Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
woodennickel1
ARD

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Not that I care weather they leave or not
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Is it me or is "not additive to the league" a real slap in the face of the reigning champs? Goes to show the sorry state of their football program that the B12 schools think UConn, as a whole, isn't worthy of being in their conference.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 9 months ago Not that I care weather they leave or not
You posting this on a URI message board shows you care quite a bit lol
1 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 9 months ago
Not really, there really is not much happening this time of year happened to see the topic and saw that tweet on another board. Really could care less what they do. There is good and bad no matter what they do as far as I see.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 9 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 9 months ago
Not really, there really is not much happening this time of year happened to see the topic and saw that tweet on another board. Really could care less what they do. There is good and bad no matter what they do as far as I see.
I kind of feel the same way. The only thing I cared about if UConn left the BE is the domino effect that may have on the A10.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As someone that likes college football more than basketball, a move to the Big 12 could have resulted in better teams coming to the area and UConn has a nice enough stadium even if the tailgating scene sucks. Them staying independent means less interesting football in the area. Also would have resulted in some really interesting games in basketball one state over
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"Big 12 votes unanimously to accept Colorado as member, sources say"
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago As someone that likes college football more than basketball, a move to the Big 12 could have resulted in better teams coming to the area and UConn has a nice enough stadium even if the tailgating scene sucks. Them staying independent means less interesting football in the area. Also would have resulted in some really interesting games in basketball one state over
Used to live about 4 miles up the street from The Rent...saw Teddy Bridgewater play there on what I think was one of the coldest nights in America...good times. Sucks they didn't get in, would be cool to have big time football in the area.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago As someone that likes college football more than basketball, a move to the Big 12 could have resulted in better teams coming to the area and UConn has a nice enough stadium even if the tailgating scene sucks. Them staying independent means less interesting football in the area. Also would have resulted in some really interesting games in basketball one state over
It would've been fun from a football aspect for sure. As a CU fan (mom went there for med and grad school, Rhody isn't FBS, no conflict of interest) there was a part of me that was rooting for it with the Buffs going back home to the Big XII.

As a basketball fan though, it wouldn't have been as much fun being from the Northeast and having those matchups.

Football matters way more in the Big XII and UConn would've brought the conference down. It's already hard enough to get to the CFP, even with the expansion.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I think you misinterpret this, since in my opinion it says more about Big 12 posturing than a UConn take down. Stung by the departure of Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 acted impulsively and took on new members in Houston, Cincy, UCF and BYU, schools that do not match the prestige of the departing members. It may have been a better idea to wait and see if the inept management of the PAC-12 would open the door to more of its members opting out. That appears to be an approaching reality as Colorado is near a decision to return to the Big 12.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It is now official, Colorado after 10 years in the PAC-12 will return to the Big 12 conference for the 2024-25 season.
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

Yes I would not be surprised if Utah and both Arizona state and university jump to the Big 12 in the near future. I can see the leftovers merging with the Mountain West who I would think take the Pac-12 name over as it as better brand than the mountain west.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bartoburger wrote: 9 months ago Yes I would not be surprised if Utah and both Arizona state and university jump to the Big 12 in the near future. I can see the leftovers merging with the Mountain West who I would think take the Pac-12 name over as it as better brand than the mountain west.
Yeah...unless there's a Mountain East....no need for a Mountain West distinction...just call it Mountain, and this could be their theme song (more cowbell, please):

