Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago Interesting perspective in the article, but its last sentence is puzzling: The Aztecs’ best chance is still the Pac-12 but right now that league is not in a rush to add teams or even get its media rights deal done. I agree that the PAC-12 is the best bet for SDSU, but make no mistake the PAC-12 media deal is a huge item for them; an almost make or break situation, They must come up with a package that pays more than the Big 12 or else they face annihilation. To say that they are in no rush to get a deal done is ludicrous.

If you look at schools trying to break into the P5, the two best positioned are SDSU and UConn. Given the uncertainty of what happens next in the realignment game, a bigger goal for UConn would be to get into the Big Ten.
There is absolutely zero discussion about UCONN going to the Big Ten. Zero interest by the Big Ten.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 9 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago Interesting perspective in the article, but its last sentence is puzzling: The Aztecs’ best chance is still the Pac-12 but right now that league is not in a rush to add teams or even get its media rights deal done. I agree that the PAC-12 is the best bet for SDSU, but make no mistake the PAC-12 media deal is a huge item for them; an almost make or break situation, They must come up with a package that pays more than the Big 12 or else they face annihilation. To say that they are in no rush to get a deal done is ludicrous.

If you look at schools trying to break into the P5, the two best positioned are SDSU and UConn. Given the uncertainty of what happens next in the realignment game, a bigger goal for UConn would be to get into the Big Ten.
There is absolutely zero discussion about UCONN going to the Big Ten. Zero interest by the Big Ten.
I wouldn't see them as a fit in the BIG.
Aside from the B12, there was earlier discussions about the ACC which would probably make more sense for UConn.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 9 months ago

I never said that the Big Ten had interest in UConn. This is just my own idea, but given UConn thinks big, it's not beyond reason that they have also flirted with the idea. Yes, the ACC may be a better fit, but the threat looming over that conference is potential poaching by the the SEC. As for the Big 12, that league is just a higher version of what the Huskies fled from with the AAC. In fact, three of the four new members of that league come from the AAC. Finally, if you are a UConn supporter, what is more appealing ; flying all the way to Provo to watch the Huskies play BYU and having to sip on a Diet Coke or flying a little further to LA and watch UConn play in LA Coliseum or the Rose Bowl and enjoy a couple margaritas in the process?

And what makes UConn a bad prospect for the B10, but Rutgers was a good one. UConn at least brings along multiple WBB and MBB national championships in recent years. What Big Ten school exceeds that record over the last 20 years? Also, UConn with their new hockey facility brings some heft to the few B10 schools playing that sport. Also. with the opening of a new baseball facility, UConn easily has the best in all NE and in the season just concluded the Huskies were ranked in the Top 25, went 5-2 versus Big Ten teams, and reached the Gainesville Regional in the NCAA tourney.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago And what makes UConn a bad prospect for the B10, but Rutgers was a good one.

State Population with Rank
New Jersey 9.3M 11th
Connecticut 3.6M 29th
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 9 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago And what makes UConn a bad prospect for the B10, but Rutgers was a good one.

New Jersey 9.3M 11th
Connecticut 3.6M 29th
Once the BIG added Rutgers, the NYC media market, and Maryland (Balt, DC) there is no desire or need for UConn. Also basketball is almost an afterthought for the B10.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

New Jersey 9.3M 11th
Connecticut 3.6M 29th
You forgot a few:

Nebraska: Population 1.9M, Rank 37th
Iowa: Population, 3.2M, Rank, 31st
Last edited by Obadiah 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago

New Jersey 9.3M 11th
Connecticut 3.6M 29th
Once the BIG added Rutgers, the NYC media market, and Maryland (Balt, DC) there is no desire or need for UConn. Also basketball is almost an afterthought for the B10.
Basketball is an afterthought? Really. And you forgot to mention those hot media markets in Des Moines and Omaha.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago

New Jersey 9.3M 11th
Connecticut 3.6M 29th
Basketball is an afterthought? Really. And you forgot to mention those hot media markets in Des Moines and Omaha.
B10 football drives the bus, but they did want to get a footprint in the East Coast media markets with Rutgers and Maryland providing that.
Iowa and Nebraska did fit their football blueprint.
Also, Nebraska has the longest national sell-out record of 60 straight years and about 390 games, also around 90,000 fans per game.

