2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Coming soon, Magellan Time
Preceded by "huge depth - 9 to 11 guys that could start/see significant minutes"
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Coming soon, Magellan Time
“Around the world”?????
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyram22 wrote: 11 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago

I’m nervous and also really excited to see how the new roster plays.
Yes, I am sure we all are.

Lots of pressure on the staff this season.
Much depends on how fast they can whip this group into a team, making all the pieces fit.

I have a feeling they will struggle early then hopefully settle in as the season goes along.
That’s a fair estimate. I hope they gel earlier and beat Northwestern lol.
Gellin is critical
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KevanBoyles wrote: 11 months ago One of these guys s going to kick a__. Don’t know which one, but it’s going to happen.
I feel like it’s gonna be Montgomery or House.
I’m thinking so too !! Would think they are 1-2 in scoring !!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

After the rumblings I've heard about the team lately, this is who I think will start.

Luis (guard)
House (guard)
Zek (wing)
Green (forward)
Brown (center)

Weston (wing)
Foumena (center)
Always (guard)
Rory (forward)
Cam (guard)

Connor (guard)
Fuchs (forward)
Ray Allen Jr (guard)

The big question is who plays the 4. At first, I thought we would go smaller and play Zek and Weston. But I keep hearing Weston doesn't seem to want it and checks out mentally. We all saw that at times when he was playing last year, which sucks because he has all the talent in the world. It may be smart to have Weston be our top option on the bench and run the offense through him while guys like House and Zek rest. If he's in the starting five and isn't a focal point, I worry he may check out. So that leaves our starting 4 to Rory, Green, Fuchs. I don't think Fuchs is remotely ready to play, but I hope I'm wrong. Rory and Green can both shoot, but I went with Green because he seems to be the better defensive player. Then again, Rory has played here for a year and was starting to gain Archies trust, so it wouldn't surprise me if he started.

I don't think you want to start Foumena and Tyson, as we need them to split the five duties while Bilau is out. Now, if Bilau returns, I could see Archie moving Tyson to the 4 more. But from what Im hearing BIlau is a wayssss away from playing, unfortunately.

The other question is, who is the first guard off the bench? Always or Cam. I think Always is more ready, but Cam may be too good to keep off the floor as the season progresses. For now, I give the nod to Always.

I don't see Connor Fuchs or Ray Allen being a part of the rotation. Connor is a gifted 3 pt shooter, but he needs to work on his game in many other areas, so I feel this will be a developmental year.

Let's hope this team clicks, and we make a jump this season.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think that lineup is spot on what we see in Game 1. From there it’s anyone’s guess. That lineup will need Kortright, House and Montgomery to all be consistent double figure scorers and have everyone else chipping in in all other areas. Clearly it’s a sum of the parts philosophy. Green and or Rory along with Montgomery should give you 2 positions to space the floor for Luis and House to slash. Brown doing dirty work. In an ideal world it all clicks and it’s Archie ball.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That looks about exactly where I thought it'd be
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Weird about Bilau being out for a super long time when he isn't even wearing a brace and hasn't been walking with a limp for several weeks already.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't think Weston has the luxury of "checking out" this season.
3 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

This is my question...tell me the rotation of who play 20 mins or more
The core group of 7 players
That is your rotation
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago I think that lineup is spot on what we see in Game 1. From there it’s anyone’s guess. That lineup will need Kortright, House and Montgomery to all be consistent double figure scorers and have everyone else chipping in in all other areas. Clearly it’s a sum of the parts philosophy. Green and or Rory along with Montgomery should give you 2 positions to space the floor for Luis and House to slash. Brown doing dirty work. In an ideal world it all clicks and it’s Archie ball.
Yeah I like it too , also think it’s good to have 10 guys with 9 getting the majority of the minutes on
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Lineup without Bilau

1. Luis 25 mins / Always 15 mins
2. Jaden 30 mins / Cam 10 mins
3. Zek 20 mins / B west 20 mins
4. Green 20 mins / Rory 15 mins without / Zek 5-10mins (if teams go small on us)
5. Tyson 20 mins / Foumena 20 mins

