2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago A UNH fan posted on the America East Forum that URI will host New Hampshire in a buy game on December 21, 2023. The poster cites the D1 docket as its source for the game. I however could not find anything on the D1 Docket blog or twitter account to back this up.

If the game does occur, it would actually be against one of the Rams most played opponents of all time. The team have met 114 times with URI leading the series 96-18. The programs first met in 1906 and long played each other home and away each season for decades when they were both in the same conference. Since going to different leagues they have not met often having last played in 2013. The Wildcats last win was back in 1983. URI is 48-3 since 1960.
Since we're talking UNH, I wish we would schedule UVM.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago
RF1 wrote: 11 months ago A UNH fan posted on the America East Forum that URI will host New Hampshire in a buy game on December 21, 2023. The poster cites the D1 docket as its source for the game. I however could not find anything on the D1 Docket blog or twitter account to back this up.

If the game does occur, it would actually be against one of the Rams most played opponents of all time. The team have met 114 times with URI leading the series 96-18. The programs first met in 1906 and long played each other home and away each season for decades when they were both in the same conference. Since going to different leagues they have not met often having last played in 2013. The Wildcats last win was back in 1983. URI is 48-3 since 1960.
UVM is certainly the better program regularly winning the AE and going to the NCAA Tournament in most recent years. It however may have higher contract demands (even H&H series or higher buy amount). On the URI side, it might want UNH instead for a better win probability.

Strangely, URI has not played Vermont anywhere near as much as the other New England flagships. While UNH, Maine, UConn, and UMass are all in the top 7 most played opponents all-time for URI with 100 or more games, it has only met Vermont 48 times.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If anything our OOC record should be a lot better with a few cupcakes showing up on the schedule
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

UNH is in fact on the d1 docket Rhody schedule:
https://d1docket.blogspot.com/p/2022-23 ... ckets.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 11 months ago
ramster wrote: 11 months ago Whoopsy

7C5417EC-D176-4544-841A-D8754CB1EC83.png
Wow. Is that in the print edition?
Yes, it was in the Print Edition

A5B32ABC-A090-4F98-9B62-CB9538597332.png
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CamsRams wrote: 11 months ago UNH is in fact on the d1 docket Rhody schedule:
https://d1docket.blogspot.com/p/2022-23 ... ckets.html
Wildcats! Led by new HC Nathan Davis, fresh off finishing up at Bucknell, where he went just 40-70 over the past four seasons, culminating in his recent firing. How little old UNH lucks into a guy like that....ya have to wonder. With top player, and cousin (?) to the late Charlie Daniels and also local bar namesake, Clarence O. Daniels...gonna be a wild(cat) one at the Ry!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago

UVM is certainly the better program regularly winning the AE and going to the NCAA Tournament in most recent years. It however may have higher contract demands (even H&H series or higher buy amount). On the URI side, it might want UNH instead for a better win probability.

Strangely, URI has not played Vermont anywhere near as much as the other New England flagships. While UNH, Maine, UConn, and UMass are all in the top 7 most played opponents all-time for URI with 100 or more games, it has only met Vermont 48 times.
I wouldn't mind playing Vermont on the road. Sometimes us mid-majors gotta get creative with our SOS.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

sevegny7 wrote: 11 months ago
Good game. Yale is always at the top of the Ivy
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 11 months ago
Our OOC schedule looking pretty competitive so far! Yale, Northwestern, Miss State/Wash State, Charleston, and PC.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Given where we are, thus far, it's a pretty good schedule.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 11 months ago
Our OOC schedule looking pretty competitive so far! Yale, Northwestern, Miss State/Wash State, Charleston, and PC.
Plus Seton Hall as well
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago

Plus Seton Hall as well
Totally forgot about that one. Too bad we played the home game during the Covid year with no fans in attendance.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago Strangely, URI has not played Vermont anywhere near as much as the other New England flagships. While UNH, Maine, UConn, and UMass are all in the top 7 most played opponents all-time for URI with 100 or more games, it has only met Vermont 48 times.
I don't know why anyone would think this stat is strange. UMass and URI chose one path. UConn was also on that path once upon a time, but broke free and moved up.

Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire chose a completely different path. Completely-different.

And in Vermont's case, they ditched football, and just chose to be a basketball school, in a small conference, as the dominant team in that conference. They go to the NCAAT all the time, men's and women's, and they have very little interest in an at large bid. They don't care about NET or whatever they are calling that these days. Therefore, why would they want to play URI, or UMass? That does nothing for them.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Can you imagine the call by either the URI or UMass head coach or AD every year to Vermont?

Goes something like this:

URI/UMass: Hi, just calling to see if you would like to set up a home and home against an old rival.

Vermont: No, that's ok.

URI/UMass: well, how about just an away game over there at your civic center or whatever?

Vermont: No, we'd rather not.

URI/UMass: ok, well how about we agree to play in your gymnasium, one time only?

Vermont: No, all set.

URI/UMass: well, I just thought, you know, maybe you would be interested for nostalgic reasons... ?

Vermont: No, no nostalgia on our end, that's just you.

URI/UMass: ok, well thanks for taking the call, anyway, talk to you same time next year.

Vermont: really, save yourself the phone call, we won't be interested next year either, nothing is going to change.

It's basically like calling an ex girlfriend who dumped your ass 30 years ago.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Well if there was anytime that we could convince them, would have been with Justin Mazzula, who reportedly is like a son to the Coach.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Check out that link above to see who Vermont is actually scheduling.

The only game that stands out is Toledo. I'm wondering if Vermont scheduled a game with Toledo to get a game with Toledo for their women's team as well, as a bargaining tactic, not that their women's team needed a lot of help because they too won the conference bid last year. Because Toledo is the kind of game we could really use for our women's team to help with their NET.

Vermont, who could schedule just about anyone, are probably going to use their open slots for a pair of P5 pay games. Otherwise, they keep that schedule as friendly as possible, because the only care about winning their conference.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago

Plus Seton Hall as well
If Milwaukee happens that would be a solid game too. Will be one of the top teams in the horizon.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago Can you imagine the call by either the URI or UMass head coach or AD every year to Vermont?

Goes something like this:

URI/UMass: Hi, just calling to see if you would like to set up a home and home against an old rival.

Vermont: No, that's ok.

URI/UMass: well, how about just an away game over there at your civic center or whatever?

Vermont: No, we'd rather not.

URI/UMass: ok, well how about we agree to play in your gymnasium, one time only?

Vermont: No, all set.

URI/UMass: well, I just thought, you know, maybe you would be interested for nostalgic reasons... ?

Vermont: No, no nostalgia on our end, that's just you.

URI/UMass: ok, well thanks for taking the call, anyway, talk to you same time next year.

Vermont: really, save yourself the phone call, we won't be interested next year either, nothing is going to change.

It's basically like calling an ex girlfriend who dumped your ass 30 years ago.
What the shit kind of fan fiction is this?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago
RF1 wrote: 11 months ago Strangely, URI has not played Vermont anywhere near as much as the other New England flagships. While UNH, Maine, UConn, and UMass are all in the top 7 most played opponents all-time for URI with 100 or more games, it has only met Vermont 48 times.
I don't know why anyone would think this stat is strange. UMass and URI chose one path. UConn was also on that path once upon a time, but broke free and moved up.

Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire chose a completely different path. Completely-different.

And in Vermont's case, they ditched football, and just chose to be a basketball school, in a small conference, as the dominant team in that conference. They go to the NCAAT all the time, men's and women's, and they have very little interest in an at large bid. They don't care about NET or whatever they are calling that these days. Therefore, why would they want to play URI, or UMass? That does nothing for them.

Much the same could be said for New Hampshire and Maine basketball who are in the same conference. URI has however played each of them some 100 or more games all time. Strangely, Rhody has played Vermont far less with the series under 50 games. That is a big gap. Since URI joined the A-10 some 40 years ago, it has not played any of the northern NE flagships much. Most of the difference in the number of games the Rams played UNH and Maine versus that of UVM was created prior to 1980.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Vermont was in the Yankee Conference, with URI, UMass, UConn, UMaine, and UNH, from 1945 to 1976.

