2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by luke »

What most impressed me about the video of Fourmena was his agility and ball handling for a big man . In that area he reminds me a bit of Holmes
at Dayton . Hope has anything close to Holmes' ability . He could be a tough match up in the A10 if he has enough upper body strength to hold his
own against the stronger centers .
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

KingstonLane wrote: 11 months ago Did we ever get an explanation on why Foumena redshirted last year? Seemed odd given his play in the scrimmage relative to the other bigs.
Passport issues led to him being delayed on getting to campus, hence why he got there in August and not in June like Rory and Lou
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago
KingstonLane wrote: 11 months ago Did we ever get an explanation on why Foumena redshirted last year? Seemed odd given his play in the scrimmage relative to the other bigs.
Passport issues led to him being delayed on getting to campus, hence why he got there in August and not in June like Rory and Lou
Guess the staff felt that put him far enough behind to warrant it, who am I to say.

Just felt so odd given how he played in that scrimmage and how shallow our front court was
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

These clips of finest moments tell you very little. These are what players have made to sell themselves. Coaches want to see a player in continuous action.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He had mono, in the ER as he posted about, was absolutely gassed after the scrimmage and was just too far behind the other big guys so they decided to hold him out.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago Yeah, Stevey's scouting report was right on the money: no lift. 8-10 inch vertical. It's just that with his reach and height, 8-10 inch vertical is more than enough to get over the basket and block shots.

Kind of an intriguing player. I'm guessing if he is on the floor the same time at Brown, he's actually the 4, with his offense, otherwise the 5.
He and Brown will split minutes at the 5.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago He and Brown will split minutes at the 5.
Makes sense
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago
jcru wrote: 11 months ago Yeah, Stevey's scouting report was right on the money: no lift. 8-10 inch vertical. It's just that with his reach and height, 8-10 inch vertical is more than enough to get over the basket and block shots.

Kind of an intriguing player. I'm guessing if he is on the floor the same time at Brown, he's actually the 4, with his offense, otherwise the 5.

I think one of those 2 players will separate himself and become the clear-cut favorite for most minutes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago

I think one of those 2 players will separate himself and become the clear-cut favorite for most minutes.
What about Bilau when he's ready?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago

What about Bilau when he's ready?
Possibly, but his recent injury issues are a major concern.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

If Bilau comes back close to 100%, there will be good competition amongst those 3 (Brown, Foumena, Bilau) at the 5. Competition in practice will make each one better. That bodes well for the team if all three can compete while becoming and remaining healthy.

Wish we had some spy’s planted in Kingston that could give us first hand breakdowns of scrimmages to start to get a feel for how each player looks.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago He and Brown will split minutes at the 5.
Makes sense
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Green fees for a 5; can he rebound And play adequate defense ?

Then 1. Can he make any back to basket scores as the shot clock is running down. ?

2. Can he finish on a pick and roll?

Hope someone will prove he can do all three! Obviously, the jury is still out on these players.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Foumena setting high expectations for himself. I like the attitude and hope it comes to fruition!

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Foumena is one of the top bigs in the nation this year, where will he be playing next year?
2 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago If Foumena is one of the top bigs in the nation this year, where will he be playing next year?
This has become an all too common reaction. I say, let's ease off the negativity, and let the dreamers dream. It's much more fun. :)
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 11 months ago Foumena setting high expectations for himself. I like the attitude and hope it comes to fruition!

Nobody is expecting him to be an immediate star.

I just hope he can give us some solid minutes in the middle while he is on the floor.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago If Foumena is one of the top bigs in the nation this year, where will he be playing next year?
That would be a nice problem to deal with. No?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Love his comments and expressed confidence going into this upcoming season . Hope he can live up to his own high expectations . he looks to
be a skilled big man and he should already know what the competition level will be like having practiced with D1 players and observed A10 games .
I think he will surprise some people .
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wherever he wants, and hopefully that's URI, but I'm not going to worry about that now before he has even stepped foot on the court. The alternative I guess is hoping all of our players play poorly so they'll never be wanted by better programs, but that sure sounds much worse than a guy being one of the best players in the nation for us and then leaving.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 11 months ago Foumena setting high expectations for himself. I like the attitude and hope it comes to fruition!

