Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Enjoying some PBruins with the family at the AMP, the only sport this place does well, and not only do they have functional WiFi, they have ultra wide band 5G which means I don’t even need the WiFi!

Come on, Ryan Center!! Provide one or the other to your patrons!
"The only sport this place does well"

Why can't people here just admit PC games are put on very well, are now an event marked on the calendar (like our two tourney years) and they have a tremendous home court advantage these days?

It is a fact while some here like it or not.
Hockey arenas are objectively bad places to watch basketball games
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Enjoying some PBruins with the family at the AMP, the only sport this place does well, and not only do they have functional WiFi, they have ultra wide band 5G which means I don’t even need the WiFi!

Come on, Ryan Center!! Provide one or the other to your patrons!

Why can't people here just admit PC games are put on very well, are now an event marked on the calendar (like our two tourney years) and they have a tremendous home court advantage these days?

Agree here. Atmosphere aside, the sightlines there are sub-optimal at best. I always feel like I'm sitting too far away from the court given how low to the ground my seat is whenever I attend a game there.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Agree here. Atmosphere aside, the sightlines there are sub-optimal at best. I always feel like I'm sitting too far away from the court given how low to the ground my seat is whenever I attend a game there.
While all true - the Ryan Center is a significantly better arena to watch a game, and a better place when sold out - the handful of non-PC times we've seen a sell out in the past decade.

However, the AMP is constantly sold out, has no problem selling lots of beer to anyone of legal age very quickly, doesn't have moratoriums or "think of the children"-esque pearl clutching, has actual edible food, and puts on a significantly better show night after night. PC home games are close to a professional level experience.

Cmon - we even try to force-feed and emulate what they do organically. Like how sad the Mr Brightside mandated singalong was for this year which we were so blatantly trying to rip off their Taylor Swift singalong.

They also have WiFi (as noted) and replays.

We barely have a student section.

Let's worry about building a good basketball program again and getting people to come back to games before we try to hate on our rivals who very clearly put on a significantly better home court product than we do.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

While all true - the Ryan Center is a significantly better arena to watch a game, and a better place when sold out - the handful of non-PC times we've seen a sell out in the past decade.

However, the AMP is constantly sold out, has no problem selling lots of beer to anyone of legal age very quickly, doesn't have moratoriums or "think of the children"-esque pearl clutching, has actual edible food, and puts on a significantly better show night after night. PC home games are close to a professional level experience.

Cmon - we even try to force-feed and emulate what they do organically. Like how sad the Mr Brightside mandated singalong was for this year which we were so blatantly trying to rip off their Taylor Swift singalong.

Let's worry about building a good basketball program again and getting people to come back to games before we try to hate on our rivals who very clearly put on a significantly better home court product than we do.
The food at the AMP is shit and somehow even more overpriced than normal. The lines and concourse crowding at any time you'd actually want to go to get something are just as bad as the Ryan Center if not worse. Also that sing along was far closer to ripping off BC and Michigan than PC, right down to the song those schools use
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hard to be more cringe than a Mr Brightside singalong

Especially when you suck
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The food at the AMP is shit and somehow even more overpriced than normal. The lines and concourse crowding at any time you'd actually want to go to get something are just as bad as the Ryan Center if not worse. Also that sing along was far closer to ripping off BC and Michigan than PC, right down to the song those schools use
Every single sentence here is wrong.

Actually impressive.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I feel like you were probably looking to quote and respond to RR02 as I was talking exclusively about the venue for viewing a basketball game.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I feel like you were probably looking to quote and respond to RR02 as I was talking exclusively about the venue for viewing a basketball game.
Yeah I mean I was using your point as something I agree with. I hate being there to watch a game in terms of sight lines - but the atmosphere is way better night in/out.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Anyone who thinks a Taylor Swift singalong is cool isn’t cool. It’s as cringe as it comes. But agree the AMP is a vibe and there is no way to argue otherwise.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PC trying to make a Taylor swift song cool was absolutely embarrassing.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What song does PC use by T Swift ??
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Having to listen to a deafening “Mr. Brideside” ( “it started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this? It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss, yada yada yada”) before return of play after halftime is just as bad if not worse than the taylor swift songs at the damp. Further, the RC has gotta get rid of the “ruckus” and remove that mantra all together- was painful to see all of 35-40 students in the crowd and the rc still try to shove the ruckus image down our throats all year. Read the room
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Rhodyg wrote: 1 year ago Having to listen to a deafening “Mr. Brideside” ( “it started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this? It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss, yada yada yada”) before return of play after halftime is just as bad if not worse than the taylor swift songs at the damp. Further, the RC has gotta get rid of the “ruckus” and remove that mantra all together- was painful to see all of 35-40 students in the crowd and the rc still try to shove the ruckus image down our throats all year. Read the room
Students will show when the team doesn't suck... Why do they have to get rid of the "ruckus"?
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

