General High School Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2023-24

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: General High School Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2023-24

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not a D1 prospect unfortunately. Have watched him a few times.
But he has elite PG genes!
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Tyson Jr's biggest problem is he has a high school body. And I'm not focusing on his height.

He could probably stand the year of prep school and also a red shirt year at his first school.

If he were to take off, we could end up stealing him in the portal in about 3 years from now.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
If Archie is the coach we think he is, he needs to land this player.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Why?

If we don’t get him and we make the tourney in two years without the kid, will you think less of Archie?
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Why?

If we don’t get him and we make the tourney in two years without the kid, will you think less of Archie?
If we don't land the kid and we don't make the tourney in two years, will you quit posting?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Why?

If we don't land the kid and we don't make the tourney in two years, will you quit posting?
Nah
1 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Was a Rhody target.

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

The coach that got us Jeremy foumena and Rory Stewart
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago

Dunkley-distant to follow???

https://247sports.com/player/jalik-dunk ... -46134201/
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago

Dunkley-distant to follow???

https://247sports.com/player/jalik-dunk ... -46134201/
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised.
DCC (AZ) is a popular destination for several top prep kids.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

To the KB recruiting junkies…

Is coach Tony Mac leaving Canada to go to AZ Christian a good thing for us ?

Have we lost an important connection to Canadian talent ?

ETA: Is Tony Mac going to AZ Christian a positive for us ? Does him being there open a new domestic resource to tap for talent ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not a good thing
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We had Duane Thompson on campus during the season. The Bonnies once again 'punch above their weight', something we're not doing. And I'm tired of hearing 'well, it's because we stink right now". If we don't get players like this, we will continue to stink.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago We had Duane Thompson on campus during the season. The Bonnies once again 'punch above their weight', something we're not doing. And I'm tired of hearing 'well, it's because we stink right now". If we don't get players out like this, we will continue to stink.
Billy he was 24’ recruit originally and was here on an Unofficial visit last summer, all of our scholarships for this years team isn’t even filled yet so I’d pump the breaks on worrying this much on a 2024 recruit this early, plus Bonnie’s have a pipeline with PSA with many of their players coming from there

Wonder if there’s a thought in Archie’s mind to have JDD come here and practice with the team this year with our last scholly and his HS HC leaving
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Wonder if there’s a thought in Archie’s mind to have JDD come here and practice with the team this year with our last scholly and his HS HC leaving
Archie would probably take JDD in a second if he is able, not sure he is eligible for '23.

Aside from that, I think JDD is out of our reach.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago We had Duane Thompson on campus during the season. The Bonnies once again 'punch above their weight', something we're not doing. And I'm tired of hearing 'well, it's because we stink right now". If we don't get players like this, we will continue to stink.
He's a nice player but you're acting like they just landed some 5-star stud... I have some doubts as well, but let's see how some of our new guys look before we assume everyone sucks... Man some people on here are incredibly negative.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Archie would probably take JDD in a second if he is able, not sure he is eligible for '23.

Aside from that, I think JDD is out of our reach.
And that's my point. Players like that (Jared Terrell) weren't out of our reach not that long ago, but now they are?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago We had Duane Thompson on campus during the season. The Bonnies once again 'punch above their weight', something we're not doing. And I'm tired of hearing 'well, it's because we stink right now". If we don't get players out like this, we will continue to stink.
Billy he was 24’ recruit originally and was here on an Unofficial visit last summer, all of our scholarships for this years team isn’t even filled yet so I’d pump the breaks on worrying this much on a 2024 recruit this early, plus Bonnie’s have a pipeline with PSA with many of their players coming from there

Where's our New England pipeline? Austin Carroll is from Mass. and played at both Brewster and Worcester Academy. This is a quote from the Providence Journal by Bill Koch when Carroll was hired...."Carroll is a Massachusetts native who is expected to recruit the Northeast corridor from the New England prep school circuit to New Jersey." Why hasn't that happened?
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is one of those emotional arguments that logic just isn't going to work on.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago We had Duane Thompson on campus during the season. The Bonnies once again 'punch above their weight', something we're not doing. And I'm tired of hearing 'well, it's because we stink right now". If we don't get players like this, we will continue to stink.
He's a nice player but you're acting like they just landed some 5-star stud... I have some doubts as well, but let's see how some of our new guys look before we assume everyone sucks... Man some people on here are incredibly negative.
He's a very good player who had some good offers. It's hard to be positive with what I've witnessed the past 5 years. I was very excited when we hired Archie, Kenny and Duane. I expected them to bring in MUCH better talent than we had with Cox. I'm not assuming that every player we have now sucks. But I'm also not excited about any player on the roster. There is no one I'm thinking..'I can't wait to see him play!' Start bringing in better talent, or as BAR says, punch above our weight. I'll still be going to games and supporting the team, but I want major improvements, and soon. I'm tired of leaving the Ryan Center feeling disgusted.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
He's a very good player who had some good offers. It's hard to be positive with what I've witnessed the past 5 years. I was very excited when we hired Archie, Kenny and Duane. I expected them to bring in MUCH better talent than we had with Cox. I'm not assuming that every player we have now sucks. But I'm also not excited about any player on the roster. There is no one I'm thinking..'I can't wait to see him play!' Start bringing in better talent, or as BAR says, punch above our weight. I'll still be going to games and supporting the team, but I want major improvements, and soon. I'm tired of leaving the Ryan Center feeling disgusted.
Archie has coached one season..One...This is his second class... And it's better. I'm excited to see a lot of our new guys.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm really not that interested in freshman anymore. Unless they are super elite players that can make an immediate impact, and even then, they'll simply leave. Then you'll be bitching about them leaving after one season.

