly Dog!!

Boom
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago I drive into providence everyday and see that welcome to friartown billboard and I’ll be honest, that is a great marketing tool. Thousands see that everyday. If URI had one similar as you drive Into south county, that would be awesome. It’s promoted the brand and the local culture.
Mrs. Red and I spent a weekend in Rhode Island last month. We landed at Green Airport, went to baggage claim and the first thing I saw was a huge mental-hospital billboard.

The first thing people should see after landing in Rhode Island is a billboard for the state university. It's called image advertising, simply there to build brand awareness and to reinforce the idea that the University of Rhode Island, not the mental hospital, is the state's university, and that Rhode Island is proud of its state university.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 8 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago I drive into providence everyday and see that welcome to friartown billboard and I’ll be honest, that is a great marketing tool. Thousands see that everyday. If URI had one similar as you drive Into south county, that would be awesome. It’s promoted the brand and the local culture.
Mrs. Red and I spent a weekend in Rhode Island last month. We landed at Green Airport, went to baggage claim and the first thing I saw was a huge mental-hospital billboard.

The first thing people should see after landing in Rhode Island is a billboard for the state university. It's called image advertising, simply there to build brand awareness and to reinforce the idea that the University of Rhode Island, not the mental hospital, is the state's university, and that Rhode Island is proud of its state university.
I agree!!! Doesn't matter if it's cost efficient. Worth every penny.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

From Forbes…

That’s literally the opposite of what is true. You going to shut your eyes while you are driving? OOH is effective bc there is less clutter than other ad channels and it’s harder to avoid.

I can change the channel or click the X and leave a website a whole lot easier than I can tune out a giant billboard in my driving view.
Also I don’t remember the last time a billboard made me angry at the advertiser merely for it existing. Billboards are just there, they aren’t negatively interfering with anything. Whereas when I open a web page on my phone and an ad pops up, I’m pissed at the website for inconveniencing me and I’m mad at the advertiser for inconveniencing me, and I’m mad in general at the sort of voyeurism tracking that goes on that I know was behind my being targeted in that way, and in response I actively form a negative association with the advertiser - I won’t buy whatever they’re trying to sell me on principal because I think that kind of advertising is unbecoming and morally reprehensible. Talk about negative associations…brands that I suspect of spying on me are the worst brands and I’ll do whatever I can to avoid them.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Ram logo/light on the ceiling is outstanding!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 8 months ago

Also I don’t remember the last time a billboard made me angry at the advertiser merely for it existing. Billboards are just there, they aren’t negatively interfering with anything. Whereas when I open a web page on my phone and an ad pops up, I’m pissed at the website for inconveniencing me and I’m mad at the advertiser for inconveniencing me, and I’m mad in general at the sort of voyeurism tracking that goes on that I know was behind my being targeted in that way, and in response I actively form a negative association with the advertiser - I won’t buy whatever they’re trying to sell me on principal because I think that kind of advertising is unbecoming and morally reprehensible. Talk about negative associations…brands that I suspect of spying on me are the worst brands and I’ll do whatever I can to avoid them.
Don't all brands track you these days?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago The Ram logo/light on the ceiling is outstanding!
Yeah I need one of those! :lol:
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of the practice facility, I wonder if there will be an event like we had last year with the tour of the locker rooms, film room, etc. that will include the practice facility this Fall.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Then you have never driven up I95 north to Providence and seen the friar billboard.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago

Don't all brands track you these days?
Right, nevermind the websites he goes on, the phone itself is tracking you. If you don't want to be spied on get rid of your smartphone and never go on the internet
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Speaking of the practice facility, I wonder if there will be an event like we had last year with the tour of the locker rooms, film room, etc. that will include the practice facility this Fall.
That would be a great idea as part of an open practice
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

you're my spirit animal
0 x
:lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Speaking of the practice facility, I wonder if there will be an event like we had last year with the tour of the locker rooms, film room, etc. that will include the practice facility this Fall.
I would assume so, there's a season ticket holder event every year.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Would have loved the “Rhode Island” lettering to have “rams” underneath but looks great!
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’d like a digital sign over Route I 95 that says Rhody Men’s Basketball and our record is 23-2 Then keep adding wins.
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The main basketball locker rooms for both men and women should be at the Practice Facility and not the Ryan Center. The locker rooms at the RC should be used for games only. The current setup is crazy. Do you think UMass players walk over to the Mullins Center locker rooms when they have a practice in their practice facility? Or PC players to the AMP? Solve the water problem in the old racquetball courts and build locker rooms with stairs from the practice facility. How hard can this be?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

