2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 9 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago

Probably about the same with either schedule.
I do like the New Hampshire road games at Syracuse and at Iowa State. I'd probably lean towards the UNH schedule.
Syracuse is terrible. And rebuilding. Give me Washington state or miss st on a neutral floor. Q1/Q2.

Iowa State is good, but Northwestern on a neutral floor is also good. And a more winnable Q1 game close to campus.

We’re at PC as well. And at college of charleston.

That’s another 2 Q2s that could easily be Q1.

Everyone pooping on this schedule is missing the fact that it represents potentially one of the highest quantities Q1 OOC we’ve ever had.

Our schedule. All day every day.
I'm not pooping on our schedule, just simply answering the question that 208 asked
UNH and URI are both in conferences that will likely have no at-large bids, just like last year, so the OOC schedule is for building for the Conference Tournament. So I liked the road games for UNH for building resolve, including the game at URI.
Should we really be a place where we expect the A-10 to not have a single at large team?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago

Syracuse is terrible. And rebuilding. Give me Washington state or miss st on a neutral floor. Q1/Q2.

Iowa State is good, but Northwestern on a neutral floor is also good. And a more winnable Q1 game close to campus.

Everyone pooping on this schedule is missing the fact that it represents potentially one of the highest quantities Q1 OOC we’ve ever had.

I'm not pooping on our schedule, just simply answering the question that 208 asked
UNH and URI are both in conferences that will likely have no at-large bids, just like last year, so the OOC schedule is for building for the Conference Tournament. So I liked the road games for UNH for building resolve, including the game at URI.
Should we really be a place where we expect the A-10 to not have a single at large team?
No, because before too long, we all expect Archie to regularly contend for at-large bids at worst.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago

No, because before too long, we all expect Archie to regularly contend for at-large bids at worst.
Dayton with Holmes back should have enough to contend for an at-large. Brought in a good freshman class and transfers. If Smith and Elvis are healthy they ought to be pretty damn good.

Ya never know with Anthony Grant though...

Would be nice if they got it together
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am really hoping that the A10 can get back to a 3 bid league or at least a solid 2 with one to two teams solidly in bubble conversation annually.

If the conference is unable to do that then I can envision Archie becoming frustrated eventually and start to look to move on - as well as the other top A10 coaches.

I think coaching is still important and that good coaches want to coach in NCAAT games. If the programs in the A10 can’t provide that opportunity it will not attract or keep good coaches.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 9 months ago I am really hoping that the A10 can get back to a 3 bid league or at least a solid 2 with one to two teams solidly in bubble conversation annually.

If the conference is unable to do that then I can envision Archie becoming frustrated eventually and start to look to move on - as well as the other top A10 coaches.

I think coaching is still important and that good coaches want to coach in NCAAT games. If the programs in the A10 can’t provide that opportunity it will not attract or keep good coaches.
If the member programs and their head coaches fall short than it is on them, and their future opportunities will be limited.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dayton with Holmes back should have enough to contend for an at-large. Brought in a good freshman class and transfers. If Smith and Elvis are healthy they ought to be pretty damn good.

Ya never know with Anthony Grant though...

Would be nice if they got it together
PRT, I do agree with you on Dayton and a few others this season.

I still feel good about the overall quality of the head coaches in the A10.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes. Last year wasn't an anomaly, it was on the horizon for the last few years. The last few years we were on the verge of being a one bid league and we got lucky that the one team in the conference who could be an at large didn't take care of business in the conference tournament. Also, there's been nothing this off-season to suggest we should expect more than one bid out of this conference
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago

Yes. Last year wasn't an anomaly, it was on the horizon for the last few years. The last few years we were on the verge of being a one bid league and we got lucky that the one team in the conference who could be an at large didn't take care of business in the conference tournament. Also, there's been nothing this off-season to suggest we should expect more than one bid out of this conference
I disagree.
Prior to the beginning of last season many insiders/analysts including Rothstein had SLU, Dayton, and VCU all contending for NCAAT bids.
It is on Dayton and SLU that they disappointed and underperformed last season.
Too early with teams still filling out their rosters to make any serious predictions right now.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah, but Anthony Grant and Travis Ford are the definition of coaches that do less with more, that's been their resume for the better part of the last decade.

That doesn't even get into how worthless most preseason prognostications are. These guys have 50-75 teams in the hunt every year for a lot less tournament spots.

