Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 11 months ago
rjv wrote: 11 months ago The A10 is in big trouble...as we all know.
I believe their TV contract ends 23-24 season and if they lose a few top teams what is their leverage on getting a good contract
When has the A10 ever really had leverage on getting a good TV contract though? It's not like we have some amazing deal now that we're going to lose out on. It'll most likely just be status quo with a streaming rights deal, and some TV games on the secondary sports channels like it has been for a while now.
St Joes was #1 in the country. Perhaps that was a good time? Let me know.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 11 months ago
I believe their TV contract ends 23-24 season and if they lose a few top teams what is their leverage on getting a good contract
We've been saying this for over 10 years. Yet they add schools like Loyola.
What school(s) would you have added instead that would have the networks begging us to sign a TV deal with them?
I would have negatively added and kicked schools out.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

So what does adding Loyola have to do with the A10 getting 1 bid or having other teams poached by higher level conferences? Just don't see the connection here.

I agreed with Thorr the school presidents and the conference leadership in adding Loyola.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago
So what does adding Loyola have to do with the A10 getting 1 bid or having other teams poached by higher level conferences? Just don't see the connection here.

I agreed with Thorr the school presidents and the conference leadership in adding Loyola.
Good luck with that. Trust me, they are not winning the A10 just like Mason is not winning the A10.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

When has the A10 ever really had leverage on getting a good TV contract though? It's not like we have some amazing deal now that we're going to lose out on. It'll most likely just be status quo with a streaming rights deal, and some TV games on the secondary sports channels like it has been for a while now.
St Joes was #1 in the country. Perhaps that was a good time? Let me know.
That was 20 years ago. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the media and TV landscape has changed a bit in 20 years. But even putting that aside, lets pretend the conference did strike a great deal back then...TV contracts don't run for 20+ years, so it would have very little impact on today's situation.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What school(s) would you have added instead that would have the networks begging us to sign a TV deal with them?
Ok, and do you think thats all it would have taken to have networks clamoring for A10 media rights?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Good luck with that. Trust me, they are not winning the A10 just like Mason is not winning the A10.
Because they don't win the conference title, it doesn't mean they were a bad addition.
Also, once they settle in, I believe they will be very competitive, maybe even in 23-24.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ok, and do you think thats all it would have taken to have networks clamoring for A10 media rights?
Yup. I do.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yup. I do.
Haha, wow. That's hilarious. I wish it were that simple!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yup. I do.
It really is. The bottom teams have pulled this conference down for decades. They suck and have a fan base of 2k.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

St Louis attendance will skyrocket playing nationally ranked BE teams.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yup. I do.
It really is. The bottom teams have pulled this conference down for decades. They suck and have a fan base of 2k.
Yes, the bottom teams have been a drag on the conference. Yes, they have small fanbases. No, that does not automatically mean the conference would have a drastically better media rights deal then it has now. The A10 would still find itself behind the Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, Big East, ACC and Pac 12 at minimum and maybe even a couple other conferences as well. Meaning our TV contract would still be with the likes of the CBS Sports and NBC Sports networks of the world at best. Dumping Fordham, Duquesne or any of the other perennial bottom dwellers from the past 20 years wouldn't be enough to move the needle on its own.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Dumping them now won’t have the same impact as if we had dumped them 10 years ago, but better late than never.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yes, the bottom teams have been a drag on the conference. Yes, they have small fanbases. No, that does not automatically mean the conference would have a drastically better media rights deal then it has now. The A10 would still find itself behind the Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, Big East, ACC and Pac 12 at minimum and maybe even a couple other conferences as well. Meaning our TV contract would still be with the likes of the CBS Sports and NBC Sports networks of the world at best. Dumping Fordham, Duquesne or any of the other perennial bottom dwellers from the past 20 years wouldn't be enough to move the needle on its own.
Seriously? You mean if the small school, low attendance, high rpi/net teams were to be somehow jettisoned the league would not be better? Like if URI played SLU twice with a net in the 50's compared to SLU and then FDU in the high 200's, that doesn't make a difference? Dude, you are making an argument that has no basis.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seriously? You mean if the small school, low attendance, high rpi/net teams were to be somehow jettisoned the league would not be better? Like if URI played SLU twice with a net in the 50's compared to SLU and then FDU in the high 200's, that doesn't make a difference? Dude, you are making an argument that has no basis.
When did I say it would not make the league better? I said it would not automatically mean the conference would have a drastically better media rights deal then it has now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