6 more years and $100M

We’ll be in freaking division III before they finish.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody72 wrote: 8 months ago The main basketball locker rooms for both men and women should be at the Practice Facility and not the Ryan Center. The locker rooms at the RC should be used for games only. The current setup is crazy. Do you think UMass players walk over to the Mullins Center locker rooms when they have a practice in their practice facility? Or PC players to the AMP? Solve the water problem in the old racquetball courts and build locker rooms with stairs from the practice facility. How hard can this be?
Honestly this is why I thought retrofitting that space for this was a bad idea. Just build new and you don’t have issues with old plumbing.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Wait, we're seriously criticizing the fact that players will have to walk about 300 feet, basically home plate to Pesky Pole at Fenway, to go from their locker rooms to the practice facility? And they'll be indoors the entire time?

The fact that we're comparing The Ryan Center/Soloviev Practice Facility situation to what UMass and PC need from their facilities is ludicrous, so ludicrous that it's not even worth my time to explain how dumb it is. You either get it or you don't, and if you don't there's no helping you.

And if we're building new, where do you plan to build this new facility?
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Wait, we're seriously criticizing the fact that players will have to walk about 300 feet, basically home plate to Pesky Pole at Fenway, to go from their locker rooms to the practice facility? And they'll be indoors the entire time?

The fact that we're comparing The Ryan Center/Soloviev Practice Facility situation to what UMass and PC need from their facilities is ludicrous, so ludicrous that it's not even worth my time to explain how dumb it is. You either get it or you don't, and if you don't there's no helping you.

And if we're building new, where do you plan to build this new facility?
Time for (electric) Tuk Tuks
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 8 months ago
Rhody72 wrote: 8 months ago The main basketball locker rooms for both men and women should be at the Practice Facility and not the Ryan Center. The locker rooms at the RC should be used for games only. The current setup is crazy. Do you think UMass players walk over to the Mullins Center locker rooms when they have a practice in their practice facility? Or PC players to the AMP? Solve the water problem in the old racquetball courts and build locker rooms with stairs from the practice facility. How hard can this be?
Honestly this is why I thought retrofitting that space for this was a bad idea. Just build new and you don’t have issues with old plumbing.
Here is the layout of Ryan, Tootell, Keaney and Mackal. All 4 facilities connect. You can walk from the far end of Ryan Center to the far dnd of Mackal without going outside.

I numbered 4 key areas that MBB and WBB access on a frequent basis.

1. New MBB/WBB Practice Facility (Formerly Tootell West Double Basketball Courts)
2. Physical Therapy Room
3. Academic Assistance Room
4. Weight Training Room

Note that the Practice Facility is about the same distance from the Ryan Center as the Weight Facility.
Academic assistance and Physical Therapy are further away than the Weight Room and practice Facility.

New Locker Rooms for MBB and WBB for the Practice Facility were NEVER part of the scope for this Project. Never from Day 1.

If you were to build a new practice facility separate from these 4 main buildings then players/coaches would need to access by going outdoors and walking a longer distance than they will now.

Note also that Athletes Reside in Brookside which is across the street from the North end of Meade. Diagonally across from the Ryan Center. Not far. All the athletes walk to the Ryan Center, Tootell, Keaney and Mackal from Brookside.

21E45974-3DDA-479E-ABB9-4B0415752AB3.jpeg

25C68EC0-5C12-465C-8A80-E77816AE713D.png
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Y’all are too nice wasting your time replying to 72.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You know things are looking up when Rhody72 has to stretch so far to "the players have to walk a few hundred feet" just to find something to complain and troll about!
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago Y’all are too nice wasting your time replying to 72.
72 has not been the only poster to complain about the locker rooms and the distance
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

They really oughtta get new locker rooms as part of the weightlifting facility, too.
1 x