I just don't see UConn in the equation.
Neither did the B10 committee, now they expanded to the West Coast adding USC and UCLA.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For a little history. Once the Big Ten began to consider expansion beyond the ten member set-up, it established a policy that they would only expand into states that were contiguous to their current geographic footprint. This policy allowed them to admit Penn State since Pennsylvania bordered Ohio and then Nebraska given its border with Iowa. Once Pennsylvania was added, further expansion was then possible into Maryland and New Jersey, but not Connecticut since that state did not border the new B10 footprint. But obviously that policy was thrown out the window when the league decided to add UCLA and USC so UConn is not such an outlandish idea.

Unusual developments brought UConn to the AAC, a poor fit. They made the correct decision in moving back to the Big East, but In looking at the future landscape of college athletics, I see UConn in a difficult situation given their aspirations and being in the BE only makes sense as an interim move. Something will give with UConn in the next few years. Again just my opinion.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago For a little history. Once the Big Ten began to consider expansion beyond the ten member set-up, it established a policy that they would only expand into states that were contiguous to their current geographic footprint. This policy allowed them to admit Penn State since Pennsylvania bordered Ohio and then Nebraska given its border with Iowa. Once Pennsylvania was added, further expansion was then possible into Maryland and New Jersey, but not Connecticut since that state did not border the new B10 footprint. But obviously that policy was thrown out the window when the league decided to add UCLA and USC so UConn is not such an outlandish idea.

Unusual developments brought UConn to the AAC, a poor fit. They made the correct decision in moving back to the Big East, but In looking at the future landscape of college athletics, I see UConn in a difficult situation given their aspirations and being in the BE only makes sense as an interim move. Something will give with UConn in the next few years. Again just my opinion.
Yes Obadiah the college athletic landscape is ever-changing and much can still happen. The member schools of the B10 also have to meet financial endowment requirements.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Agree college realignment is definitely will be changing some more in the next few years. Gone are the old college rivalries replaced with new ones.
Could you imagine if PEE Cee and Rhody didn’t play every year? Look what happen just 1 season amid a nation wide pandemic, us Rhody fans were not happy.

But could you imagine no Miami/Florida state, Texas /Oklahoma or even Norte Dame/USC.

Yes we all agree FOOTBALL is king and driving the bus.

As far as UConn, the bus drove past their stop. I don’t think many conferences are looking to add the Storrs,Ct area. It doesn’t matter how many championships the men’s or women’s basketball teams won. What has the football team done. The one year UConn played in the fiesta bowl ( I think ) was the year they should have bounced plus they didn’t back up that BCS bowl with another one so it looked like a one year wonder.

Big 10 and SEC are the conferences running the show. Schools are fighting themselves to get into them.

UConn is on a desert island. No P-5 conference wants them.
And the whole ACC talk is a joke. Only way UConn gets into the ACC is with Boston College signs off on it. Sad but true.

I still think the one school that is quietly lurking is Norte Dame. Conferences would throw themselves at them. I think we all know why.

As Far as UConn football they should really consider going back to 1-AA or whatever it’s called now. Be great for the CAA to have them.
When you’re getting beat out for recruits by URI, Maine, Stoney brook. That says something.

All this can change though if UConn hit the jackpot with Mora and have some back to back winning seasons and bowl bids.

Long post long rant just my 2 cents.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think Obadiah is absolutely right. The realignment ten years ago was all about media markets and conferences trying to get their new cable channels into as many households as possible so they could make money on carriage fees. Now with cord cutting and streaming being more important than cable channels this round of realignment is about brands. Hate them or love them, UConn is a brand.

What hurts UConn is there are still a good amount of AAU schools from the Pac 12 that will probably be looking for a home and there are schools in the ACC that the Big 10 and SEC will covet when that grant of rights comes to its end.

It is absolutely vital over these nexts 10-15 years that UConn continues to be a brand name and improves its football program so they have a chance to be in one of the super conferences
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago For a little history. Once the Big Ten began to consider expansion beyond the ten member set-up, it established a policy that they would only expand into states that were contiguous to their current geographic footprint. This policy allowed them to admit Penn State since Pennsylvania bordered Ohio and then Nebraska given its border with Iowa. Once Pennsylvania was added, further expansion was then possible into Maryland and New Jersey, but not Connecticut since that state did not border the new B10 footprint. But obviously that policy was thrown out the window when the league decided to add UCLA and USC so UConn is not such an outlandish idea.