When did I say it would not make the league better? I said it would not automatically mean the conference would have a drastically better media rights deal then it has now.
So a better league doesn't garner better media rights? Is that what you are saying? Having trouble following your logic on this one.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So a better league doesn't garner better media rights? Is that what you are saying? Having trouble following your logic on this one.
We'd have to be a better league AND leap frog over, or at least become on par with, the 6-7 other leagues that are already better and get the better TV contracts. I don't think dropping Duquesne is going to suddenly make URI vs. St. Louis a more attractive game to media rights holders than Kansas vs. Baylor for example. We'd have to lose some of those bottom dwellers and somehow become better than all those other conferences that have those media deals already to make the networks say that they want the A10 instead of <insert better conference here>.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We'd have to be a better league AND leap frog over, or at least become on par with, the 6-7 other leagues that are already better and get the better TV contracts. I don't think dropping Duquesne is going to suddenly make URI vs. St. Louis a more attractive game to media rights holders than Kansas vs. Baylor for example. We'd have to lose some of those bottom dwellers and somehow become better than all those other conferences that have those media deals already to make the networks say that they want the A10 instead of <insert better conference here>.
Not buying it. If SLU and URI are playing and getting votes in the top 25, people will watch. URI vs Fordham? yeah, I don't even want to go to the RC to see the game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not buying it. If SLU and URI are playing and getting votes in the top 25, people will watch. URI vs Fordham? yeah, I don't even want to go to the RC to see the game.
So just to be clear, all the A10 has to do is drop a couple of the bottom teams, get a couple of the remaining teams to have some votes in the Top 25, and then ESPN is going to drop the Big 12 in favor of airing A10 games?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So just to be clear, all the A10 has to do is drop a couple of the bottom teams, get a couple of the remaining teams to have some votes in the Top 25, and then ESPN is going to drop the Big 12 in favor of airing A10 games?
I don't believe the Big 12 and A10 play on the same nights. I'll check, but I don't think they do.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

TITANIC

man I wish there was an angle to the BE for us

Dream dream dream
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The whole debate/discussion of the A10 dropping some of the bottom feeders has been beaten to death on KB for a long time.
Bottom line is conferences just don't boot member teams, would like to see some examples of that happening.

Beside Keith Urgo was named 2023 A10 COY, so probably not going to happen with Fordham.

I also see Duquesne and St. Joe's being very competitive in 2023.

My concern right now is URI's ability to take care of business in 23-24.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't believe the Big 12 and A10 play on the same nights. I'll check, but I don't think they do.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Either way it's irrelevant to the discussion.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agreed, Jersey. I don’t see any programs being forced out by the A10. I do see multiple teams leaving voluntarily if a better opportunity presents itself or for football reasons (UMass if they remain committed to FBS football).

Although, if La Salle continues to struggle financially, I could envision them dropping down or doing away with athletics.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago The whole debate/discussion of the A10 dropping some of the bottom feeders has been beaten to death on KB for a long time.
Bottom line is conferences just don't boot member teams, would like to see some examples of that happening.

Beside Keith Urgo was named 2023 A10 COY, so probably not going to happen with Fordham.

Temple football got kicked out of the Big East
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 11 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago The whole debate/discussion of the A10 dropping some of the bottom feeders has been beaten to death on KB for a long time.

Temple football got kicked out of the Big East
The best example we can come up with? :)
That was for football 22 years ago, anything a little more relevant or recent?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Kansas v. UConn would be a good game. Not traditional rivals but would a juicy matchup. Honestly, the rest of the Big12 teams wouldn’t do it for me if I was a UConn fan. Yes they are better teams than South Florida, but the lack of tradition or geography makes it tough.

Now if the Big 12 goes and gets Cuse and couple others than they may have a watchable product.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Looking at top-4 seeds (using the upcoming conference teams not the conference teams at the time of the tournament)
2023 Tournament - Kansas and Houston were 1 seeds, Baylor and KSU were 3 seeds. For the BE, Marquette was a 2 seed, Xavier a 3 seed, and UConn a 4 seed
Total Teams in Field - B12-7 BE-5
Advantage B12

2022 Tournament - Kansas and Baylor were 1 seeds, Texas Tech was a 3 seed. For the BE Nova was a 2 seed, and PC was a 4 seed.
Total Teams in Field - B12-6 BE-6
Advantage B12 (based on seeding)

2021 Tournament - Baylor was a 1 seed, Houston a 2 seed, WVU and Kansas were 3 seeds, Ok State was a 4 seed. For the BE no teams in the top 4 seeds.
Total Teams in Field - B12-8 BE-3
Advantage B12