Dubsky RS, Fuchs RS (if Green gets waiver )

Lineup with Bilau

1. Luis 25 mins / Always 15 mins
2. Jaden 30 mins / Cam 10 mins
3. Zek 20 mins / B west 20 mins
4. Bilau 20 mins / Green 10 mins / Rory 10 mins / Zek 5 mins (if teams go small on us)
5. Tyson 20 mins / Foumena 20 mins

Dubsky & Fuchs RS
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago I don't think Weston has the luxury of "checking out" this season.
I would be surprised if he did unless we really suck again. It is tough mentally to stay there all season when you don’t get results.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Regarding Weston, according to Archie early on, ‘he’ll be a different player in January……’ coming off his limited play before URI and injury recover. That turned out to be false. He was a different player last season and did show flashes of what he can be. Hope he has settled into the routine here and will be major contributor, as starter? Go Brandon!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Weston would be wise to play every minute he is given like it's game 7 of the NBA finals.

If they put him in at the 4 and tell him to guard the other team's best big man on defense, he better be sticking da ass out and boxing out like Charles Barkley under the basket.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Weston can be so good lol. Confidence is all he needs.
0 x
GO RAMS
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rams Officially Add Seven Newcomers for 2023-24

KINGSTON, R.I. - Rhode Island head coach Archie Miller officially announced the addition of six transfers and one freshman who will join the Rams for the 2023-24 season.

The overhaul of the team's roster addresses needs at every position on both ends of the floor. With forwards Tyson Brown (Florida Southwestern State), David Fuchs (Ratiopharm Ulm) and David Green (Louisiana Tech/Hofstra) as well as guards Jaden House (High Point), Zek Montgomery (Bradley), Luis Kortwright (Quinnipiac) and Always Wright (Northeast Oklahoma), the coaching staff has added several players with maturity and experience that can make an immediate impact.

All seven players have at least two seasons of eligibility remaining.

In addition to the seven players announced Thursday, Rhode Island has true freshmen Connor Dubsky and Cam Estevez joining the 2023-24 roster as well.

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/6/1/mens- ... 23-24.aspx
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 11 months ago Rams Officially Add Seven Newcomers for 2023-24

KINGSTON, R.I. - Rhode Island head coach Archie Miller officially announced the addition of six transfers and one freshman who will join the Rams for the 2023-24 season.

The overhaul of the team's roster addresses needs at every position on both ends of the floor. With forwards Tyson Brown (Florida Southwestern State), David Fuchs (Ratiopharm Ulm) and David Green (Louisiana Tech/Hofstra) as well as guards Jaden House (High Point), Zek Montgomery (Bradley), Luis Kortwright (Quinnipiac) and Always Wright (Northeast Oklahoma), the coaching staff has added several players with maturity and experience that can make an immediate impact.

In addition to the seven players announced Thursday, Rhode Island has true freshmen Connor Dubsky and Cam Estevez joining the 2023-24 roster as well.

Cool is it definite Green is playing this season or does he need a waiver ?? Also what are the chances he gets the waiver if he needs one ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 11 months ago

Cool is it definite Green is playing this season or does he need a waiver ?? Also what are the chances he gets the waiver if he needs one ??
I don't think he graduated, so I guess he would need a waiver.
Some here are confident he will get approved, but you never know for sure until it happens.

After reading the new rules and the reminder memo that was sent out, it appears the NCAA is making an effort not to make it easier for multi-transfers to get immediate play.
1 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Brandon Weston needs to be a top 3 option. Too much potential, but hoping attitude doesn’t get in the way. I remember seeing him a handful of times leaving the huddle early to mope back to the bench. But man can he punch the rim. Good defense framework. Needs to play with a fire in him though. “oh my goshhh”
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyg wrote: 11 months ago Brandon Weston needs to be a top 3 option. Too much potential, but hoping attitude doesn’t get in the way. I remember seeing him a handful of times leaving the huddle early to mope back to the bench. But man can he punch the rim. Good defense framework. Needs to play with a fire in him though. “oh my goshhh”
Come on man, that is one layup in a street ball game.

You cannot possibly use that to try and justify his D1 potential/skill and minutes he should receive.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago
Rhodyg wrote: 11 months ago Brandon Weston needs to be a top 3 option. Too much potential, but hoping attitude doesn’t get in the way. I remember seeing him a handful of times leaving the huddle early to mope back to the bench. But man can he punch the rim. Good defense framework. Needs to play with a fire in him though. “oh my goshhh”

You cannot possibly use that to try and justify his D1 potential/skill and minutes he should receive.
R15, no offense but can you just let people enjoy things? Rhodyg even said he "needs to play with a fire in him". I don't think he's using this single clip to justify his D1 potential and minutes he should receive.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good post, 22. That is a reasonable take/assessment of Rhodyg’s post.

I believe Rhodyg was only using the vid as a small example of Weston’s potential. I don’t believe he bases his assessment of weston’s ability off one short video. It is pretty clear to me Rhodyg is a fan and has therefore watched Westin play on TV, streaming, in person, etc. like the rest of the KB members have.

That’s what I think. However, I am not speaking for Rhodyg. Rhodyg, please correct me if I am incorrect in my thinking regarding your post above.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Some here are confident he will get approved, but you never know for sure until it happens.

After reading the new rules and the reminder memo that was sent out, it appears the NCAA is making an effort not to make it easier for multi-transfers to get immediate play.
Yeah but he only played in six games last year before he missed the rest of the season with an injury. That's why we should be confident he will get a waiver. Doubt the NCAA will make a kid practically wait two full seasons to play again.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don’t understand dudes like Weston and their attitude issues. Like do you want to play basketball overseas for a living after URI or do you want to work a real job like the rest of us?

Weston clearly has the upside to have a nice career overseas if he gets his act together, but if he would rather pout and have attitude issues then whatever.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 11 months ago I don’t understand dudes like Weston and their attitude issues. Like do you want to play basketball overseas for a living after URI or do you want to work a real job like the rest of us?

Weston clearly has the upside to have a nice career overseas if he gets his act together, but if he would rather pout and have attitude issues then whatever.
His social media has seemed very positive this offseason. He's been sharing a lot of Rhody related things since the year ended and seemed to celebrate a lot of the new transfers coming here. Feels like he's bought in.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago

Yeah but he only played in six games last year before he missed the rest of the season with an injury. That's why we should be confident he will get a waiver. Doubt the NCAA will make a kid practically wait two full seasons to play again.
Then he could be eligible for an additional year getting a medical hardship waiver, which still doesn't mean he can get immediate play.

One thing I have learned after all these years is that the NCAA rulings are very unpredictable, and they don't necessarily do what we think is the right thing.

With all that said, I hope he gets an immediate play waiver plus a medical hardship waiver for an additional season.
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Not in the slightest was that video attempting to support my argument. If you really knew ball like you portray you would think it’s a cool clip because that’s Dyckman Park, one of the most famous courts in the country. My argument stands on Weston, but not because the short clip convinces me that he’s one of our better players.
All the best
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyg wrote: 11 months ago

Not in the slightest was that video attempting to support my argument. If you really knew ball like you portray you would think it’s a cool clip because that’s Dyckman Park, one of the most famous courts in the country. My argument stands on Weston, but not because the short clip convinces me that he’s one of our better players.
All the best
Lol yes I know Dyckman is one of the most famous outdoor parks in America. Have played there before.

Rucker and Dyckman had great games during the last NBA strike.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

All the best
Dyckman Park with much more seating than Beck Field or Rose Hill Gym....
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

All the best
Ya, I think 99.9% of people knew what you meant Rhodyg. I totally agree about Weston. You'd have to be blind to not see the talent and upside he has. I'm really hoping things start to click mentally because he could be one of the better players in the A10.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Brandon Weston and four others, game 1 starters.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Brandon Weston and four others, game 1 starters.
105, surprised you have Weston listed as the only definite starter.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It doesn't matter who begins the season as a starter.