That's why they played each other prior to 1980. That's 31 years, and it likely accounts for the majority of those games.

Nowadays, Vermont has no interest in playing URI. Whereas UNH and UMaine occasionally will play games with schools like URI for money.

Look at this link:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... rmont/men/

They didn't have a team prior to the formation of the Yankee Conference for 21 Years from 1925-26 to 1945-46.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't get the fascination with Vermont. Of all NE schools we have little tradition with the school - they don't play football, baseball, volleyball, and tennis, They play lacrosse and hockey and URI doesn't play those sports, so we have less opportunity for interaction with Vermont. Yes, they have upgraded their MBB program over the last 20 years and have gone to the NCAA nine times, but have been bounced in the first round every single time with the exception in 2003 when they upset Syracuse in OT. But right now they are struggling to build their new arena. After a 2019 groundbreaking, the project has stalled due to, first, the pandemic, and now by soaring construction and borrowing costs. Supposedly they need $87 million to complete project and have $39 million in hand.

It is not strange URI didn't play Vermont as much as Maine and UNH, since UVM in the years before the Yankee Conference had a bad program with a very limited regional focus. For example while URI was playing Kentucky in 1946, UVM was playing Norwich, St Michaels' and St. Lawrence. They moved the program up significantly by joining the Yankee Conference where they, in over 20 years, never won the title and usually finished in the lower half of league standings. Practically all of the URI-UVM games were played in this YC period and remember in those years it was not unusual to play games with the same opponent on consecutive days. Also remember it was UConn and URI that agitated for the break-up of the old Yankee Conference since both schools had their eyes on bigger things.

Yes, I would like to see Vermont on the schedule, but I would only play them at Ryan and no payment.

Note to jcru: UVM did have a basketball program in the years you said they did not. The link/site you used simply didn't have that information.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Northwestern’s Chase Audige staying in the draft. Rhode Island faces the wildcats at Mohegan.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

2 more weeks !
Last edited by ElmCityRhody 10 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 10 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 11 months ago Charleston baby
2 more weeks !

i said months ago i would make this happen and i did

NO DOUBT !

looking forward to raising my kids away from this BULLSHIT !
Will you be living in Charleston ECR?
Beautiful city
Lots of people from Rhode Island move to South Carolina
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

technically yes
Last edited by ElmCityRhody 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

2 more weeks !

NO DOUBT !

Nice ECR!!!! I'll be checking out Charleston and Beaufort in the near future for potential retirement sites.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

2 more weeks !

NO DOUBT !

Enjoy the third world school system lol
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodysurf wrote: 10 months ago
2 more weeks !

NO DOUBT !

Our kids are struggling to define what a woman is and who wants to be a cat today instead of math. I’m not sure that’s a stone we can collectively cast.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago

2 more weeks !

NO DOUBT !

Our kids are struggling to define what a woman is and who wants to be a cat today instead of math. I’m not sure that’s a stone we can collectively cast.
What a stupid and hurtful thing to say.
17 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

2 more weeks !

NO DOUBT !

And Blue Man is off to fight his culture war...
4 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 10 months ago
I'll say that my kid just finished 1st grade and they have no idea what a gender identity is or what CRT is (neither does the subsect of the population railing against it). It's almost like this whole "woke indoctrination" thing is pure and complete bullshit and is another thing a certain group of people throw out there when their source is "trust me, bro."
11 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Thank you
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

NO DOUBT !
0 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

Train is off the tracks on this thread...back to the 2023-2024 schedule.
5 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Rhody_JAM wrote: 10 months ago Train is off the tracks on this thread...back to the 2023-2024 schedule.
I thought there was some scheduling news wasn’t expecting this 😂
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

its a slow summer.. i'll delete !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 10 months ago
2 more weeks !

NO DOUBT !