The results have been on a downward trend for the last few years. Real results, not clickbait predictions. Last year was several years in the making.

I'd also argue that teams that are still filling out their rosters now will not be adding players that will make a big difference in 2023-24. This was not an off-season that inspires hope for the conference getting back to the good old days
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago Yeah, but Anthony Grant and Travis Ford are the definition of coaches that do less with more, that's been their resume for the better part of the last decade.

That doesn't even get into how worthless most preseason prognostications are. These guys have 50-75 teams in the hunt every year for a lot less tournament spots.

The results have been on a downward trend for the last few years. Real results, not clickbait predictions. Last year was several years in the making.

I'd also argue that teams that are still filling out their rosters now will not be adding players that will make a big difference in 2023-24. This was not an off-season that inspires hope for the conference getting back to the good old days
Injuries may have also played a part but hate using that as an excuse.
Anthony Grant did impress in 2019-2020, would have been a #1 seed, but that was 3 years ago.
I know the SLU fans are growing tired of Ford.
Still the top tier A10 teams have the opportunity but if they fall short, ultimately the blame falls only on the head coaches.
On a positive note, I like many of the young coaches in the league and feel Ryan Odom was a slam dunk for VCU.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago Yeah, but Anthony Grant and Travis Ford are the definition of coaches that do less with more, that's been their resume for the better part of the last decade.

Anthony Grant did impress in 2019-2020, would have been a #1 seed, but that was 3 years ago.
Still the top tier A10 teams have the opportunity but if they fall short, ultimately the blame falls only on the head coaches.
On a positive note, I like many of the young coaches in the league and feel Ryan Odom was a slam dunk for VCU.
I think it's fair to argue that Grant likely has a tournament team last year if they actually had guards.

They definitely had an inordinate amount of injury issues in the backcourt.

Still Grant is largely an underachiever.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think it's fair to argue that Grant likely has a tournament team last year if they actually had guards.

They definitely had an inordinate amount of injury issues in the backcourt.

Still Grant is largely an underachiever.
Still PRT and 02, my thinking is that the A10 had the opportunity to get multi-bids and some of the rosters had talented enough players. But the blame of falling short falls squarely on the shoulders of the HC (as you both also pointed out), not the conference itself.

With all that said, I am still optimistic about our conference, with several of the traditional lower tiered programs upping their game. Also, I am excited about some of our young coaches Valentine, Urgo, Caputo, Skinn, Matt McKillop, Archie Miller is still only 44.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UPDATED

College Sports Madness has once again started to announce its annual top 144 teams with a school named each day. Rhody is not expected to be part of the list (only six members of the 15 team A-10 will make the top 144 this season) but several probable opponents have been.

COLLEGE SPORTS MADNESS TOP 144

#135 Wagner Seahawks
Conference Rank: #1 Northeast Conference
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21854

# 130 Brown Bears
Conference Rank: #3 Ivy League
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21864

#129 Milwaukee Panthers
Conference Rank: #2 Horizon
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21865

#126 Saint Joseph’s Hawks
Conference Rank: #6 Atlantic 10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21868

#112 St. Bonaventure Bonnies
Conference Rank: #5 Atlantic-10
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/21896
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Behind Wagner, Brown, Milwaukee. Sad.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Can’t exactly complain seeing they have had to completely rebuild the roster and no one can completely determine how the team will gel this coming season. Regardless there is no where to go but up and preseason polls are basically meaningless. This is bulletin board material and how they compete during this season is the true measure of how Miller and the team come together and how we can interpret the programs future. Overall this is not a good look for the A-10 but again I will go back to my previous statements and apply them for all the A-10 teams.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago
I was hoping for the game to be played outside- Winter Classic style
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram wrote: 9 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago
I was hoping for the game to be played outside- Winter Classic style
I thought the same thing when I read it.

Game will be played "inside" the Ryan Center :roll:
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would imagine the Northeastern game is an even home and home series like URI has with fellow CAA member Charleston. I would expect that URI will play at Matthews Arena in Boston in a future season. Not necessarily a bad thing for URI to play in Boston. The Huskies draw few fans and have no particular real home-court advantage.
Last edited by RF1 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RF1 wrote: 9 months ago UPDATED

College Sports Madness has once again started to announce its annual top 144 teams with a school named each day. Rhody is not expected to be part of the list (only six members of the 15 team A-10 will make the top 144 this season) but several probable opponents have been.