Big 12 is objectively a better basketball conference and would lead to a better opportunity for Hurley and the Huskies to end up at the top of the bracket every season.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Currently Arizona and Colorado look like the next teams to be favored by the Big 12.
Makes more sense than UConn especially geographically.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=0fa4bca0 ... 1UdA&ntb=1
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=fdd0a542 ... bGM1&ntb=1
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 11 months ago TITANIC

man I wish there was an angle to the BE for us

Dream dream dream
Maybe if the Vatican takes us on with greater funding than the state, change to St Kingston.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 11 months ago
Reports are now mixed about Big 12 leaders and decision makers regarding UConn.

"Barry Tramel, a well-connected columnist for The Oklahoman, reported that there is “little interest” in adding UConn or Gonzaga among “campus decision-makers.”

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/sports ... rc=stuconn

Again, who knows what will end up happening.
The above-mentioned teams Arizona and Colorado may not leave and the B12 might go outside the box with a team like UConn.

If we do see more teams from the PAC 12 defect that conference could look for additions like: San Diego State, Boise State, Fresno State, UNLV, or SMU.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

"Barry Tramel, a well-connected columnist for The Oklahoman, reported that there is “little interest” in adding UConn or Gonzaga among “campus decision-makers.”

The above-mentioned teams Arizona and Colorado may not leave and the B12 might go outside the box with a team like UConn.

If we do see more teams from the PAC 12 defect that conference could look for additions like: San Diego State, Boise State, Fresno State, UNLV, or SMU.
Isn't SDSU basically a lock for the P12 regardless if other teams leave? I thought they were rumored to be joining with the departure of USC and UCLA to keep the SoCal region in the conference
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 11 months ago

Isn't SDSU basically a lock for the P12 regardless if other teams leave? I thought they were rumored to be joining with the departure of USC and UCLA to keep the SoCal region in the conference
SDSU should be an absolute lock for the Pac 12.

Their basketball and football programs are already better than some of the current Pac 12 schools.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, jmho but I don’t think geography matters as much anymore in the case of the P5 and in the case of Big 12 Commish Yormark. In fact, Yormark has stated to media a few times at least that he envisions a national level BIg 12. I think if the Big 12 Commish and UConn can make the argument that they could bring enhanced value in dollars and bring more eyes to the conference with their large alumni base in the NYC area then I think the Big 12 administrators will become favorable to adding UConn.

UConn does have infrastructure question marks on the football side of the argument regarding the lack of an on campus stadium, the capacity of the current off campus stadium - which I believe is only approximately 35K - that could work against the argument but Yormark could make the argument that full football membership can be a process of 3-5 years, for example, giving UConn time to address the issues.

Gonzaga is a tougher sell to the administrators since it is only basketball driven and therefore less valuable in dollars to the Big 12 administrators, I would think.

What is the old saying? Money talks and bullshit walks? If Yormark and UConn can make the money argument work then I think the administrators will jump onboard.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago

SDSU should be an absolute lock for the Pac 12.

Their basketball and football programs are already better than some of the current Pac 12 schools.
Yes, I agree about SDSU. That will probably happen regardless of any other PAC 12 defections.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago

Jersey, jmho but I don’t think geography matters as much anymore in the case of the P5 and in the case of Big 12 Commish Yormark. In fact, Yormark has stated to media a few times at least that he envisions a national level BIg 12. I think if the Big 12 Commish and UConn can make the argument that they could bring enhanced value in dollars and bring more eyes to the conference with their large alumni base in the NYC area then I think the Big 12 administrators will become favorable to adding UConn.

UConn does have infrastructure question marks on the football side of the argument regarding the lack of an on campus stadium, the capacity of the current off campus stadium - which I believe is only approximately 35K - that could work against the argument but Yormark could make the argument that full football membership can be a process of 3-5 years, for example, giving UConn time to address the issues.

Gonzaga is a tougher sell to the administrators since it is only basketball driven and therefore less valuable in dollars to the Big 12 administrators, I would think.

What is the old saying? Money talks and bullshit walks? If Yormark and UConn can make the money argument work then I think the administrators will jump onboard.
I think overall Arizona and Colorado may be more attractive to the B12, but at this time have no idea how things will shake out.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 11 months ago Looking at top-4 seeds (using the upcoming conference teams not the conference teams at the time of the tournament)
2023 Tournament - Kansas and Houston were 1 seeds, Baylor and KSU were 3 seeds. For the BE, Marquette was a 2 seed, Xavier a 3 seed, and UConn a 4 seed
Advantage B12

2022 Tournament - Kansas and Baylor were 1 seeds, Texas Tech was a 3 seed. For the BE Nova was a 2 seed, and PC was a 4 seed.

