Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago

Creighton center Ryan Kalkbrenner also returning.
No one messes with the Godfather...?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The Godfather made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Godfather's Pizza is our favorite cheap chain pizza. They have a decent buffalo chicken pizza, as well as monkey bread. Somewhat surprising they're in the NIL game, but I think they're more midwest / central U.S., so it kind of makes sense.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Creighton Pizza promo

7AAC34D6-6F13-4576-964C-BD007C341BB7.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tie to Godfather’s Pizza is the CEO

485E5523-E6A9-4136-A0EA-B46EFA57E9A4.jpeg
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

No surprise there!!!!
NIL is having a major negative impact on the A10 and I believe it is going to get worse.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

so...average top 3 players on each A10 team get $35K? If that's the case, shouldn't be that expensive to get competitive...
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Just an fyi as I am not sure if anyone posted this prior but, per a 6/9/23 story by Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated, the Chief Counsel of the IRS sent out a memo stating donations to NIL collectives are not tax exempt.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 10 months ago Just an fyi as I am not sure if anyone posted this prior but, per a 6/9/23 story by Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated, the Chief Counsel of the IRS sent out a memo stating donations to NIL collectives are not tax exempt.
Ooh...change-gamer? (Not sure why anyone thought they would be, but....y'never know)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago so...average top 3 players on each A10 team get $35K? If that's the case, shouldn't be that expensive to get competitive...
So $35k NIL and $35k tuition and fees. $70k. If they suck they are getting booed and that is a fact.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

They are getting paid…not amateurs anymore, I suppose they will be treated as such.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My guess is that, not every guy is getting paid. Can the non-paid get booed, too?
Will that be a stat in the 'program'* sheet of paper that lists the players, that I make into a paper airplane? Add another column after weight, "NILDO", and if it's none, take creative license... 'squat', 'jack', ''lower case 'nil'", "NIL-no."etc....

*Little did I know that my actual "programs" (and I do have a bunch) from 2015-2017ish...would be the end of an era...
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 10 months ago Just an fyi as I am not sure if anyone posted this prior but, per a 6/9/23 story by Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated, the Chief Counsel of the IRS sent out a memo stating donations to NIL collectives are not tax exempt.
Ooh...change-gamer? (Not sure why anyone thought they would be, but....y'never know)
Not tax deduction unless it is used as advertising for a business.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

From todays projo: Saudi Arabia has used its vast financial resources to ingrain itself in Western sports; which league will it target next?

Possibly college football and basketball…

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 330586007/
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RIFan wrote: 10 months ago From todays projo: Saudi Arabia has used its vast financial resources to ingrain itself in Western sports; which league will it target next?

Possibly college football and basketball…

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 330586007/
Thanks for posting, RIFan. Interesting read. The Saudi’s could really cause some major disruption to our sports landscape if some controls are not put in place. We shall see.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Student Athlete is becoming extinct!!!!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I have been saying this same thing since they invented NIL.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rod Tidwell said it best “Show me the money!”
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Mike Locksley is making $5.5M this year and by the end of his current contract he’ll be making $6.7M.

If he’s so concerned why doesn’t he break off a tiny piece of that and pay the kids that supposedly will only come for cash.

He’s 23-54 in his career, a majority of that before the big bad NIL came for his super awesome recruiting classes.

I’ll never understand these absurdly overcompensated coaches who have their guys, especially football players, literally putting their bodies on the line, and they have the balls to say there’s an issue with those kids getting their share of the money they earn.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago Mike Locksley is making $5.5M this year and by the end of his current contract he’ll be making $6.7M.

If he’s so concerned why doesn’t he break off a tiny piece of that and pay the kids that supposedly will only come for cash.

He’s 23-54 in his career, a majority of that before the big bad NIL came for his super awesome recruiting classes.

I’ll never understand these absurdly overcompensated coaches who have their guys, especially football players, literally putting their bodies on the line, and they have the balls to say there’s an issue with those kids getting their share of the money they earn.
Because in many of these situations, the player hasn't earned anything. As far as I'm concerned, a players max compensation shouldn't be determined by a donors wallet. I also don't think it's fair to cap NIL because obviously Livvy Dunne and Joe the benchwarmer shouldn't be treated equal. Make a formula that using professional metrics for contact (social media following) allows for players to actually be paid what they are worth, something like that...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 10 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago Mike Locksley is making $5.5M this year and by the end of his current contract he’ll be making $6.7M.

Because in many of these situations, the player hasn't earned anything. As far as I'm concerned, a players max compensation shouldn't be determined by a donors wallet. I also don't think it's fair to cap NIL because obviously Livvy Dunne and Joe the benchwarmer shouldn't be treated equal. Make a formula that using professional metrics for contact (social media following) allows for players to actually be paid what they are worth, something like that...
If it was based on actual marketing value 99.8% of college athletes wouldn’t make more than a couple thousand dollars.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 10 months ago

If it was based on actual marketing value 99.8% of college athletes wouldn’t make more than a couple thousand dollars.
Which would be what they are worth, no?

Here is a very simple formula I would use...

Any player can make 10% of their social media followers monthly...

So a player with 100k followers can earn up to 10k per month, a player with 1 million followers $100k per month.

It semi-eliminates pay-for-play while not capping earnings.

To me something like that is players earning what they are actually worth.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

So a player with 100k followers can earn up to 10k per month, a player with 1 million followers $100k per month.

So then the donors pay an Indian click farm to get a million bots to follow their players.

It is what it is. If coaches are so concerned than pay from your own pockets.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The more logical framework IMO is tying them to the revenue they generate - so a formulaic manner of sharing revs generated from ticket sales, media rights and merchandise. That is the crux of the argument. The NIL thing is all a work around bc in reality none of them (beyond a few outliers) have significant marketing value.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The more logical framework IMO is tying them to the revenue they generate - so a formulaic manner of sharing revs generated from ticket sales, media rights and merchandise. That is the crux of the argument. The NIL thing is all a work around bc in reality none of them (beyond a few outliers) have significant marketing value.
College accounting is one of the most byzantine things out there, up there with the movie business. College football somehow loses millions of dollars every year for every school involved, yet coaches keep making more money and there is an arms race when it comes to facilities. I think there's a zero percent chance you can accurately account for, say, the revenue that a top recruit brings to a program. Ultimately, I think coaches are most upset that they've lost control, power and leverage over players. If you can't get players to buy in to your program and vision, especially if your team sucks, they're going to transfer.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SGreenwell wrote: 10 months ago

College accounting is one of the most byzantine things out there, up there with the movie business. College football somehow loses millions of dollars every year for every school involved, yet coaches keep making more money and there is an arms race when it comes to facilities. I think there's a zero percent chance you can accurately account for, say, the revenue that a top recruit brings to a program. Ultimately, I think coaches are most upset that they've lost control, power and leverage over players. If you can't get players to buy in to your program and vision, especially if your team sucks, they're going to transfer.
The money from top level coaches is earned by the out of state prospective students they reach when the make an impact on a national stage.

Those kids pay tuition rates 2-3x in state kids, and if they wind up graduating - maybe they stay in RI, start a business or work and pay taxes here.

This is outside the obvious financial impact of a deep NCAA run for basketball.

The arms race of college basketball is most definitely worth it.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

"even if they conflict with state laws" ????? Good luck with that.

1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 10 months ago "even if they conflict with state laws" ????? Good luck with that.

Weed is legal in RI but my employer has a zero-tolerance drug policy and would be unhappy if I lit up a joint (same for drinking). It's basically their terms and conditions, the alternative is leaving the NCAA.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It’s possible the IRS will disqualify the collectives as nonprofit. That could slow things down
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Stuff like this makes me feel the sports world has really gone through the looking glass.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

always nice seeing kids being kids
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

So is T ball and the equivalent the last bastions of amateur sports and for the love of the game?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe not, my grandson’s parents asked if they wanted their son to move up to coach pitch early on in second year T ball.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

It's not like any of this is all that new. Like, you can go back to the 1970s to find examples.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Social media star and Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover girl Olivia Dunne has hinted at the amazing amounts companies are willing to throw at her for a paid post.
Dunne, 20, is heading into her senior year at Louisiana State University as a member of the school’s gymnastics team. She has more than 4 million Instagram followers and 7.6 million acolytes on TikTok, meaning her online posts are seen millions of times.
That has made her the top female social media influencer, worth an estimated $3.3 million and climbing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu-gymnast-ol ... p_catchall
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 9 months ago Social media star and Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover girl Olivia Dunne has hinted at the amazing amounts companies are willing to throw at her for a paid post.
Dunne, 20, is heading into her senior year at Louisiana State University as a member of the school’s gymnastics team. She has more than 4 million Instagram followers and 7.6 million acolytes on TikTok, meaning her online posts are seen millions of times.
That has made her the top female social media influencer, worth an estimated $3.3 million and climbing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu-gymnast-ol ... p_catchall
She's a different breed. Her NIL deals are legit companies paying her to spread their brand on her social media.

