Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 11 months ago just making sure everyone is still not offended

anyway we can kick them out ?

my goodness this USA is so soft these days

https://nypost.com/2023/05/25/george-wa ... -backlash/
You are so whiny
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago
ramster wrote: 11 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago

Yea, I couldn't care less about what their nickname is, and don't understand why people are getting so worked up.

Who the hell cares?
Lots of people. That's why they changed the name.
Why should anyone care is the point.
Ramster, maybe he was just referring to us on KB, not those affiliated or who have ties to GWU.
Exactly what I was referring to.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago Good questions, RR. It is a frustrating time in college sports.

Not only are a small percentage of schools (SEC & Big 10 connected) outpacing most others from a relevancy and financial standpoint but the college sport of football itself seems to be widening the gap on all other sports on the P5 level even faster than in the past, imho.

Maybe football will become so dominant that it will evolve to a system of its own somehow and thus leaving other sports behind to a more traditional like system with common sense regulations, manageable NIL, a more diverse group of programs that can play for an opportunity at a natty.

College Basketball is still popular (though obviously less popular than football) and generates a great deal of excitement nationally but in a different way from football. Hopefully, the powers that be will recognize that a more open and competitive environment for basketball has value and it is a disservice to the sport to pigeonhole it into the same box as football.

Right now, the only path I see at this point in time for Rhody’s D1 basketball survival (and other programs in a similar situation) is to position itself with a basketball centric conf with the hopes that college basketball does not walk the path of college football. ETA: Or, maybe a football conf ( non P5 football level) that values cbb and sees value in adding basketball centric programs and run basketball as a revenue source separate from football altogether?

There are still many basketball purists around and smart administrators out and about so I am hoping for the best that a cbb system can be salvaged where Rhody can continue to compete for NCAAT births and make a periodic run.
There are two classes: Those in the Cartel and everyone else. And when the Cartel breaks off and goes on its own, the NCAA -- and college sports as we know them -- will die.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

IMO “Colonials” was always dumb. Not that I cared one tiny bit tho…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 11 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago Good questions, RR. It is a frustrating time in college sports.

Not only are a small percentage of schools (SEC & Big 10 connected) outpacing most others from a relevancy and financial standpoint but the college sport of football itself seems to be widening the gap on all other sports on the P5 level even faster than in the past, imho.

Maybe football will become so dominant that it will evolve to a system of its own somehow and thus leaving other sports behind to a more traditional like system with common sense regulations, manageable NIL, a more diverse group of programs that can play for an opportunity at a natty.

College Basketball is still popular (though obviously less popular than football) and generates a great deal of excitement nationally but in a different way from football. Hopefully, the powers that be will recognize that a more open and competitive environment for basketball has value and it is a disservice to the sport to pigeonhole it into the same box as football.

Right now, the only path I see at this point in time for Rhody’s D1 basketball survival (and other programs in a similar situation) is to position itself with a basketball centric conf with the hopes that college basketball does not walk the path of college football. ETA: Or, maybe a football conf ( non P5 football level) that values cbb and sees value in adding basketball centric programs and run basketball as a revenue source separate from football altogether?

There are still many basketball purists around and smart administrators out and about so I am hoping for the best that a cbb system can be salvaged where Rhody can continue to compete for NCAAT births and make a periodic run.
There are two classes: Those in the Cartel and everyone else. And when the Cartel breaks off and goes on its own, the NCAA -- and college sports as we know them -- will die.
Perhaps the cartel(s) should just merge with the G League and XFL? Sorta like ABA and AFL teams? (But not the Flint Tropics)
Now, how would that work? Would the SEC and the B1G have a draft of G League and XFL teams? Can you imagine the excitement in Arlington or Albany as those cities wait with baited breath for their chance to join the Big Leagues?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 11 months ago

I get your point Red but, I am not where you are…yet.