2021 Tournament - Baylor was a 1 seed, Houston a 2 seed, WVU and Kansas were 3 seeds, Ok State was a 4 seed. For the BE no teams in the top 4 seeds.
Advantage B12

Big 12 is objectively a better basketball conference and would lead to a better opportunity for Hurley and the Huskies to end up at the top of the bracket every season.
The reason to leave is the money.

I agree the B12 is the better conference. However, since realignment the BE has more championships, and Villanova flourished into an elite program under Wright with 2 championships, an 3rd F4 appearance, and numerous 1-2 seeds. They've proven you can win in the BE, because they just did. If it were just about the teams, do you leave your geographically-centric league, with a conf tourney down the road, in a conference you can clearly recruit and win? Not a shot.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's not just money. Leaving the AAC for the Big East nuked their football program. They're always going to be screwed as an independent
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I think so too Jersey. I think Colorado could drop next then UConn, potentially.

Oregon and AZ State could be in play with the Big 12, too. Although, Oregon could use the Big 12 as a negotiating tactic to get into the Big 10.

I haven’t read or heard anything on what the PAC 12 is thinking and how there new TV deal is going. What the heck is the PAC 12 up to.

Interestingly, when I was checking out the UConn Boneyard Conference Realignment Board last week, some were posting media tweets that there was a second unnamed P5 conference that reached out to UConn but no one there had confirmation on which P5 conference it is as of last week.

Yarmark is pushing for a coast to coast conference where the Big 12 could have games (football first and foremost) in all time zones on a Saturday but he still has to sell it to the administrators.

Like you, I think things could still play out several different ways. It’s a volatile time for college athletics.

Thanks for your thoughts, Jersey. Good discussion.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Rentscheler is awesome. Technicalities aside,anybody who sees it is going to like it.
UCONN like most NE state schools is constantly getting criticized by media and some residents for bleeding red ink from both nostrils & ears.
If they pass on $35M from B12 for $5M from Big East they deserve it!!
That's multi generational changing $$.
anybody can be competitive in FB with that type of influx.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago I think so too Jersey. I think Colorado could drop next then UConn, potentially.

Oregon and AZ State could be in play with the Big 12, too. Although, Oregon could use the Big 12 as a negotiating tactic to get into the Big 10.

I haven’t read or heard anything on what the PAC 12 is thinking and how there new TV deal is going. What the heck is the PAC 12 up to.

Interestingly, when I was checking out the UConn Boneyard Conference Realignment Board last week, some were posting media tweets that there was a second unnamed P5 conference that reached out to UConn but no one there had confirmation on which P5 conference it is as of last week.

Yarmark is pushing for a coast to coast conference where the Big 12 could have games (football first and foremost) in all time zones on a Saturday but he still has to sell it to the administrators.

Like you, I think things could still play out several different ways. It’s a volatile time for college athletics.

Thanks for your thoughts, Jersey. Good discussion.
Yes Jdrums, I obviously would prefer UConn not to leave the BE just for my own concerns on how that may affect the A10.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 11 months ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 11 months ago Looking at top-4 seeds (using the upcoming conference teams not the conference teams at the time of the tournament)
Advantage B12

Advantage B12

I agree the B12 is the better conference. However, since realignment the BE has more championships, and Villanova flourished into an elite program under Wright with 2 championships, an 3rd F4 appearance, and numerous 1-2 seeds. They've proven you can win in the BE, because they just did. If it were just about the teams, do you leave your geographically-centric league, with a conf tourney down the road, in a conference you can clearly recruit and win? Not a shot.
I mean - the Big XII is definitely a better conference than the Big East. 2 of the last 3 champs were Big XII. As a conference they're virtually guaranteed a Final Four appearance - 5 of the last 7.

It looks like Colorado is going back - with Deion as a coach, that's a huge football get to replace Texas/Oklahoma. In basketball they're fine - nothing great but fine.

While the Big East will continue to be a top conference - the perennial national championship contender is UConn. They'll be that no matter where they are. Nova is still unproven. They were Jay Wright. Marquette - who knows. St Johns - how long will Rick stay/turn around? PC is unknown. GTown overpaid for a non-existent in-game coach.

