Phantom #Gorhody TBT team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Phantom #Gorhody TBT team

Unread post by ramster »

Delroy's Team won their 2nd round game and will now play Nasty Nati at 7pm Monday July 24.
Nasty Nati is a team of Cincinnati alumni
2 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

SGreenwell wrote: 9 months ago
rhodysurf wrote: 9 months ago I love URI but this is the most URI thing to ever happen lol
I guess, but I'm also kind of confused - how much is the entry fee? As I understand it, you get a million bucks for winning, and most of our alum entering were varying degrees of "professional basketball player." I'm kind of surprised that TBT puts you in the bracket and advertises your team if you haven't put up the cash ahead of time. I was under the impression that the team was asking for donations to defray the cost of things like travel, not that the effort would collapse if they didn't hit a certain number.
I read entry fee is $1,000 per player. Not an insignificant amount but bailing at the last second makes the school look bad. Pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t let these guys in the tourney next year. Apparently there is a waiting list so we probably move to the back of the line.
Last edited by Ram96 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ram96 wrote: 9 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 9 months ago
rhodysurf wrote: 9 months ago I love URI but this is the most URI thing to ever happen lol
I guess, but I'm also kind of confused - how much is the entry fee? As I understand it, you get a million bucks for winning, and most of our alum entering were varying degrees of "professional basketball player." I'm kind of surprised that TBT puts you in the bracket and advertises your team if you haven't put up the cash ahead of time. I was under the impression that the team was asking for donations to defray the cost of things like travel, not that the effort would collapse if they didn't hit a certain number.
I read entry fee is $1,000 per player. Not an insignificant amount but bailing at the last second makes the school look bad. Pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t let these guys in the tourney next year. Apparently there is a waiting list so we probably move to the back of the line.
Opportunity missed
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Commonwealth (UMASS) lost to Virginia 79-73 tonight
URI was to play UMASS
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

After UMass had a 10 point lead early in the 2nd half.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

I'd like to know what really happened. Was it players who committed but then ended up not being able to make it? Or was it really the entry fee not being paid. Someone mentioned the fee not being paid but I didn't see that announced anywhere.
1 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodylocal wrote: 9 months ago I'd like to know what really happened. Was it players who committed but then ended up not being able to make it? Or was it really the entry fee not being paid. Someone mentioned the fee not being paid but I didn't see that announced anywhere.
There was no entry fee needed.

Without knowing anything - what it looks like is that a former manager made a bunch of promises to people - players and TBT - that he had zero idea how to follow through on.

My guess is that they figured "it would get done" and then didn't really do enough in a timely manner to actually get anything done.

Just look at the reported players' social media accounts and see what promotion was being done. There should be more questions than answers.

When or did they try to get in touch with URI? When or did they try to get in touch with Rhody Excellence? When or did they try to get in touch with a coach? - they named TJ Buchanan the coach EIGHT days before the first game.

The biggest question we should be asking - outside of a hastily created GoFundMe roughly a week before they needed to start spending money - WHAT DID THEY DO TO FUNDRAISE!?

When or did they try to book hotels for the team in southern RI in the summer? Did they set ANYTHING up for fan engagement with the team? Outside of a single interview with Rhody Vault, did they attempt to reach out to any URI beat writers to drum up support?

What did they promise the players? Did they promise them all expenses paid and weren't able to make due? Did they secure airfare for the guys? Outside of a tweet that said "we'll be in town, where should we host our team dinner this saturday?" did they try to set ANYTHING up for the team?

It's embarrassing. It's like when your toddler says "i want to make dinner" but they don't know how to drive or go to store or spend money or turn on a stove or cook food.

Hopefully if we can do this again, adults around the program will go and cook the dinner.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

We should be playing Boeheim's Army tonight after a huge upset of Blue Collar U.

I'm still mad.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago We should be playing Boeheim's Army tonight after a huge upset of Blue Collar U.

I'm still mad.

Right there with you! I watched the start of that Virginia Dream massacre last night and was thinking what could have been.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No doubt can’t believe we were deprived of watching the ex Rhody alums
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Think Husky fans are wondering if this will really happen?

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/uconn ... 257417.php
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Gofundme taken down. No refunds.

What a bucket of shit these kids are.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago Gofundme taken down. No refunds.

Did they say why refunds wouldn't be given?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I donated. Requested a refund via IG and they requested my Venmo yesterday so I am now waiting on a refund. I do think they intend to give any of the small amount raised back to the donors.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago

I donated. Requested a refund via IG and they requested my Venmo yesterday so I am now waiting on a refund. I do think they intend to give any of the small amount raised back to the donors.
I would hope so. I can’t imagine TBT would allow them to put a team in again so I’m not sure why I’d leave my money with them.

I doubt they’re organized or financially stable enough to keep this money in an untouched escrow account, so I request the same.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago

I would hope so. I can’t imagine TBT would allow them to put a team in again so I’m not sure why I’d leave my money with them.

I doubt they’re organized or financially stable enough to keep this money in an untouched escrow account, so I request the same.
We made a significant donation directly to the team. I received my full refund by VENMO yesterday.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

LoveThoseRams wrote: 8 months ago

We made a significant donation directly to the team. I received my full refund by VENMO yesterday.
Glad to hear. I'm getting my venmo as well.

Good to see them doing the right thing - better late than never.

I just hope they get some self-awareness and step aside in the future. Not that I can imagine TBT is going to let a GM who fielded a team and bailed 72 hours before tip off field a team again.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 8 months ago

Glad to hear. I'm getting my venmo as well.

Good to see them doing the right thing - better late than never.

I just hope they get some self-awareness and step aside in the future. Not that I can imagine TBT is going to let a GM who fielded a team and bailed 72 hours before tip off field a team again.
What's the process in getting the refund? Last week I had contacted GoFundMe directly and they said it was too late to get a refund from them and I had to contact the organizer directly. Do you guys have a method to do that?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I used their IG channel to reach out. They engaged quickly and I got my refund yesterday.
0 x