#135 Wagner Seahawks

# 130 Brown Bears

#129 Milwaukee Panthers

The A10 is nothing special this year. It's weak. Which sucks, but it's true..

We have a prime opportunity to make some noise if our guys are clicking, as well as people say. I heard the complete opposite before the season last year. Last year all the buzz was about Bray, Ant, Foumena, and that our guys had upside but weren't ready... This year it seems like we have chemistry and more immediate impact players... Even looking at the videos, this team is working their asses off, and they look very strong and athletic. I'm starting to have more hope for this season than I had initially.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago

#135 Wagner Seahawks

# 130 Brown Bears

#129 Milwaukee Panthers

The A10 is nothing special this year. It's weak. Which sucks, but it's true..

We have a prime opportunity to make some noise if our guys are clicking, as well as people say. I heard the complete opposite before the season last year. Last year all the buzz was about Bray, Ant, Foumena, and that our guys had upside but weren't ready... This year it seems like we have chemistry and more immediate impact players... Even looking at the videos, this team is working their asses off, and they look very strong and athletic. I'm starting to have more hope for this season than I had initially.
This team hasn’t played a game together. Can’t say they Have chemistry quite yet.

Now do they have more talent? Absolutely.

I expect some growing pains at the beginning of the season.

We may win those early season games based on sheer talent alone, but it still may be tough to watch.

However, unlike last year, I expect this team to be much much better at the end of season.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

College Sports Madness has once again started to announce its annual top 144 teams with a school named each day. Rhody is not expected to be part of the list (only six members of the 15 team A-10 will make the top 144 this season)
As I have said previously, the A10 is a minor league conference. There are no longer mid-major conferences. Our record will improve as a member of a minor league conference. Don't be fooled. Still, we need to be good and hope that we are poached.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

72 this post imo is just BS . The A 10 has had a couple of down years , yes . That can be said of most of the so called P 5 at times in the fairly recent past . What has been going on in the NCAA Tournament in recent years has shown that the so called P 5 schools are not that far above the level that
exists in many of what you call the minor leagues . In fact IMO the also rans in college basketball have gotten much more competitive over the years .
There is a reason that P5 schools will not play on the road at most of the non P5 schools . That reason is all about perception . right now the P5 schools
are able to maintain the perception that they are far superior to teams in the so called minor leagues . They know that playing on the road and losing
a significant amount of games would shatter that myth . So they maintain the myth by playing only home games or an occasional neutral court game .
This way way they rack up wins instead of risking the inevitable occasional road loss that would shock their fans and supporters. Just a couple of seasons ago Dayton would have been a number 1 seed in the dance and was ranked # 3 at the end of the season before the tournament was cancelled . That shows what a couple of nice pickups like Obie Toppin and Jalen Crutcher can do for a team from "The Minor Leagues " . UCONN won last year , but they
weren't exactly invincible before going on their end of season run . I think they lost 6 of 8 at one point . They lost to Seton Hall and ST. Johns .
St. Johns was 18-15 and Seton Hall was 17-16 and lost to Siena . It is very possible for many of the A10 teams to build a powerhouse quickly if their
coaches are able to identify and sign some undervalued players like Toppin and Crutcher . Really nobody was interested in either of them coming out of high School . Crutcher had a verbal to Tennessee State until their coach left to take over at UMASS and failed to contact Jalen at all . So Anthony Grant
took a chance on him and also toppin. Dayton was kind of down before they got these guys . Little breaks can change everything .
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