Kansas. KState. Baylor. Houston. Those are 4 contenders year in year out with their coaches/pedigrees. Iowa State/OSU/WVU/Texas Tech - solid programs.

I think I was initially on your side with the "Hurley won't leave the Big East because they can win titles there" camp (that and the massive exit fee the Big East would command from UConn).

But Hurley can recruit no matter what conference he's in. They'll have enough money coming in that they'll have no problem getting players' parents to games in CT. He may want to go up against Self/Drew/Tang/Huggins.

The football money is immense (and even though the basketball coaches make more, they're investing in football with Jim Mora). This move isn't like going to the AAC, you go from the "P6" for basketball to a legit P5 (P4 once the Pac12 implodes).

It would make more sense for UConn to do it than for the Big XII though. Do they really want to take on UConn football?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Advantage B12

Advantage B12

My post was relying to the person above me who said the B12 teams aside from Kansas "did nothing" for them. Sure teams in the BE absolutely can win championships (as they proved) but it's easier in the B12 as the strength of schedule will lead to better seeds.

You know how many BE teams were outside the top-100 at kenpom? 3 (27% of the conference)
You know how many B12 teams were outside the top-100 at kenpom? 0
You know how many B12 teams were outside the top-65 at kenpom? 0
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Advantage B12

Advantage B12

My post was relying to the person above me who said the B12 teams aside from Kansas "did nothing" for them. Sure teams in the BE absolutely can win championships (as they proved) but it's easier in the B12 as the strength of schedule will lead to better seeds.

You know how many BE teams were outside the top-100 at kenpom? 3 (27% of the conference)
So if money/football did not matter in this argument, if you were UCONN would you leave the BE for the B12 for basketball?

I word it that way because I agree UCONN would be stupid to leave the money on the table if actually offered.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

So if money/football did not matter in this argument, if you were UCONN would you leave the BE for the B12 for basketball?

I word it that way because I agree UCONN would be stupid to leave the money on the table if actually offered.
Money off the table? I leave anyway. Better teams, better visibility, better seeding. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying the BE is a bad conference. The only conferences I'd leave for are B12 and B1G.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Money off the table? I leave anyway. Better teams, better visibility, better seeding. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying the BE is a bad conference. The only conferences I'd leave for are B12 and B1G.
B1G is hilariously overrated for basketball.

That may change with USC and UCLA, but their postseason success has been hot garbage.
Last edited by Rhody15 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Look at Boston College. They left the BE for the ACC and people thought that was crazy.
They had a few good years in hoops and football, struggling maybe now but it was done because of money. And they got it.
So I look at UConn in the same position. Will it be odd to see? Yup but money money money.

Think of what a school could do with a few years of getting $35+ million.

There was a report of another P5 conference other than big12
“ reaching out “. Just me thinking out loud but I think that would be the ACC and that’s only if Boston College agrees to it.

Look at the difference in school money from Big12 and ACC.
Either way, UConn is as good as gone from the best east.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

And that's where I'll disagree with you - intangibles. Playing several conference game within close driving distance, a conference tournament a short drive away, natural rivalries with many teams, etc. I think there is way more value in that than just being in a stronger, deeper conference. Obviously if it were a 1-2 bid conference, yes you have to make considerations for tournament opportunities. BE affords plenty of opportunity to make tournament, get strong seed, etc. Maybe not as easy, but it's there. The other stuff I think is equally important. Also, better visibility? No conference offers better basketball visibility than the BE, at least in terms of tv visibility.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

And that's where I'll disagree with you - intangibles. Playing several conference game within close driving distance, a conference tournament a short drive away, natural rivalries with many teams, etc. I think there is way more value in that than just being in a stronger, deeper conference. Obviously if it were a 1-2 bid conference, yes you have to make considerations for tournament opportunities. BE affords plenty of opportunity to make tournament, get strong seed, etc. Maybe not as easy, but it's there. The other stuff I think is equally important. Also, better visibility? No conference offers better basketball visibility than the BE, at least in terms of tv visibility.
You had me, maybe, up until, 'maybe not as easy.' Then I thought about 'lucrative' and based on that, \would say...they be history. What school admin/prez/whatever is going to say, 'no, we don't want our football team in a P5 conference...because we're not sure it's in the best interests of our hoops team"? This doesn't seem like a hoops call, really...yes, they're the enticement, but the school (in its current financial sitch) "cain't say no...to that P5 foo'ball dough"
0 x