0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Colorado move just shows how important benjamins are to college athletics and dispels the allure of hanging out with elite institutions. What other explanation could there be given the visual of a Colorado alum packing up his RV and kids to visit sunny Silicon Valley or a game as opposed to packing that same RV to journey to Ames, Iowa for a corn dog. That even a mediocre football program like Colorado's for the last ten years can jeopardize a conference's viability is also telling.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago The Colorado move just shows how important benjamins are to college athletics and dispels the allure of hanging out with elite institutions. What other explanation could there be given the visual of a Colorado alum packing up his RV and kids to visit sunny Silicon Valley or a game as opposed to packing that same RV to journey to Ames, Iowa for a corn dog. That even a mediocre football program like Colorado's for the last ten years can jeopardize a conference's viability is also telling.
Yes and no. I don't completely disagree with most of this, but I don't think Colorado jeopardized the Pac 12, that was UCLA and USC leaving and the commissioner not able to get a media rights deal in front of the schools. If I'm a school I'm making sure I have a seat at the table first, last, and everytime in between. That's more important than where at the table you're sitting
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago The Colorado move just shows how important benjamins are to college athletics and dispels the allure of hanging out with elite institutions. What other explanation could there be given the visual of a Colorado alum packing up his RV and kids to visit sunny Silicon Valley or a game as opposed to packing that same RV to journey to Ames, Iowa for a corn dog. That even a mediocre football program like Colorado's for the last ten years can jeopardize a conference's viability is also telling.
Yes and no. I don't completely disagree with most of this, but I don't think Colorado jeopardized the Pac 12, that was UCLA and USC leaving and the commissioner not able to get a media rights deal in front of the schools. If I'm a school I'm making sure I have a seat at the table first, last, and everytime in between. That's more important than where at the table you're sitting
Yes, USC and UCLA drove the first stake into the PAC -12 heart, but the lack of a prompt response by their commissioner set-up the Colorado move to be the trigger that opens the floodgates. My point here is that sometimes the intrinsic value of your school/program may not be enough because the prevailing circumstances are more important. This is why when you look at winners and losers in the realignment saga, you see some great schools being left out while some weaker schools are in winning positions.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PAC 12 in danger of losing Arizona and very possibly more as it's looking more and more like the conference is in big trouble.

This Apple TV proposal is in play and the Media rights still undecided.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-12-pac-1 ... 35014.html
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh can’t stand college sports moving to Apple TV, guess I won’t be watching too much Pac 12
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago PAC 12 in danger of losing Arizona and very possibly more as it's looking more and more like the conference is in big trouble.

This Apple TV proposal is in play and the Media rights still undecided.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-12-pac-1 ... 35014.html
This is unfortunate. Much college sports history from the PAC. I remember watch PAC bb and fb when I was growing up.

It is unfortunate that the leadership dropped the ball the past several years. Shouldn’t assume that everything stays the same - change is inevitable.

What programs are out there now that could add any value in order for the PAC to be a top conference if more teams leave? SDSU, Boise St, UNLV, Utah St won’t do it.

Is some alliance with the potentially weakened ACC stop the slide for both? I don’t think that will do it either.

It’s interesting watching the jockeying and movement of the chess pieces.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 8 months ago Ugh can’t stand college sports moving to Apple TV, guess I won’t be watching too much Pac 12
All I wanna know about, related to that is, "where will we get our Walton"?
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

The real question for D1 New England football is .....where will UConn and UMass end up when the conference drama ends. My guess is UConn to the BIG 12 and UMass to the American.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago
reef wrote: 8 months ago Ugh can’t stand college sports moving to Apple TV, guess I won’t be watching too much Pac 12
All I wanna know about, related to that is, "where will we get our Walton"?
If you get a chance watch the 30 for 30 on Bill walton 4 part series was spectacular
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Where all teams could end up if PAC 12 disbands

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/predicting ... 05170.html
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think UConn finds it way to the ACC eventually. If enough defect from there it is possible that even lowly UMass could make it there too.

On its face that seems bad for football. However, having UConn, Syracuse, BC and UMass in the same league may just bring some juice back to New England college football. Plus it makes for a really good basketball conference, bringing back the Syracuse/UConn games and having traditional rivals UMass/BC in the same conference.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rhodylaw wrote: 8 months ago I think UConn finds it way to the ACC eventually. If enough defect from there it is possible that even lowly UMass could make it there too.

On its face that seems bad for football. However, having UConn, Syracuse, BC and UMass in the same league may just bring some juice back to New England college football. Plus it makes for a really good basketball conference, bringing back the Syracuse/UConn games and having traditional rivals UMass/BC in the same conference.
There’s a 0% chance Uconn ends up in the ACC. Would kill their basketball program and ACC is losing all its juice as a football conference as we speak
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago
rhodylaw wrote: 8 months ago I think UConn finds it way to the ACC eventually. If enough defect from there it is possible that even lowly UMass could make it there too.

