2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Has any media outlet posted our (or the rest of the A10) expected starting 5?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 10 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 10 months ago

Because he is a senior. Will be his 4th full year in college.

The extra covid year doesn't change that.
I believe it's also the 4th year for some other players who are listed as juniors. Last year was Ish Leggett's 3rd year and he was listed as a sophomore.
Kortright played 3 years at Quinnipiac, listed as a junior. Green played 1 year at Hofstra, 2 years at LA. Tech, listed as a junior. House played 3 years at High Point, listed as a senior.
House is now listed as a junior on the official roster.
https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago

I believe it's also the 4th year for some other players who are listed as juniors. Last year was Ish Leggett's 3rd year and he was listed as a sophomore.
Kortright played 3 years at Quinnipiac, listed as a junior. Green played 1 year at Hofstra, 2 years at LA. Tech, listed as a junior. House played 3 years at High Point, listed as a senior.
House is now listed as a junior on the official roster.
https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Hmmmm.....makes me wonder which 2 players (minimum) will not be here next year.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SandorClegane wrote: 9 months ago Has any media outlet posted our (or the rest of the A10) expected starting 5?
While projecting a starting 5 is a fun offseason activity on a message board, I can’t imagine a sportswriter doing it so early. Maybe September.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 9 months ago
SandorClegane wrote: 9 months ago Has any media outlet posted our (or the rest of the A10) expected starting 5?
While projecting a starting 5 is a fun offseason activity on a message board, I can’t imagine a sportswriter doing it so early. Maybe September.
Jon Rothstein projects Starting 5 for all of his Top 45 Teams and he adjusts rankings and starters as additions/deletions occur - and lots of changes in the new transfer era.

Teams in the Top 45 we will/could play:

#29. Mississippi State
Projected Starting 5:
G Shakeel Moore
G Dashawn Davis
F D.J. Jeffries
F Cameron Matthews
C Tolu Smith

#34. Northwestern
Projected Starting 5
G Boo Buie
G Ty Berry
G Brooks Barnhizer
F Nick Martinelli
C Matthew Nicholson

#39. Providence
Projected Starting 5:
G Jayden Pierre
G Corey Floyd Jr.
G Devin Carter
F Bryce Hopkins
F Josh Oduro

There are No A10 Teams in the Top 45

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/r ... gxsj31wtqg
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I trust Chris over Rothstein on this one.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What's the deal on Green's eligibility? I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but why isn't he eligible now?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago What's the deal on Green's eligibility? I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but why isn't he eligible now?
This is his second transfer so he needs a waiver or he has to sit a year. Played at Hofstra 2020-21, then Louisiana Tech the last season and a half. Announced he was transferring in the middle of 2022-23
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago What's the deal on Green's eligibility? I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but why isn't he eligible now?
This is his second transfer so he needs a waiver or he has to sit a year. Played at Hofstra 2020-21, then Louisiana Tech the last season and a half. Announced he was transferring in the middle of 2022-23
The good news is that he's done everything right - academics, timing, etc. It's just the fact that he's on his 2nd transfer. Hope and pray. Legit, Green takes us from middle of the pack without him to top 4. I said what I said.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago

Yeah Jonny Rothstein is on my crap list right now
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I agree with Chris on Zek.

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If Green doesn't get a waiver I really hope that doesn't become the excuse IF the team ends up underachieving. I don't want to hear any form of "well if Green was eligible..." or "just wait until Green is eligible next year...".
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 9 months ago If Green doesn't get a waiver I really hope that doesn't become the excuse IF the team ends up underachieving. I don't want to hear any form of "well if Green was eligible..." or "just wait until Green is eligible next year...".
Any chance he could be an 'available second semester' guy?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago
adam914 wrote: 9 months ago If Green doesn't get a waiver I really hope that doesn't become the excuse IF the team ends up underachieving. I don't want to hear any form of "well if Green was eligible..." or "just wait until Green is eligible next year...".
Probably not because he didn't enroll until after the season.

I think the only probable A10 player to get a slam dunk waiver is (PF) Woody Newton who transferred to GM from Oklahoma State. He is returning close to home to be near his family since the recent death of his father.

The others may have a more difficult time but holding out hope for Green.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think the only probable A10 player to get a slam dunk waiver is (PF) Woody Newton who transferred to GM from Oklahoma State. He is returning close to home to be near his family since the recent death of his father.