Yes Obadiah the college athletic landscape is ever-changing and much can still happen. The member schools of the B10 also have to meet financial endowment requirements.
Thanks, Jersey77. I was not aware that the Big 10 imposed endowment requirements. What is the minimum level.? did know that the B10 preferred schools who belong to the Association of American Universities (AAU), but this is not a hard and fast rule which explains that Nebraska is the only B10 school not an AAU member. Also the B10 has forever wanted Notre Dame in its ranks despite the fact that ND was not an AAU member, but that became moot when ND got invited to the AAU this year. Miami also gained admittance to the AAU this year. All evidence shows that B10 will depart from rules from time to time and this will certainly guide any further expansion.

What is known about the B10 is they want to be known as a coast to coast, nationwide conference and the Southeast is one region they have no presence. Will that change in future years? Several ACC schools are waiting to find out.
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

UConn will be fine. They will not go down to FCS. Their brand and donors are happy staying in the Big East unless they get an offer from a power 5 conference approaches them. The football program can be successful - winning record, however unlike Nebraska, there is zero tradition when it comes to football. I can see them and UMass jumping on the Conference USA train as football only members. Its sad that UMass has more tradition when it comes to football than UConn. Not to mention if you are a student athlete, to choose Amherst over Storrs is a no brainer- their is an actual downtown in Amherst with fun places to explore. Not just a block of planned appearing as an urban block.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bartoburger wrote: 9 months ago UConn will be fine. They will not go down to FCS. Their brand and donors are happy staying in the Big East unless they get an offer from a power 5 conference approaches them. The football program can be successful - winning record, however unlike Nebraska, there is zero tradition when it comes to football. I can see them and UMass jumping on the Conference USA train as football only members. Its sad that UMass has more tradition when it comes to football than UConn. Not to mention if you are a student athlete, to choose Amherst over Storrs is a no brainer- their is an actual downtown in Amherst with fun places to explore. Not just a block of planned appearing as an urban block.
huh?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thanks, Jersey77. I was not aware that the Big 10 imposed endowment requirements. What is the minimum level.? did know that the B10 preferred schools who belong to the Association of American Universities (AAU), but this is not a hard and fast rule which explains that Nebraska is the only B10 school not an AAU member. Also the B10 has forever wanted Notre Dame in its ranks despite the fact that ND was not an AAU member, but that became moot when ND got invited to the AAU this year. Miami also gained admittance to the AAU this year. All evidence shows that B10 will depart from rules from time to time and this will certainly guide any further expansion.

What is known about the B10 is they want to be known as a coast to coast, nationwide conference and the Southeast is one region they have no presence. Will that change in future years? Several ACC schools are waiting to find out.
Unable to access that data Obadiah, but while I was living in Lincoln, Ne and having 2 kids that graduated from UNL, there was discussion about that when Nebraska applied for membership in 2010. The university met all the Big 10 criteria and fit their mold. I guess having Warren Buffet as an alum didn't hurt either.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, you are right, Jersey. When Nebraska joined the Big Ten it was a member of the AAU, but for some reason the school was ejected from the group in 2011.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago Yes, you are right, Jersey. When Nebraska joined the Big Ten it was a member of the AAU, but for some reason the school was ejected from the group in 2011.
Yes crazy, very soon after their application was accepted, they were no longer part of the AAU once their membership was official and yes neither is Notre Dame as you pointed out.
Northwestern is the only private institution in the B10.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago Yes, you are right, Jersey. When Nebraska joined the Big Ten it was a member of the AAU, but for some reason the school was ejected from the group in 2011.
Yes crazy, very soon after their application was accepted, they were no longer part of the AAU once their membership was official and yes neither is Notre Dame as you pointed out.
Northwestern will be joined in that category by USC next season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Northwestern will be joined in that category by USC next season.
Yep
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago I think Obadiah is absolutely right. The realignment ten years ago was all about media markets and conferences trying to get their new cable channels into as many households as possible so they could make money on carriage fees. Now with cord cutting and streaming being more important than cable channels this round of realignment is about brands. Hate them or love them, UConn is a brand.

What hurts UConn is there are still a good amount of AAU schools from the Pac 12 that will probably be looking for a home and there are schools in the ACC that the Big 10 and SEC will covet when that grant of rights comes to its end.

It is absolutely vital over these nexts 10-15 years that UConn continues to be a brand name and improves its football program so they have a chance to be in one of the super conferences
You mean conferences are now actually looking for teams that people want to watch? I can’t believe it has taken the genius people who run these schools this long to figure that out. Who really cares if Rutgers is a “NY/NJ market” - no one watches any of there games. They suck eternally.

Tough to hate on Fordham after the finally had a good year, but again same thing, who cares they are in NYC they draw zero viewers even when they are good. Same with Duquesne and LaSalle.

Same issue in the New Big East, who really is going searching for most of those teams outside of UConn. Once UConn leaves the draw for the Big East will be down again.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Would be crazy to get Temple back!
I don’t think it will happen though.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyrudder wrote: 9 months ago
Discussed going to 16 teams and possibly losing UMass and Dayton.

Temple a real longshot, UConn negotiated a $17M exit fee from the AAC to the BE.
Can't see Temple doing that for the A10, probably not a very good ROI.

I wouldn't want Monmouth who they mentioned.
No to them, would prefer Siena, Charleston, Belmont, maybe Cleveland State, or even Bradley.

They did add Murray State, which I wouldn't disagree with.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Dayton would be a major loss. Oooph

UMass leaving would be crappy although I would hope we could regularly schedule to play each other out of conference more seasons than not.

Regarding potential replacements, slim pickings out there to move the needle, imho.

As mentioned by others, I guess Murray State, Belmont, or Charleston would be some of the better options left out there. I would like to see Temple return but I don’t know how realistic that is. Too bad Wichita State doesn’t shake loose - although, not sure how realistic that option is either.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's a Fordham student that doesn't know what they're talking about
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Temple a real longshot, UConn negotiated a $17M exit fee from the AAC to the BE.

No to them, would prefer Siena, Charleston, Belmont, maybe Cleveland State, or even Bradley.

All of those programs suck and if we're adding them we should prepare our applications for the CAA and America East, because that's the level the once proud A10 would be at
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago

All of those programs suck and if we're adding them we should prepare our applications for the CAA and America East, because that's the level the once proud A10 would be at
I was responding to the article about the A10 having interest in possibly going to 16 teams.
If we lose Dayton, UMass and possibly SLU and VCU down the road, what suggestions do you have?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

My suggestion is when you're in a hole you stop digging. Adding more programs that don't add value and won't get the conference back to multiple bids is a recipe for further disaster. Also, we need to consider the source of the article, a Fordham student.

Dayton is not leaving for the Big East, Xavier will block it.
UMass might smarten up and move all sports to one conference, or they might smarten up and drop football back to the Colonial, but they seem content to just keep screwing up their athletic department.
SLU and one of the Richmond teams might leave for the Big East, but the Big East seems content on not expanding, so who knows if and when that will happen
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago My suggestion is when you're in a hole you stop digging. Adding more programs that don't add value and won't get the conference back to multiple bids is a recipe for further disaster. Also, we need to consider the source of the article, a Fordham student.

Dayton is not leaving for the Big East, Xavier will block it.
UMass might smarten up and move all sports to one conference, or they might smarten up and drop football back to the Colonial, but they seem content to just keep screwing up their athletic department.
SLU and one of the Richmond teams might leave for the Big East, but the Big East seems content on not expanding, so who knows if and when that will happen
If the BE wants to expand, I can see SLU and VCU in the discussion, if Gonzaga is not in the equation.
Not so sure Xavier would veto Dayton, after all they do have other schools that share geographic proximities and doesn't seem to be an issue.
Dayton does have a big arena with great attendance, plus some success.

That wouldn't leave the A10 with much remaining and a really watered-down conference.
Our future pickings would be slim, especially without football.

But I do agree the BE may not be in a big hurry to add, unless of course they did lose UConn and get pressured by future media contracts to increase membership.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Here's a hot take that alluded to in my last post, what if the Big East goes for Richmond instead of VCU?