Nice ECR!!!! I'll be checking out Charleston and Beaufort in the near future for potential retirement sites.
ECR,
That's a great place to live.
I've been to Patriots Point before and toured the USS Yorktown. In Mount Pleasant which is adjacent to Daniel. Very nice place.
You can also catch some games in North Charleston with Charleston Southern and see former Rams Tres Berry and Luis Hutchinson in action.
Good for you and your family.
South Carolina vs Clemson and/or Georgia would be well worth the tailgating experience.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Please no politics.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 10 months ago
theblueram wrote: 10 months ago

2 more weeks !

NO DOUBT !

ECR,
That's a great place to live.
I've been to Patriots Point before and toured the USS Yorktown. In Mount Pleasant which is adjacent to Daniel. Very nice place.
You can also catch some games in North Charleston with Charleston Southern and see former Rams Tres Berry and Luis Hutchinson in action.
Good for you and your family.
South Carolina vs Clemson and/or Georgia would be well worth the tailgating experience.
URI at Charleston is Sunday December 10th
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 10 months ago
What a stupid and hurtful thing to say.
Sometimes facts are just 'that way'... (shrug)
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 10 months ago

I'll say that my kid just finished 1st grade and they have no idea what a gender identity is or what CRT is (neither does the subsect of the population railing against it). It's almost like this whole "woke indoctrination" thing is pure and complete bullshit and is another thing a certain group of people throw out there when their source is "trust me, bro."
100%
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Always better to pile directly onto the speaker and assign motives than see the topic. Better chance of making it go away :lol:
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I hate when threads go off the rails into irrelevancy. When that happens I share the sentiment of Logan Roy in HBO's Succession. Happy Juneteenth!!

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... r_CWA_48rE
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

OB, For some reason I couldn’t open the link, but regardless, props for the Logan Roy reference! Big fan 👍🏼
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 10 months ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 10 months ago

100%
"Hmmm....I'm not so sure..."
M. Cuban
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Getting back to the intended topic of this thread:

URI has nine confirmed games with dates. Four games not yet known for a full maximum allowed 31 game slate. Status of a return trip to Seton Hall still in question. It has already been delayed two straight seasons as the Pirates played here in 2020. Would need three more opponents for home games if the program wanted to follow last season's original OOC schedule which had eight Ryan Center games (Milwuakee later was cancelled in season).

URI CONFIRMED OOC SCHEDULE
Monday 11/6 vs Central Connecticut
Thursday 11/9 vs Fairfield
Saturday 11/18 Hall of Fame Tip-Off, Mohegan Sun vs Northwestern
Sunday 11/19 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Mohegan Sun vs Mississippi State or Washington State
Sunday 11/26 vs Yale
Saturday 12/2 at Providence
Wednesday 12/6 vs Brown
Sunday 12/10 at Charleston
Thursday 12/21 New Hampshire
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thinking 4-5 in those 9 there maybe 5-4 ??
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 10 months ago Thinking 4-5 in those 9 there maybe 5-4 ??
Am I wrong to think 6-3 as a baseline, but potentially 7-2/8-1?

Expected wins: CCSU, Fairfield, Brown, UNH - 4-0

Tough but could/should: Yale, @ Charleston - 1-1

Tough but maybe - Miss State/WSU, @PC - 1-1

Tough, probably not, but maybe? - Northwestern - 0-1

That's how I'm thinking about the OOC right now.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

reef wrote: 10 months ago Thinking 4-5 in those 9 there maybe 5-4 ??
Am I wrong to think 6-3 as a baseline, but potentially 7-2/8-1?

Expected wins: CCSU, Fairfield, Brown, UNH - 4-0

Tough but could/should: Yale, @ Charleston - 1-1

Tough but maybe - Miss State/WSU, @PC - 1-1

Tough, probably not, but maybe? - Northwestern - 0-1

That's how I'm thinking about the OOC right now.
I would say you are wrong at 6-3. I bet you didn't have them 0-2 after home games against Quinnipiac & Texas St last season. Obviously would love a 9-0 but I think it is going to 4-5 with wins against CCSU, Fairfield, Brown, UNH. Maybe sneak out a win against Yale or Miss St/WSU. to go 5-4
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33