$42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

All things Rhody Rams football.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

$42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Probably a good idea to start new threads for the multiple facilities that will be getting replacements and improvements now that 80% of the proposal has been granted by the state and they'll officially be happening, especially since they should all have different timelines. I'm sure there will be a good amount of updates on each project, probably enough that separate threads will be worth it.

We'll start with Meade Stadium. Assuming the 80% state funding will be evenly spread among all facilities, the state has provided $33.6 million for this facility and we will need to raise $8.4 million. Here is the state of the facility today:

Not shown in the video is the West side stands that seat 2080. We are adding two stair cases to the East side this offseason that will allow us to take off the tarps covering the top of the stands and get back to maximum capacity. We are also supposed to be adding a video scoreboard, though perhaps that will be put off now that we're doing a large scale renovation. It sounds like we will play in Meade in 2023 and 2024 as is, then will begin the renovation shortly after the 2024 season ends. "However, getting planning and construction documents will take “at least a year” to get together, Bjorn said. Best case scenario, Bjorn says football and lacrosse will play at Meade next academic year and then football plays in the fall of 2024, with construction starting soon after.

“We may have to figure out what we’re doing [for playing football and lacrosse] the following couple of years as construction is going on,” Bjorn said. “But that would be our plan.”

https://pbn.com/uris-sports-fields-gett ... o-be-done/

Average stadium capacity for facilities in the CAA is now 11,243. Our two conference designated rivals are New Hampshire, who renovated Wildcat Stadium in 2015-16 and now has a capacity of 11,015, and Maine, whose Alfond Stadium holds 10,000 and will have seats added to their South end zone as part of a similar capital campaign they have ongoing. Due to this, for me it is imperative that this new version of Meade holds at least 11,000, and when taking into account the size of our student body we should be in the 11,000-15,500. Between south end zone seating and new east side stands, can we fit 9000-13,500 seats in the existing footprint? That could be a challenge. Here's a look at where our conference mates stand:

Albany - Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium
Opened in 2013, 8500 seats with a cost of $24 million (31.3 million today), expandable to 24,000.

Campbell - Barker-Lane Stadium
Opened in 2008, expanded in 2013 to 5500 capacity. Construction cost of $10 million ($14.1 million today)

Delaware - Delaware Stadium
Opened in 1952 with renovations in 1993 and 2019, seats 18,077

Elon - Rhodes Stadium
Opened in 2001, seats 11,250, $13 million ($22.3 million)

Hampton - Armstrong Stadium
Opened in 1928, expanded multiple times, the latest in 1999. Seats 12,000.

Maine - Alfond Stadium
Rebuilt 1996-98 for $7.5 million ($14 million). 10,000 seating capacity. They will be renovating and expanding the stadium shortly, the last link outlines what they'll be doing.

https://goblackbears.com/sports/2021/1/ ... adium.aspx

Monmouth - Kessler Stadium
Opened in 1993, renovated in 2017. 4200 capacity.

New Hampshire - Wildcat Stadium
Opened 1936, expanded and renovated in 2015 for $25 million ($31.7 million). Seats 11,015.

North Carolina A&T - Truist Stadium
Opened 1981, renovated in 2011 for $4.5 million ($6.1 million). 21,500 capacity.

Richmond - E. Claiborne Robins Stadium
Opened in 2010 with a cost of $28 million ($39.1 million). Seats 8217.

Stony Brook - Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium
Opened in 2002, cost $22 million ($37.2 million), seats 12,300.

Towson - Johnny Unitas Stadium
Opened 1978, $32 million renovation in 2002 ($54.1 million). Seats 11,198

Villanova - Villanova Stadium
Opened in 1927, renovated in 1999. Seats 12,000

William & Mary - Zable Stadium
Opened 1935, $28 million renovation in 2016 ($35.5 million). Seats 11,646.

At this point I think Stony Brook is probably the stadium we want to model most. I think South end zone and East side line seating that matches our West side with upper decks as needed to get to our desired capacity is probably the way to go. I also think Albany, New Hampshire, and William & Mary are stadiums we'd want to look at when designing a renovated Meade
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: $42 million Meade Stadium Replacement

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago Probably a good idea to start new threads for the multiple facilities that will be getting replacements and improvements now that 80% of the proposal has been granted by the state and they'll officially be happening, especially since they should all have different timelines. I'm sure there will be a good amount of updates on each project, probably enough that separate threads will be worth it.