There’s a 0% chance Uconn ends up in the ACC. Would kill their basketball program and ACC is losing all its juice as a football conference as we speak
Don't over-rate UConn football. It sucks and is best fit with the ACC. Tough to say that joining Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc would kill the UConn basketball program. They would be in the upper half of a strong basketball conference that actually makes sense for them geographically.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 8 months ago

Don't over-rate UConn football. It sucks and is best fit with the ACC. Tough to say that joining Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc would kill the UConn basketball program. They would be in the upper half of a strong basketball conference that actually makes sense for them geographically.
Agree with you Rhodylaw. My money is in UCONN joining the ACC. Big money in the P5 comes from FBS Football. UCONN football would get an immediate boost in recruiting of freshmen and especially transfers. Would be a huge boost for New England Football as you say.
UMASS will end up in a FBS conference as well with all this reorganization taking place.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’m of the belief that FBS football becomes 1A. All schools without big time football will become 1AA. This will filter down to basketball. Two different basketball national champions.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramulous wrote: 8 months ago I’m of the belief that FBS football becomes 1A. All schools without big time football will become 1AA. This will filter down to basketball. Two different basketball national champions.
I wouldn't totally dismiss that happening in the future.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The only counter to that belief would be that cash rules everything. And the greatest cash cow for NCAA is March Madness. And the greatest source of general interest in the tourney is due to the cinderella stories and the drama associated with it. It will not draw in the same mass attention if it solely becomes a tournament for the biggest schools in the country.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago

Agree with you Rhodylaw. My money is in UCONN joining the ACC. Big money in the P5 comes from FBS Football. UCONN football would get an immediate boost in recruiting of freshmen and especially transfers. Would be a huge boost for New England Football as you say.
UMASS will end up in a FBS conference as well with all this reorganization taking place.
If football drives the bus in these conferences, why would the ACC add UCONN? The league already has plenty of basketball shine to it.

UCONN adds no football value. Sure, if you're UCONN you want to join. But why would the ACC and its member institutions want to add UCONN? It's not a huge market, not a great football recruiting area, and has zero draw to its football program. You think Clemson fans would be fired up to see UCONN coming to Death Valley?

Sorry, I'm just not seeing it.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 8 months ago

If football drives the bus in these conferences, why would the ACC add UCONN? The league already has plenty of basketball shine to it.

UCONN adds no football value. Sure, if you're UCONN you want to join. But why would the ACC and its member institutions want to add UCONN? It's not a huge market, not a great football recruiting area, and has zero draw to its football program. You think Clemson fans would be fired up to see UCONN coming to Death Valley?

Big 10 and SEC negotiating $70 to $80 million per school desks whereas Big East is at $4 million hoping to negotiate to $7 million per school. Football is a difference maker.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

So I don't disagree with that - but why was UConn to the Big12 ever even a potential thing? Big12 football was probably better than the ACC until Texas and Oklahoma left. They should be looking for better football schools than UConn or the crap they added with UCF.

Clemson fans are not real fired up about much in the ACC at this time other than consistently dominating the conference. ACC football outside of Clemson and FSU has been really mediocre. But that honestly does not matter too much. You will not compete with the SEC or Big 10 on football. Period. The ACC is fighting with the Big 12 for third best football conference and has the potential to be the best basketball conference by adding a more traditional rival to Syracuse.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

And even if they wanted to, ACC comes with major risk. Every day there are stories about FSU, Clemson, etc. looking to leave, and with them the football money. There is a hierarchy in the football landscape and ACC is a distant 4th. Only thing holding that conference together is it's GOR, and when that goes (or possibly even before), there will likely be a wave of defections. The remaining teams will make up a horrendous football conference with some basketball-potential, but nothing special. I would hesitate on joining the ACC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 8 months ago I’m of the belief that FBS football becomes 1A. All schools without big time football will become 1AA. This will filter down to basketball. Two different basketball national champions.
Agree. Been trending that way.

Football already has FBS and FCS

In fact FBS has the P5 and then the group of 5 Conferences

Basketball will eventually follow a similar path. There will be schools that do not want to get involved with NIL "Matador" Clubs like Texas Tech has already has, in fact already some Conferences do not participate with the FCS Football Playoffs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 8 months ago Big 12 Commish really wants UCONN

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn/ ... 274399.php
The members not so much.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago
ramster wrote: 8 months ago Big 12 Commish really wants UCONN

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn/ ... 274399.php
The members not so much.
I think the commish and UCONN are in the minority here. They're the only ones who are trying to sell this. I don't think the rest are too fond of going to Morgantown already. Adding a stop in Storrs is not a high priority of Big 12 presidents and coaches.