Now, if in two to three years from now Archie and this staff can’t make any headway ( not even bubble consideration) and Archie walks out of frustration ultimately as the gap continues to widen, I MAY start to get to where you are now, call it a day and spend more time reminiscing while watching YouTube vids of our former tourney teams.

That said, I don’t expect Archie and staff to fail here. Archie and the program will adapt and succeed. It’s just a steeper climb back to NCAAT relevance based off of what transpired here after DH left, increase in P5 conf games, NIL , the portal and only playing for 1-2 A10 NCAAT spots.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The Ivy schools don't care one iota. URI athletics is chasing something that we will rarely be. It would be enjoyable to compete against the same group of similar institutions year after year in all sports. Let's be known for our strong academic programs. The Ivy schools could care less that there is no Physics section in the local newspaper.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 11 months ago The Ivy schools don't care one iota. URI athletics is chasing something that we will rarely be. It would be enjoyable to compete against the same group of similar institutions year after year in all sports. Let's be known for our strong academic programs. The Ivy schools could care less that there is no Physics section in the local newspaper.
Because no one reads newspapers? Unless you're trapped on a plane with no service?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The college sports world is changing before our eyes. Who could have seen the possible disintegration of the mighty ACC? There will be the 2 or 3 huge power conferences with @60 teams for football and basketball. Every other conference will have teams that are the minor leagues for the major leagues. With free transfers and NIL the majors will vie for all the best players from the minors.

What made a great basketball coach 5 years ago no longer applies. At our level it will be the ability to judge which players demoted from the majors or attracted from the lower minors can help you win. Cooley had that ability. Our coaches over the past few years didn’t possess that ability.

We will see if Miller can adapt to the new paradigm shift.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 11 months ago just making sure everyone is still not offended

anyway we can kick them out ?

my goodness this USA is so soft these days

https://nypost.com/2023/05/25/george-wa ... -backlash/
Why are you taking issue with it?

I think George Washington would rather be remembered as a revolutionary hero and 1st US president rather than a colonist under British rule.
Since the school is named after him, why not?
Yea, I couldn't care less about what their nickname is, and don't understand why people are getting so worked up.

Who the hell cares?
I never thought my choice of beer at a wedding reception would become a political statement; but somehow, unbelievably, it did.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree that what worked before for many coaches won’t work now. With social media, being out there and the cult of personality will be important for those coaches at schools not in the P6 and without large NIL bankrolls. I’m not sure a hard ass like John Chaney, would be successful today. These days with NIL and the free transfer, coaches have to be ass kissers and not hard asses unless they have the cache or hard cash.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

UCH21377 wrote: 11 months ago

Why are you taking issue with it?

I think George Washington would rather be remembered as a revolutionary hero and 1st US president rather than a colonist under British rule.
Since the school is named after him, why not?

Who the hell cares?
I never thought my choice of beer at a wedding reception would become a political statement; but somehow, unbelievably, it did.

hahaha ain’t that the truth.

God forbid you compartmentalize and drink a beer you’ve enjoyed your whole life!
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big 12 Basketball: Pros and cons of recent serious expansion candidates

Connecticut

Less than two months ago, Dan Hurley led this Huskies program to a national championship in men’s basketball, the program’s fifth in the last quarter century. Though each of those champions has been vastly different, both in player makeup and leadership, this very fact is proof that Connecticut has a dynamic basketball program. Just a few years ago, the Huskies were virtually at rock bottom, with Hurley picking up the pieces in the AAC, but now they held their own in the Big East and just cut down the nets again.

This is a very attractive candidate for the Big 12 to consider and a move that would strengthen the basketball of the league even further. Now that the Huskies are back on top of the basketball world, making a proactive move like this becomes a stellar plan, especially with the money involved. The move to the Big 12 would lead to a significant increase dollar-wise for their athletics programs, but it would come at a cost.