There's always something to bitch about around here, if that's what you love to do, you've come to the right place. Make no mistake.

I am very interested to see how this crop of transfers pans out, and the two freshmen we already had signed.

Maybe those will be the last freshmen we ever sign, really wouldn't bother me one iota.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Yup gotta scout the freshmen from the lower conferences when we play them
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm really not that interested in freshman anymore. Unless they are super elite players that can make an immediate impact, and even then, they'll simply leave. Then you'll be bitching about them leaving after one season.

There's always something to bitch about around here, if that's what you love to do, you've come to the right place. Make no mistake.

I am very interested to see how this crop of transfers pans out, and the two freshmen we already had signed.

Maybe those will be the last freshmen we ever sign, really wouldn't bother me one iota.
We will continue to recruit HS/ prep as we should.
Need to continue to keep connections and build pipelines, also important for having those previous relationships with players entering the portal.
It is up to the coaches to try and keep the players, by making our program relevant.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Yup gotta scout the freshmen from the lower conferences when we play them
exactly. This is truly the age of, the only good thing about freshmen, is they become sophomores. And then they use their no sit transfer to leave.

And not just from the lower conferences either, but from the A-10, the Big East, and more. Lot's of freshmen who are going to be disgruntled because they are passed over for upper classmen for playing time.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Gotta keep those skills up, Jersey. Might need them, one day...

I would imagine the new transfer to freshman recruiting policy is like 4:1.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Yup gotta scout the freshmen from the lower conferences when we play them
exactly. This is truly the age of, the only good thing about freshmen, is they become sophomores. And then they use their no sit transfer to leave.

And not just from the lower conferences either, but from the A-10, the Big East, and more. Lot's of freshmen who are going to be disgruntled because they are passed over for upper classmen for playing time.
That's what we did last year. Two of them are already gone.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I see two fates for young Mr Duane here:

1. Baptism by fire. He get's maximum playing time.
or
2. He basically gets red shirted and then transfers 365 days from now.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Remind me: was last year not year #1?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago We will continue to recruit HS/ prep as we should.
Need to continue to keep connections and build pipelines, also important for having those previous relationships with players entering the portal.
It is up to the coaches to try and keep the players, by making our program relevant.
Relevancy is an illusion. Even if we became the next Temple of the A-10 for a decade straight, we'll never be as relevant as a P5 school to these kids.

It's bad enough when other people set you up for failure, I'd hate to see you set yourself up for failure by thinking that simply winning is going to keep a talent like RJ Luis here. We need a healthy, hearty mix of players who cannot jump ship.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Where's our New England pipeline? Austin Carroll is from Mass. and played at both Brewster and Worcester Academy. This is a quote from the Providence Journal by Bill Koch when Carroll was hired...."Carroll is a Massachusetts native who is expected to recruit the Northeast corridor from the New England prep school circuit to New Jersey." Why hasn't that happened?
Glad to see someone other than myself asking the tough questions about Austin!!

Carroll is entering his 4th year and has established no pipeline anywhere. Who has he even recruited?

The Austin apologists were ready to throw a parade when he was featured in the Buru video but we all know how that ended.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The Austin apologists? Who are those guys? Do we have a list of them?
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The Austin apologists are the folks that came rushing to Austin's defense in the Josh Rivera and Assistants Under Coach Miller 2022-2023 threads when I crushed him for adding nothing of value in his time at URI.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, I see. I agree with you, he adds nothing. He's a nepotism hire at best. There, I said it.

15 said we weren't running a charity, so I'll stop there, but sometimes you have to admit...
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jim Harrick famously said, while here, every single one of our assistants has to be able to recruit. Recruiting is the life blood of college basketball.

I guess that has changed in 24 years.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Oh, I see. I agree with you, he adds nothing. He's a nepotism hire at best. There, I said it.

15 said we weren't running a charity, so I'll stop there, but sometimes you have to admit...
Agree with you here.

My opinion is we only have kept Carroll because of his dad's employment here and/or him working with Sean at Arizona.
0 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Oh, I see. I agree with you, he adds nothing. He's a nepotism hire at best. There, I said it.

That’s the spirit!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Especially since he was hired to recruit the Northeast to New Jersey region. Duane can now handle the Jersey region. Just recruit New England. New England prep schools are absolutely loaded with talent, two of which Austin attended, Go get somebody!
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Now here’s something I can totally agree w you on this because funny you say that, and yes I know assistants do more than just recruit and so on and so forth, is that Austin has got ZERO players this off-season for next year, you heard that right zero, Kenny has got six and Duane has got two, Austin is very lackluster when it comes to recruiting with schools in worse conferences out working him for better recruits and we have to settles for players who should be Sun Belt or worse.

In summary he’s been terrible when it comes to recruiting
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

'25, but didn't know where else to put it. This should make Blueram happy. He's a top 50 player.

1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

David Fuchs has committed to Rhode Island per his Instagram.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramfan22 wrote: 11 months ago David Fuchs has committed to Rhode Island per his Instagram.
Ah, good spot! Created a thread here:

viewtopic.php?t=9688
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

If he’s consistent like his dad put him in the rotation 😂😂
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I wonder if dad will visit practices ? Be a guest speaker to the team ?

If so, that’s pretty cool for the players.
0 x