What is everyone's feeling on the Red Sox making a Neil Diamond song cool?
2 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago What is everyone's feeling on the Red Sox making a Neil Diamond song cool?
It’s run its course.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Hard to be more cringe than a Mr Brightside singalong

Especially when you suck
It’s killing me.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Sweet Caroline is too perfect to change. No other song would have the same effect at Fenway, great tradition. As far as Mr Brightside, that is a college sports trend and not specific to any one school or sport and has definitely run its course. I like how WVU plays John Denver. Maybe there’s a Rhody song from the past that had meaning?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Every single sentence here is wrong.

Actually impressive.
I'm sorry, but if you like the food at the AMP wait until you try McDonald's chicken nuggets. Those will blow your mind, never mind real actual food

There's clips all over Youtube showing Boston College and Michigan signing Mr. Brightside years before PC started singing Taylor Swift 15 months ago, but you're clearly right that we're trying to rip off PC.

This board would be a lot better if you were right even half as often as you thought or were as humble as often as you are actually right, but here we have this version of you
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Sweet Caroline is too perfect to change. No other song would have the same effect at Fenway, great tradition. As far as Mr Brightside, that is a college sports trend and not specific to any one school or sport and has definitely run its course. I like how WVU plays John Denver. Maybe there’s a Rhody song from the past that had meaning?
Sweet Caroline is a terrible, creepy song that is massively played out. I don't see how Mr. Brightside has run his course, but a song written by a 28 year old man about an 8 year old stranger more than 50 years ago isn't
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago What is everyone's feeling on the Red Sox making a Neil Diamond song cool?
Who said that song has ever been cool?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I love when they play Sweet Caroline and it's like a huge celebration, while the Red Sox are behind by 8 runs. It's just weird.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

When the Sox are down 8 runs, Sweet Caroline and a beer is all you have!
2 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I've gone to plenty of games at the Dunk. During sell outs and otherwise. Never have I missed 1/4 of the game waiting to get a beer or food. The Ryan Center was barely 50% full this year and even if you got into a line early, with 1 min to go in the first half, it would take 100% of halftime to get through the 8 people in front of you.

The dunk has significantly better and more food options than URI. That's not up for debate. There are like 2 total concessions where you can get pizza or a burger, and those descriptions are tenuous at best. It's crap food. It's sub-standard.

Honestly, it would make sense to rent out those concessions to international pockets or caliente or one of the emporium spots and let them staff it and serve food.

URI is embarrassing with how they handle the concessions. It's so bad I assume it's on purpose because they want to limit the amount of beers sold. There's no way a professional arena management company could allow those lines to exist. They have one cash register in the space any other arena would have 2, and they have 2 people working in a space that should have 4-6.

I mean, I used to volunteer at Gillette in the concessions for charity, and a bunch of non-concession stand workers were able to figure out a proper system in about 20 mins. What the Ryan Center does is criminal.

As for the sing-a-long - it was pretty organic. During a run in a game 2 Decembers ago, someone decided to play a poppy song meant for little girls to love. Anyone that doesn't understand the irony or beauty about that has a huge dump in their pants. It was hilarious and awesome. And organic. And it took on a life of its own. You had 70 year old guys in the student section on the jumbotron mixing it up with the kids.

Our problem is that we sit in rooms and say "how do we get the people into it" and then everyone throws around ideas, and someone says "well that might not work because of x, y, z, or someone could get offended" and then we get left with the "well PC does this so maybe it'll be cool for us."

Then we write it into the script, and we print the script out and mandate it be followed for the whole game - not an ounce of subjectivity is allowed.

You never know what's going to happen with sports. That's why it's great. So trying to forcefeed a "tradition" to all situations is dumb. Even the blue man stuff with the lap running around - wasn't scripted, technically wasn't allowed because it was "dangerous", and it wasn't done every game. If we were getting blown out - why would we be doing the wave?

Being flexibile isn't easy to do with all the BS that goes into building a plan for gameday. But everyone else seems to figure it out...
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've gone to plenty of games at the Dunk. During sell outs and otherwise. Never have I missed 1/4 of the game waiting to get a beer or food. The Ryan Center was barely 50% full this year and even if you got into a line early, with 1 min to go in the first half, it would take 100% of halftime to get through the 8 people in front of you.

The dunk has significantly better and more food options than URI. That's not up for debate. There are like 2 total concessions where you can get pizza or a burger, and those descriptions are tenuous at best. It's crap food. It's sub-standard.

Honestly, it would make sense to rent out those concessions to international pockets or caliente or one of the emporium spots and let them staff it and serve food.

URI is embarrassing with how they handle the concessions. It's so bad I assume it's on purpose because they want to limit the amount of beers sold. There's no way a professional arena management company could allow those lines to exist. They have one cash register in the space any other arena would have 2, and they have 2 people working in a space that should have 4-6.

I mean, I used to volunteer at Gillette in the concessions for charity, and a bunch of non-concession stand workers were able to figure out a proper system in about 20 mins. What the Ryan Center does is criminal.

As for the sing-a-long - it was pretty organic. During a run in a game 2 Decembers ago, someone decided to play a poppy song meant for little girls to love. Anyone that doesn't understand the irony or beauty about that has a huge dump in their pants. It was hilarious and awesome. And organic. And it took on a life of its own. You had 70 year old guys in the student section on the jumbotron mixing it up with the kids.

Our problem is that we sit in rooms and say "how do we get the people into it" and then everyone throws around ideas, and someone says "well that might not work because of x, y, z, or someone could get offended" and then we get left with the "well PC does this so maybe it'll be cool for us."

Then we write it into the script, and we print the script out and mandate it be followed for the whole game - not an ounce of subjectivity is allowed.

You never know what's going to happen with sports. That's why it's great. So trying to forcefeed a "tradition" to all situations is dumb. Even the blue man stuff with the lap running around - wasn't scripted, technically wasn't allowed because it was "dangerous", and it wasn't done every game. If we were getting blown out - why would we be doing the wave?

Being flexibile isn't easy to do with all the BS that goes into building a plan for gameday. But everyone else seems to figure it out...
All true, but the concessions were slow and bad long before beer was being sold.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Look, I'm not saying everything is awesome at the Ryan Center, just look at my signature and the amount of pages this thread has. But this idea that everything is awesome at the Dunk is what I'm responding to, and it's not based in reality.

The food at the Dunk is objectively awful. Objectively, not subjectively. If you want to make the case that all arena/stadium food is awful, I guess you can, but that wasn't what was said. Someone said the Dunk food is good, and it's absolutely not.

Also, I don't understand holding on to this weird idea that we're trying to bite on what PC is doing with the sing along when there are literally video examples of other teams doing a sing along to the exact song we're using years before PC started doing what they're doing with a different song.

I mean most of what you said are all good ideas or points, but the ideas that the Dunk food is good and we're ripping off a PC sing along are just objectively false
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mr Brightside is a good one , I just never knew the name
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Look, I'm not saying everything is awesome at the Ryan Center, just look at my signature and the amount of pages this thread has. But this idea that everything is awesome at the Dunk is what I'm responding to, and it's not based in reality.

The food at the Dunk is objectively awful. Objectively, not subjectively. If you want to make the case that all arena/stadium food is awful, I guess you can, but that wasn't what was said. Someone said the Dunk food is good, and it's absolutely not.

Also, I don't understand holding on to this weird idea that we're trying to bite on what PC is doing with the sing along when there are literally video examples of other teams doing a sing along to the exact song we're using years before PC started doing what they're doing with a different song.

I mean most of what you said are all good ideas or points, but the ideas that the Dunk food is good and we're ripping off a PC sing along are just objectively false
So if these other teams were doing a sing along years before PC, why didn't we copy them back then when we were good with a full arena?

Why did we all of a sudden decide to have a sing along the year after PC started when it was a massive success?

We are 100% ripping off a PC sing along because of how it made their arena rock.