While the Big 12 would certainly be glad to add another market to the league, the Huskies would also be dealing with increased travel costs. Connecticut is really far away from most of the rest of the league, with West Virginia the closest program to the Huskies. Additionally, the Huskies haven’t exactly had the most prosperous football program in recent years and would need a serious upgrade to compete in the Big 12.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/05/31/ ... andidates/
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ramster, I was revisiting the boneyard realignment board today for about an hour. Many posters there think that UConn to the Big12 is pretty much a done deal after the very recent meetings between the Big 12 Commish and UConn ( one meeting in Storrs and one in NYC ). Most of the posters are in favor of the move.

A few other interesting tidbits I picked up over there…

Some of the posters mentioned that Colorado and Gonzaga are also very close to joining the Big 12.

Some posters mentioned that the BE is currently in the process of raising the conference exit fee. It will be too late to impact UConn - in their opinion - but could prevent the poaching of 2 or 3 other BE schools by the Big 12 or by other P5 conferences as P5 conferences look to maximize revenue in basketball.

A few posters also referenced an ESPN related tweet about the idea of an ACC/BE merger if UConn and 2 or 3 other schools leave the BE with UConn.

Thanks for providing the link to the boneyard in the KB Other College Sports Forums realignment thread. It is enlightening to get the perspective of other programs fans on realignment.

Interesting and uncertain times for some college basketball fans. Not sure what the realistic options are for the A10 to adapt (although I hope it isn’t adding more members to the current member roster) but I sure hope the A10 is paying close attention and isn’t asleep at the wheel.

ETA: I have come to have some respect for the Big 12 Commissioner's desire to strategically maneuver the Big 12 in response to the expansion moves by the SEC and Big 10. Especially his vision of maximizing basketball and his recognition of the value of a strong basketball conference.

I thought that with the TX and OU departures and the Big 10 adding USC and UCLA that the Big 12 was on the ropes but Brett Yormark has fought back - unlike his peer at the PAC 12 so far.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 10 months ago Ramster, I was revisiting the boneyard realignment board today for about an hour. Many posters there think that UConn to the Big12 is pretty much a done deal after the very recent meetings between the Big 12 Commish and UConn ( one meeting in Storrs and one in NYC ). Most of the posters are in favor of the move.

A few other interesting tidbits I picked up over there…

Some of the posters mentioned that Colorado and Gonzaga are also very close to joining the Big 12.

Some posters mentioned that the BE is currently in the process of raising the conference exit fee. It will be too late to impact UConn - in their opinion - but could prevent the poaching of 2 or 3 other BE schools by the Big 12 or by other P5 conferences as P5 conferences look to maximize revenue in basketball.

A few posters also referenced an ESPN related tweet about the idea of an ACC/BE merger if UConn and 2 or 3 other schools leave the BE with UConn.

Thanks for providing the link to the boneyard in the KB Other College Sports Forums realignment thread. It is enlightening to get the perspective of other programs fans on realignment.

Interesting and uncertain times for some college basketball fans. Not sure what the realistic options are for the A10 to adapt (although I hope it isn’t adding more members to the current member roster) but I sure hope the A10 is paying close attention and isn’t asleep at the wheel.

ETA: I have come to have some respect for the Big 12 Commissioner's desire to strategically maneuver the Big 12 in response to the expansion moves by the SEC and Big 10. Especially his vision of maximizing basketball and his recognition of the value of a strong basketball conference.

I thought that with the TX and OU departures and the Big 10 adding USC and UCLA that the Big 12 was on the ropes but Brett Yormark has fought back - unlike his peer at the PAC 12 so far.
Big 12 Commissioner visited UCONN May 19
UCONN is getting the most attention right now by Big 12. Colorado and Oregon also mentioned frequently.
Big boost to UCONN Football Program.
Likely to happen soon.

Depending on ACC situation, which is being driven by a poor ESPN long term package, some teams could become available to help UCONNs travel/rival situation in the northeast.
But right now it's UCONN getting the big attention.

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn/ ... 132419.php
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ramster, to add to the discussion and what some boneyard posters posted about ESPN and the ACC merging with remaining BE teams if multiple BE teams left with UConn to maximize Big 12 basketball - I don’t see that happening for the ACC, imho.

The ACC is struggling to afford to keep Clemson, UNC, Miami, FSU and others potentially leaving due to media payouts. The only thing keeping those schools in the ACC for now is the Grant of Rights agreement. So I can’t see the conference adding more teams to feed in the near future, even if it’s just for basketball - unless the legal challenges to the Grant of Rights agreement are successful and schools start leaving for other conferences, but those legal challenges can get dragged out.

Anyway, there sure are a great deal of rumors and speculation floating around the college sports universe. It’s a crazy time but interesting for me to follow during the Rhody basketball offseason.

I appreciate your reports (and from others here as well) from rival fan boards and other sources. Good stuff.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums,
The ACC is a wildcard in all this.
UCONN is bound for Big 12 it appears.

Football rules the roost
As RI Red says it's the Cartel driving the ship

If UCONN can get in the Cartel, which appears to be the case, it helps all sports, especially Football.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here's latest on ACC Meetings

As it stands, the ACC is reportedly set to earn $43 million per team in 2023-24, a figure that places the conference ahead of the Big 12 and Pac-12 but well behind the SEC and Big Ten. The gap between the ACC and the Big Two is expected to grow over the course of their new TV contracts (the Big Ten just signed a deal with Fox, CBS and NBC; the SEC's all-in deal with ESPN begins next year) -- and, crucially, both conferences will go back to the negotiating table again before the ACC's all-in deal with ESPN expires in 2036.

"We have this gap, and the gap is just not about the money," Miami AD Dan Radakovich told ESPN. "It's about schools being able to take those dollars and translate it into potentially NIL opportunities for student athletes. So forget about the fact that you might go and steal a coach if you have more money. Now it's going to get better players. That's where the rubber hits the road."

https://footballscoop.com/news/acc-spri ... ring-model

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cf ... -expansion
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think it will be cool to see UConn in the B12. Getting a chance to see Texas or Oklahoma at The Rent....good times.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago I think it will be cool to see UConn in the B12. Getting a chance to see Texas or Oklahoma at The Rent....good times.
Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC in 2024.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 10 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago I think it will be cool to see UConn in the B12. Getting a chance to see Texas or Oklahoma at The Rent....good times.
welp, so much for that...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 10 months ago
welp, so much for that...
NYG,
Even with Texas and Oklahoma leaving, the Big 12 would bring in some excitement to the Rent

Current Teams for 2023 with 2022 Ranking if Top 25
Texas and Oklahoma in Red, 4 new schools in green
Cincinnati
Baylor
BYU
Houston
Iowa State
TCU - #2
Kansas
Texas - #25
Kansas State - #14
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
UCF
Oklahoma State
West Virginia

It would by huge for UCONN to join the Big 12. Instant boost to their FBS Football program and all sports.

Some talk of Gonzaga joining the Big 12. That would be big news as the Zags would be the very 1st non-football school to join a P5.
Gonzaga could make sense since WCC Rival BYU has now joined the P5 Big 12. Also Oregon is a possible Big 12 addition.

If Gonzaga becomes the 1st domino to drop to the P5 expect other non-football or FCS football schools to follow as the glass will have been broken.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6 Big East Expansion Candidates if UCONN goes to P5 Big 12:

Dayton
While current coach Anthony Grant hasn’t yet led the Flyers to the NCAA Tournament, this Dayton program is one of the most consistent in the A-10 in recent memory. The Flyers are regular contenders near the top of the conference, and have been ranked at some point in the Top 25 in eleven different seasons since the turn of the century. They are a model of consistency in mid-major basketball.
It wouldn’t be a stretch to think that Dayton ends up in the Big East someday, even if not in this upcoming and current round of conference realignment. They fit into the natural footprint of the program, playing in a non-football conference, and they’ve been successful on the basketball court in recent years. They’d form a geographic rivalry with nearby Xavier and are former conference rivals with those Musketeers.
Dayton is a private Catholic university and this alone makes them a perfect fit for the Big East. One point of hesitation is the recent Tournament drought mentioned earlier. The Flyers were one of the very best teams in the nation in 2020 before the Tournament was canceled, but would they be contending on a regular basis in the Big East? On paper, they’d look like potential contenders, but it hasn’t been that way for Butler in recent years.

Saint Louis
When you walk into the athletics buildings on Saint Louis’s campus, you aren’t going to see national championship trophies or a slew of fancy awards, but that doesn’t mean that the Billikens wouldn’t be an excellent choice for expansion. Frankly, Saint Louis might be one of the best fits for the future of the Big East, regardless of the Huskies or anyone else departing the league.
First and foremost, getting the Big East into the St. Louis market is a great byproduct of this move. The Billikens have always had a solid basketball program and have been in contention in the A-10 in recent years. They are another non-football school that wouldn’t have to worry about those logistics. Additionally, Saint Louis fits right into the Big East’s footprint and they wouldn’t have to worry about additional travel costs or anything like that.
On the downside, Saint Louis isn’t some program that regularly makes the Big Dance; they’ve only taken 10 trips in their history, including just one in the past nine years. While current coach Travis Ford has been successful, winning at least 21 games in four of the last five years, could this team actually compete against some of the stronger programs in the Big East? They’ve been conference rivals in the past with programs like Butler, Marquette, and Xavier; they can build their program into a competitive force in a newer and tougher league.

VCU
Connecticut is the only public university in the current makeup of the Big East, meaning VCU would be an intriguing replacement. VCU would become the largest school in the conference, and they’ve already shown that they can be a competitive basketball program, even if that hasn’t come in a power conference like the Big East.
The Rams have been one of the best mid-majors in the nation in the CAA and A-10 since the turn of the century, most notably making the Final Four as an 11-seed back in 2011. VCU has been in 10 of the last 12 NCAA Tournaments and would likely be competitive in the Big East, though they clearly wouldn’t be winning at the same level. Their location also works for the conference, as there aren’t any teams in Virginia and adding the Richmond market wouldn’t hurt for any league.
VCU doesn’t have a football program and they’d certainly appreciate the increased money for their athletic programs. There aren’t really any overwhelming reasons why the Rams wouldn’t be a great fit, aside of course from being a public university. UConn got back into the Big East because of their history, but would the conference consider a new public school, and one that would be competitive in the league’s flagship sport from the beginning?

Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Wichita State

https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/06/02/ ... onn-leave/
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 10 months ago 6 Big East Expansion Candidates if UCONN goes to P5 Big 12:

Dayton
While current coach Anthony Grant hasn’t yet led the Flyers to the NCAA Tournament, this Dayton program is one of the most consistent in the A-10 in recent memory. The Flyers are regular contenders near the top of the conference, and have been ranked at some point in the Top 25 in eleven different seasons since the turn of the century. They are a model of consistency in mid-major basketball.
It wouldn’t be a stretch to think that Dayton ends up in the Big East someday, even if not in this upcoming and current round of conference realignment. They fit into the natural footprint of the program, playing in a non-football conference, and they’ve been successful on the basketball court in recent years. They’d form a geographic rivalry with nearby Xavier and are former conference rivals with those Musketeers.
Dayton is a private Catholic university and this alone makes them a perfect fit for the Big East. One point of hesitation is the recent Tournament drought mentioned earlier. The Flyers were one of the very best teams in the nation in 2020 before the Tournament was canceled, but would they be contending on a regular basis in the Big East? On paper, they’d look like potential contenders, but it hasn’t been that way for Butler in recent years.

Saint Louis
When you walk into the athletics buildings on Saint Louis’s campus, you aren’t going to see national championship trophies or a slew of fancy awards, but that doesn’t mean that the Billikens wouldn’t be an excellent choice for expansion. Frankly, Saint Louis might be one of the best fits for the future of the Big East, regardless of the Huskies or anyone else departing the league.
First and foremost, getting the Big East into the St. Louis market is a great byproduct of this move. The Billikens have always had a solid basketball program and have been in contention in the A-10 in recent years. They are another non-football school that wouldn’t have to worry about those logistics. Additionally, Saint Louis fits right into the Big East’s footprint and they wouldn’t have to worry about additional travel costs or anything like that.
On the downside, Saint Louis isn’t some program that regularly makes the Big Dance; they’ve only taken 10 trips in their history, including just one in the past nine years. While current coach Travis Ford has been successful, winning at least 21 games in four of the last five years, could this team actually compete against some of the stronger programs in the Big East? They’ve been conference rivals in the past with programs like Butler, Marquette, and Xavier; they can build their program into a competitive force in a newer and tougher league.

VCU
Connecticut is the only public university in the current makeup of the Big East, meaning VCU would be an intriguing replacement. VCU would become the largest school in the conference, and they’ve already shown that they can be a competitive basketball program, even if that hasn’t come in a power conference like the Big East.
The Rams have been one of the best mid-majors in the nation in the CAA and A-10 since the turn of the century, most notably making the Final Four as an 11-seed back in 2011. VCU has been in 10 of the last 12 NCAA Tournaments and would likely be competitive in the Big East, though they clearly wouldn’t be winning at the same level. Their location also works for the conference, as there aren’t any teams in Virginia and adding the Richmond market wouldn’t hurt for any league.
VCU doesn’t have a football program and they’d certainly appreciate the increased money for their athletic programs. There aren’t really any overwhelming reasons why the Rams wouldn’t be a great fit, aside of course from being a public university. UConn got back into the Big East because of their history, but would the conference consider a new public school, and one that would be competitive in the league’s flagship sport from the beginning?

Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Wichita State

And this.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... touts-plan

The question is if there is a domino effect and top tier A10 teams get poached by the BE, will our conference try to expand due to the losses or stand pat?
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Our conference has gotten so bloated by seemingly panic-driven expansion that the percentage of quality basketball games has shriveled. I wouldn't blame any of those schools for jumping ship.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 10 months ago Our conference has gotten so bloated by seemingly panic-driven expansion that the percentage of quality basketball games has shriveled. I wouldn't blame any of those schools for jumping ship.
The only reason they would jump ship is for the $.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 10 months ago 6 Big East Expansion Candidates if UCONN goes to P5 Big 12:

Dayton

Saint Louis

VCU

Florida Atlantic
Memphis
Wichita State

St. Louis and/or Wichita State make so much sense for the Big East, especially St. Louis
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think Dayton is the only obvious choice. They are 1 of very few non P5s that put 13k in the seats every night every season. They have the highest ceiling when you put the BE badge on their jersey.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

bigappleram wrote: 10 months ago I think Dayton is the only obvious choice. They are 1 of very few non P5s that put 13k in the seats every night every season. They have the highest ceiling when you put the BE badge on their jersey.
100% agree, but Xavier is going to have to bless that, or be strong armed into allowing them. Saint Louis is also a great fit and more likely IMO. I've been a proponent of VCU and Wichita as well, as I think the private school aspect should be secondary to the "no football" aspect. However, nothing that I've heard or read about BE candidates really includes either as serious options.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 10 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 10 months ago I think Dayton is the only obvious choice. They are 1 of very few non P5s that put 13k in the seats every night every season. They have the highest ceiling when you put the BE badge on their jersey.
100% agree, but Xavier is going to have to bless that, or be strong armed into allowing them. Saint Louis is also a great fit and more likely IMO. I've been a proponent of VCU and Wichita as well, as I think the private school aspect should be secondary to the "no football" aspect. However, nothing that I've heard or read about BE candidates really includes either as serious options.
Agreed, I don't see Xavier allowing a school less than an hour away into the conference, that's why I didn't list Dayton in the obvious camp with St. Louis and Wichita State. I could also see Georgetown trying to block VCU, though the case for that isn't as strong
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I can't imagine UConn would jump for the Big XII for several reasons.

Money. Whatever the Big XII would pay UConn (and it would be basketball - not football they'd be paying for), I can't imagine it would offset the $30M due in 2 business days to the Big East should they leave before 2025.

They already left the Big East to chase football dreams and it ruined both programs. They went back to the Big East and won a national title and seem poised to win a couple more.

Dan Hurley makes more than twice what Jim Mora makes as a coach at UConn. Even Geno Auriemma makes twice what Jim Mora makes. Basketball is the priority there. They are not going to risk their top 2 programs or their identity as the "basketball capital of the world," with a conference tournament 90 mins from campus.

The Big XII will always be a football driven conference (as are all the P5's). It's started to resemble a beefed up AAC - with less regional rivalries, a more ridiculous travel schedule, and more uncertainty.

That, and the $30M exit fee tells me they're not going anywhere.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If they do go it would almost certainly expedite Dan's move to the NBA...which I think is his eventual landing spot anyhow. Within the next 5 years he's the coach of the Knicks or Nets.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 10 months ago
In an era of streaming and chasing the big dollars those local black outs seem less relevant. Also if the league is going to benefit financially from adding UD I feel like the league would then pressure an Xavier to give up an old beef and enjoy a few extra million dollars to help make them feel better. It's about eyeballs. Dayton has more eyeballs on it than multiple BE programs already (Butler, Depaul, Seton Hall) never mind if they were to be admitted to the BE. Obi and the #1 ranking are not too distant of a memory. They have much more history, success and significantly larger fanbase than any other A10 program.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago I can't imagine UConn would jump for the Big XII for several reasons.

Money. Whatever the Big XII would pay UConn (and it would be basketball - not football they'd be paying for), I can't imagine it would offset the $30M due in 2 business days to the Big East should they leave before 2025.

They already left the Big East to chase football dreams and it ruined both programs. They went back to the Big East and won a national title and seem poised to win a couple more.

Dan Hurley makes more than twice what Jim Mora makes as a coach at UConn. Even Geno Auriemma makes twice what Jim Mora makes. Basketball is the priority there. They are not going to risk their top 2 programs or their identity as the "basketball capital of the world," with a conference tournament 90 mins from campus.

The Big XII will always be a football driven conference (as are all the P5's). It's started to resemble a beefed up AAC - with less regional rivalries, a more ridiculous travel schedule, and more uncertainty.

The narrative that chasing football/being a member of the AAC was killing UConn was never right. UConn was getting killed because they had a bad coach that was over his head when he didn't have a HOF coach's players around any longer. Dan Hurley and UConn can win big in any conference
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If we are going to lose one of our better programs to the Big East, I hope it's Saint Louis over any of the others. It'd be a loss, but I feel like that is one the conference can handle without too big of a drop. Dayton or VCU would be worst case scenario I think.
3 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Funny we were talking about this a year ago and now it is coming to fruition.

My comment from 11 months ago....

I believe that if the BE does expand, St. Louis will be on their radar.
Strong grogram, no football and a Jesuit School which will fit in nicely with the BE
Also building a new athletic facility.
VCU could also be on their radar. Winning track record, no football and location.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 10 months ago If we are going to lose one of our better programs to the Big East, I hope it's Saint Louis over any of the others. It'd be a loss, but I feel like that is one the conference can handle without too big of a drop. Dayton or VCU would be worst case scenario I think.
Totally agree Adam. If we are to be raided and all they take is SLU then we dodged a major bullet.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago I can't imagine UConn would jump for the Big XII for several reasons.