It matters who ends the season as a starter.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Brandon Weston and four others, game 1 starters.
105, surprised you have Weston listed as the only definite starter.
If I had to pick one player that is a lock to start it's House.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agreed on House, Stevey.

We will really need House to produce this coming season.

After House as a starter, I think Monty will start. Hopefully Monty makes a jump this coming season too. I think he has the potential to do it but, we will see how it goes.

Beyond those two, I am not sure who the remaining 3 starters will be yet.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I offered Weston as starter, taking what Archie did last season. Started game one with returning players, and those that earned it with effort shown in practice. I am expecting a Weston coming out ready to go. Obviously long way to go to November, lots of time for players to demonstrate what Archie is looking for. Based on what I recall in the flashes Weston showed toward end of season, he/ll ready to go. I have come around on Weston. We will see. Agree on House.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago I offered Weston as starter, taking what Archie did last season. Started game one with returning players, and those that earned it with effort shown in practice. I am expecting a Weston coming out ready to go.
I think Weston probably has the most athletic talent and upside of any player on the team.
He just needs to translate that to his court performance on a consistent basis.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago He just needs to translate that to his court performance on a consistent basis.
And that's the issue.

Brandon Weston scouting report:

Much apparent talent. "He just needs to translate that to his court performance on a consistent basis."

And not "check out".

He's probably got one more season to put the hot and cold sides of the McD.L.T. together before he's "checking out" at Fairfield, Monmouth, Rider or Siena the following season.

Have an espresso shot before each half.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

I really don’t understand all of the Weston hype. He was an average bench player at best on one of the worst URI teams in a while. I hope he can get to the point you guys are all expecting him to perform at but he has a long way to go for that to be the case.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

OK, I get it. If(big one)he can get his head in game and keep it there,he can be ver good. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 11 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago He just needs to translate that to his court performance on a consistent basis.
And that's the issue.

Brandon Weston scouting report:

Much apparent talent. "He just needs to translate that to his court performance on a consistent basis."

And not "check out".

He's probably got one more season to put the hot and cold sides of the McD.L.T. together before he's "checking out" at Fairfield, Monmouth, Rider or Siena the following season.

Have an espresso shot before each half.
You forgot Hofstra
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Some guys (probably most) just can’t fight through losing - it’s really tough to keep your compete level high when your team loses so much. Hopefully some success on the court translates to more consistent effort, not just from Weston but other players too. By the end of last year you could count on Ish, Martin and Bassy to show up effort wise. Three guys who unfortunately had experience fighting through losing seasons.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

DevRam wrote: 11 months ago I really don’t understand all of the Weston hype. He was an average bench player at best on one of the worst URI teams in a while. I hope he can get to the point you guys are all expecting him to perform at but he has a long way to go for that to be the case.
Idk how you can’t see the upside when things are clicking for him. He was basically a freshman last year.

To me this looks like a player that could develop into a very good A10 player if he puts in the work and wants it bad enough

4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I agree with all who said Luis, House, Brown, Zek and Weston as opening night starting unit.

Brown could easily be replaced by Foumy depending on practices. Others pretty solid barring injuries.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

McRam wrote: 11 months ago I agree with all who said Luis, House, Brown, Zek and Weston as opening night starting unit.

Brown could easily be replaced by Foumy depending on practices. Others pretty solid barring injuries.
Yeah you may have nailed it if not got 4 right Luis , Brown , Zek and House I’m thinking for sure then depending on whom Arch chooses
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Man, what a pass on that Weston dunk of the year....wow
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago Man, what a pass on that Weston dunk of the year....wow
You really are pushing that Carey narrative.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RAM67 wrote: 11 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago Man, what a pass on that Weston dunk of the year....wow
You really are pushing that Carey narrative.
Carey replaced Ant Harris as 208's new obsession
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And Ant Harris replaced mask mandates for 208...its been a journey.
0 x