VCU has clearly had a better program, but maybe the Big East prefers to stay all private once UConn leaves so they no longer have programs that bring Freedom of Information Act exposure? Richmond fits better as a school than VCU, obviously has the same market, the arenas are about the same size, and it's not like Richmond has been bad, more mediocre than anything under Mooney. If I'm the Big East I'm thinking it doesn't really matter which program we grab, we'll be the kingmaker for that market.

The assumption has always just been VCU, and if the Big East chooses a Richmond school I'd still say they're the heavy favorite, I'm just thinking Richmond has an outside shot.

As for the nightmare scenario where Dayton, UMass, SLU, and one of the Richmond schools are gone, at that point the Atlantic 10 is completely and totally irrelevant, especially for us as a public school on the outer fringe of the conference with no rival. There's no programs we can bring in that will fix the issues with the conference and it will be a consistent one bid conference in short order. You're as likely to see the A10 disband at that point with every school not elevated finding better regional conferences than being a consistent multibid conference. At that point we fit in better with the CAA or American East. And yes, typing that makes me want to puke. Bad times for URI if that comes to pass
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago
It's a Fordham student that doesn't know what they're talking about
Yeah - the writing is so obviously bad that I'm surprised people have already devoted this many posts to it. It starts talking about the porous performance of the conference in the NCAA tournament and also references "Hannibal Lector." It reads like it didn't go through any sort of copy editing process.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think the Big East has nailed the conference realignment strategy by keeping their conference small.

No hangers-on. Georgetown will be back. DePaul is a perennial doormat in the Big East but always around the 150 range and at least invest in their program.

All of the programs we've looked to add only dilute the conference.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 9 months ago
The Colonial Atheltic Association is set to change its name to the Coastal Atheltic Association.

Atheltic????
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago I think the Big East has nailed the conference realignment strategy by keeping their conference small.

No hangers-on. Georgetown will be back. DePaul is a perennial doormat in the Big East but always around the 150 range and at least invest in their program.

It's about smart scheduling. The 10 teams worked primarily because it created the double round-robin. Even if the conference is "down" there should be at least 12 quality games and at least a few Q1 games at home. Quality of teams aside, there is no way to manage this in a 15 team conference, unless of course you go to that ultra aggressive pod scheduling model where the top 5 teams would all have home/homes against the other Top 5 teams, etc. Doesn't fix full dilution, but makes sure everyone gets maximum cracks at quality teams. This feels too obvious at this point.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 9 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago I think the Big East has nailed the conference realignment strategy by keeping their conference small.

It's about smart scheduling. The 10 teams worked primarily because it created the double round-robin. Even if the conference is "down" there should be at least 12 quality games and at least a few Q1 games at home. Quality of teams aside, there is no way to manage this in a 15 team conference, unless of course you go to that ultra aggressive pod scheduling model where the top 5 teams would all have home/homes against the other Top 5 teams, etc. Doesn't fix full dilution, but makes sure everyone gets maximum cracks at quality teams. This feels too obvious at this point.
My thoughts are that if UConn leaves for the B12, the BE will try and add 2 teams.
Their contract with Fox Sports runs through 24-25, expansion would help in that negotiation, which will start shortly.
I think their first choice would be Gonzaga and if they can get that done, probably also add St. Mary's.
Of course, if not those schools look for the BE to poach the A10.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Remember that the media increasingly is calling the shots on how conferences evolve. And to the media the key factors are brands, match-ups and windows. Conference attractiveness increases with more brands which provides more attractive match-ups, and the opportunity to occupy the most attractive viewing windows, e.g, 8 PM on Saturday. Also, the big kahuna is not just football, but big time football. All this is evidence behind the moves by the Big Ten and the SEC move to increase their conference size to 16 schools with rumors that they may move to super conference status with 20 members. In their new media deal, each B10 school no matter the state of their programs will take home $80 million yearly. That payout is close to the annual appropriation that URI gets as a public institution.

Considering these trends, I do not see UConn remaining in the Big East for much longer. Given the well known aspirations of the school, the prestige of their MBB and WBB programs and their facilities commitment to football, they are an attractive brand to other all-sports conferences. The current BE media deal gives UConn $4.6 million plus the added perks from their NCAA run. This figure pales to the $30 million they would get as a member of the Big 12 and is the only reason UConn would even consider a league that is only a higher version of the AAC which they fled from.