luke wrote: 9 months ago 72 this post imo is just BS . The A 10 has had a couple of down years , yes . That can be said of most of the so called P 5 at times in the fairly recent past . What has been going on in the NCAA Tournament in recent years has shown that the so called P 5 schools are not that far above the level that
exists in many of what you call the minor leagues . In fact IMO the also rans in college basketball have gotten much more competitive over the years .
There is a reason that P5 schools will not play on the road at most of the non P5 schools . That reason is all about perception . right now the P5 schools
are able to maintain the perception that they are far superior to teams in the so called minor leagues . They know that playing on the road and losing
a significant amount of games would shatter that myth . So they maintain the myth by playing only home games or an occasional neutral court game .
This way way they rack up wins instead of risking the inevitable occasional road loss that would shock their fans and supporters. Just a couple of seasons ago Dayton would have been a number 1 seed in the dance and was ranked # 3 at the end of the season before the tournament was cancelled . That shows what a couple of nice pickups like Obie Toppin and Jalen Crutcher can do for a team from "The Minor Leagues " . UCONN won last year , but they
weren't exactly invincible before going on their end of season run . I think they lost 6 of 8 at one point . They lost to Seton Hall and ST. Johns .
St. Johns was 18-15 and Seton Hall was 17-16 and lost to Siena . It is very possible for many of the A10 teams to build a powerhouse quickly if their
coaches are able to identify and sign some undervalued players like Toppin and Crutcher . Really nobody was interested in either of them coming out of high School . Crutcher had a verbal to Tennessee State until their coach left to take over at UMASS and failed to contact Jalen at all . So Anthony Grant
took a chance on him and also toppin. Dayton was kind of down before they got these guys . Little breaks can change everything .
And to add to this:
In spite of the NCAA's love affair with the P5, especially the B10, we had 2 mid-majors in the 2023 Final Four.
The B10 hasn't had a winning NCAAT record in the last 3 years and only 1 Elite Eight (2021) appearance with 26 bids combined.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe 2000 Mich St is the last B10 team to win the title ?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

luke wrote: 9 months ago 72 this post imo is just BS . The A 10 has had a couple of down years , yes . That can be said of most of the so called P 5 at times in the fairly recent past . What has been going on in the NCAA Tournament in recent years has shown that the so called P 5 schools are not that far above the level that
And to add to this:
In spite of the NCAA's love affair with the P5, especially the B10, we had 2 mid-majors in the 2023 Final Four.
The B10 hasn't had a winning NCAAT record in the last 3 years and only 1 Elite Eight (2021) appearance with 26 bids combined.
I'm just going to stop at 26 bids in three years...and call it good.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago
And to add to this:
I'm just going to stop at 26 bids in three years...and call it good.
But, but, but the P5 are the greatest ever and we should all be inspired to beat them. LOL. 26 teams in the last three years is about $12M in NCAA credits a year. The game is being played. But not on the court.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The reason has very little to do with perception. The top 5 teams in the Big Ten played between 14-17 Q1 games and 9-10 Q2 games. The top 5 teams in the B12 played between 20-25 Q1 games and 4-7 Q2 games. What need is there for them to go play another game on the road against an unpredictable opponent? They play tough games at home, tough games on the road, tough games on a neutral court. You guys have always ignored this fact, focusing solely on the OOC like P5 schools owe you a favor. Fact is when they play you (which yes, may often be on a neutral court), they kick your ass. Last year the P6 was 13-4 against you on neutral courts. That's not the full story though. These are games your conference lost at home - Jacksonville, SIU-Edwardsville, Marshall, New Mexico St, UC San Diego, American, Charlotte, Northeastern, Fairleigh Dickinson, Florida Gulf Coast, Wichita St, Drexel, Lafayette, Towson, UMASS-Lowell, Quinnipiac, Texas St, Brown, DePaul. Those are all 75+ home games per KenPom. Compare that to the BE - Nebraska, American, South Carolina, or the Big Ten - Eastern Illinois, Central Michigan, Wake Forest, DePaul. Do P6 teams not play cupcakes at home? So you don't win neutral chances you get, you take on a lot of bad losses, and the issue is that P6 teams don't want to go play a 24th/25th Q1/Q2 game at your house while you struggle to play 5? I'm just a person whose always of the vision, clean up your house before you want to go blaming others. You go .500 in marquee neutral games, you greatly cut back your bad losses, maybe then I'll sit there and blame lack of scheduling opportunities for your misfortune, or maybe you fix those things, and the results come anyway...
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Okay so you are going to use the worst season the A 10 has ever had as an example . what you miss id that the P 5 teams have numerous home
games to pick up those Q 1 and Q 2 wins which is where their rankings come from in the first place . My point is that is what creates the perception that they are superior . now am I saying these P5 teams are not somewhat better than say the A 10 ? No, I am not saying that the a 10 is just as good
overall . The P5 leagues are stronger overall and therefore the conference schedule is tougher . However , many times the best of the A 10 such as
the top three or four teams would have been very competitive in any of the P 5 conferences . But because these teams virtually never get to play a home game against the top three teams in any P 5 league , the NET system is rigged and a self fulfilling result . A10 teams are punished for losing road games while P5 teams are not . Top tier A10 teams in most years could probably put up a .500 conference record in any of the P5 leagues
which gets them in the dance almost automatically . Every team can have a bad game or even a bad streak , but P5 teams don't have to worry if
they do because their leagues are considered far superior competition instead of the truth which is generally their overall competition is not far superior
but only somewhat better . The recent results in the NCAA tournament bear this out . Are the best team in some of the P5 leagues better than the very best in the a10 ? Yes , usually , but not always . Dayton was the # 3 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY as I mentioned in 2020 . And we weren't only talking about
the A10 in the original discussion . How do you account for the run by St. Peters and Loyola Chicago and others who barely make the field ? Even
Lasalle made it to the Sweet 16 only a few seasons ago . If the p5 are so superior let them prove it on the road against URI and VCU and Dayton
and the best of any of the lesser heralded conferences . Even your beloved Friars don't really like playing in the Ryan Center because they know when URI is good the Friars have a very tough time winning . At least the Friars have the courage to show up there . i don't see them visiting Dayton ever . By the way , how did they do the last time they played Dayton in the NCAA tournament ? Oh , that's right they lost . It IS all about perception otherwise Ohio
State would play Dayton every year on a home and home basis ? Why won't they ? I once asked the Marquette AD when were they going to play Dayton
on a home and home ? His response " Not anytime soon". rjsuperfly66 imagine if the Yankees could decide to play only home games against the
Red Sox ? Even if the teams were equally talented in a year the results probably wouldn't reflect that . and if this went on for 20 years everyone would think the Yankees were superior when in fact that wasn't the case . And do the same with the other powers in the MLB and they would all appear to be
far superior to the teams that had to play road games . and in college basketball the home court advantage is much larger than any other sport and
the major factor in determining who wins when the teams are even close in talent, and when they are not the winner is pretty much a given .
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