Why would Green get a Waiver? What is he using for justification? I thought they were not allowed anymore. If they start granting Waivers for no reason then the whole thing will unravel again just like before.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 9 months ago

Why would Green get a Waiver? What is he using for justification? I thought they were not allowed anymore. If they start granting Waivers for no reason then the whole thing will unravel again just like before.
I have no idea on what grounds.
But they are trying to get an approval for him.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

For me, It depends on where we finish. If we finish in last place and suck that's no excuse and I'll start to have serious doubts about Archie. But if we are in a lot of games and finish in the middle of the pack I think it's completely fair to say Green would have made us better. Losing a starter hurts and I think Green is our starting 4 if eligible. Similar to Bilau last year. I think if we had a better starting center we would have won more games...Some guys fit coaches' systems really well and it sounds like Green does that.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago
For me, It depends on where we finish. If we finish in last place and suck that's no excuse and I'll start to have serious doubts about Archie. But if we are in a lot of games and finish in the middle of the pack I think it's completely fair to say Green would have made us better. Losing a starter hurts and I think Green is our starting 4 if eligible. Similar to Bilau last year. I think if we had a better starting center we would have won more games...Some guys fit coaches' systems really well and it sounds like Green does that.
But the point on Green is he is not supposed to be eligible.
Knowing he was not supposed to be eligible the Coaching Staff should have considered that in the Rotation for this upcoming season - I'd expect that they did.

No excuses now. This is year 2. 6th season since our last NCAA Bid.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I agree, to me middle of the pack is not necessarily underachieving this season. A lot will depend on how we look in the process.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Knowing he was not supposed to be eligible the Coaching Staff should have considered that in the Rotation for this upcoming season - I'd expect that they did.

Don’t you think they did?

And let’s not fall into the trap some of the mouthbreathers here fell into where “Dan Hurley hasn’t got us to the dance in almost 20 years fire him now.”

It’s been 1 year of disappointment. Turn the page.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Is there any kind of official date by which people will know? Or, is it just hand-wringing time until the season starts and he's either there or he isn't?
"I'm at Game 1, and he's not suited up...guess he didn't get a waiver..."
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is there any kind of official date by which people will know? Or, is it just hand-wringing time until the season starts and he's either there or he isn't?
"I'm at Game 1, and he's not suited up...guess he didn't get a waiver..."
The NCAA never seems to be in much of a hurry making these decisions.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago

And let’s not fall into the trap some of the mouthbreathers here fell into where “Dan Hurley hasn’t got us to the dance in almost 20 years fire him now.”

Of course they did. Of course the coaching staff knows what's likely to happen with Green. They know the likelihood of Green playing this year or having to wait til next year.

And based in that likelihood the staff has taken measures accordingly.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah pretty sure the staff feels pretty good about his chances to get a waiver.

Only played in 6 games last year before an injury.

Will the NCAA really make him sit out for basically two years?

Would be some bs if they did.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago

No. He declared for the Portal on January 9, 2023. Left the team. Not an injury reported that I can find.
55EC494E-DC38-44D2-8653-7D012EEF0D73.png
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI will be better this year because the competition will be worse. A10 scheduling not only gets better teams more quality games, it also gives poorer teams more winnable games. Mediocrity means very little. This is year 1 for Archie as I said all last year.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Regarding Green, it would appear that the staff wanted him regardless of whether or not he gets an immediate play waiver. So, I think they feel comfortable either way at that spot for this upcoming season, of course if he does become eligible that is an added bonus.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exactly - It's a bonus. If he doesn't get the waiver then it shouldn't be used as an excuse for why we didn't achieve to expectations.
Taking transfers comes with risk. Freeman was a risk last year and inadequate back up planning in case Freeman didn't work out or got injured led to problems.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 9 months ago URI will be better this year because the competition will be worse. A10 scheduling not only gets better teams more quality games, it also gives poorer teams more winnable games. Mediocrity means very little. This is year 1 for Archie as I said all last year.
If this was 50 years ago you’d be a prime study target for the Ladd school.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

OK...I confess...despite living less than 10 miles from the site...never heard of Ladd school (lame excuse - closed 20 years before I got here?).
So, I looked it up. NOT a good way to start a Saturday morning...just sayin'
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 9 months ago Exactly - It's a bonus. If he doesn't get the waiver then it shouldn't be used as an excuse for why we didn't achieve to expectations.
Taking transfers comes with risk. Freeman was a risk last year and inadequate back up planning in case Freeman didn't work out or got injured led to problems.
Also holding a scholarship open last season for Ant, was a gamble the staff felt was worth the risk.
Obviously, it didn't work out well, but then again, I don't necessarily fault them for taking that chance.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 9 months ago Exactly - It's a bonus. If he doesn't get the waiver then it shouldn't be used as an excuse for why we didn't achieve to expectations.
Also holding a scholarship open last season for Ant, was a gamble the staff felt was worth the risk.
Obviously, it didn't work out well, but then again, I don't necessarily fault them for taking that chance.
I'm reading recently where big name coaches are keeping 2 and even 3 roster positions open.