We'll start with Meade Stadium. Assuming the 80% state funding will be evenly spread among all facilities, the state has provided $33.6 million for this facility and we will need to raise $8.4 million. Here is the state of the facility today:

Not shown in the video is the West side stands that seat 2080. We are adding two stair cases to the East side this offseason that will allow us to take off the tarps covering the top of the stands and get back to maximum capacity. We are also supposed to be adding a video scoreboard, though perhaps that will be put off now that we're doing a large scale renovation. It sounds like we will play in Meade in 2023 and 2024 as is, then will begin the renovation shortly after the 2024 season ends. "However, getting planning and construction documents will take “at least a year” to get together, Bjorn said. Best case scenario, Bjorn says football and lacrosse will play at Meade next academic year and then football plays in the fall of 2024, with construction starting soon after.

“We may have to figure out what we’re doing [for playing football and lacrosse] the following couple of years as construction is going on,” Bjorn said. “But that would be our plan.”

Average stadium capacity for facilities in the CAA is now 11,243. Our two conference designated rivals are New Hampshire, who renovated Wildcat Stadium in 2015-16 and now has a capacity of 11,015, and Maine, whose Alfond Stadium holds 10,000 and will have seats added to their South end zone as part of a similar capital campaign they have ongoing. Due to this, for me it is imperative that this new version of Meade holds at least 11,000, and when taking into account the size of our student body we should be in the 11,000-15,500. Between south end zone seating and new east side stands, can we fit 9000-13,500 seats in the existing footprint? That could be a challenge. Here's a look at where our conference mates stand:

Opened in 2013, 8500 seats with a cost of $24 million (31.3 million today), expandable to 24,000.

Opened in 2008, expanded in 2013 to 5500 capacity. Construction cost of $10 million ($14.1 million today)

Elon - Rhodes Stadium

Maine - Alfond Stadium
Rebuilt 1996-98 for $7.5 million ($14 million). 10,000 seating capacity. They will be renovating and expanding the stadium shortly, the last link outlines what they'll be doing.

Opened 1936, expanded and renovated in 2015 for $25 million ($31.7 million). Seats 11,015.

Opened 1981, renovated in 2011 for $4.5 million ($6.1 million). 21,500 capacity.

At this point I think Stony Brook is probably the stadium we want to model most. I think South end zone and East side line seating that matches our West side with upper decks as needed to get to our desired capacity is probably the way to go. I also think Albany, New Hampshire, and William & Mary are stadiums we'd want to look at when designing a renovated Meade
World's Longest Post - well done! 👍
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The ones with the tracks around the field look positively high school-ish.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago At this point I think Stony Brook is probably the stadium we want to model most. I think South end zone and East side line seating that matches our West side with upper decks as needed to get to our desired capacity is probably the way to go. I also think Albany, New Hampshire, and William & Mary are stadiums we'd want to look at when designing a renovated Meade
Yeah, probably something between Stony Brook and Delaware. There is currently very little room in the North endzone, but you could make it three sided with that South endzone similar to Delaware if you needed seats for the sake of having more seats.

Ultimately, the only places you can expand significantly are East and South.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

jcru wrote: 10 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago At this point I think Stony Brook is probably the stadium we want to model most. I think South end zone and East side line seating that matches our West side with upper decks as needed to get to our desired capacity is probably the way to go. I also think Albany, New Hampshire, and William & Mary are stadiums we'd want to look at when designing a renovated Meade
Yeah, probably something between Stony Brook and Delaware. There is currently very little room in the North endzone, but you could make it three sided with that South endzone similar to Delaware if you needed seats for the sake of having more seats.

The north end would seem to be the logical place for a large video-board provided the sight lines are good. The slight angle to the west (position of the sun for most games) there however might be problematic.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago Probably a good idea to start new threads for the multiple facilities that will be getting replacements and improvements now that 80% of the proposal has been granted by the state and they'll officially be happening, especially since they should all have different timelines. I'm sure there will be a good amount of updates on each project, probably enough that separate threads will be worth it.

Elon - Rhodes Stadium

Maine - Alfond Stadium

World's Longest Post - well done! 👍
Well there were a lot of big pictures so everyone could follow along!