Most of the men's players are just getting paid by collectives who only exist to pay the players, and in turn advertising the collectives so they can keep getting paid.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Arch Manning (yet to play a single down in college football) and Caleb Williams (likely 1st pick in next year's draft) both will make more money in NIL this year than Joe Burrow will make for the Cincinnati Bengals.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Arch Manning (yet to play a single down in college football) and Caleb Williams (likely 1st pick in next year's draft) both will make more money in NIL this year than Joe Burrow will make for the Cincinnati Bengals.
Bizarro world.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Will they make it from legit corp sponsors or corrupt college collectives? I’m down with Nike paying to sponsor some kids posts, but I hate the BS collectives.

If people want to follow some college athletes social media and they have hundreds of thousands of them (or millions) of these “followers” and some legit company wants to have the kid promote their product then good for them.

These collectives are artificially making a market where none exists for 99% of college athletes for their name, image or likeness.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Arch Manning (yet to play a single down in college football) and Caleb Williams (likely 1st pick in next year's draft) both will make more money in NIL this year than Joe Burrow will make for the Cincinnati Bengals.
This is kind of cherry picking to fit your argument, though. Burrow's salary is like $1m this year, because he already got a $23m signing bonus. His yearly contract - still on his rookie deal - is worth about $9m a year when averaged out. Arch Manning (around $3m) and Bronny James (who's NIL is estimated at like $12m) are getting paid based on family legacy. Caleb Williams NIL is reportedly about $2.6m.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 8 months ago
This is kind of cherry picking to fit your argument, though. Burrow's salary is like $1m this year, because he already got a $23m signing bonus. His yearly contract - still on his rookie deal - is worth about $9m a year when averaged out. Arch Manning (around $3m) and Bronny James (who's NIL is estimated at like $12m) are getting paid based on family legacy. Caleb Williams NIL is reportedly about $2.6m.
Caleb Williams will probably make more money next year if he stays at USC rather than entering the draft, even if he goes #1.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Update: maybe this should be in he transfer carousel thread…up to Mod’s.

I think this is the right place for coach Cal’s thoughts on the portal:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... e-one-done
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RIFan wrote: 8 months ago Update: maybe this should be in he transfer carousel thread…up to Mod’s.

He's not wrong.

I just don't see this gravy train of NIL money lasting for more than a few years. The big donors/collectives are going to start to realize that they can't buy an NCAA title, no matter what they do. Paying $400k for one year of a kid who can just shop around and leave the next year or jump to the pros is going to wear thin once those investors realize the lack of ROI.

The more these guys get burned, the less they're going to open up their wallets for future transfers.

UConn was incredibly light in NIL last year. They won a title.

The top payout schools? UNC - didn't make it. Kentucky? 2nd round. Kansas? 2nd round.

When donors give to schools - they a) get something - longevity with access/name on a building etc, and b) tax write offs.

When donors give to NIL they get a player for 1 year. They can't write it off. They're just throwing money away with no guarantee that they win anything.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago
RIFan wrote: 8 months ago Update: maybe this should be in he transfer carousel thread…up to Mod’s.

He's not wrong.

I just don't see this gravy train of NIL money lasting for more than a few years. The big donors/collectives are going to start to realize that they can't buy an NCAA title, no matter what they do. Paying $400k for one year of a kid who can just shop around and leave the next year or jump to the pros is going to wear thin once those investors realize the lack of ROI.

The more these guys get burned, the less they're going to open up their wallets for future transfers.

UConn was incredibly light in NIL last year. They won a title.

The top payout schools? UNC - didn't make it. Kentucky? 2nd round. Kansas? 2nd round.

When donors give to schools - they a) get something - longevity with access/name on a building etc, and b) tax write offs.

When donors give to NIL they get a player for 1 year. They can't write it off. They're just throwing money away with no guarantee that they win anything.
I think you're absolutely right. We're in a tidal wave of change with athletes getting an extra year of eligibility due to Covid, free transferring, and NIL all happening at the same time. It's a shock to the system, but eventually it will slow down and we'll get to a normal state. The extra year is already getting ready to go away completely and the NCAA is now limiting free transfers after the first one. Like you said, eventually people are going to realize they're not getting a lot for their NIL contributions and that market will correct itself
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines