Phantom #Gorhody TBT team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Phantom #Gorhody TBT team

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodysurf wrote: 11 months ago Munford and fatts on the same roster is a volume scoring dream
Assuming Fatts will let someone else have the ball once in a while.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 11 months ago
rhodysurf wrote: 11 months ago Munford and fatts on the same roster is a volume scoring dream
As a professional Fatts averaged 5.5 assists per game in Turkey, 7.3 assists per game in Montenegro and is 6th all time in assists in Rhode Island basketball history with 411.
3 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Hass, Terrell, & Dowtin would totally complete the team. Maybe one more big guy after that if any?
They would be unstoppable! Wonder who the coach would be...maybe Preston Murphy could do it? I have no idea. Just throwing stuff out there.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I hope Hassan plays for Rhody in the tournament. Dowtin isn’t playing in this he has legit NBA aspirations. Crazy that Dowtin has been the longest lasting Rhody alum in the NBA over Terrell and others.

Every day that Dowtin remains on the fringes of the NBA as a PG is a further indictment of Cox.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

STC wrote: 11 months ago I hope Hassan plays for Rhody in the tournament. Dowtin isn’t playing in this he has legit NBA aspirations. Crazy that Dowtin has been the longest lasting Rhody alum in the NBA over Terrell and others.

Every day that Dowtin remains on the fringes of the NBA as a PG is a further indictment of Cox.
So, would you have played Fatts at the off-guard or as Jeff's backup? How would that have helped the team? Should a coach do what is best for the team, or what is best for the star player? (BTW, I would have parted ways with Fatts because I have no use for selfish players.)
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

adam914 wrote: 11 months ago
As a professional Fatts averaged 5.5 assists per game in Turkey, 7.3 assists per game in Montenegro and is 6th all time in assists in Rhode Island basketball history with 411.
So because he had 411 assists, you're saying he was known for his passing? And was a good passer?

You know Tim Wakefield is among the top 100 strikeout pitchers of all-time. I don't consider him an all-time great strikeout pitcher. Maybe that's just me.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 11 months ago

So because he had 411 assists, you're saying he was known for his passing? And was a good passer?

You know Tim Wakefield is among the top 100 strikeout pitchers of all-time. I don't consider him an all-time great strikeout pitcher. Maybe that's just me.
Let's try not to turn this thread into a Fatts bashing lol we've had more than enough of those threads.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think Fatts would thrive in an environment that is going to be far more street ball than system/halfcourt basketball.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody72 wrote: 11 months ago
STC wrote: 11 months ago I hope Hassan plays for Rhody in the tournament. Dowtin isn’t playing in this he has legit NBA aspirations. Crazy that Dowtin has been the longest lasting Rhody alum in the NBA over Terrell and others.

So, would you have played Fatts at the off-guard or as Jeff's backup? How would that have helped the team? Should a coach do what is best for the team, or what is best for the star player? (BTW, I would have parted ways with Fatts because I have no use for selfish players.)
I would have had Fatts be Dowtin's backup at least Fatts' 2nd season - Fatts certainly could have learned a lot from Jeff D.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

No, if I was saying that then I would have said that. What I am saying is that 411 times Fatts let someone else have the ball and then they scored from it. In other words, he let someone else have the ball once in a while.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

So, if anyone is interested in supporting this team, I have a call with the coordinators scheduled next week. As far as individual sponsorships, the lowest tier is $1500. which comes with various perks. I will ask if they have a means to accept smaller donations from individuals.

We will be playing in Syracuse, July 24-25th. Tickets are affordable ($24) and many are available.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Known for his passing? No he was known for his scoring and athleticism at a diminutive size.
Good passer? Yes, by any way you could measure it.

Fatts coached by Dan Hurley would have been a completely different player than Fatts coached by Dave Cox. Did you watch any of his games at Maryland? He was not the ball dominant player he was at URI.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 11 months ago So, if anyone is interested in supporting this team, I have a call with the coordinators scheduled next week. As far as individual sponsorships, the lowest tier is $1500. which comes with various perks. I will ask if they have a means to accept smaller donations from individuals.

We will be playing in Syracuse, July 24-25th. Tickets are affordable ($24) and many are available.
Definitely keep us posted please! I'd love to be able to make an individual donation if thats an option.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago ...

Fatts coached by Dan Hurley would have been a completely different player than Fatts coached by Dave Cox. Did you watch any of his games at Maryland? He was not the ball dominant player he was at URI.
I suspect DH would have treated Fatts the same way Archie treated Bray Freeman.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fatts played defense, tenaciously. Fatts dove on the floor, scrapped and by all accounts was a good teammate.
Fatts didn't have a family member sit behind the bench and heckle the coach.
Fatts didn't have a family member poke shots at the coach on Twitter.
Fatts won us 2 PC games and was a huge factor in an NCAA win.

Him and Bray are not the same.

Archie didn't coach Bray the way he did bc he took some ill-advised shots or made a couple bad decisions.
It was all about effort and attitude deficiencies. And no one has/would ever say that about Fatts.
10 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Comparing Fatts, whose name is all over the URI record books, and Bray, who played about 20 games here and got kicked off the team, is one of the dumbest things on here yet.
7 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The slander and revisionist history on Fatts around here is such BS.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on 72 you should be better than that
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago

Fatts played defense, tenaciously. Fatts dove on the floor, scrapped and by all accounts was a good teammate.

Archie didn't coach Bray the way he did bc he took some ill-advised shots or made a couple bad decisions.
It was all about effort and attitude deficiencies. And no one has/would ever say that about Fatts.
Fatts played intermittent defense...he dove sometimes, rested sometimes and coasted other times. He gambled for steals. Wish he was a pitbull on the ball defender every time down but he wasn't.
I can't vouch for him being a good teammate. I know he pouted and wasn't a great leader. I'm guessing he wasn't that easy to coach.
It's great that Fatts helped URI beat PC twice...helped beat OU. Kudos to him and all the players for those wins. Great accomplishments and highlights.

I watched a bunch of his games at UMD and in fact watched him play in person at UMD. He couldn't lead and couldn't win. Had no idea how to make the players around him better.

It doesn't make him a bad person. Nor does it make me a bad person for having a critical eye and less than impressed opinion of his game. Can we leave it at that?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fatts played intermittent defense...he dove sometimes, rested sometimes and coasted other times. He gambled for steals. Wish he was a pitbull on the ball defender every time down but he wasn't.
I can't vouch for him being a good teammate. I know he pouted and wasn't a great leader. I'm guessing he wasn't that easy to coach.
It's great that Fatts helped URI beat PC twice...helped beat OU. Kudos to him and all the players for those wins. Great accomplishments and highlights.

I watched a bunch of his games at UMD and in fact watched him play in person at UMD. He couldn't lead and couldn't win. Had no idea how to make the players around him better.

It doesn't make him a bad person. Nor does it make me a bad person for having a critical eye and less than impressed opinion of his game. Can we leave it at that?
Of course and that opinion is valid. He was a polarizing player, not the first or the last. But any comparison to Bray is just lame.
5 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Of course and that opinion is valid. He was a polarizing player, not the first or the last. But any comparison to Bray is just lame.
That we can agree on.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

This team is getting better and better. It is going to be a trip down memory lane watching these guys play this summer.

Love them adding JT to the mix. Team is loaded and almost forcing me to go watch them live lol
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yes!! This is going to be so great!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 11 months ago

This team is getting better and better. It is going to be a trip down memory lane watching these guys play this summer.

Love them adding JT to the mix. Team is loaded and almost forcing me to go watch them live lol
Love this. Now get Hass and we're ready to go.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

This is soooooo exciting. Who's going to Syracuse??
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. I have Four MCGlynn, a team mate and close friend of Jerrell on the podcast at 5. He can give you a little more info on what’s going with the team. Any last minute questions for him.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So many of my faves! No idea of their chances, but the championship is in Philly.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

If anyone has any interest in making a donation to the RHODY WAY, they need to raise several thousand dollars more to cover the team expenses.

I spoke with one of the team managers yesterday who provided the following sponsorship levels:
Forever Ram 1,500
Loyal Ram 2,500
Rhody Faithful 5000
RAMILY 5000
Several others 10k and up

Each level comes with various perks, swag, access to team events.

In addition,I was told that ANY donation in ANY amount would be helpful as they will be paying for travel, lodging, team meals, up until quarterfinals.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 10 months ago If anyone has any interest in making a donation to the RHODY WAY, they need to raise several thousand dollars more to cover the team expenses.

I spoke with one of the team managers yesterday who provided the following sponsorship levels:
Forever Ram 1,500
Loyal Ram 2,500
Rhody Faithful 5000
RAMILY 5000

In addition,I was told that ANY donation in ANY amount would be helpful as they will be paying for travel, lodging, team meals, up until quarterfinals.

Here's a hypothetical (and I've never really thought of it so not sure my feelings)... If you have $1500 sitting in your pocket, are you better donating to the school NIL collective, or to a potential one-and-done alumni team (even if it is a ton of fan favorite players)?

For the record, I think the fact that you guys have an alumni team strictly of URI alumni is awesome, considering other alumni teams have alumni and hired guns.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 10 months ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 10 months ago If anyone has any interest in making a donation to the RHODY WAY, they need to raise several thousand dollars more to cover the team expenses.

Forever Ram 1,500
Loyal Ram 2,500
Rhody Faithful 5000
RAMILY 5000

Here's a hypothetical (and I've never really thought of it so not sure my feelings)... If you have $1500 sitting in your pocket, are you better donating to the school NIL collective, or to a potential one-and-done alumni team (even if it is a ton of fan favorite players)?

For the record, I think the fact that you guys have an alumni team strictly of URI alumni is awesome, considering other alumni teams have alumni and hired guns.
$1500 to NIL and it’s not even a debate.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Is this a joke? Usually teams are asking alumni for donations. Are they tired of being asked by URI Athletics for money and this is their response? I'm shaking my head. Have any of you ever thought of asking URI Advancement for money? Is there a quid pro quo that I'm missing?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m this day and age with inflation, how is a fan base expected to keep up with this?
0 x
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

If they can get Hass, that's a stacked team for sure! Not sure what Dowtin's status is, but that would simply be the cherry on top.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Dapper Dan should give them 50k. They contributed to his early success that began his journey to the promised land. Jim Boheim has given a very generous donation and has rallied local businesses and supporters in the Syracuse fan base each year for Boheim's Army, led by Eric Devindorf. I know this for a fact, but I'm also quite sure that other teams have done the same.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 10 months ago I’m this day and age with inflation, how is a fan base expected to keep up with this?
Ballot box
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 10 months ago I’m this day and age with inflation, how is a fan base expected to keep up with this?
Eh. Since the majority of our fanbase doesn’t donate a single penny I’m sure most will find a way to survive.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

A better question is, if you are in a position to donate, what is better, the NIL or to the traditional athletic dept? All due respect to the alumni team - and I'm thrilled this team is together and would love to watch and see them succeed, I don't know who can afford to donate to both/all 3. I certainly can't and still feed my kids.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 10 months ago A better question is, if you are in a position to donate, what is better, the NIL or to the traditional athletic dept? All due respect to the alumni team - and I'm thrilled this team is together and would love to watch and see them succeed, I don't know who can afford to donate to both/all 3. I certainly can't and still feed my kids.
I just received a donation letter in the mail and will probably donate to the traditional athletic dept.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steviep123 wrote: 10 months ago A better question is, if you are in a position to donate, what is better, the NIL or to the traditional athletic dept? All due respect to the alumni team - and I'm thrilled this team is together and would love to watch and see them succeed, I don't know who can afford to donate to both/all 3. I certainly can't and still feed my kids.
Yeah I think it's a fair question.