I think one big thing we should be excited about is this $42 million, with what we already have in place on the West side and lack of a track as part of the stadium, should put us at the top end of stadiums in the conference. Towson was kind of an outlier pricewise, but looking at the stadiums we'd probably be looking to emulate they all seem to have cost about $30-39 million in today's money. Albany built a new stadium for $31.3, UNH built a new side for $31.7, Richmond built a new facility for $39.1, Stony Brook built new for $37.2, and William and Mary carried out a massive renovation for $35.5
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm biased to the Stony Brook mini bowl style...or at worse a 3 sided bowl with 1 end zone open or maybe you build a hill for student seating like at an amphitheater. The seating on only 2 sides always feels like high school to me even if they are large. But really anything is better than what we have now so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I would like a berm for seating in one end zone. Students would love it because their whole group could sit together.
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

Hopefully Meades new capacity will be closer to 15-18k. Thee reason is to get to stronger football conference. Please note- UNH unofficial long term-10- 20 years is to get rid of the track. Then bump the football field closer to the "new"grand stands while demolishing the current basketball gym which would be replaced by another grand stand/luxury seating area. This is survival mode right now for the CAA teams! I think sooner than later you will see this conference go FBS, that 12 team playoff is no joke and if a CAA or any other non power 5 conference is licking their chops at chance to run the table and possibly host a playoff game.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Exciting times for Meade. I would love to see end zone seats built high and maybe luxury field suites below them on field level.
Whatever they do is going to be a much needed upgrade to Meade.
Before we get too far, isn’t the south end zone (where there is the most room ) is considered unbuildable because of an Indian burial ground?

I thought when the Ryan center was being constructed remains were found and they had to work around it.

Either way upgrading Meade is much needed and going to be very difficult because of the space.
But also because of that it will make the stands high and steep like the Ryan center for hopefully a very loud home field advantage and not a bad seat in the house!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodysk wrote: 10 months ago Exciting times for Meade. I would love to see end zone seats built high and maybe luxury field suites below them on field level.
Whatever they do is going to be a much needed upgrade to Meade.
Before we get too far, isn’t the south end zone (where there is the most room ) is considered unbuildable because of an Indian burial ground?

I thought when the Ryan center was being constructed remains were found and they had to work around it.

Either way upgrading Meade is much needed and going to be very difficult because of the space.
But also because of that it will make the stands high and steep like the Ryan center for hopefully a very loud home field advantage and not a bad seat in the house!
Good question about the burial ground. I know there was a burial ground on the site of the Ryan Center and they relocated the bodies they found to the area around the southeast Ryan Center tower. Not sure how extensive a burial ground it was though. I'd have to think athletics has a solid idea if they can build in the south end zone either because there's no burial ground or they can move any bodies found there
1 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

If you are going FBS, you need to get off the pot quickly, before the vote to increase the FBS fee from 5k to 5M.
Capital projects are viewed through a different lense if going FBS.

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-wor ... fcs-to-fbs
The proposals will now be forwarded to Division I membership for feedback. A date for a vote has not been scheduled. If approved, the new scholarship standard would become effective Aug. 1, 2027 for existing FBS schools; schools applying to transition to FBS in 2024-25 or thereafter would have to meet the 90%/210/$6 million rule within two years of joining. The $5 million transfer fee would go into effect immediately.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Steve81 wrote: 10 months ago If you are going FBS, you need to get off the pot quickly, before the vote to increase the FBS fee from 5k to 5M.

The proposals will now be forwarded to Division I membership for feedback. A date for a vote has not been scheduled. If approved, the new scholarship standard would become effective Aug. 1, 2027 for existing FBS schools; schools applying to transition to FBS in 2024-25 or thereafter would have to meet the 90%/210/$6 million rule within two years of joining. The $5 million transfer fee would go into effect immediately.
You keep banging this drum, but I don't think there is any serious momentum for URI to do this. You might as well post about how we better start funding the school a lot more if we want to be serious about joining the Ivy League.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

This is Rhode Island so I would expect we will need more than 42 million dollars to build what most of us would like to see. Which means the school needs to raise more than 8.4 million, unless the state comes through with more money (or URI pulls it from someplace else). I think naming rights to the stadium would help with this. I had to google who Meade was named after and it was named after John E. "Jack" Meade who was an alumnus and local politician who was said to have attended every home football and basketball game until his death in 1972. Much better explanation found here.

https://gorhody.com/sports/2020/6/9/inf ... adium.aspx

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to sell naming rights to the stadium? Yes it would require removing the Meade name which may or may not be feasible. His name has been on the stadium since 1936 or 87 years. He has been dead for 51 years. I would think this would be doable but maybe it is not. Naming rights for both the stadium and field (is that a thing in football like it is in basketball?) could generate some serious money for this project that may be needed.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The field is already named Priore Field after donations for the field turf
0 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

SGreenwell wrote: 10 months ago
Steve81 wrote: 10 months ago If you are going FBS, you need to get off the pot quickly, before the vote to increase the FBS fee from 5k to 5M.

