Phantom #Gorhody TBT team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: Phantom #Gorhody TBT team

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Who’s gonna pay that bill at the oyster bar this weekend??
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Damn that would be a real shame if they backed out this last minute. I got my ass ready to be on the couch at 9pm Monday. I hope they can figure it out. They mentioned they were going to do a fundraising event at a restaurant and have a meet and greet when this was first planned. Clearly the event never happened. Seems a bit lazy to just start a gofundme as the only source of funding.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Very embarrassing.

I watch this tournament every summer and cannot recall a team withdrawing a few days before the tournament.

So typical of URI basketball.
1 x
Go Rhody
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Found out late yesterday afternoon they were short cash for their entry fee, this was totally avoidable. Very poor management.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I love URI but this is the most URI thing to ever happen lol
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 9 months ago Very embarrassing.

I watch this tournament every summer and cannot recall a team withdrawing a few days before the tournament.

OK let's think about this logically.

Did URI basketball or URI promote this?

Or was it the creation of a former manager who's twitter wreaks of ill-prepared snakeoil salesman?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodysurf wrote: 9 months ago I love URI but this is the most URI thing to ever happen lol
I guess, but I'm also kind of confused - how much is the entry fee? As I understand it, you get a million bucks for winning, and most of our alum entering were varying degrees of "professional basketball player." I'm kind of surprised that TBT puts you in the bracket and advertises your team if you haven't put up the cash ahead of time. I was under the impression that the team was asking for donations to defray the cost of things like travel, not that the effort would collapse if they didn't hit a certain number.
4 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Truly the “Rhody Way”.
And what about the donations??
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago

Or was it the creation of a former manager who's twitter wreaks of ill-prepared snakeoil salesman?
Oh 100% on the manger, but (obviously) all involved are affiliated with URI basketball.

Just a tough look.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Effing A
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

SGreenwell wrote: 9 months ago
rhodysurf wrote: 9 months ago I love URI but this is the most URI thing to ever happen lol
I guess, but I'm also kind of confused - how much is the entry fee? As I understand it, you get a million bucks for winning, and most of our alum entering were varying degrees of "professional basketball player." I'm kind of surprised that TBT puts you in the bracket and advertises your team if you haven't put up the cash ahead of time. I was under the impression that the team was asking for donations to defray the cost of things like travel, not that the effort would collapse if they didn't hit a certain number.
Yea there seems to be flaws on both ends here.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Sounds like the old North Providence summer "league" -- you don't know who's playing until you see who shows up.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SmartyBarrett wrote: 9 months ago

Without knowing anything - this is a pretty easy smokescreen to see through.

First, let's not pretend this was some URI venture like Arch or Thorr are sitting there saying "let's get our alums into this tourney." If it was, I doubt we're in a situation where the ENTRY FEE TO THE TOURNAMENT WE WERE ENTERING WASN'T PAID.EDIT: in all of my research (as this is now consuming my life) I can't find a place where TBT has an entry fee. Even the Mass Collective's site only talks about the basics - nothing about an entry fee. They have sponsors and a TV contract. Basically, I'm thinking that we just didn't pull any money together or do anything serious. It sounds like all you need for TBT is a team. So basically the team was in the field and God only knows what Jarrelle promised the players that he couldn't follow through on, which led to dropping out an embarrassing 3 days before the game.

Dude can GTFO with this take. "My one fear."

Bro why was this a fear? If you didn't pay the entry fee why the hell didn't you articulate that? You put up a half-assed GoFundMe like a 2 weeks before the first game but made it sound like the team was set to play. YOU HAD ALMOST 3 MONTHS TO PREPARE.

Why did you not put together some sort of substantial fundraising effort? Why did you not try to engage with the fanbase? Why didn't you try to put together some sort of meet and greet with old players on this team and sold it for like $200 per person? You could've set it up at one of the dozens of places that URI boosters have ties to, set it for this week, had the players come in to practice and have that event as a send off. You don't think you could get 100 fans? 200 fans? That's $20-40k without breaking a sweat. There's your entry fee and then some. AND I JUST THOUGHT THAT UP. THIS ISN'T HARD.

On the flip side.. Did the players actually commit? Because I find it hard pressed to believe that each one of these pros couldn't have come up with the money to travel for a shot a million. Jarrelle was manager for these kids and he's tweeting about looking for Hassan Martin...does that not raise any red flags? Did Jarrelle or Owen promise them things they had no idea about? Did they say the players were covered when they weren't? Did they do any actual fundraising? Why all of a sudden are you seeing Jarelle Reischelle and some random non-Rhody guys on the roster?