As for the Big East, they are between a rock and a hard spot - how do they eventually compete against the big football conferences. And unlike both SEC and Big 10 expansions, there is no BE expansion that adds significant attractiveness to what they already got which is pretty good.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago Remember that the media increasingly is calling the shots on how conferences evolve. And to the media the key factors are brands, match-ups and windows. Conference attractiveness increases with more brands which provides more attractive match-ups, and the opportunity to occupy the most attractive viewing windows, e.g, 8 PM on Saturday. Also, the big kahuna is not just football, but big time football. All this is evidence behind the moves by the Big Ten and the SEC move to increase their conference size to 16 schools with rumors that they may move to super conference status with 20 members. In their new media deal, each B10 school no matter the state of their programs will take home $80 million yearly. That payout is close to the annual appropriation that URI gets as a public institution.

Considering these trends, I do not see UConn remaining in the Big East for much longer. Given the well known aspirations of the school, the prestige of their MBB and WBB programs and their facilities commitment to football, they are an attractive brand to other all-sports conferences. The current BE media deal gives UConn $4.6 million plus the added perks from their NCAA run. This figure pales to the $30 million they would get as a member of the Big 12 and is the only reason UConn would even consider a league that is only a higher version of the AAC which they fled from.

As for the Big East, they are between a rock and a hard spot - how do they eventually compete against the big football conferences. And unlike both SEC and Big 10 expansions, there is no BE expansion that adds significant attractiveness to what they already got which is pretty good.
"Big East's Val Ackerman on Expansion: Conference Won't 'Stay at 11 Forever"
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=305c71f9 ... YW4v&ntb=1

"I don't think the Big East will stay at 11 forever," Ackerman said. "I can't quantify when, but there's too much going on around us. Maybe it's proactive, or it could be reactive expansion. You'd rather be proactive, but maybe other things helping elsewhere and certain opportunities are presented to us that we didn't see and then we act on those. Either way, it's fine."

"If the conference is going to add more schools, it'll likely happen before February 2024, when its negotiating period with Fox opens for the next television contract, per O'Neil.
That gives the Big East around 16 months to explore options for expansion, which could bolster the size of the TV deal, or opt to stick with its core 11."

Of course if they lose UConn, who won the National Championship in 2023, that may help force their hand to react.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't doubt that the BE will expand with or without UConn. The only question is how many schools will they add, but other than long shot Gonzaga, there are no potential adds that significantly improve the brand attractiveness of the league.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Bring back BC, Syracuse?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

section(105) wrote: 9 months ago Bring back BC, Syracuse?
Media deals are driven by big-time football and while the ACC one, at $30 million per school, is not among the highest, it dwarfs what the BE now gets or is likely to get in the future. So why would BC and Syracuse even entertain such an idea???!!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Even at $30M per year a few ACC schools are looking for a bigger payday with the super conferences. Who would have thought that 5 years ago?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago I don't doubt that the BE will expand with or without UConn. The only question is how many schools will they add, but other than long shot Gonzaga, there are no potential adds that significantly improve the brand attractiveness of the league.
This is the issue. The conference is not opposed to expansion, but has not wanted to entertain wasteful expansion. This will only change if their hand is forced (TV). Gonzaga is the one school of interest but it really doesn't make sense from a non-revenue sports perspective. Gonzaga only starts to work if you have western expansion - such as adding St. Mary's and a third western to Creighton, Butler, Marquette, and DePaul. I don't see that in the cards right now. I think it's best to stand pat and see what shakes out. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the ACC and all these teams that were rumored to want out, and what happens with the leftovers as far as TV. If the ACC no longer has football appeal, does that make certain ACC schools open for a basketball-only conference? I think it's way too early to tell.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago I don't doubt that the BE will expand with or without UConn. The only question is how many schools will they add, but other than long shot Gonzaga, there are no potential adds that significantly improve the brand attractiveness of the league.
This is the issue. The conference is not opposed to expansion, but has not wanted to entertain wasteful expansion. This will only change if their hand is forced (TV). Gonzaga is the one school of interest but it really doesn't make sense from a non-revenue sports perspective. Gonzaga only starts to work if you have western expansion - such as adding St. Mary's and a third western to Creighton, Butler, Marquette, and DePaul. I don't see that in the cards right now. I think it's best to stand pat and see what shakes out. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the ACC and all these teams that were rumored to want out, and what happens with the leftovers as far as TV. If the ACC no longer has football appeal, does that make certain ACC schools open for a basketball-only conference? I think it's way too early to tell.
In moving to a trans country conference Gonzaga faces a problem that USC and UCLA did not have in making their move to the Big Ten and that is Gonzaga lacks big time football. Both California schools will eventually see an increase of some $50 million annually from media rights and that amount will go a long way towards paying the cross country expenses of their swim and tennis teams, etc.

Here is the critical question for Gonzaga: is the obviously larger media payout of the BE over the WCC enough to cover the big increases in expenses for their Olympic sports teams. The current individual payout for BE is $4.7 million + supplements per school. I do not know the WCC payout but it is definitely much lower than the BE. It is a safe to say that when the BE negotiates its new media agreement, the payout will increase and a good guess places the per school payout at around $7 million range. Will this amount be attractive to Gonzaga to make the move?? My hunch is yes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In moving to a trans country conference Gonzaga faces a problem that USC and UCLA did not have in making their move to the Big Ten and that is Gonzaga lacks big time football. Both California schools will eventually see an increase of some $50 million annually from media rights and that amount will go a long way towards paying the cross country expenses of their swim and tennis teams, etc.

Here is the critical question for Gonzaga: is the obviously larger media payout of the BE over the WCC enough to cover the big increases in expenses for their Olympic sports teams. The current individual payout for BE is $4.7 million + supplements per school. I do not know the WCC payout but it is definitely much lower than the BE. It is a safe to say that when the BE negotiates its new media agreement, the payout will increase and a good guess places the per school payout at around $7 million range. Will this amount be attractive to Gonzaga to make the move?? My hunch is yes.
Obadiah,
Do you know the approximate payout for all of the P5 Conferences?

My guess is UCONN is in a P5 All Sports Conference as early as next season as the gap between P5 Big 12 vs BE is very big money wise.

Just as UCF, BYU, Houston and Cincinnati left for FBS P5, UCONN is right there in their class. UCONN had a Top 10 baseball team this season, National Championship MBB, Perennial Contender in WBB, put them in FBS and the ease to transfer rules and NIL will improve their football quickly.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here is rough summary of the media payouts. The Big Ten payout data is for the previous deal, the new one effective in 2023 has not been officially inked given the move of the Big Ten commissioner to his a new position with the NFL Bears and some other game dates/timing controversies. When settled the payout will eventually settle in the $80-100 million per member.

Annual payout per member.
Big Ten	   $58.8 million*
SEC	   $49.9 million
ACC	   $37.9 to $41.3 million
Pac-12     $37 million
Big 12     $42 to $44.9 million

*Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers received less due to Big Ten Network earnings
 that predated the schools' entrance to the league.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 9 months ago Here is rough summary of the media payouts. The Big Ten payout data is for the previous deal, the new one effective in 2023 has not been officially inked given the move of the Big Ten commissioner to his a new position with the NFL Bears and some other game dates/timing controversies. When settled the payout will eventually settle in the $80-100 million per member.

Annual payout per member.
Big Ten	   $58.8 million*
SEC	   $49.9 million
ACC	   $37.9 to $41.3 million
Pac-12     $37 million
Big 12     $42 to $44.9 million

*Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers received less due to Big Ten Network earnings
 that predated the schools' entrance to the league.
So the Big East only gets $4.7 million per school? Roughly 10% or thereabouts?

So why would Boston College or Syracuse ever walk away from that as someone suggested earlier?

Question is will that gap between the P5 schools and BE Schools widen in the future? My guess would be yes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Emotions of Texas and Oklahoma joining SEC

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/big-12-dep ... 34888.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. Don't see any schools now worth adding to Big East, none that would strengthen it like UCONN did.

SEC is playing cards right by adding strength to strength.

In adding Texas and Oklahoma they added 2 State Schools and continuous geography.

SEC now has 12 State Universities out of 15 Conference schools:
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Tennessee
Kentucky
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida

Plus Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M

Looking at the map it would make a lot of sense to now go after North Carolina and Virginia - locking up 2 more solid, contiguous State Universities

Good for rivalries and travel for all sports.
D9022C5E-E168-4B74-8637-F07CE20EC838.jpeg
0 x