You keep banging this drum, but I don't think there is any serious momentum for URI to do this. You might as well post about how we better start funding the school a lot more if we want to be serious about joining the Ivy League.
Definitely agree. If you read my posts on different forums, my very optimistic view was 10%. Which is extremely low. This was probably my last post on the subject. Did notice in the football budget money for a case of duct tape, Good luck and seriously, how we got artificial turf and lightening during our FCS days was spending the money from a FBS body bag game to make improvements. Good luck with Meade as it is in poor shape for the CAA (caption obvious)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

So none of it matters as URI has absolutely ZERO intention of going FBS.
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago
So none of it matters as URI has absolutely ZERO intention of going FBS.
URI may not have a choice if the entire CAA goes FBS.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago The field is already named Priore Field after donations for the field turf
Thanks, was not aware of that. That is recent so there will be no field naming rights available. Still wonder if they will consider changing the name of the stadium for a certain donation number. if it is a viable option politically, I would definitely try to do this.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Obviously, the north* side is tight, but the south side has room for stands, although it gets close to the stream. Not sure what environmental restraint exists with development in that area.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

RhodySK
-No,small spot up against the west side walkup ramp. been there for years.

Plenty of wasted space at Meade. The "stadium" has somehow contracted since the 80's.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Good stuff here!

No matter what is done to Meade I think it’s obvious it will be a horse shoe type stadium. Stands on each sideline and the south end zone.
Let’s just hope it’s all connected and you walk on a concourse to each section from one end to another. I’m ok with closing it in real tight. Makes for better noise.

Oh yea and please could we finally bring the scoreboard in the stadium. Right now I feel like it’s stuck on the other side of the pond. Lol
0 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB1 »

Rhodysk wrote: 10 months ago Good stuff here!

No matter what is done to Meade I think it’s obvious it will be a horse shoe type stadium. Stands on each sideline and the south end zone.
Let’s just hope it’s all connected and you walk on a concourse to each section from one end to another. I’m ok with closing it in real tight. Makes for better noise.

Oh yea and please could we finally bring the scoreboard in the stadium. Right now I feel like it’s stuck on the other side of the pond. Lol
There's not going to be a wrap around stadium. Last year the team posted 2 renderings on the Rhody Football twitter page (it's pinned on the page) The first was a single level with endzone to endzone seats and new press box. The second was a similar design but double decker, similar to Albany's.

The capacity will likely be on the 8500-9k range, and quite frankly, that's all we need. The stadium will be loud given the tightness of the space and surrounding buildings. We'll have the best game viewing experience in the conference.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If this was 5 years ago I would say that is a solid plan but still would like capacity to be closer to 10k with the ability to expand to 15k. But now with the seismic shift in the athletic landscape it seems it’s go big…meaning FBS, or go home. I would hope we have visionaries in the athletic department who are looking to get ahead of things and not just catch up. Because just catching up means you are always behind. You can let things happen that you react to or you can make things happen. These are also my sentiments regarding the A10 management.

Let’s be honest, whatever we end up with we will be stuck with for the next 50-75 years…
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

This is URI, the Athletic department is not finaciially proactive enough to keep their current football facilities up to FCS standards. Nevermind competing with regional FBS programs, UConn and BC- yes BC is private but being in the ACC has helped their revenue head in the positive direction. URI and UMass should have went FBS at the same time as UConn. However a couple huge boosters would have had to step up for the Rams football program to sustain financial stabilty.
Back to Meade stadium- the east side grand stand should have a capacity of 10-11k. Then have 3k for seating in one endzone. Scoreboard in the other end zone. What is the logic with making it less? Does URI plan on building a football only facilty closer to the highways? From what I am reading Kingston sounds similar to Storrs when it comes to local yocals losing their minds over traffic/parking when it comes to football games
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

When UConn went FBS they had immediate entrance into a BCS conference and a 40,000 seat stadium, that's a massive difference than what UMass has dealt with and what URI would have dealt with. UMass has been a mess in the FBS, and despite their original starting position UConn hasn't been that much better. Maybe looking to UConn as a guide on how to run a football program isn't the best way of looking at things
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Just because things were one way in the past doesn’t mean it has to stay that way. Don’t blame others for your situation, make it happen if you want it. Just because others failed doesn’t mean you will, there are lessons that can be learned from their experiences. It may not be feasible but I’d like to know why we think so.
Last edited by RIFan 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Was hoping for a Delaware or Stony Brook situation, instead it looks like we are getting Albany (first one in list).

I do agree that the locals are notorious for trying to sabotage any sort of development, but that's everywhere in the state. Even in the middle of Providence, where the Miriam Hospital is, the hospital had to sign all sorts of agreements beforehand that they couldn't make the buildings more than X amt of stories tall, could only have a certain amt of parking directly around the hospital, had to direct 70-80% of the parking off campus and shuttle employees in, so to not disturb the neighbors, etc.

They originally wanted to build a parking garage right near the hospital that would be mostly underground and the neighborhood put the kibosh on that.

That's everywhere, it's just more visible where URI is because it's rural, and those people want farmland and nothing else around them. They can suffer a traffic jam once every other week, or every third week, during the football season for a few hours, it's not going to kill them. It's just a stadium.
Last edited by jcru 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

NIMBY is not unique to any area…it’s everywhere.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

yep
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, as far as Albany and what we are getting, just take a look at the very first video posted, 24 seconds in:

That's pretty much identical to the double decker renderings we saw. That's fine. For now, for 2023.

Clearly this will not be the last time this stadium will be expanded, however.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 10 months ago Was hoping for a Delaware or Stony Brook situation, instead it looks like we are getting Albany (first one in list).

I do agree that the locals are notorious for trying to sabotage any sort of development, but that's everywhere in the state. Even in the middle of Providence, where the Miriam Hospital is, the hospital had to sign all sorts of agreements beforehand that they couldn't make the buildings more than X amt of stories tall, could only have a certain amt of parking directly around the hospital, had to direct 70-80% of the parking off campus and shuttle employees in, so to not disturb the neighbors, etc.

They originally wanted to build a parking garage right near the hospital that would be mostly underground and the neighborhood put the kibosh on that.

That's everywhere, it's just more visible where URI is because it's rural, and those people want farmland and nothing else around them. They can suffer a traffic jam once every other week, or every third week, during the football season for a few hours, it's not going to kill them. It's just a stadium.
I just don't see how we can draw any type of conclusion yet on what stadium we're getting, especially when we're comparing the main home sidelines of Albany and Stony Brook, which are fairly similar. You're basing that on one of two low detail concepts that are 5 years old. Maybe we want to wait for real details before shitting on what this $42 million renovation will look like
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Maybe.

I'm basing it on the information we have available to us. If you know differently, then let us know.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02,

Where was I shitting on anything? I literally said I would be happy with anything.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You know what, that's fair jcru, I wouldn't say you were shitting on it when saying you were hoping for one design over another, I was too strong on that.

I would say that there's already a tenor taking hold where people aren't just hoping for things out of this new stadium but already ready to act like it's not enough when all we really know is we're investing $42 million into renovating Meade and the renovations will take place after the 2024 season. I would say wait for details and an actual design and not just vague concepts and assumptions before ready to pounce.

Also, I will say that a year ago this time it was unthinkable that the state would contribute to fixing Meade. Then during the football season rumors came out that we'd be getting funding. Then the Governor proposed $43.3 million for Meade and Slade track. We were over the moon with that, then Thorr and President Parlange went to the General Assembly and instead of the $43.3 million for two facilities got $65.8 million for six facilities. They are not our older brothers' or fathers' University administrators and I'm going to give them a VERY long leash on these projects because to this point they've shown they've earned it
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I completely agree.

I do think it will be like Albany, but nicer than what Albany has on that one side. The Ryan Center has a good amt of flair, and it will probably be designed to match that. Albany only has one elevator tower on the Left side, and the renderings for the two tier seating we saw had two towers and was symmetrical, for instance.

I do think however, like Albany, it will say something like, 9,000-9,500 seat stadium, upgradable to 16,500 (or whatever it takes to go FBS at some point in the future). It makes sense, to have the architect include provisions for that, since no one can determine the future.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The two level design reminded me more of New Hampshire than Albany. Then again, they had two different concepts, so they're clearly not married to anything yet, and I find the early 2000 model that came out under Stowers to be more detailed than the two that were done in 2018. That's why I'm not really reading too much into anything yet
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago
jcru wrote: 10 months ago

The north end would seem to be the logical place for a large video-board provided the sight lines are good. The slight angle to the west (position of the sun for most games) there however might be problematic.
So I looked at Googlemaps to see where other teams have their videoboard. As best I can tell this is what we're looking at:

Albany - southwest end zone
Campbell - northeast end zone
Delaware - northwest end zone corner
Elon - northeast corner
Hampton - southeast end zone
Maine - south end zone
Monmouth - west end zone
New Hampshire - northwest end zone
North Carolina A&T - north end zone
Richmond - northeast end zone
Stony Brook - north end zone
Towson - west end zone
Villanova - north corner
William and Mary - south end zone
Brown - northwest end zone
Bryant - northwest corner

So no real trends on where teams are putting the videoboard, seems like wherever they have room is where they put it. If that's the case I wouldn't think putting it behind the northwest end zone would be too big of an issue. I don't remember any issues with the Brown videoboard due to glare and sun a couple of years ago, the biggest issues seemed to be size and distance, and their field is angled more to the west
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Does anyone think the addition of Bryant to the CAA changes anything in regards to what we should be looking at for stadium capacity?

To me it is more imperative than ever that we are in that 10,500 to 15,000 range. Now that they're a direct competitor we need our stadium to be the differentiator between us and I'm sure Bryant will be looking to increase capacity based on their overall attitude for athletics and now being in the CAA
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Does anyone think the addition of Bryant to the CAA changes anything in regards to what we should be looking at for stadium capacity?

To me it is more imperative than ever that we are in that 10,500 to 15,000 range. Now that they're a direct competitor we need our stadium to be the differentiator between us and I'm sure Bryant will be looking to increase capacity based on their overall attitude for athletics and now being in the CAA
I must have missed this. When did this happen? I thought they joined the Northeast Conference just last year in all sports but football which was in the Big South. They are now in the CAA for football only? Or all sports? Not happy that they are now in the same football conference as us if this is the case. Yes it would be important if they are a direct competitor in the same state, but not sure how more money just magically shows up. I mean you can have more seats but at what cost to the quality of the stadium. It would be nice to do both but not sure that is happening with the budget they have.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 8 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Does anyone think the addition of Bryant to the CAA changes anything in regards to what we should be looking at for stadium capacity?

I must have missed this. When did this happen? I thought they joined the Northeast Conference just last year in all sports but football which was in the Big South. They are now in the CAA for football only? Or all sports? Not happy that they are now in the same football conference as us if this is the case. Yes it would be important if they are a direct competitor in the same state, but not sure how more money just magically shows up. I mean you can have more seats but at what cost to the quality of the stadium. It would be nice to do both but not sure that is happening with the budget they have.
Just announced this morning that they'll be in the CAA for football only starting in the fall of 2024. All other sports will remain in the America East.

They left the Northeast Conference starting with the 2022-23 year for the America East, that's why football was moved to the Big South last year
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Bryant joins CAA Football

Unread post by RF1 »

Bryant Football accepts invitation to join CAA Football in 2024
https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/f ... 0809it8xo5
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 8 months ago Everything is bigger in Texas.

https://x.com/txfblife/status/169184558 ... P6S5eASrqQ
Nice! Could still bowl in one end and add even more seats if necessary. Good forward thinking.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

What would that cost to build in RI? Double the $42?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

At least it would last more than 2 years, unlike Texas construction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Sta ... en,_Texas)
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Will new Meade have a golf simulator under the grandstand like Eagle?
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

According to this article there will be a capacity of 6000, although it's unclear if that means the capacity of the new East stands will be 6000 bringing Meade capacity up to 8000 or if the East stands will have a capacity of 4000 bringing the total up to 6000. I think this is a mistake, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to be competitive long-term with New Hampshire and Maine if our stadium capacity is so much lower than their stadiums. Sounds like the timeline is tearing down the East stands and press box right after the 2024 season, construction throughout 2025 with the football and lacrosse teams needing to find temporary homes for the year, then opening in fall 2026.

https://rhodycigar.com/2023/10/19/new-v ... novations/
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Certainly is underwhelming. It’s an improved East stands which is good but not terribly enticing.
1 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I kind of had a feeling this would end up being the case. Sounds like just some new stands and a press box, while great and badly needed, is a bit underwhelming.
1 x