The narrative that chasing football/being a member of the AAC was killing UConn was never right. UConn was getting killed because they had a bad coach that was over his head when he didn't have a HOF coach's players around any longer. Dan Hurley and UConn can win big in any conference
You're right about that.

But the rivalries in the AAC sucked, and so did the teams.

I mean - obviously they'd lose the local rivalries, but they would be joining the #1 basketball conference. So who knows, maybe it does make sense. I'm just gambling on Dan's nostalgia for the Big East being a big factor. Or maybe he wants to dominate another conference since he's already climbed the mountain from the Big East.

But even if Dan does want to do it - that $30M is a huge hit for a school not exactly swimming in cash.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Oh yeah, that's a big chunk of change due immediately, but each Big 12 school will be making $32 million a year from the newest TV contract, compared to $4.66 million from the Big East

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... n-revenue/

https://painttouches.com/2022/07/21/big ... oes-it-go/

An extra $27 million a year is a nice way to put yourself in a better financial situation
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago

You're right about that.

But the rivalries in the AAC sucked, and so did the teams.

I mean - obviously they'd lose the local rivalries, but they would be joining the #1 basketball conference. So who knows, maybe it does make sense. I'm just gambling on Dan's nostalgia for the Big East being a big factor. Or maybe he wants to dominate another conference since he's already climbed the mountain from the Big East.

But even if Dan does want to do it - that $30M is a huge hit for a school not exactly swimming in cash.
It would need the nostalgia to be real strong. They'd be able to go up against Kansas, Baylor and Houston which are all better than the top 3 of the BE. Add in the fact that TCU, OK St, Iowa St all have periodic success and are all usually top 75ish teams by any advanced metric.

As for money, do we think the B12 as a conference wouldn't help chip in a few bucks if they really wanted UConn badly?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The more and more I see various realignment scenarios, and the A-10 headed for being behind, I see us being like the American East type conference. Not good.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

When LIV and PGA come together it helps to envision Uconn vs Baylor becoming a thing in all sports.
Cash rules everything around me Cream get the money dolla dolla bills y'all.

Dan won't love it but he is going to the NBA some day anyhow.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Dan won't love bringing UConn to Allen Fieldhouse to go toe to toe with Kansas for a conference championship? I could be wrong, but I don't see that from him
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Interesting info I read on the Boneyard Realignment Board from the US Dept of Ed for 2022 (average basketball program spending):

For individual programs, Duke ($28 mil annually) and UConn ($24.1 mil annually) are one and two. Several other BE programs are in the top 20 of spenders with PC checking in a #20 ($13.6 mil).

For basketball conferences in 2022, the BE was ranked first in avg annual spending at $13.5 mil. The SEC was second at 12.7 mil and other notables include the A10 at $5.4 mil (8th ranked by avg spending in 2022) and the Ivy at $1.5 mil (ranked 13th) in 2022.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The A10 is in big trouble...as we all know.
I believe their TV contract ends 23-24 season and if they lose a few top teams what is their leverage on getting a good contract
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Isn’t DH drastically underpaid right now or did he get a raise ??
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 10 months ago The A10 is in big trouble...as we all know.
I believe their TV contract ends 23-24 season and if they lose a few top teams what is their leverage on getting a good contract
Fify
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We've been saying this for over 10 years. Yet they add schools like Loyola.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

When has the A10 ever really had leverage on getting a good TV contract though? It's not like we have some amazing deal now that we're going to lose out on. It'll most likely just be status quo with a streaming rights deal, and some TV games on the secondary sports channels like it has been for a while now.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 10 months ago
We've been saying this for over 10 years. Yet they add schools like Loyola.
What school(s) would you have added instead that would have the networks begging us to sign a TV deal with them?
0 x