The GoFundMe is a different issue. The GoFundMe where the managers of the team were able to manage a COMBINED $450 from 4 people. The GoFundMe was created July 10th. The team was announced on Instagram May 19th. I am assuming that they either realized they couldn't pay for any of the hotels or travel, or worse didn't even book them.

WHAT THE F*^%K WERE THESE CHILDREN DOING FOR THE LAST 2 GOD DAMN MONTHS!?

Also, re: the GoFundMe, let's take a look here:

"We are looking for assistance in covering the cost of lodging, travel and meals for our staff and players while participating in the TBT."

What in the absolute 7th grade articulation of a proposal is this?

How about some specifics? Something like:

The cost of TBT is $30-40k to get a team to practice, travel, stay, and eat. We're endeavoring to raise funding from private donations as this isn't an NCAA sanctioned event so URI can't financially support us. We cannot participate if we do not have the money to get our guys back from around the world to lil Rhody.

If Rhody takes the title home in Philly this summer, all GoFundMe donations will be repaid in full!

There will be other costs associated with TBT beyond practice like hotels, transportation, and food at the tournament - and we look forward to putting on some meet and greets with your favorite alums to help support these endeavors throughout the spring.

Thanks for your help, Go Rhody!

IDK if Owen and Jarrelle have day jobs or what, but I really hope so. Because if this was all they've been working on for the past couple of months it's shameful and embarrassing.

There's 0.0% chance URI could've been involved here when you look at how piss-poor everything has been run and the timeline of everything.

The worst is that URI's name is going to get dragged for this. Fuck these kids. Our alums and fans deserve better.

I'm also really pissed I wasted money donating.
Last edited by Blue Man 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm guessing this is probably why many teams have NBA players and/or influential/wealthy alumni involved. Now, why would the TBT ever want to give them a chance again?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yes, this is the most Rhody bs ever

What a damn bummer dude. I've been wanting them to do this for years and of course this happens 🙄🙄🙄

Yeah 10 grand entry fee and then all the travel fees are expensive

But does every team have fans and sponsors pay for everything? They got a grand already. Clearly nobody wanted to fork up a DIME of their own money to make a million. Several of them make well over 100 grand a year playing overseas. Maybe they didn't like Jerrell?

Now ain't nobody giving money in the future

So much for doing something really cool and memorable!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The more I think about this the more I get angry. Potentially burned URI alums' chance at having a team in this tournament with this BS.

I know this kid says "a whole year to prepare" but considering what he did in 2-3 months, I'm not sure he could run this with 10 years to prepare. Let's hope he steps aside and lets more organized people handle it.

Here's the GoFundMe Refund page:

https://www.gofundme.com/contact/suggest/donor
Last edited by Blue Man 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 9 months ago I'm guessing this is probably why many teams have NBA players and/or influential/wealthy alumni involved. Now, why would the TBT ever want to give them a chance again?
We had two former NBA players on the team.

Pretty inexcusable in my opinion.

There’s 3 days left until our game was supposed to be played. Bracket already set.

How the hell is that allowed to happen if the entry fee isn’t paid?
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago Yes, this is the most Rhody bs ever

What a damn bummer dude. I've been wanting them to do this for years and of course this happens 🙄🙄🙄

Yeah 10 grand entry fee and then all the travel fees are expensive

But does every team have fans and sponsors pay for everything? They got a grand already. Clearly nobody wanted to fork up a DIME of their own money to make a million. Several of them make well over 100 grand a year playing overseas. Maybe they didn't like Jerrell?

Now ain't nobody giving money in the future

So much for doing something really cool and memorable!
Did the players even know? Was this even real? The game is in THREE DAYS - they didn't have ANYTHING set up?

I'm starting to think we got scammed and these kids stole the money of those of us dumb enough to donate.

If there's ever a chance for a URI team in the future - these 2 have to be far away from it.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm assuming that since Jerrell is saying this will happen in 2024, there will be no refunds to those who donated. By promising that this will eventually happen, this allows him to keep the money. Now we'll see if it actually does happen in 2024.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Damn this sucks, was looking forward to it. Hopefully someone can figure it out for next year. ("Hopefully next year", now that's the TRUE Rhody Way! :lol: )
2 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

You can also go to the GoFundMe page. and use live chat to get the refund. It was really easy.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I have very mixed feelings about this and whether we would support it next year. We gave a pretty substantial donation, directly and not on GoFundMe, which wasn't reported on the fundraising amounts. Hope they will promptly return it.