If they didn't have the Taylor Swift song last season, you really think we'd randomly try a sing along in a year we weren't supposed to be good and have high attendance?

It's not hard to follow.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So if these other teams were doing a sing along years before PC, why didn't we copy them back then when we were good with a full arena?

Why did we all of a sudden decide to have a sing along the year after PC started when it was a massive success?

We are 100% ripping off a PC sing along because of how it made their arena rock.

If they didn't have the Taylor Swift song last season, you really think we'd randomly try a sing along in a year we weren't supposed to be good and have high attendance?

It's not hard to follow.
Not hard to follow, yet you can't follow what's going on and are making shit up
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It's not hard to follow.
Not hard to follow, yet you can't follow what's going on and are making shit up
...what exactly did I just make up?

I posted three questions and one sentence.

Care to answer them?
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Mr Brightside is kind of an odd choice for that sort of thing.

They should have went with Katy Perry's Hot and Cold. Anyone with small children can relate to the chorus of this song.

'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up then you're down
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

With my 10,000th post, I'm going to suggest a petition be started, to allow blueman to run around the arena again...not on a scripted basis, but as subjectively appropriate (obviously). I think it would have a legit shot.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

All true, but the concessions were slow and bad long before beer was being sold.
But no one really cared then...until beer was sold. The beer drinkers are vocal, I guess...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Mr Brightside is kind of an odd choice for that sort of thing.

They should have went with Katy Perry's Hot and Cold. Anyone with small children can relate to the chorus of this song.

Or perhaps these...?:

Upside out or inside down
False alarm, the only game in town
No man's land, the only game in town
Terrible, the only game in town
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago Mr Brightside is kind of an odd choice for that sort of thing.

Or perhaps these...?:

Upside out or inside down
False alarm, the only game in town
No man's land, the only game in town
Terrible, the only game in town
An obscure GD quote, I like! Bobby's/Brent's version much better than Donna's IMO...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago PC trying to make a Taylor swift song cool was absolutely embarrassing.
I am embarrassed. Or shall I say, it is emBARONsing that I can no longer sing YOU BELONG WITH MEEEEEEE without thinking of the Smith Hill Singalong Crew.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Is this the season we get functional WiFi?
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote: 8 months ago Is this the season we get functional WiFi?
My instinct is the over
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Ryan Center get functional wifi challenge, IMPOSSIBLE. The URI Secure wifi for students, and staff somehow doesn’t work in the building either.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I find it bizarre. No other arena or venue I've been to has not had Wifi.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hilarious. Why now? There's no more incentive than there has been...
I'm with Rudder and will take the 'after' on any date provided.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago
Hilarious. Why now? There's no more incentive than there has been...
I'm with Rudder and will take the 'after' on any date provided.
I'll take the category "WAY AFTER" for $600
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Taylor Swift wrote: 8 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago PC trying to make a Taylor swift song cool was absolutely embarrassing.
I am embarrassed. Or shall I say, it is emBARONsing that I can no longer sing YOU BELONG WITH MEEEEEEE without thinking of the Smith Hill Singalong Crew.
ECR smoke out !

emBARONsing !

Love it
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

this day.jpg
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Chris is one of if not the best coverage the program gets. Hopefully he finds a new home for his content or a sponsor steps up to the plate.

https://x.com/cdisano44/status/16918432 ... -u2_Sq4FrA
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Is Chris still on the call for games?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago Is Chris still on the call for games?
Yes, he’s still a color guy.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not sure where this belongs, but, interesting look at top 25 hoops arenas. Fordham #7 (I bet they have good wi-fi)

https://www.popularmechanics.com/advent ... Ko_T37LDg_
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

The writer probably has not visited many gyms/arenas.
Been to Fordham and the only noteworthy thing about the arena itself is that there is a bar right underneath it.
Other than that,its kind of a high school facility.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You mean Popular Mechanics isn’t probably the best evaluator :D of basketball arenas ?
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago You mean Popular Mechanics isn’t probably the best evaluator :D of basketball arenas ?
Lmao the carrier dome is the worst place to watch college basketball. Potentially anywhere. If the TV cameras panned around you’d see an empty ass football stadium. It feels like a half closed mall.

That whole list is shitty Ivy arenas that elitist douche bags have to signal how worldly they are by talking about how good something is because it’s old and we don’t get it because we’re not cultured enough.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL