Archie on KMac show.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Archie on KMac show.

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 10 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago

The addition by subtraction is huge.

Malik, while an important leader and great guy who gave a lot to this program and helped lay a foundation, lacked the talent to see a lot of minutes on this new team. I would guess that Fuchs and Green will be significant upgrades.

Foumena and Brown are significant upgrades over Tchikou and Samb.

Montgomery is an upgrade over Carey. I liked Carey’s athleticism and effort but he was an absolute liability with the ball in his hands.

Bray showed up once every couple games and was a detriment where he didn’t. Louie/Ways may not have top end scoring that he did, but I can’t imagine their floor is as low as his was - plus the team issues.

Ish was a loss, of course he was, but let’s not act like adding a kid who averaged 17 a game is nothing. The A10 wasn’t some world beater league either - but it’s not insane to think we won’t be losing too much in the scoring department from him.

Idk why so many people are so sour on this team and staff, but I’ll happily unjam your heads from your asses when this team turns it on.
Blue Man, I don't think there are any fans here (possibly a very few) that are sour on this staff or our team.

Just because we are tempering our expectations for this season "only" doesn't mean we aren't optimistic or enthusiastic about our future with this roster and our coaches.

We have plenty of question marks including several key pieces that have very limited Div.1 experience.

Although we don't have any exceptional teams in the A10, there is a good balance with lots of depth in our conference. Many of the teams return a lot of quality players and others have added proven contributors.

Overall, I like what the staff has done with building our roster.
I just feel it is a little too early to expect much this season.
But yeah, I hope I am surprised, and this team exceeds my expectations for 23-24.
Too early to expect much? What exactly is reasonable to expect?

I dont think it's necessarily sunshine pumping when you expect this current roster that will actually have 13 scholarships available, with more experienced, more talented, bigger, more athletic players at every position to be better than last years 9 win mess.

I would get saying that if people were projecting us to be an NCAA tournament team, but blue man is just pointing out how likely it is that this team will be much better.

We should expect a big improvement. It's year two. We need Archie and his staff to get better immediately. It's his responsibility as a coach of a program that has the ability to compete for NCAA bids on a yearly basis.

Then I don't see how anyone can compare last year's roster with our current one and think we won't improve.

There's such a long list of reasons that we could easily be better than 9-22.

Archie has won championships in the A-10 before. Duane and Kenny have coached up a number of NCAA tournament level teams over the year.

Last year was a total mess. There was hardly any experience, tons of injuries and asshole Bray and his stupid family.

Consider all of that and what blueman said about the roster and then ask yourself if it's actually reasonable for anyone to temper expectations of us improving considerably.

If we somehow don't get any better or get marginally better then we got some SERIOUS problems.
I didn't say we won' be improved from last season, I expect us to be.
Though I still feel we will finish in the bottom half of the conference.

Just based on us having a brand new roster, and trying to get everything to gel.
That along with many players that will be heavily counted on, having very limited (or any) Div.1 experience.
Also comparing us at this time against the competition in our conference.
Again I will be expecting a much bigger jump in 24-25, assuming we will be keeping most of the key pieces intact.

I don't think I am alone in my thinking, will be curious to see how the A10 coaches predict us to finish in the preseason polls, along with some of the credible insiders.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man, I don't think there are any fans here (possibly a very few) that are sour on this staff or our team.

Just because we are tempering our expectations for this season "only" doesn't mean we aren't optimistic or enthusiastic about our future with this roster and our coaches.

We have plenty of question marks including several key pieces that have very limited Div.1 experience.

Although we don't have any exceptional teams in the A10, there is a good balance with lots of depth in our conference. Many of the teams return a lot of quality players and others have added proven contributors.

Overall, I like what the staff has done with building our roster.
I just feel it is a little too early to expect much this season.
But yeah, I hope I am surprised, and this team exceeds my expectations for 23-24.

I dont think it's necessarily sunshine pumping when you expect this current roster that will actually have 13 scholarships available, with more experienced, more talented, bigger, more athletic players at every position to be better than last years 9 win mess.

I would get saying that if people were projecting us to be an NCAA tournament team, but blue man is just pointing out how likely it is that this team will be much better.

We should expect a big improvement. It's year two. We need Archie and his staff to get better immediately. It's his responsibility as a coach of a program that has the ability to compete for NCAA bids on a yearly basis.

Then I don't see how anyone can compare last year's roster with our current one and think we won't improve.

Archie has won championships in the A-10 before. Duane and Kenny have coached up a number of NCAA tournament level teams over the year.

Last year was a total mess. There was hardly any experience, tons of injuries and asshole Bray and his stupid family.

Consider all of that and what blueman said about the roster and then ask yourself if it's actually reasonable for anyone to temper expectations of us improving considerably.

If we somehow don't get any better or get marginally better then we got some SERIOUS problems.

Just based on us having a brand new roster, and trying to get everything to gel.
That along with many players that will be heavily counted on, having very limited (or any) Div.1 experience.
Again I will be expecting a much bigger jump in 24-25, assuming we will be keeping most of the key pieces intact.

I don't think I am alone in my thinking, will be curious to see how the A10 coaches predict us to finish in the preseason polls, along with some of the credible insiders.
Yeah gelling is an issue, but almost everyone deals with that on a yearly basis with the portal and the A-10 is certainly no exception to the rule there.

I'm going to want a top half finish this year. The A-10 still sucks big time until further notice and I don't think there's any good excuses for Arch to not have us in the top half in year two. If there are terrible injury issues I'll reconsider that position.

Not sure I agree with us having to count on several players with little experience.