I am concerned that they weren't able to drum up even $5000. on GFM. Maybe inexperience and unrealistic goals and timelines?

Also, they are competing with NIL fundraising, and the fact that the players aren't broke college students, but playing professionally and earning a wage.Perhaps the model that others on this thread suggested, such as "if we win you win" and get the donation back.
Dissapointing to say the least.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

LoveThoseRams wrote: 9 months ago I have very mixed feelings about this and whether we would support it next year. We gave a pretty substantial donation, directly and not on GoFundMe, which wasn't reported on the fundraising amounts. Hope they will promptly return it.

I am concerned that they weren't able to drum up even $5000. on GFM. Maybe inexperience and unrealistic goals and timelines?

Also, they are competing with NIL fundraising, and the fact that the players aren't broke college students, but playing professionally and earning a wage.Perhaps the model that others on this thread suggested, such as "if we win you win" and get the donation back.
Can't imagine anyone would be supporting it if the clown show runs it again.

I can't imagine TBT would accept an application from these jokers again.

It would have to be built from the ground up.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 9 months ago I have very mixed feelings about this and whether we would support it next year. We gave a pretty substantial donation, directly and not on GoFundMe, which wasn't reported on the fundraising amounts. Hope they will promptly return it.

Biggest question for me is how was the team bracketed and expected to play in 3 days if they didn’t even have the entry fee paid?

Common sense (a rarity these days) says a team should only be bracketed if all dues are already paid in full.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 9 months ago I'm guessing this is probably why many teams have NBA players and/or influential/wealthy alumni involved. Now, why would the TBT ever want to give them a chance again?
This is my fear, that after this we won't be able to get a URI team in in the future
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Looked at UMass to see how they did things. They did an own a share with different benefits for different levels of participation and all shareholders getting double their money back if their team won which they publicized on the UMass board 5/15:

https://thecommonwealthtbt.com/own-a-share

"Some facts:
- It takes around $30,000 to fund a TBT team: camp costs, traveling, lodging, equipment, uniforms, nutrition, etc.
- Right now we have 1 sponsor: Five College Movers, who is footing the bill in its entirety. We are trying to offset some of those costs, and make this a sustainable multi year team/organization.
- The Collective (Director of the Collective is also the Owner of FCM) will be providing all logistical support, but no funding from Collective Funds. We think it is VERY important for the Collective to be a "presenting" sponsor in this and grow hand in hand with the TBT Team.

So, anything helps, both these ownership shares and sponsorship packages we are selling. If you have an interested business, you can have them contact us directly and see more info here: https://thecommonwealthtbt.com/sponsors"

"Fan Event Schedule (Open to Public)

Wednesday 7/19 Joes Cafe 7pm - Informal dinner with team, open seating, no reservations, space limited.
Friday 7/21 Hangar Pub 8pm - Informal dinner with team, open seating, no reservations, space limited.

Shareholder and Massachusetts Collective Members Only Events

- Friday 7/21 Open Practice/Fan Event at Champions Center, 5pm - 7pm
- Informal Autograph Session, Open Practice, Contests, Etc.
- Please RSVP directly to The Mass Co via email info@umasscollective.com
- Followed by informal dinner at Hangar, open to public."

I mean they had a tremendously organized effort, with collaboration with their collective, sponsors, and reasons beyond "hey this is cool" for fans to donate
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

If UMass can make it happen and we can't

Gross
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Where is Stefan Soloviev when you need him??
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago
This is my fear, that after this we won't be able to get a URI team in in the future
I have faith that it's gonna happen next year...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago If UMass can make it happen and we can't

Gross
Truly embarrassing. What a letdown. I was so pumped
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago If UMass can make it happen and we can't

Gross
Truly embarrassing. What a letdown. I was so pumped
It's been a mini dream of mine to see us put a team together for this event for a while now

And I was like hell yeah we get to see a Rhody alumni team and then football and basketball? Let's go!.....

