Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago LEXINGTON — As the first consensus National Player of the Year to return to college basketball since 2008, Kentucky forward Oscar Tshiebwe might be the biggest star in the sport.

But its junior forward Jacob Toppin that Tshiebwe says has actually been performing best in early summer workouts.

“You guys are going to be impressed to see him play basketball this year,” Tshiebwe said. “He’s right now like our best player. He’s unstoppable in the gym. Nobody can stop him.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-oscar-ts ... 50830.html
Love this. I hope Jacob has a big season. I found this quote noteworthy about entering the draft. Something to keep in mind when we hear about guys declaring each year, it doesn't necessarily mean they are unrealistic about their prospects of being drafted as is often implied by fans.

“The plan for me was definitely to come back because I knew I wasn’t ready,” Toppin said. “I’m a person who’s going to go at my own pace. I’m not going to force anything, and I believe that feedback, that opportunity helped me a lot for this upcoming season.”
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I think Jacob has the athleticism to play in the NBA but, I think his shooting range and ball handling have to improve over what I saw of him last season. That said, his length and quickness could be valuable to the NBA.

So, for me, his NBA prospects and potential are still a question mark for now.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Tyrese Martin was just a second round pick, at age 23, which Toppin will be following another year at Kentucky. Their stats aren't that far off from one another, but Toppin pretty much needs to shoot the 3 more if he wants to be drafted, or develop his driving game better - something that makes him a threat on the offensive end. Otherwise, he's still just the SF version of Lamonte Ulmer.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Jacob also has the Toppin last name which I think will have some teams taking a shot on him. Not that Obi is an outstanding player in the NBA, but it still will make Jacob stick out for the back of the 2nd round.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Still another year to showcase @ Kentucky I think definitely a decent chance to make an NBA roster
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jacob Toppin puts on a show as Kentucky rolls to another major blowout in Bahamas

Jacob Toppin put on a shooting display for the Wildcats, connecting on his first eight jump shots of the game, including three made three-pointers. Toppin finished with 27 points, going 11-for-14 from the floor and making five of six three-point attempts. He also had six assists.

The senior forward has been working on his shooting ability after going through the NBA Draft process in the spring, and he’s been impressive in that regard in his first few appearances for the Wildcats this summer. Toppin took just 10 three-pointers (and made four of them) in 29 games last season. Through three games in the Bahamas, he’s gone 7-for-12 from deep, but his ability to create off the dribble and open up mid-range opportunities for himself was arguably the most impressive aspect of his performance Saturday night.

KENTUCKY STARTING LINEUP
As promised, Calipari sent out another unique starting lineup Saturday night, with Cason Wallace, CJ Fredrick, Chris Livingston, Jacob Toppin and Lance Ware as the first five. It was the first start of the week for Wallace, Fredrick, Livingston and Ware, while Toppin is now the only Wildcat to start in all three games in the Bahamas.

https://amp.kentucky.com/sports/college ... 86351.html
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good for him!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Hard work and good coaching are paying off for Jacob. It was clear to him and others around him (as well as a healthy chunk of KB’ers) the coaching piece wasn’t here at the time.

Good for him but unfortunate for fans and supporters of Rhody bb. Thankfully, as a fan base we are past that period and looking forward to better days.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Jacob Toppin puts on a show as Kentucky rolls to another major blowout in Bahamas

Jacob Toppin put on a shooting display for the Wildcats, connecting on his first eight jump shots of the game, including three made three-pointers. Toppin finished with 27 points, going 11-for-14 from the floor and making five of six three-point attempts. He also had six assists.

The senior forward has been working on his shooting ability after going through the NBA Draft process in the spring, and he’s been impressive in that regard in his first few appearances for the Wildcats this summer. Toppin took just 10 three-pointers (and made four of them) in 29 games last season. Through three games in the Bahamas, he’s gone 7-for-12 from deep, but his ability to create off the dribble and open up mid-range opportunities for himself was arguably the most impressive aspect of his performance Saturday night.