luke wrote: 9 months ago Okay so you are going to use the worst season the A 10 has ever had as an example . what you miss id that the P 5 teams have numerous home
games to pick up those Q 1 and Q 2 wins which is where their rankings come from in the first place . My point is that is what creates the perception that they are superior . now am I saying these P5 teams are not somewhat better than say the A 10 ? No, I am not saying that the a 10 is just as good
overall . The P5 leagues are stronger overall and therefore the conference schedule is tougher . However , many times the best of the A 10 such as
the top three or four teams would have been very competitive in any of the P 5 conferences . But because these teams virtually never get to play a home game against the top three teams in any P 5 league , the NET system is rigged and a self fulfilling result . A10 teams are punished for losing road games while P5 teams are not . Top tier A10 teams in most years could probably put up a .500 conference record in any of the P5 leagues
which gets them in the dance almost automatically . Every team can have a bad game or even a bad streak , but P5 teams don't have to worry if
they do because their leagues are considered far superior competition instead of the truth which is generally their overall competition is not far superior
but only somewhat better . The recent results in the NCAA tournament bear this out . Are the best team in some of the P5 leagues better than the very best in the a10 ? Yes , usually , but not always . Dayton was the # 3 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY as I mentioned in 2020 . And we weren't only talking about
the A10 in the original discussion . How do you account for the run by St. Peters and Loyola Chicago and others who barely make the field ? Even
Lasalle made it to the Sweet 16 only a few seasons ago . If the p5 are so superior let them prove it on the road against URI and VCU and Dayton
and the best of any of the lesser heralded conferences . Even your beloved Friars don't really like playing in the Ryan Center because they know when URI is good the Friars have a very tough time winning . At least the Friars have the courage to show up there . i don't see them visiting Dayton ever . By the way , how did they do the last time they played Dayton in the NCAA tournament ? Oh , that's right they lost . It IS all about perception otherwise Ohio
State would play Dayton every year on a home and home basis ? Why won't they ? I once asked the Marquette AD when were they going to play Dayton
on a home and home ? His response " Not anytime soon". rjsuperfly66 imagine if the Yankees could decide to play only home games against the
Red Sox ? Even if the teams were equally talented in a year the results probably wouldn't reflect that . and if this went on for 20 years everyone would think the Yankees were superior when in fact that wasn't the case . And do the same with the other powers in the MLB and they would all appear to be
far superior to the teams that had to play road games . and in college basketball the home court advantage is much larger than any other sport and
the major factor in determining who wins when the teams are even close in talent, and when they are not the winner is pretty much a given .
You are missing the point. Yes, P5 conference teams have an advantage during conference play because many games are Q1/Q2. However, those are not numbers that are simply given. You call it a rigged system, I call it mostly earned. They kick your ass on neutral court, they don't take bad losses, and often they beat other good teams, home and road. Again, you as a conference went 4-13 on a neutral court against P6 teams and as a conference had 19 bad losses (just at home). It's not a one year sample, it's pretty similar over the last 5.