I just hope he can give us some solid minutes in the middle while he is on the floor.
So pencil in Jeremy and Tyson starting @ the 4 and 5 opening night ??
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Very excited to watch him play
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 11 months ago

So pencil in Jeremy and Tyson starting @ the 4 and 5 opening night ??
I wouldn't bet on that.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

One of these guys s going to kick a__. Don’t know which one, but it’s going to happen.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

adam914 wrote: 11 months ago
Wherever he wants, and hopefully that's URI, but I'm not going to worry about that now before he has even stepped foot on the court. The alternative I guess is hoping all of our players play poorly so they'll never be wanted by better programs, but that sure sounds much worse than a guy being one of the best players in the nation for us and then leaving.
Exactly Adam. It’s like the old management adage what if you train your people so well that they leave. Isn’t it worse if you train them poorly and they stay. If our players are wanted by bigger schools it will be a good thing. Look where our guys not named Ish went after this year. All transferred down a level.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago
Exactly Adam. It’s like the old management adage what if you train your people so well that they leave. Isn’t it worse if you train them poorly and they stay. If our players are wanted by bigger schools it will be a good thing. Look where our guys not named Ish went after this year. All transferred down a level.
I know. It used to be that when we were really good, our coach would get snatched. Now it will probably be our players too. Yes, I want us to be really good, but if our really good players stayed here 4 years like they did in the past, that's when we'd become great and have moments like we did in '78, '88, '98, '17 and '18. It just frustrates the hell out of me the way things have become. I'm old, so I'm old school. :D
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

78, good thing we are only here on this planet for 72 years or so on avg. If we were around a lot longer- like say 100 years - imagine how frustrated and cranky we would get. :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago 78, good thing we are only here on this planet for 72 years or so on avg. If we were around a lot longer- like say 100 years - imagine how frustrated and cranky we would get. :lol:
I'm already planning on 100, so watch out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is Fuchs a rotation piece ??
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

reef wrote: 11 months ago Is Fuchs a rotation piece ??
No clue tbh, the team he did play on featured Sagaba Konate (All Big 12 player at West Virginia) and Bruno Cabocolo (played in the NBA in for 4/5 years), so that’s great players to be behind in the depth chart, but he didn’t dominate when he did get minutes in the German 1 league ( 4 pts / 2 boards ) and also only played in garbage time minutes. He also did dominate at the German 3 league (16 pts / 8 boards / 2 assists ) but in All honestly the German 3 league is very lackluster
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago
reef wrote: 11 months ago Is Fuchs a rotation piece ??
No clue tbh, the team he did play on featured Sagaba Konate (All Big 12 player at West Virginia) and Bruno Cabocolo (played in the NBA in for 4/5 years), so that’s great players to be behind in the depth chart, but he didn’t dominate when he did get minutes in the German 1 league ( 4 pts / 2 boards ) and also only played in garbage time minutes. He also did dominate at the German 3 league (16 pts / 8 boards / 2 assists ) but in All honestly the German 3 league is very lackluster
He seems to be pretty much an unknown or under the radar recruit at this point.
If Austin was able to find a diamond in the rough, power to him.
I haven't seen a offer list for Fuchs at this time.

Not knowing much about him currently or seeing him in action, I would think Rory would have the upper hand as the 4 in our rotation. Much depends on how far down Archie uses his bench.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In the clips of him, I've seen better competition at a URI pickup game. He is a developmental recruit.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Red shirt material, as someone said in recruit topic? Will be interesting to follow his development at this level. Did like some of the skills in the clips. We will see.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 11 months ago In the clips of him, I've seen better competition at a URI pickup game. He is a developmental recruit.
FWIW - I did notice the Davidson staff had interest in Fuchs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Red shirt material, as someone said in recruit topic? Will be interesting to follow his development at this level. Did like some of the skills in the clips. We will see.
He will be 20 years old November 21.
Pretty old to be redshirting.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago
section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Red shirt material, as someone said in recruit topic? Will be interesting to follow his development at this level. Did like some of the skills in the clips. We will see.
He will be 20 years old November 21.
Pretty old to be redshirting.
Nothing in the video popped "yeah, that guy has to play"
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago

I know. It used to be that when we were really good, our coach would get snatched. Now it will probably be our players too. Yes, I want us to be really good, but if our really good players stayed here 4 years like they did in the past, that's when we'd become great and have moments like we did in '78, '88, '98, '17 and '18. It just frustrates the hell out of me the way things have become. I'm old, so I'm old school. :D
The only thing I would say to that is that you are getting frustrated at something that hasn't happened yet. We haven't had a good core, coming off a strong season, with big expectations for the following year, and then losing the bulk of our talented guys to P5 transfers or NIL inducements. If/when that happens then scream for the rafters. But assuming that is a fait accompli and getting frustrated in advance seems foolish. Bonnies retained all their guys, FAU retained all their guys, Duquesne, GW, Fordham retained all their most talented guys. Great coaches will build real relationships and retain players.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Does he use up our last scholly?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

McRam wrote: 11 months ago Does he use up our last scholly?
Yes roster is full.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not sure where to put this, but this seems as good as any other thread. A little look at some of the new guys.

1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

OK, from someone who would have hard time carrying the tire across the street, I like that drill. Now, roster is set,, and time to turn my previous negative feeling about Archie heat two into a cautionary optimism for this season. My slow and steady growth expectations blew up as the season went. Hope zcoach now has a group that fits his vision. Long, long ways to go, but time for me to get behind these guys, mainly cause they wear our Keaney Blue, and they are the only guys we got. Go Rhody, looking forward to B&W scrimmage. Let’s start the climb back to Rhody is relevant again in the conference.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great saying the guys working hard , love these videos we put out
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Nice, when will they actually use the practice facility for practice?
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RIFan wrote: 11 months ago Nice, when will they actually use the practice facility for practice?
When they have locker rooms.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago OK, from someone who would have hard time carrying the tire across the street, I like that drill. Now, roster is set,, and time to turn my previous negative feeling about Archie heat two into a cautionary optimism for this season. My slow and steady growth expectations blew up as the season went. Hope zcoach now has a group that fits his vision. Long, long ways to go, but time for me to get behind these guys, mainly cause they wear our Keaney Blue, and they are the only guys we got. Go Rhody, looking forward to B&W scrimmage. Let’s start the climb back to Rhody is relevant again in the conference.
I’m nervous and also really excited to see how the new roster plays.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

KevanBoyles wrote: 11 months ago One of these guys s going to kick a__. Don’t know which one, but it’s going to happen.
I feel like it’s gonna be Montgomery or House.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 11 months ago
section(105) wrote: 11 months ago OK, from someone who would have hard time carrying the tire across the street, I like that drill. Now, roster is set,, and time to turn my previous negative feeling about Archie heat two into a cautionary optimism for this season. My slow and steady growth expectations blew up as the season went. Hope zcoach now has a group that fits his vision. Long, long ways to go, but time for me to get behind these guys, mainly cause they wear our Keaney Blue, and they are the only guys we got. Go Rhody, looking forward to B&W scrimmage. Let’s start the climb back to Rhody is relevant again in the conference.
Yes, I am sure we all are.

Lots of pressure on the staff this season.
Much depends on how fast they can whip this group into a team, making all the pieces fit.

I have a feeling they will struggle early then hopefully settle in as the season goes along.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

rhodyram22 wrote: 11 months ago
Yes, I am sure we all are.

Lots of pressure on the staff this season.
Much depends on how fast they can whip this group into a team, making all the pieces fit.

I have a feeling they will struggle early then hopefully settle in as the season goes along.
That’s a fair estimate. I hope they gel earlier and beat Northwestern lol.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Coming soon, Magellan Time
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938