Whatever the staff does the staff does. Bottom line is beat out the other 14 teams in the A10 for the AQ. No right or wrong - just figure out a way to get the AQ.

No awards for 2nd place and definitely no awards for 15th place.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I'm reading recently where big name coaches are keeping 2 and even 3 roster positions open.

Whatever the staff does the staff does. Bottom line is beat out the other 14 teams in the A10 for the AQ. No right or wrong - just figure out a way to get the AQ.

It does work both ways, especially now with many coaches over-signing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Basketball comes down to having a star player or two, and a 7 deep roster.
Players 8-14 don't matter much except for practice time. I'd rather keep 2-3 slots open in this transfer crazy environment to grab potential stars/starters.
But end of day strategy is to win the AQ. Doing the same strategy as the other 14 A10 HC's is just going with the crowd. Glad to see he ditched the building for the long term 3-4 years out thing. Didn't take long to figure that out - a good thing.
Get old and stay old as many top HC's have been saying last 2 years.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

You sign the full amount until you find those 2-3 stars. We have not yet. You need to put out a wide net and get a little lucky.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Players 8-14 don't matter much except for practice time. I'd rather keep 2-3 slots open in this transfer crazy environment to grab potential stars/starters.
But end of day strategy is to win the AQ. Doing the same strategy as the other 14 A10 HC's is just going with the crowd. Glad to see he ditched the building for the long term 3-4 years out thing. Didn't take long to figure that out - a good thing.
I always would prefer them to fill out all the scholarship spots on a yearly basis. Even over-sign for the following season like Archie did if you find those special recruits. There will always be some turnover for whatever reason to add on in the post-season.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Green was injured. He talked about it in a few interviews. He said it took a toll on him mentally because he couldn't play for months. I believe he had a foot or ankle injury and some sort of hand injury. I don't remember the details.

Also, idk why a new narrative is being created here that people will make an excuse if Green doesn't play. A few of us have brought up that Green is making an impression at practice, which is good, but now we are discussing that we can't use him as an excuse. How about we be a little happy that we have a player that seems to be a good get?

It's still on Archie to figure this out with or without Green. I expect a middle-of-the-pack season in the A10, and anything less than that is a disappointment. Green is a piece. He's not a star. This isn't like losing EC, where losing him drastically hurts our chances. I think he could help us win a few more games. That's it. But sometimes that's the difference between 4th and 8th.

I'm excited because I heard from a handful of people that Green and the team look much better than last year, and Disano was not one of those people. So to hear him say that as well gets me pumped. I can't wait to prove the haters wrong that are putting us in last place.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Also, idk why a new narrative is being created here that people will make an excuse if Green doesn't play.
It probably has something to do with the fact that URI Men's Basketball fans are notorious for singling out one player or one event every_single_season that led to disappointing numbers. Last year was Ant Harris never showed up or was eligible.

In direct contrast to that, Bray self destructing and being escorted off the team could not be anticipated, so I consider that one a legitimate excuse. Not to mention Archie did everything in his power to try to advocate for the kid, right up to the point of the behind the bench incident at the away game.

I don't think Green is a real difference maker that should be pointed to if the team underachieves without him. He's a "nice" player that we got on the rebound when we didn't get another player the same week on the recruiting trail. He likely would not be a starter, but a decent bench player, like he has been pretty much his entire career elsewhere.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I always would prefer them to fill out all the scholarship spots on a yearly basis. Even over-sign for the following season like Archie did if you find those special recruits. There will always be some turnover for whatever reason to add on in the post-season.
Yeah. That seems the general consensus here on KB. Fill every roster slot. Then relax.
I'd keep at least one, probably 2 or 3 based on how players ccn and do enter the portal even in July, August and September. Always have room at the Inn!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 9 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Also, idk why a new narrative is being created here that people will make an excuse if Green doesn't play.
It probably has something to do with the fact that URI Men's Basketball fans are notorious for singling out one player or one event every_single_season that led to disappointing numbers. Last year was Ant Harris never showed up or was eligible.

In direct contrast to that, Bray self destructing and being escorted off the team could not be anticipated, so I consider that one a legitimate excuse. Not to mention Archie did everything in his power to try to advocate for the kid, right up to the point of the behind the bench incident at the away game.

I don't think Green is a real difference maker that should be pointed to if the team underachieves without him. He's a "nice" player that we got on the rebound when we didn't get another player the same week on the recruiting trail. He likely would not be a starter, but a decent bench player, like he has been pretty much his entire career elsewhere.
Sure, but I do not see that with Green. If anyone it's Zek that seems to have the highest expectations from the fans.

Green is being brought up as a player that has stood out at practice. What are we supposed to pretend that we haven't heard good things about him? People see the team, and when guys are making an impact, people talk about it. No one is saying he's a star. No one is saying he's a big difference-maker. I don't think anyone thinks that.

Bray had the talent to be one of the best guards in the A10. Ant came from one of the best programs in the country, where he did have a role when healthy. I understand why people were higher on those two. I'm not seeing those types of expectations with Green.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago

No. He declared for the Portal on January 9, 2023. Left the team. Not an injury reported that I can find.

55EC494E-DC38-44D2-8653-7D012EEF0D73.png
Okay well I don't know where I heard that he was hurt.

Okay now it doesn't seem near as likely.

Still, that would mean he would basically have to sit out two years.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Sure, but I do not see that with Green. If anyone it's Zek that seems to have the highest expectations from the fans.

Green is being brought up as a player that has stood out at practice. What are we supposed to pretend that we haven't heard good things about him? People see the team, and when guys are making an impact, people talk about it. No one is saying he's a star. No one is saying he's a big difference-maker. I don't think anyone thinks that.

Bray had the talent to be one of the best guards in the A10. Ant came from one of the best programs in the country, where he did have a role when healthy. I understand why people were higher on those two. I'm not seeing those types of expectations with Green.
Ah, I see what you are saying. So, you probably won't be using Green as an excuse, but there are people on here that might.

I don't have a problem with the team having a down year, as much as I have a problem with the annual "Mea Culpa" article in the Projo every year complete with an itemized bulleted list of hand wringing of why the team isn't doing well, all excuses. I always chalked that up to having coaches like Baron and Cox, and all of their many apologists. I would hope we don't need to go that route with coaches the caliber of Hurley and Miller.

That being said, if House goes down to injury very early on, feel free to use that as an excuse. That would be a legitimate excuse.

Green not being eligible when there was very little chance of him being eligible in the first place and he was literally the last person we signed from the portal and we already have a track record on him of what he can and cannot do a mile long? Not so much.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Sure, but I do not see that with Green. If anyone it's Zek that seems to have the highest expectations from the fans.

Ah, I see what you are saying. So, you probably won't be using Green as an excuse, but there are people on here that might.

I don't have a problem with the team having a down year, as much as I have a problem with the annual "Mea Culpa" article in the Projo every year complete with an itemized bulleted list of hand wringing of why the team isn't doing well, all excuses. I always chalked that up to having coaches like Baron and Cox, and all of their many apologists. I would hope we don't need to go that route with coaches the caliber of Hurley and Miller.

That being said, if House goes down to injury very early on, feel free to use that as an excuse. That would be a legitimate excuse.

Green not being eligible when there was very little chance of him being eligible in the first place and he was literally the last person we signed from the portal and we already have a track record on him of what he can and cannot do a mile long? Not so much.
I hope people don’t use Green as an excuse. We should have higher expectations for this staff. Yes losing House would be like losing Ish last year.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Getting the Manual of Acceptable Excuses updated early is good work. We can't be halfway through the year, find ourselves sucking, and then just pasting on excuses all willy nilly that haven't been properly vetted and accepted prior to the start of the season. Good to clarify this now. :lol:
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hell, Freeman might still be here if it was just the stuff behind the bench and he could get in line. I think it was more the social media antics after the game re-tweeting stuff about him transferring that really did him in
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago

Hell, Freeman might still be here if it was just the stuff behind the bench and he could get in line. I think it was more the social media antics after the game re-tweeting stuff about him transferring that really did him in
That....is a huge "and"...and, it was never going to happen. Gone...pretty much to never be heard from again....great potential at one point, but I believe that ship has sailed, too.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Who is the lefty?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

David Green
0 x