In my opinion, the priority should be the traditional athletic department.

Infrastructure/staff/support/transportation is always going to be the most important reason that kids will come to a school.

NIL is definitely important, but it's secondary in my opinion. We need to be able to pay players - but kids are going to come for a coach/infrastructure/exposure or opportunity to play at a higher level before they're coming for money.

Let's be honest, the more that comes out about NIL, the more you're realizing that players aren't realistically seeing those 6 figure deals. And those 6 figure deals are going to be less and less the more the the big boosters putting up for them aren't seeing any return for their investment.

NIL and paying players will be one piece of the puzzle going forward, but it's not the be all end all.

And as for The Rhody Way - I love it. It's awesome. But considering the athletics department and collective are already strung out for cash for the players that are here, they can't be expected to try and keep everything Archie is doing afloat and simultaneously support their alums - as great as it is.

I hope they do catch some donations from our fans - but it's still a big money tourney. If they play the way they can, they're getting paid at the end.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think Stevie said it better than I did. I also will be donating to the athletic department through the letter, but certainly can’t do all three.
2 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Realistically no one should be donating to this team.

I’m not sure if it’s commonplace for TBT, but they should be looking for backers similar to WSOP players.

You buy in with a certain $ amount and are entitled to a certain % if they win
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 10 months ago Realistically no one should be donating to this team.

I’m not sure if it’s commonplace for TBT, but they should be looking for backers similar to WSOP players.

100%
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KingstonLane wrote: 10 months ago Realistically no one should be donating to this team.

Yeah that’s kinda what I was getting at. I’m definitely advocating for people to support, but I’d hope the team would be doing the right thing and offering up a payback if they win.

Sits a pay for play thing with a massive payout - I would hope they’d write in something like a 2:1 payout from the team purse.

$1M split across that team is $80k per player or so. You’ve got enough in there to pay back anyone fronting that money and then some.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago

Yeah that’s kinda what I was getting at. I’m definitely advocating for people to support, but I’d hope the team would be doing the right thing and offering up a payback if they win.

Sits a pay for play thing with a massive payout - I would hope they’d write in something like a 2:1 payout from the team purse.

$1M split across that team is $80k per player or so. You’ve got enough in there to pay back anyone fronting that money and then some.
Aren't most, if not all, of these guys playing professionally? Why would I give money to them versus giving directly to URI? Not tax deductible either and would not be recognized by the school in dollars donated.
As someone said earlier, most of these guys contributed to Dan Hurley's 2 back to back NCAA Tournament tournaments that included a win in each tournament. Hurley landed the Big East UCONN Job and then won the National Championship. He is loaded. Why doesn't Hurley contribute and contribute substantially? Let me know when Hurley chips in and I might consider.
64 Teams in the TBT so the odds of winning the million are pretty darn slim. The odds of the team giving back any of the donated money are even slimmer. I doubt that has ever been done by any of the TBT Championship teams.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The reason to donate would be bc it’s a marketing vehicle for the program if they do advance and draw eyeballs. That said I also understand the notion that dollars are better spent going to the program or collective.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 10 months ago The reason to donate would be bc it’s a marketing vehicle for the program if they do advance and draw eyeballs. That said I also understand the notion that dollars are better spent going to the program or collective.
To be clear, I have no involvement with The Rhody Way, nor am I advocating that people here throw money at it.

I think because we are donors to the URI Team and to NIL, they reached out directly to see if we would be interested in a sponsorship. I told them I would post the sponsorship levels on KB, because initially there was a lot of excitement about the team.

We too struggle with the decision to donate to URI and/or NIL for a multitude of reasons. I get it that we need NIL money to bring in future players. However, we want to support URI athletics overall.
1 x
SimpleJack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SimpleJack »

Are you a poker player KingstonLane? I’m heading out there on Thursday and will be playing several events over the next month
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Jarelle Reischel officially listened on the roster.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

The game will be played at 9pm on the Monday July 24th. I am very much considering going to their first game.
1 x