KENTUCKY STARTING LINEUP
As promised, Calipari sent out another unique starting lineup Saturday night, with Cason Wallace, CJ Fredrick, Chris Livingston, Jacob Toppin and Lance Ware as the first five. It was the first start of the week for Wallace, Fredrick, Livingston and Ware, while Toppin is now the only Wildcat to start in all three games in the Bahamas.

https://amp.kentucky.com/sports/college ... 86351.html
Toppin getting props from Rothstein.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow looks like he has a chance to play himself into a 1st rounder
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I mean he looked like a different dude out there. He's bigger and stronger. Making shots from all over the court. Blocking the hell out of peoples shots. He's crazy athletic like his brother. Can jump out the gym. He'll be fun to watch this year.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think it was the coaching he received his freshman year that is paying dividends now !🤓🤓🤓
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Every time I see this thread pop up, I think Jacob is transferring again.
8 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

From the game I watched.

Yeah I def wish we still had him....
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

That's awesome. The competition looks horrible, but his shot looks much better. He should have a significant role next year.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

From the game I watched.

Yeah I def wish we still had him....
Great find, looks like he really filled out his upper body , I’ll be surprised if he’s not an NBA player now
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toppin Listed in the article as one of the 5 take-a-ways from this trip. Good video to illustrate his performance too.

4. Jacob Toppin looks completely different
A 6-foot-9 forward who, to this point, has mostly been just another guy at Kentucky in two seasons after transferring in from Rhode Island, Toppin looked completely different in the Bahamas. Retooled physique. More confidence in his jumper. A few pull-up knockdown shots. Flying around the rim. He looks -- dare I say it -- a bit like someone with lottery talent would look on the court.

His final two games in the Bahamas was a dazzling display of his potential. Against Carleton he dropped 27 points on 11 of 14 shooting -- including 5 of 6 from deep. Against the Bahamas in the trip's finale, he dropped 20 points on 8 of 15 shooting.

There's the obvious caveat that the level of competition he dominated won't be the same level he will face this season, but it's clear Toppin's matured physically and has taken his game to another level. There's been a steady drumbeat since he decided to return to school next season that he has fully committed himself to transforming his body and his game, and that seems to be culminating with a potential star turn in his final season with the Wildcats.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... hamas/amp/
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’ll eat crow - thought he would be buried there.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I’ll eat crow - thought he would be buried there.
I mean he essentially has been. 8th and then 7th on the team in minutes in his two years there so far. On what have been historically bad/unsuccessful teams by Kentucky standards.

Truly rooting for him to have a breakout year, but let’s see it against real competition first.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
I mean he essentially has been. 8th and then 7th on the team in minutes in his two years there so far. On what have been historically bad/unsuccessful teams by Kentucky standards.

Truly rooting for him to have a breakout year, but let’s see it against real competition first.
He will. The Bahamas national team had some pros on it and he destroyed them too.

There are some dudes in the SEC that will give him some fits for sure though.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

By buried I meant never seeing the floor. He has gotten minutes and looks like he may be getting more this season. Obviously leaving Cox was a good decision - although I still question what the team would have looked like with Tyrese and Jacob. Their exodus was the start of the end of the Cox era.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ya, this is where I'm at. The Bahamas started 3 guys in their mid-30s and looked exhausted by the second half, which is when Kentucky took over. They wore them down. I think he will be a very solid player for them. I don't think he's an NBA player, but he'll make plenty of money overseas.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toppin picked alone of 20 Break-out players this season

Jacob Toppin, Kentucky: There’s no ceiling this season for the 6-9 Toppin, who seems ready to explode next to Oscar Tshiebwe. An ancillary piece to the puzzle a year ago, Toppin averaged just 6.2 points and 3.2 rebounds — those numbers could very well double in 2022-23.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... 23-season/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jacob Toppin playing summer league for Knicks

https://theknickswall.com/what-to-make- ... ob-toppin/

Jacob will be the only Toppin playing for the Knicks (if he makes the team) as the Knicks dealt Obi Toppin in a trade today with the Indiana Pacers. Knicks got 2 second round draft picks for Obi.
1 x