Why can't we have cool things?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Not Mike Powell wrote: 9 months ago Where is Stefan Soloviev when you need him??
IDK do we think the guys who had 3 months to fundraise money and waited to start a GoFundMe til a week before they needed the money even attempted to reach out to him?
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 9 months ago

Oh 100% on the manger, but (obviously) all involved are affiliated with URI basketball.

Just a tough look.
"Are"? Or "were"?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are we the only team of 64 to back out ??
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Biggest question for me is how was the team bracketed and expected to play in 3 days if they didn’t even have the entry fee paid?

Common sense (a rarity these days) says a team should only be bracketed if all dues are already paid in full.
TBH I don't know. IDK if it was tourney fees or if it was getting the team together or what. Maybe both.

What I do know is that it's incredibly suspect that we're 3 days out from the first game and I didn't see the rostered guys on IG hyping this up...really at all.

Like go through the IG's of everyone. Not a single post about this team. Ever.

Suspect to say the least. It's a fair question to ask if this was even a real team - or if Jarrelle/Owen just applied without doing a lick of groundwork for anything and assumed "we'll get these guys" and just went for it.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Atleast we still have Delroy James to root for.
5 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago The more I think about this the more I get angry. Potentially burned URI alums' chance at having a team in this tournament with this BS.

I know this kid says "a whole year to prepare" but considering what he did in 2-3 months, I'm not sure he could run this with 10 years to prepare. Let's hope he steps aside and lets more organized people handle it.

The GoFundMe was tweeted like 48 hours ago from the time I'm typing this. From the outside looking in, it looks like a panic move and this wasn't organized all too well. Everything felt very last-minute. They're already talking about next year... they need to begin planning all aspects of that now.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BTW, I see Delroy is still playing in this tournament. Was there any attempt to get him on the Rhody Way team?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

I'm not sure that they couldn't pay the entrance fee/dues or if they didn't have $$ to support logistics, etc. The initial offering for sponsorship started at 1500 and went to 10k and up. I'm not sure if they received any sponsorships to that level.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago
I have faith that it's gonna happen next year...
I think people will be reluctant to support it after this years debacle. What was the TEAM DINNER on Friday? Was the team in town to discuss whether they were still in it or not? How do you ask for and accept donations on Friday and then pull the plug on Monday?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago The more I think about this the more I get angry. Potentially burned URI alums' chance at having a team in this tournament with this BS.

The GoFundMe was tweeted like 48 hours ago from the time I'm typing this. From the outside looking in, it looks like a panic move and this wasn't organized all too well. Everything felt very last-minute. They're already talking about next year... they need to begin planning all aspects of that now.
They can't be anywhere near this if we ever want to hope it happens. If it's on the radar just pray that an entity not associated with URI but with financial backing that cares about URI steps up to fill the void.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

They can't be anywhere near this if we ever want to hope it happens. If it's on the radar just pray that an entity not associated with URI but with financial backing that cares about URI steps up to fill the void.
It'll never happen
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago BTW, I see Delroy is still playing in this tournament. Was there any attempt to get him on the Rhody Way team?
Delroy founded and runs the autism team in the TBT in honor of his autistic son.

Delroy is always going to be associated to that team in the TBT.
Last edited by sevegny7 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Good for him/Delroy!
I miss playing with him and some of the other guys in Mackel. I'll have to check out some games if they end up on TV.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The Dude wrote: 9 months ago Good for him/Delroy!
I miss playing with him and some of the other guys in Mackel. I'll have to check out some games if they end up on TV.
Did you ever give Delroy the business?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ouch

And UMASS with the accolades.....

A4A4DEE8-1F5A-4AD3-8826-11E2FCFE132D.png
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

"I don't know details" is an evergreen statement from RV.

"I'm not blaming anyone"..."so many missed opportunities, specifically with the NIL collective."
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago
The Dude wrote: 9 months ago Good for him/Delroy!
Did you ever give Delroy the business?
Haha, no, but Marquis Jones was being guarded by some overzealous dude on my team and he got so frustrated that the one time we switched men on defense and I had Jones and wouldn't let him drive on along the baseline he threw a elbow or forearm at me and then had a to leave when I asked why he did that. It had more to do with the other guy.
Side note: Did strip Roco Baldelli once though. He was dunking on guys and I wasn't going to allow it to happen to us.Told him to get the f___ outta here. Hahaha. Fun times. He was pretty good...especially for someone who's primary sport was baseball.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

There is no free lunch.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!