The reality is the Eastern schools missed the bus on this back in the early 90's when Penn State left for the Big Ten. They could've easily formed an all-sports conference back then:

Syracuse
WVU
Va Tech
Temple
BC
Pitt
Cincy
Rutgers
PSU

But basketball got in the way. And I realize the Rutgers and PSU may have gotten swallowed by the Big Ten eventually. But this conference formation was there for the taking in 1990. And who knows, UCONN, and UMASS perhaps (even Buffalo) would've gone to 1A football sooner so that they could join this party.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting couple of days upcoming

Now looks like Arizona could be gone
Dominoes continue to fall?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... regon-news
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The big mistake that the PAC-12 made was to fight the loss of USC and, especially UCLA, on political grounds. They lost precious time and perspective on what should have been total focus on a future without those two schools. This was similar to the action that the Connecticut AG did in suing the ACC when BC and Syracuse departed for the ACC years ago. This "political" approach cost UConn as it became anathema to the ACC whereas a less adversarial approach may have avoided the limbo period UConn has experienced since that lawsuit.

The key of realignment saga is the emergence of two super conferences - the Big Ten and the SEC. This development put the other three P5 conferences on the road to instability. Of the three, the Big 12 has taken quick actions to insure its survival and may even have dreams of becoming the third super conference. The central location of the Big 12 gave them the ability to expand in all directions; an advantage not available to the PAC-12 and the ACC with their coastal boundaries. So the PAC-12 now faces a diminished future and the ACC may not be far behind.

As I mentioned in another post, realignment has produced a mixed bag on "winners" and "losers". More later on this aspect and the eventual domino effect of realignment on the A-10 and URI.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The folks in Waco, Provo and Ames have something against Morgantown? I’d take it any day over Lubbock, Stillwater or Manhattan. Arizona is joining, and they could add UConn and ASU… That would make 16.
None of those 3 schools can make up for losing the ‘Horns, and the football group is definitely not gonna top the SEC or Big Ten. But it’s a ridiculous hoops league.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rhodyrudder wrote: 8 months ago The folks in Waco, Provo and Ames have something against Morgantown? I’d take it any day over Lubbock, Stillwater or Manhattan. Arizona is joining, and they could add UConn and ASU… That would make 16.
None of those 3 schools can make up for losing the ‘Horns, and the football group is definitely not gonna top the SEC or Big Ten. But it’s a ridiculous hoops league.
The loos of Texas and the Sooners was also not offset at all by the addition of UCF, Cincy, Houston, and BYU as a football conference. But it is a great BB conference and that aspect will only be enhanced by the addition of Arizona and UConn.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

rhodyrudder wrote: 8 months ago The folks in Waco, Provo and Ames have something against Morgantown? I’d take it any day over Lubbock, Stillwater or Manhattan. Arizona is joining, and they could add UConn and ASU… That would make 16.
The fact that Waco, TX, Manhattan, KS and Ames, IA (a short drive from Des Moines) are already in the Big 12 geographic footprint makes it a 10x better trip than flying 3 hours to Morgantown. Provo has 100,000+ population vs. Morgantown which is about 30,000. That's pretty podunk, if you ask me.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I read on the UConn board that FSU is negotiating with JP Morgan to raise $’s for a move out of the ACC. Smart move? Desperation? A bluff aimed at the ACC to get concessions?

We shall see.

ETA: the UConn board referenced Sportico.com for breaking the FSU news.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What will the PAC 12 get to replace USC UCLA Oregon Washington
and Colorado ??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Was just listening to Andy Katz. Regarding the NCAAT, he made the point that with certain conferences expanding, it will be difficult to avoid 1st round tourney games with teams from the same conference.

He speculated the BIG could get 12 bids on selection Sunday in the future.

Another sucky unintended consequence of realignment unless they expand the tourney field.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 8 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Is it finally time for the NCAA to require teams to at least have a 50% league record in the regular season to make March Madness??
2 x