You lay out all these facts about tournament production, which are rather indisputable. However, one must admit there is surely a difference in getting hot for a few weeks over sustaining conference play for 3 months.

Lastly, and I've been listing it as an issue with you guys for years, you can't compare college basketball scheduling to any other sport. It's about building the best resume. And when you are playing 25 Q1/Q2 games out of 31 games, there is not much pressure to take random road games against lesser conferences. You need to stop sitting there saying "It's because they are scared of us," and actually tell your conference mates they are all responsible for perception. If most A10 teams take care of neutral court games and avoid bad losses like their P5 counterparts, they too will carry high NETs into conference play which means more Q1/Q2 games for all.

Because at the end of the day, there is that advantage when a BE team (take the 19-20 Friars) can suck during OOC, have minimal good wins and a ton of bad losses, and accumulate a ton of good wins during conference play and be comfortably in the tournament. Why? Good/Great wins and minimal bad losses. Several teams winning marquee games and coming into conference play with great metrics and records. Their metrics wouldn't be good if they didn't beat the teams on their schedule.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC will host Milwaukee this season on November 11th. Milwaukee owes URI a return game and it has been assumed it will be played this year but nothing has yet been announced. Would think Milwaukee would not want multiple costly trips to RI. Rhody however has home games on 11/6 (CCSU), 11/9 (Fairfield), and 11/14 (Wagner) which would not allow much room around that date.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Indiana U Buy games for this season. 9 games IU is paying teams to come play at their home court

• vs. Indianapolis (exhibition) on Oct. 30, 2023 - $15K
• vs. Marian (exhibition) on Nov. 3, 2023 - $30K
• vs. Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 7, 2023 - $105K
• vs. Army on Nov. 12, 2023 - $90K
• vs. Wright State on Nov. 16, 2023 - unknown
• vs. Harvard in Indianapolis on Nov. 26, 2023 - $95K
• vs. Morehead State on Dec. 19, 2023 - $95K
• vs. North Alabama on Dec. 21, 2023 - $95K
• vs. Kennesaw State on Dec. 29, 2023 - $95K

https://www.insidethehall.com/2023/07/2 ... xt-season/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 9 months ago Indiana U Buy games for this season. 9 games IU is paying teams to come play at their home court

That is gross that a team spends some $.75M for all these home buy games.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

University of Indianapolis is about an hour away and it's an exhibition game, same for Marian.

A. As exhibitions I'm not even sure those qualify as buy games.
B. How much should they be getting for an hour trip to play an exhibition? Feels like they're both getting more than enough.
C. The fact that all 6 of the remaining teams that we have monetary information for are clustered within $25,000 of each other and four have the exact same amount makes me believe that's the basic going rate give or take.
D. What would our buy games look like? Probably pretty damn similar
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Makes one wonder. Why would P5 teams buy games, like most of their non con, against horrible teams at home? Could it be that by demolishing bad teams at home gets you into conference play with a great NET ranking? Me thinks so.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 9 months ago Makes one wonder. Why would P5 teams buy games, like most of their non con, against horrible teams at home? Could it be that by demolishing bad teams at home gets you into conference play with a great NET ranking? Me thinks so.
Blueram, here is an older article that may help to explain.

"Both of those games were guarantee, or “buy,” games that are essential for power conference schools that want to add to the portfolio of home games that they can put in season ticket packages. Plus, if the games go as expected for the home team, they’re games the host school can typically pencil in as wins.'
https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/ ... buy-games/
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 9 months ago Makes one wonder. Why would P5 teams buy games, like most of their non con, against horrible teams at home? Could it be that by demolishing bad teams at home gets you into conference play with a great NET ranking? Me thinks so.

"Both of those games were guarantee, or “buy,” games that are essential for power conference schools that want to add to the portfolio of home games that they can put in season ticket packages. Plus, if the games go as expected for the home team, they’re games the host school can typically pencil in as wins.'
That's not what I'm getting at. The P5 have the perception they are the best teams. So they play the worst teams non con and destroy them. Then they enter conference play with high NET rankings. I think the A10 should do the same.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 9 months ago

That's not what I'm getting at. The P5 have the perception they are the best teams. So they play the worst teams non con and destroy them. Then they enter conference play with high NET rankings. I think the A10 should do the same.
I am not sure that destroying bad teams at home helps your NET.
They actually omitted margin of victory in NET rankings a couple of years ago.

"With the changes announced in May 2020, the NET will no longer use winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and scoring margin."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... g%20margin.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Last year the 14 Big Ten teams played 36 Top 50 opponents during OOC out of max 154 games (23.4%). The 15 A10 teams played 17 Top 50 opponents during OOC out of max 195 games (8.7%). But yeah, the Big Tens high NET is just by pounding low majors during conference play...
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 9 months ago Last year the 14 Big Ten teams played 36 Top 50 opponents during OOC out of max 154 games (23.4%). The 15 A10 teams played 17 Top 50 opponents during OOC out of max 195 games (8.7%). But yeah, the Big Tens high NET is just by pounding low majors during conference play...
So rounding it out, each team played 2 Top 50 opponents OOC. Of course, they weren't Top 50 until the NET came out in December.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 9 months ago
ramster wrote: 9 months ago Indiana U Buy games for this season. 9 games IU is paying teams to come play at their home court

That is gross that a team spends some $.75M for all these home buy games.
Let's get some...only spend more dough and get something besides tomato cans, like:

- Syracuse $200K
- UConn $300K
- South Carolina $170K

Offset partially by:
GCU (pays Rhody $200K to play here)

Now we're talking sellouts and enthusiasm. And before folks say, "lol, Syracuse sux and eff'd up their coaching sitch". all true, but...enthusiastic sellout nonetheless.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 9 months ago Last year the 14 Big Ten teams played 36 Top 50 opponents during OOC out of max 154 games (23.4%). The 15 A10 teams played 17 Top 50 opponents during OOC out of max 195 games (8.7%). But yeah, the Big Tens high NET is just by pounding low majors during conference play...
Not surprised. The top 50 teams are nearly all from the top conferences and are programs that very infrequently play decent opponents outside the cartel. It is a RIGGED system despite your protestations.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 9 months ago
Not surprised. The top 50 teams are nearly all from the top conferences and are programs that very infrequently play decent opponents outside the cartel. It is a RIGGED system despite your protestations.
But they still play good programs - whether within the P5 or not.

It's not like they're ducking good teams and then playing conference opponents. They all play/beat good teams and then are good come conference time.

Again. Whether or not you get the opportunities isn't the problem. You have to capitalize on them. The A10 went 1-16 in those games last season.

You could keep the same scheduling, and if the conference went 12-5 in those games we'd have been a 3 bid league again.

We are not as far off as everyone wants to say - just win the games. If you get 17 or 7, win the games, that takes care of itself.

I don't blame a P5 program not wanting to schedule teams that can't be depended on to win those games and keep their NET high.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 9 months ago
Battle of the little states.

Kinda crazy we have hardly ever played them. Not in my lifetime at least.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Maybe a link with the football teams being in the same conference?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• Delaware vs URI
  • Saint Joseph's vs. Iona
  • Towson vs. Bryant
Nice trio of games at UBS Arena.

Rhody Vault may make an appearance since Bryant is playing
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

• Delaware vs URI
  • Towson vs. Bryant

This a new game announced ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 9 months ago

• Delaware vs URI
  • Towson vs. Bryant

This a new game announced ??
Yes. Saturday December 16 at UBS Arena. Part of a 3 game tripleheader
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Twelve of a possible allowed 13 OOC game opponents are now confirmed with dates.

URI OOC Schedule
Monday 11/6 Central Connecticut
Thursday 11/9 Fairfield
Tuesday 11/14 Wagner
Saturday 11/18 Hall of Fame Tip-Off, Mohegan Sun vs Northwestern
Sunday 11/19 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Mohegan Sun vs Mississippi State or Washington State
Sunday 11/26 Yale
Saturday 12/2 at Providence
Wednesday 12/6 Brown
Sunday 12/10 at Charleston
Saturday 12/16 vs Delaware (UBS Arena - Belmont, NY)
Thursday 12/21 New Hampshire
Saturday 12/30 Northeastern

It has been assumed by many that Milwaukee may make its return trip to URI this season (scheduled game was postponed last season). Milwaukee is coming to RI to play PC on November 11th. No word yet that it will play URI who already has other games scheduled in and around the Panthers Providence trip.
Last edited by RF1 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x