House is going into his 4th year
Luis 4th year
Bilau 5th year of college basketball. Yes he's had injuries, but he's had enough experience and should be back at some point during the season
David Green 4th year
Zek third year
Weston is a redshirt sophomore. That's plenty of experience.
Tyson Brown has two years of Juco. Don't usually worry about upperclassmen who were juco's
Fuchs just won a championship in one of Europe's best basketball leagues. That's better than D1 college basketball by a significant margin lol.
Rory played a lot last year
Foumena has developed considerably in his redshirt year.
I mean Always has a year of Juco under his belt.
Then the two freshmen.

So yeah. Not really going to be relying on a bunch of inexperienced players.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yeah gelling is an issue, but almost everyone deals with that on a yearly basis with the portal and the A-10 is certainly no exception to the rule there.

I'm going to want a top half finish this year. The A-10 still sucks big time until further notice and I don't think there's any good excuses for Arch to not have us in the top half in year two. If there are terrible injury issues I'll reconsider that position.

Not sure I agree with us having to count on several players with little experience.

Luis 4th year
Bilau 5th year of college basketball. Yes he's had injuries, but he's had enough experience and should be back at some point during the season
David Green 4th year
Zek third year
Tyson Brown has two years of Juco. Don't usually worry about upperclassmen who were juco's
Fuchs just won a championship in one of Europe's best basketball leagues. That's better than D1 college basketball by a significant margin lol.
Then the two freshmen.

PRT, I actually said limited Div.1 experience for some players that will probably be counnted on.
I realize of course that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

I expect House, Luis, and Zek to be the leaders.
Green, I am still not sure about and he also needs a waiver, which the staff seems to expect him to get.

Bilau only played 12 games at Wichita State, and then Juco.
Last year injuries derailed his season here, playing only 8 games.
Again not sure of his return date and how effective he will be.

Weston and Rory are only in their 2nd season and still have things to work on to develop their game.

Fuchs does have international experience, but still coming in as a freshman.
It sounds like Archie is very high on him.

The 2 Juco's (Ways and Brown) had success at that level, hopefully their game transitions well to the A10.
Some players make that move-up faster and better than others, hoping they do.

Foumena who RS last season, has yet to play his first college game.

Then of course the other 2 freshman, probably a little more excited about Cam than Dubs at this point, but who knows.
Last edited by Jersey77 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Before hearing Arch on the show talking up the team I was probly in the 15-16, 8-10 range now I may go 17-14 , 10-8
I tend to be on the optimistic side and I’m a big fan of Arch
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Luis 4th year
David Green 4th year
Zek third year
Then the two freshmen.

PRT, I actually said limited Div.1 experience for some players that will probably be counnted on.
I realize of course that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

I expect House, Luis, and Zek to be the leaders.
Green, I am still not sure about and he also needs a waiver, which the staff seems to expect him to get.

Bilau only played 12 games at Wichita State, and then Juco.
Last year injuries derailed his season here, playing only 8 games.
Again not sure of his return date and how effective he will be.

Weston and Rory are only in their 2nd season and still have things to work on to develop their game.

Fuchs does have international experience, but still coming in as a freshman.
It sounds like Archie is very high on him.

The 2 Juco's (Ways and Brown) had success at that level, hopefully their game transitions well to the A10.
Some players make that move-up faster and better than others, hoping they do.

Foumena who RS last season, has yet to play his first college game.

Then of course the other 2 freshman, probably a little more excited about Cam than Dubs at this point, but who knows.
So I feel good about the frontcourt. Fuchs is legit, Brown, Foumena and Bilau are all better than Samb and Tchikou

I feel good about House, Zek and Luis

The real key is what we get out of Weston, Always and Cam.

Game changer if Weston starts living up to his 4 star ranking and if Always looks anywhere close to his highlight reel then we could be solid.

Make open threes lol
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PRT, a little too early for me to tell how good or solid we are or should be.

Not sure your expectations this season other than much improvement, although I think you had mentioned anything below a top half finish, would be a huge disappointment.

So far, just glancing at some of the rosters in our conference, I still have a difficult time seeing us in the top 7.
But for me, I don't consider that a failure, as long as I see a bunch of good pieces that we can build upon for the following year.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Last year, I’d hoped to see steady improvement where we wouldn’t be an easy out in the tournament. That didn’t happen, obviously, due to injury and the Bray issue. My expectations this year aren’t much different. Trying to predict finish or record with a largely new group is impossible.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Expecting 10 more wins, minimum
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago Expecting 10 more wins, minimum
Is that all? :)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It would be a good start. I think it's always going to be year to year from now on and the idea of 'making progress and keeping key pieces' to get better has gone the way of the applecart. Model shifting more towards GM type role with year to year shuffle than coach/player/program relationshipping...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Question regarding player movement: When a JC player transfers to a D1 school, does that count as a transfer? In other words, if a kid like Always Wright transferred again from URI to another D1 school, would he have to sit a year?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 10 months ago Question regarding player movement: When a JC player transfers to a D1 school, does that count as a transfer? In other words, if a kid like Always Wright transferred again from URI to another D1 school, would he have to sit a year?
It doesn’t count as a transfer, they aren’t in the portal. He wouldn’t have to sit.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like Arch said Always won’t contribute much this season so not sure if he will be part of the rotation
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Redshirt candidate?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 10 months ago Redshirt candidate?
Nope, I'm expecting 20-25 mpg, but as long as my bi-monthly NIL-dough clears, I'm good

ETA: I am not Always Wright. (See what I did there?)
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

reef wrote: 10 months ago Sounds like Arch said Always won’t contribute much this season so not sure if he will be part of the rotation
Yeah I got that impression too. We'll see.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

30 more...
0 x